E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Multi-beam in Canada?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 06:12 PM

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2018 E400S
Originally Posted by rbrylaw

Over the last three years, we have to believe they've sold thousands and thousands of cars in the US with the limited able'd Intelligent Lighting system. One can surmise it will be costly to reprogram thousands of cars. Will Mercedes be that generous and do this for us? Or will they say, you bought it this way, so we're under no obligation to change your lights? I'd be delighted if they do offer to reprogram. I won't be surprised if they don't.

Same issue for crippled drive pilot is 2018 vs 2019 model year E400/E450. Similar to reprogramming lights, drive pilot could also be reprogrammed. Tesla has been doing this (free software updates) for years. The MB USA business model of purchasing a new car to get latest software is absurd, and eventually will hurt sales (MB will of course adapt when that becomes an issue).
The following users liked this post:
bellavance (05-16-2020)
Old 11-21-2018, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 797 Likes on 629 Posts
Originally Posted by rustybear3
As far as I'm aware, the pricing structure is basically the same for all markets; nothing that I've read or seen demonstrates anything different. I sincerely doubt that they are having us pay less for the same options offered in European markets.

Have you read anywhere that MB reduced the price of the intelligent light option in the US market because of this lack of shielding? I haven't.
The price structure is quite different between markets with the US being one of the lowest priced (excluding VAT) markets worldwide. To see this one merely has to go to a Mercedes-Benz site in a different market and configure a build for comparison. One cannot use base prices because base features also vary between markets. For example every feature is priced as an option or is within an optional package.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 151 Likes on 129 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet NEW Mercedes 2020 GLC300 graphite gray SUV
Originally Posted by ua549
The price structure is quite different between markets with the US being one of the lowest priced (excluding VAT) markets worldwide. To see this one merely has to go to a Mercedes-Benz site in a different market and configure a build for comparison. One cannot use base prices because base features also vary between markets. For example every feature is priced as an option or is within an optional package.

You are correct in that it is difficult to compare the markets. Almost all the European and German markets have the intelligent light system as standard or within packages. The UK market, IMO, even with its VAT is about break even with the US because of packages they get that we have separated as options. It's very tough to determine what they eventually pay for their light system. I prefer to believe it's about the same, unless they tell us or I read differently. if you truly believe that you've paid less for your intelligent light system then everyone else internationally, I guess you need not concern yourself with any potential upgrades in the future. Be happy with WYSIWYG.

As for myself, I do look forward to getting it, and if I can induce MB to do it with a letter or petition etc., then I'll do it. I do feel they have an obligation to rectify units that have been monkeyed with. Who knows what will happen. Let's just agree to disagree. Just my opinion.

​​​​​​
Originally Posted by wagonsrock
Same issue for crippled drive pilot is 2018 vs 2019 model year E400/E450. Similar to reprogramming lights, drive pilot could also be reprogrammed.
How is Drive pilot 2018 different from 2019?

​​​​​​
Originally Posted by rbrylaw
Will Mercedes be that generous and do this for us? Or will they say, you bought it this way, so we're under no obligation to change your lights? I'd be delighted if they do offer to reprogram. I won't be surprised if they don't.
We (I) were hosed by Cadillac which promised in writing to keep our CUE systems always updated and that it would never become obsolete. They reneged, lawsuits were filed and nothing came of it. So yes, I wouldn't be surprised if MB follows that same line.

Last edited by rustybear3; 11-21-2018 at 09:11 PM.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2020 C300 Coupe
Its the same hardware (high beam assist plus abilities at least), I can confirm this - my friend and I were able to enable it on my 2020 c300 coupe. Its only disabled by software, we were able to manually code it ON.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:25 PM

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts
Porsche Cayman S, Mercedes W213, Nissan Titan, BMW X5, Chevrolet Suburban
Originally Posted by Nephilim
Its the same hardware (high beam assist plus abilities at least), I can confirm this - my friend and I were able to enable it on my 2020 c300 coupe. Its only disabled by software, we were able to manually code it ON.

How were you able to do that?
Old 02-16-2020, 11:09 PM

2020 C300 Coupe
Originally Posted by CarFan1
How were you able to do that?
DTS Monaco manual coding 628

Old 02-17-2020, 07:12 PM

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
2018 E300
DTS Monaco manual coding 628

https://youtube.com/watch?v=rzj_LdiZJhk
Very cool. Any video of it turning off (isolating) for oncoming traffic?
Old 02-17-2020, 11:06 PM

2020 C300 Coupe
Originally Posted by NFAREVIEW
Very cool. Any video of it turning off (isolating) for oncoming traffic?
It’s hard to see with the camera because of the light of the incoming car, but I’ll try to see when I install the dash cam if it’s better.

You can see the isolating effect a little better in this video

bellavance (05-16-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 08:19 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 E300 4Matic.
I was led to believe by Mercedes-Benz that this system could address all 84 LEDs one by one, but what I see here is a black blotch that’s not very impressive.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:13 AM

2020 C300 Coupe
Originally Posted by bellavance
I was led to believe by Mercedes-Benz that this system could address all 84 LEDs one by one, but what I see here is a black blotch that’s not very impressive.
did you watch the second video I posted? It’s really accurate, but we went on hills on purpose to amplify the effect otherwise you can’t tell since it’s so fast and accurate.

bellavance (02-18-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 10:37 AM

2018 E300 4Matic.
Is there a way to activate this in my 2018 E300 instead of the system that turns off the top row of LEDs automatically when following or meeting another car?
Old 02-18-2020, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Oh wow.. my W212 has ILS that was capable of something similar, but also disabled in USA. If there is an easy way to turn this on I would pay for it.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:22 PM

2020 C300 Coupe
Is there a way to activate this in my 2018 E300 instead of the system that turns off the top row of LEDs automatically when following or meeting another car?
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
Oh wow.. my W212 has ILS that was capable of something similar, but also disabled in USA. If there is an easy way to turn this on I would pay for it.

Yes you can activate adaptive high beam assist plus, you need DTS as well.

PM me if you have access to DTS, my friend can do it remotely
Old 02-18-2020, 07:16 PM

2018 E300 4Matic.
What is DTS ?

Please tell me what is DTS.

Yes you can activate adaptive high beam assist plus, you need DTS as well.

PM me if you have access to DTS, my friend can do it remotely
Old 02-18-2020, 08:27 PM

2020 C300 Coupe
Please tell me what is DTS.
dts monaco, google it - or you can ask around your car shops see if someone is willing to help you
bellavance (02-21-2020)
Old 02-21-2020, 11:06 AM

2018 E300 4Matic.
I’ve googled and found DTS MONACO software but not how you connect it to the W213 ... where can I get the connector?
Old 05-09-2020, 03:30 AM

Received 75 Likes on 37 Posts
20 E450 Luxury
Just want to add some perspective from what has been said on various websites as well as recap some points made here. The operative word is "Adaptive Highbeam Assist+"

The led "multibeam" US/Canada (code 640) have identical part numbers for the control module and the led matrix units to the EU cars. I'm speaking for w213 up to 2019. The EU order code is 628 for Active Highbeam Assist+, combined with 641 (642 RHD) instead of US/Canada "640". Just the control logic (software coding) is different. "Dumbed down" as someone put it.

Both US and Canada are changing their regulations to allow this new type of single unit (no separate physical high and low beam parts) US has not yet officially revised regs yet, but will do so in the not distant future. Canada has changed.
Mercedes is pretty 'locked down' at the US dealer level, as was pointed out, but for anyone having coding expertise this is not a barrier. I have suggested an OBDII plugin module be created that can override the factor 640 setup, but this is just at concept stage. (and I would not be directly involved)

Finally, there is still some confusion, even among experts, as to what models have what kind of lighting system. I saw a MMHAudo.com thread where an "expert" was very insistent that W213 Code 640 parts and function were physically different from 641/642, not realizing the these codes are used for w212 and w213 but have no physical bearing on the actual parts or technology used between the two models. This was unfortunate.

The background on this is that for the earlier cars the LED "active lighting" option was using a 24 led static matrix, variable intensity high beam and a physically separate 4 LED low beam. This low beam was fog, turning lamps, and also supplemented high beams by its ability to swivel 14 degrees. Under the name Adaptive Highbeam Assist achieved similar functionality as the new system. The W213 with Multibeam lamp concept is called Adaptive Highbeam Assist+ (code 628) with its 84 leds in three rows that handle all lighting functions. (aside from the usual provision for a low speed turn lamp and a parking lamp.) There is no longer a physically separate low and high beam mechanism.

To further cloud the issue, a majority of threads seem to be about retrofitting LED headlight units to non-LED c-class cars, for which, apparently, all kinds of software adjustments are required. These two factors make a "state of the art" assessment for W213 Multibeam recoding very confusing, as there is almost no mention of w213 in the LED headlight threads. My guess is the EU program logic is 'baked' into the computer system and has been by passed and directed to a simple on-off condition for the "high beam" row of the 84 Leds. At most two or three flags would need reset to put the more complex program logic back into full EU functionality.

There is a bit of research to be done, but like CarPlay/Android for the 2016 w212, Mercedes said no, but in fact it was quite straight forward and ODBII modules can be purchased on-line. I would hope this is the direction the Mutlbeam/Adaptive Highbeam Assist+ question is headed. Unless of course the next trip to the dealer resets it.

And, in closing there is a TSB (bulletin) on many 2017-18 US cars where Multibeam was not working as intended, which is seperate from the dumbed down Code 628 Active Highbeam Assist+!
The following 4 users liked this post by Mike__S:
bellavance (05-09-2020), bobblehead (06-18-2020), JTK44 (05-09-2020), wagonsrock (05-09-2020)
Old 05-09-2020, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Mike__S
The background on this is that for the earlier cars the LED "active lighting" option was using a 24 led static matrix, variable intensity high beam and a physically separate 4 LED low beam. This low beam was fog, turning lamps, and also supplemented high beams by its ability to swivel 14 degrees. Under the name Adaptive Highbeam Assist achieved similar functionality as the new system. The W213 with Multibeam lamp concept is called Adaptive Highbeam Assist+ (code 628) with its 84 leds in three rows that handle all lighting functions. (aside from the usual provision for a low speed turn lamp and a parking lamp.) There is no longer a physically separate low and high beam mechanism.
So the W212 has this lighting - although reading through the description I cannot figure out what is what while looking at the lights.
Old 05-09-2020, 12:18 PM

20 E450 Luxury
A W212 with code 640 DYNAMIC LED HEADLIGHTS, SAE, RIGHT HAND TRAFFIC in the build sheet has the "24 led static matrix" headlights as described. This information came from an online Mercedes PDF I unearthed. My 2016 E400 w212 "MOPF" had them.

I did not research W212 MOPF LED units other than to note the different design concept "MULTIBEAM" uses in the W213 using the same option code 640. The code 640 is very different animal in the w213 as compared to the w212.

Old 05-09-2020, 12:26 PM

2020 C300 Coupe
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
So the W212 has this lighting - although reading through the description I cannot figure out what is what while looking at the lights.
A W212 with code 640 DYNAMIC LED HEADLIGHTS, SAE, RIGHT HAND TRAFFIC in the build sheet has the "24 led static matrix" headlights as described. This information came from an online Mercedes PDF I unearthed. My 2016 E400 w212 "MOPF" had them.

I did not research W212 MOPF LED units other than to note the different design concept "MULTIBEAM" uses in the W213 using the same option code 640. The code 640 is very different animal in the w213 as compared to the w212.
Just want to add some perspective from what has been said on various websites as well as recap some points made here. The operative word is "Adaptive Highbeam Assist+"

The led "multibeam" US/Canada (code 640) have identical part numbers for the control module and the led matrix units to the EU cars. I'm speaking for w213 up to 2019. The EU order code is 628 for Active Highbeam Assist+, combined with 641 (642 RHD) instead of US/Canada "640". Just the control logic (software coding) is different. "Dumbed down" as someone put it.

Both US and Canada are changing their regulations to allow this new type of single unit (no separate physical high and low beam parts) US has not yet officially revised regs yet, but will do so in the not distant future. Canada has changed.
Mercedes is pretty 'locked down' at the US dealer level, as was pointed out, but for anyone having coding expertise this is not a barrier. I have suggested an OBDII plugin module be created that can override the factor 640 setup, but this is just at concept stage. (and I would not be directly involved)

Finally, there is still some confusion, even among experts, as to what models have what kind of lighting system. I saw a MMHAudo.com thread where an "expert" was very insistent that W213 Code 640 parts and function were physically different from 641/642, not realizing the these codes are used for w212 and w213 but have no physical bearing on the actual parts or technology used between the two models. This was unfortunate.

To further cloud the issue, a majority of threads seem to be about retrofitting LED headlight units to non-LED c-class cars, for which, apparently, all kinds of software adjustments are required. These two factors make a "state of the art" assessment for W213 Multibeam recoding very confusing, as there is almost no mention of w213 in the LED headlight threads. My guess is the EU program logic is 'baked' into the computer system and has been by passed and directed to a simple on-off condition for the "high beam" row of the 84 Leds. At most two or three flags would need reset to put the more complex program logic back into full EU functionality.

There is a bit of research to be done, but like CarPlay/Android for the 2016 w212, Mercedes said no, but in fact it was quite straight forward and ODBII modules can be purchased on-line. I would hope this is the direction the Mutlbeam/Adaptive Highbeam Assist+ question is headed. Unless of course the next trip to the dealer resets it.

And, in closing there is a TSB (bulletin) on many 2017-18 US cars where Multibeam was not working as intended, which is seperate from the dumbed down Code 628 Active Highbeam Assist+!

look at my reply with the video above you, my w205 came with Multibeam and my buddy and I were able to enable full function of it, like the EU version via coding only
Old 05-09-2020, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A W212 with code 640 DYNAMIC LED HEADLIGHTS, SAE, RIGHT HAND TRAFFIC in the build sheet has the "24 led static matrix" headlights as described. This information came from an online Mercedes PDF I unearthed. My 2016 E400 w212 "MOPF" had them..
Would you happen to have the PDF you could post or send me?
Old 05-09-2020, 04:37 PM

20 E450 Luxury
Naphilim,
I did see your post.
one has to ask if a 'simple' reset also the case for the W213. We can assume so, but,...
W205 2020 may or may not have identical firmware options to 2016-19 W213?? Just asking.
What codes were changed in what sections?
In sections EIS and (S)MPC by chance?
The other issue is if SAM-F and HLI (left,right) have IHC+ code already imbedded on the W213 or not.
You are implying the 2020 W205 did have all this IHC+ function code already imbedded and only needed turned on at a couple key places in the software.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:19 PM

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2018 E400S
So pissed off that MB's sale model is never to upgrade/recode software disabled features. If an OBDII module becomes available, I'm on board.
Thanks for the most informative post on this topic for a couple of years.
bellavance (05-12-2020)
Old 05-09-2020, 10:09 PM

20 E450 Luxury
LILBENZ230

https://media.daimler.com/marsMediaS...ml?oid=9905065 About the CLS, but this was the technology on the E-class as well and compares new MULTIBEAM with what was then existing MB headlamp technology,
Old 05-16-2020, 03:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 E300
It’s hard to see with the camera because of the light of the incoming car, but I’ll try to see when I install the dash cam if it’s better.

You can see the isolating effect a little better in this video

https://youtu.be/ATSGFDJl84M
Hey Nephilim,

Will your DRL turn blue for several second before turn white upon start the car?
bellavance (05-16-2020)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Multi-beam in Canada?