E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Multi-beam in Canada?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2020, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 797 Likes on 629 Posts
Originally Posted by TugboatBill
None of the images/links are working for me. Maybe a forum issue?
The links are rubbish and reference neither a valid image file nor a valid web page.
Old 06-06-2020, 01:19 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2019 E450 4 matic
I am definitely interested in purchasing the code, but I first would like to know a couple of things. Does reverting back to original programming and then reinstalling Euro style headlight code work consistently so it can be returned to original programming prior to a dealer performed State inspection then back to Euro code every year, and will dealer programming updates interfere with the reinstallation of the Euro style headlight program? I hope these two question can be answered.

Thanks!
Old 06-06-2020, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Originally Posted by 50thae
I am definitely interested in purchasing the code, but I first would like to know a couple of things. Does reverting back to original programming and then reinstalling Euro style headlight code work consistently so it can be returned to original programming prior to a dealer performed State inspection then back to Euro code every year, and will dealer programming updates interfere with the reinstallation of the Euro style headlight program? I hope these two question can be answered.

Thanks!
According to Vladimir you can revert as many times as you would like. I see no reason to turn this off, however. Do you think the dealer is this clever? The inspections are usually a test of whether or not the lights work, not the intricate details of how they work. I think you're overthinking it a bit.

Old 06-06-2020, 03:36 PM

2019 E450 4 matic
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
According to Vladimir you can revert as many times as you would like. I see no reason to turn this off, however. Do you think the dealer is this clever? The inspections are usually a test of whether or not the lights work, not the intricate details of how they work. I think you're overthinking it a bit.

Until something malfunctions on the headlights and MB refuses to fix it under warranty because they blame the non-factory coding for the problem. As to the second question I have, I don't want to purchase it only to have it nullified because of a dealer update to the system. They are both reasonable questions.
Old 06-06-2020, 03:46 PM

Received 75 Likes on 37 Posts
20 E450 Luxury

Thanks!
Yes, it quickly can be changed back and forth - I did this three times comparing US/Canada 640 to EU 642 firmware.

Note that any continuous dynamic high/low beam concept for all manufactures will be DOT approved soon. So, I would just install it and if dealer updates, simply load it again. MOT inspection will never notice low beam cut off difference, it is a non-issue.
The following users liked this post:
LILBENZ230 (06-06-2020)
Old 06-06-2020, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Mike__S
Yes, it quickly can be changed back and forth - I did this three times comparing US/Canada 640 to EU 642 firmware.

Note that any continuous dynamic high/low beam concept for all manufactures will be DOT approved soon. So, I would just install it and if dealer updates, simply load it again. MOT inspection will never notice low beam cut off difference, it is a non-issue.
Old 06-06-2020, 04:22 PM

Received 75 Likes on 37 Posts
20 E450 Luxury
Until something malfunctions on the headlights and MB refuses to fix it under warranty because they blame the non-factory coding for the problem. As to the second question I have, I don't want to purchase it only to have it nullified because of a dealer update to the system. They are both reasonable questions.
Any the "nullification" concern would require MB encrypting the entire firmware suite, which is extremely unlikely, as it risks causing big problems for MB dealers, dealer mechanics and particularly with regulators changed with keeping manufactures from locking out independent repair shops through proprietary, unavailable or needlessly expensive software tools. There have been enough court cases on this subject to make it highly unlikely. The one area that has become tricky is odometer values storage in on-board computers, and this area is encrypted, but the key is available to authorized entities. Too many clever people were getting low mile leases, running up double or triple the mileage and resetting. Additionally the insurance companies have are now offering mileage based insurance rates, a convenience cross check for milage tampering. While vehicle firmware is not exactly "open source" is is not closed either.

There are plenty of very competent industrial control programmers with a side hobby of automotive firmware, never mind the thousands of individuals actually employed writing automotive control software and firmware integrations. This may seem black magic, but it is not. All that is being done is one version of factory written firmware is being substituted for a different version of factory firmware. Simply a sophisticated Cut and Paste exercise. Either way it is just a bunch of 1's and 0's doing their job. Nothing is risk free, but what we are doing here is pretty close. I would put the risk somewhere between getting hit by a meteorite and one of my Soufflés collapsing, as in not yet! OK?
Old 06-06-2020, 06:22 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 E300 4Matic.
Unanswered Question.

Anybody answered this question?

Originally Posted by TonyC0101
Hey Nephilim,

Will your DRL turn blue for several second before turn white upon start the car?
Old 06-06-2020, 07:19 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 CLS550C4 (C218)
Originally Posted by bellavance
Anybody answered this question?

the “unlock” provided by Valdimir does not enable the blue welcoming DRL’s

i did ask him about this as so many people are asking about it. He replied with: “I did not do the White-> blue codings but we can try later especially in this feature”

so maybe coming soon, or later. . .

but we can try later on especially this feature

bellavance (06-06-2020)
Old 06-06-2020, 07:33 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 E300 4Matic.
Let’s hope he implements the full Euro settings.

Originally Posted by wmkizer
the “unlock” provided by Valdimir does not enable the blue welcoming DRL’s

i did ask him about this as so many people are asking about it. He replied with: “I did not do the White-> blue codings but we can try later especially in this feature”

so maybe coming soon, or later. . .

Old 06-06-2020, 07:51 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 CLS550C4 (C218)
fingers crossed

Originally Posted by bellavance
Old 06-06-2020, 09:29 PM

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
'19 AMG E53 Cpe, '23 EQS 580 SUV, '88 560SL, '35 Ford 5w coupe, '53 MGTD and others
I would be interested if there were a full suite of ROW options available and the price was a tad lower.. I had the dutch guy (benznl or something like that) re-coded a number of settings on our old C55 AMG for a lot less money also and that was in person.
Old 06-07-2020, 01:53 PM

2019 E450 4 matic
Any the "nullification" concern would require MB encrypting the entire firmware suite, which is extremely unlikely, as it risks causing big problems for MB dealers, dealer mechanics and particularly with regulators changed with keeping manufactures from locking out independent repair shops through proprietary, unavailable or needlessly expensive software tools. There have been enough court cases on this subject to make it highly unlikely. The one area that has become tricky is odometer values storage in on-board computers, and this area is encrypted, but the key is available to authorized entities. Too many clever people were getting low mile leases, running up double or triple the mileage and resetting. Additionally the insurance companies have are now offering mileage based insurance rates, a convenience cross check for milage tampering. While vehicle firmware is not exactly "open source" is is not closed either.

There are plenty of very competent industrial control programmers with a side hobby of automotive firmware, never mind the thousands of individuals actually employed writing automotive control software and firmware integrations. This may seem black magic, but it is not. All that is being done is one version of factory written firmware is being substituted for a different version of factory firmware. Simply a sophisticated Cut and Paste exercise. Either way it is just a bunch of 1's and 0's doing their job. Nothing is risk free, but what we are doing here is pretty close. I would put the risk somewhere between getting hit by a meteorite and one of my Soufflés collapsing, as in not yet! OK?

Very good explanation. Thank you Mike_S.
Old 06-07-2020, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by lkfoster
I would be interested if there were a full suite of ROW options available and the price was a tad lower.. I had the dutch guy (benznl or something like that) re-coded a number of settings on our old C55 AMG for a lot less money also and that was in person.
Not a good comparison. I had a W203 that a friend on the forum did numerous coding things on as well - free of charge. However, times have changed and the coding on Mercedes is much more difficult these days. Steve was awesome and did a lot for the W203 community back in those days but I'm pretty sure he acknowledged that starting with the W204 things changed.
Old 06-07-2020, 03:34 PM

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
2019 E450 Cabriolet, 2020 GLS450
Now that I’m seriously considering buying Valdimir’s code for my 2019 A238, my wife wants to know if she can get this for her 2020 GLS450
Old 06-07-2020, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by sackboydad
Now that I’m seriously considering buying Valdimir’s code for my 2019 A238, my wife wants to know if she can get this for her 2020 GLS450
Vladimir told me at the time he was writing code for each model one by one. I was his test subject for the FL W212. You should ask, I don't see why he couldn't.
Old 06-11-2020, 02:39 PM

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts
2020 GLE53 AMG
You will not regret it. The difference it makes at night is worth the cost of entry.
I got out for an hour into true dark roads, and even 10 meter fog last night with my 2017 E300 "Multibeam:" LED Intelligent Light System equipped with Vladimir's US/Canada 640->EU 642 firmware modification. This loads via the ODBII port in about 5 minutes including a backup step.

As I have already pointed out, owners who never travel at night outside their well lit city roads probably will not benefit from this modification much less the actual factory EU Multibeam option. What is does do on semi-dark road stretches and in unlit rural roads is, however, a revelation. Anyone who does travel outside built-up, well lit areas should modify the US and Canada Multibeam LED units to their full function with Vladimir's firmware mod.

Driving in the city there are subtile differences, the principle one is the European high right hand cutoff that illuminates the right hand verge. This 'low beam' pattern feature has been a world wide standard since the 1960's and gives a better sense of space, and makes signs and such easier to read. The MB intersection, turning beam and cornering features already work, but I felt the EU 642 settings were a bit brighter than our 640 setup. That about covers it for city streets.

Once above ~30mph/50kph the automatic high beam we have is changed to a variable beam intensity and coverage that is noticeably better as the street lighting becomes lower. This is the new part. As it road becomes dark the full beam power turns on in a wide full beam. As advertised by EU Mercedes Multibeam Youtube illustrations, I was driving with the full beam manually set (headlight switch full clockwise, dimming lever forward) and not a single oncoming car flashed their headlight to complain of blinding light. However, proceeding cars ahead of me are not blocked until the road becomes darker. They get blasted with light because the system does not have enough light contrast to know to block out the car ahead of you. So it worked just as a test, but would I would leave the headlight switch in Auto so it can function properly.

The fog lamp pattern is slightly dipped and again brighter and a little higher on the right hand side with 642 (EU) vs; 640 (US/Canada), Unexpectedly, last night I drove into 10m fog at about 1000 meters elevation and appreciated this improved pattern. So again, if you find yourself in fog a few times a month, changing the firmware is recommended.

Now, when driving on an un-lit street or road, the 642 EU firmware really comes into its own. The beam rises slightly and light intensity increases. Oncoming cars, highly reflective parked car tail lights, road signs are attenuated and sometimes blocked completely. The beam intensity varies with vehicle speed, throwing a brighter and brighter lite forward. In the presence of oncoming traffic it tones down slightly and starts masking oncoming traffic. It is interesting that this masking out of oncoming traffic is rarely noticeable, for the simple fact you are looking into their bright headlights (duh!). This fact explains why the MB Multibeam is not actual video, but illustrations that demonstrate the concept and its various features.

My experience with the EU 642 firmware ODBII modification is very positive and I recommend it for those who frequently drive at night in outlaying areas or routinely make inter-city trips. Vladimir has been doing firmware recoding for several years now and has a solid reputation.
I accepted the challenge to be the GLC beta tester for IHC+ in Canada.
I cannot add more than what Mike_S and LILBENZ230 described, fully agree.
I am attaching a video I took after I applied Vladimir solution.
Attached Files
File Type: avi
IHC+.avi (14.07 MB, 294 views)
bellavance (06-11-2020)
Old 06-11-2020, 03:40 PM

Ordered from Vladimir. Be here on Monday.
bellavance (06-11-2020)
Old 06-11-2020, 11:07 PM

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2018 E400S
Hi Mike,

I just installed Vladimir's update and drove on roads with no street lights. I did not notice any difference, but left my light switch in the auto position (with stalk forwards). As usual, the high beams dimmed automatically for oncoming traffic, and then swept outwards once cars passed. Are we supposed to leave the light switch in full clockwise position (high beams on all the time) for the EU lighting tricks to work?

Thanks for input.

UPDATE: I did not realize that I needed to use the center console rotary switch to select 642 activation yesterday, and only backed up the log file, so nothing actually changed! Installed correctly today, and will test tonight.

Last edited by wagonsrock; 06-12-2020 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Installation error
The following 3 users liked this post by wagonsrock:
Andrea Teofilo (06-12-2020), Arti Shamailau (06-12-2020), bellavance (06-12-2020)
Old 06-12-2020, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by wagonsrock
Hi Mike,

I just installed Vladimir's update and drove on roads with no street lights. I did not notice any difference, but left my light switch in the auto position (with stalk forwards). As usual, the high beams dimmed automatically for oncoming traffic, and then swept outwards once cars passed. Are we supposed to leave the light switch in full clockwise position (high beams on all the time) for the EU lighting tricks to work?

Thanks for input.

UPDATE: I did not realize that I needed to use the center console rotary switch to select 642 activation yesterday, and only backed up the log file, so nothing actually changed! Installed correctly today, and will test tonight.
Well how did the night test go? Are you as impressed as the rest of us?
bellavance (06-12-2020)
Old 06-12-2020, 10:05 PM

2018 E400S
Well how did the night test go? Are you as impressed as the rest of us?
Yes it works as advertised! Worth the investment, but only if you drive on roads without street lights; in city driiving I can't see any advantage. Seeinga black box around car in front of you is cool; more amazing is that high beams remain on when an oncoming car approaches, so there's no change in illumination on right (passenger side, but left beam gets shaped not to blind oncoming driver.

One thing I did learn from playing around on this test drive is that beam shaping only occurs when light switch is set to auto (the default position). When the switch is full clockwise, the high beams stay on all the time, irrespective of whether there is oncoming traffic. Makes sense to me because there may be times you want high beams on no matter what.

I learned about this option from this thread, and from comments posted here - thanks to everyone.
The title 'Multi-beam in Canada' is a bit misleading because all of this applies to US market as well.
bobblehead (06-18-2020)
Old 06-12-2020, 10:19 PM

2018 E400S
Originally Posted by sackboydad
Ordered from Vladimir. Be here on Monday.
None of the movies I've seen fully explain the installation process, and when I got mine my 1st attempt at installation did not work; Vladimir forgot to send me instructions!

Here's what you need to do:
1) turn on car (full on, but without starting engine) and wait about a minutefor command to fully boot (e.g wait for navigation, voice commands etc to load)
2) Insert the device into OBD socket - press firmly to ensure its correctly seated.
3) The script Save Backup to LOGFILE will be visible. Click on the command rotary dial on the console to activate; it takes less than a minute.
4) The screen will indicates when backup has finished, and instruct you to remove module.
5) Turn ignition on and off a couple of times, and then repeat steps 1 and 2 above
6) Turn the rotary dial of the command control on the center console and a new script will appear 'Activation SA628 On/Revert'
7) Click the command button to activate; it takes several minutes to run, but when its complete, it again instructs you to remove module.

Thats it. One very important thing (per Vladimir) is not to interrupt the process while an update is in progress. For the light activate it looks as though the process has stalled; it has not, just be patient and wait for it to be complete.
Old 06-14-2020, 02:08 PM

So DHL delivered it about 30 minutes ago. Followed the instructions. Ignition but not motor on waited 1 min for COMAND to fully boot. Backup portion worked successfully. Removed odb then went to start procedure again this time moving knob to activate. Got EXCEPTION SEE LOG FILE. REMOVE MODULE.

I tried several times. Twice following Vladimirs instructions that do not say to turn the car completely off between backup and activate, and twice following the instructions in this forum that say after backup turn ignition on and off a few times then wait a minute then move on to install. Each time all I got was an exception error
Old 06-14-2020, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 372 Likes on 244 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon, 2017 Z51 Corvette
Are you getting the exception on the center display or on the driver's display? I got a warning on the driver's display but ignored it and just continued with the setup on the center. After I was done I went for a short drive. Afterward the driver side warning was gone and hasn't come back.
Old 06-14-2020, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by TugboatBill
Are you getting the exception on the center display or on the driver's display? I got a warning on the driver's display but ignored it and just continued with the setup on the center. After I was done I went for a short drive. Afterward the driver side warning was gone and hasn't come back.
center. Vladimir is already in contact with me and I just sent him the log file. Thanks for replying!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Multi-beam in Canada?