E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Brake judder

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2023, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 268 Likes on 210 Posts
2019 E300
If it only vibrate on the highway and only while braking, usually that is a wrapped rotor. If it vibrates while cruising at high speed, it usually means the tires need to be balance.
Old 05-22-2023, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E220d Premium Plus
It doesn’t bother me as much now but what I noticed was is not using the brake HOLD function makes a difference…
Old 05-22-2023, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E300
Originally Posted by seedy
It doesn’t bother me as much now but what I noticed was is not using the brake HOLD function makes a difference…
the brake hold function applies the parking brake when you come to a stop, it has nothing to do with vibrate while braking at high speed.
Old 05-22-2023, 06:32 PM

E220d Premium Plus
Originally Posted by The G Man
the brake hold function applies the parking brake when you come to a stop, it has nothing to do with vibrate while braking at high speed.
that’s your opinion, many have said that while the holding brake is on has an effect on the discs… do a bit more digging and you will see many people who have experienced this
Old 05-23-2023, 05:21 AM

Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Mercedes E220d AMG Line Estate (S213) and Mercedes E220d AMG Line Cabriolet (A238)
So, just to let you know that my original front discs did 90k km but were just starting to vibrate and had a lip so with a great online offer from Autodoc bought new BREMBO pads/discs front and back and swapped the lot. 10k km later the fron warped 3mm!! No hills, no towing nothing stressful. I replaced them with the cheapest brand avaible on Autodoc (ABS and cost 112 for both discs) but retained the BREMO pads as they were virtually unworn (and figured they would align themselves to the new discs) and they are now failing after 15k km - so better than the BREMBO and 1/4 of the price. Shame really as they actually had much more bite than the BREMBO.

I have just ordered ATE front discs and ATE Ceramic front pads, so let's see how long these last..

For context I have never replaced discs on anycar I have owned unless it was a used car and I have replaced them on purchase as I am gentle on brakes.

FFS!!!
Old 05-23-2023, 07:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E300
Originally Posted by seedy
that’s your opinion, many have said that while the holding brake is on has an effect on the discs… do a bit more digging and you will see many people who have experienced this
link please.
Old 05-24-2023, 06:39 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2018 E43
Originally Posted by The G Man
link please.
Those of us who track our cars have know about this issue. Not common knowledge since 99% of the cars out there do. Obviously rotors aren't as hot when driving around town as on the track but when you use hold it usually after coming to a stop from 30+ miles per hour which will heat up the rotors a bit.

Google "parking brake on hot rotors"
Old 05-24-2023, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E300
Originally Posted by SpeedracerZ
Those of us who track our cars have know about this issue. Not common knowledge since 99% of the cars out there do. Obviously rotors aren't as hot when driving around town as on the track but when you use hold it usually after coming to a stop from 30+ miles per hour which will heat up the rotors a bit.

Google "parking brake on hot rotors"
Thank you for the link, seedy’s car is a E220d, I would hope he is not racing that car or applying the hand brakes while rotor is hot. That would be intentionally causing a wrapped rotor.
Old 05-24-2023, 07:34 PM

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts
MB W213 E300 4MATIC Luxury Model
Originally Posted by jhpmbusa
New tires??? at 6k miles.....will they be refundable? Obviously, it will probably turn out not to be the tires.
Costco refunded me 100%. The issue wasn’t as noticeable for 3 years and now with only 12,000 miles on the new tires the brake jitters are now very noticeable and annoying. I need to schedule it to be checked again, should have done it a couple weeks ago when they did the oil change
Old 08-17-2023, 04:52 AM

2015 W205 S205
Anyone found out what was wrong and how to fix this issue?
the whole car is shaking, under the seat... not the steering wheel.
Old 08-17-2023, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Johnnyb3good
Anyone found out what was wrong and how to fix this issue?
the whole car is shaking, under the seat... not the steering wheel.

Car entering its 7th year and had the same issue again. MB dealership claimed it was tire dressing that caused the issue, funny thing is, my car had been dirty for a couple weeks and washed it the day before service. They will do anything to deflect from taking responsibility for the issue. I ended up having to pay for new rotors and brakes pads all around. Forgot how great the car felt driving without that issue
The following users liked this post:
Mbracer26 (11-30-2023)
Old 11-19-2023, 12:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W213 E200d Taxi spec (2022)
Well. I fix the problem. No brakes isue. You need perfectly balanced wheels a tyres and......! You have to tight your wheels on 75nm cross first and for second on 150nm cross. Thats it! Problems gone. 4 tyreservice doesnt use momentum key. I do it myself......
Mbracer26 (11-30-2023)
Old 11-20-2023, 06:56 AM

Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Mercedes E220d AMG Line Estate (S213) and Mercedes E220d AMG Line Cabriolet (A238)
Originally Posted by Semry
Well. I fix the problem. No brakes isue. You need perfectly balanced wheels a tyres and......! You have to tight your wheels on 75nm cross first and for second on 150nm cross. Thats it! Problems gone. 4 tyreservice doesnt use momentum key. I do it myself......
Not 100% sure. I had my balencing done with new tyres. Wobble went away and came back. Also its temp dependent. The colder ambient it is, then the less wobble. I suspect something like brake caliper seals (I have AMG Line car with the fixed caliper). Clearly can't be the disk or it would happen all of the time
Old 11-22-2023, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Bfgslkman
Not 100% sure. I had my balencing done with new tyres. Wobble went away and came back. Also its temp dependent. The colder ambient it is, then the less wobble. I suspect something like brake caliper seals (I have AMG Line car with the fixed caliper). Clearly can't be the disk or it would happen all of the time
This has happened 2-3 times in 6 going on 7 years. Only thing that helped were new rotors and brake pads. The 1st & 2nd times they covered either the front and not the rear or the other way around. This last time they blamed the issue on tire dressing. The last time they blamed it on washing the car myself. MBUSA is useless as well , they will do nothing about it, MB always deflects responsibility. I was told the only way MB would address the issue is if enough customers complained on an ongoing basis, which I also mentioned on the forums before
Mbracer26 (11-30-2023)
Old 11-22-2023, 11:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W213 E200d Taxi spec (2022)
A try everything. Whell rotation, tyre change, tyre overflat underflat. Everything. After 5 test ride a
I read MB manual about wheel atachments. Momentum key a that it! Problem gone. Smooth ride.
Old 11-25-2023, 09:05 AM

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts
2019 E 300 (W213); 2008 ML 320 CDI W164)
Originally Posted by 50thae
Just my two cents worth, but your problem may not be warped rotors. If you drive in hot climates or very hilly areas, or if you drive very aggressively, you may be simply melting pad material onto your rotor. It is a common problem that is easily misdiagnosed by dealerships. I have had the same problem on my vette in the past and found that I could simply steel-wool the pad material off of the rotor and the judder went away. Often, you can see the actual outline of the pad on the rotor.

If you get the rotors very hot and then stop, holding the pad in the same spot on the rotor, the pad can leave a melted deposit on that part of the rotor. It doesn't seem like much, but it can be felt in the brake peddle as the typical thump, thump, thump when you apply the brakes. I found that if you continue to creep slowly forward a little (not fully stopping) after a very hard stop you can avoid uneven deposits. Of course this depends on the situation. After spending 30 years in West Texas, melted brake pad material on the rotors became an issue we learned quite a bit about.

Runout and cracks can also cause this feeling, but melted pad material is probably the most common.

https://www.onallcylinders.com/2017/...yths-debunked/
http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/te...ed-rotor-myth/
http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths
In hopes I am not violating any forum rules, I am adding a link to a article that better explains this.

Added a couple more articles. They are interesting reading.
I couldn't agree more with this post. Also, getting a deposit left on the brake discs is not unique to any one model or brand of car. Some brake pads may be less prone to leaving a deposit when coming to a stop under hard braking - I don't know about that - but changing to a different type of brake pad might bring better results in the long run than simply replacing brake discs all the time.

I took over a Subaru once with this problem. By braking more gently, and by starting to decelerate earlier and over increased stopping distances for each stop every time, the brake judder symptoms slowly lessened until they completely disappeared. It took 3 to 4 months of commuting every day though! To steel-wool the discs as suggested in the quoted post is a much quicker fix and is most certainly worth a try.

Last edited by 2008 ML 320 CDI; 11-26-2023 at 02:17 PM.
Bfgslkman (11-27-2023)
Old 12-15-2023, 10:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,453 Likes on 2,088 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by 2008 ML 320 CDI
I couldn't agree more with this post. Also, getting a deposit left on the brake discs is not unique to any one model or brand of car. Some brake pads may be less prone to leaving a deposit when coming to a stop under hard braking - I don't know about that - but changing to a different type of brake pad might bring better results in the long run than simply replacing brake discs all the time.

I took over a Subaru once with this problem. By braking more gently, and by starting to decelerate earlier and over increased stopping distances for each stop every time, the brake judder symptoms slowly lessened until they completely disappeared. It took 3 to 4 months of commuting every day though! To steel-wool the discs as suggested in the quoted post is a much quicker fix and is most certainly worth a try.
Getting mixed answers but glad it worked for you because another situation is when it is opposite... so driven less or mainly light braking, causing squealing, shuddering which then is recommended to bed-in the brakes (as in hard braking to a crawl but not stop from high speeds to transform pad material on to the rotors). Going against what was recommended in the previous post.