Dynamic Select S213

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E Class S213
Dynamic Select S213

Hi all,

Just ordered a S213 220D SE 4Matic. I haven't specified Airmatic (although now I wish I had). Should be arriving in March

I have a couple of questions if anyone can answer for me

Does the Dynamic switch only alter the gearing and steering or does it change the suspension damping settings like BMW VDC. The description from Mercedes seems to say this is the case but I can't get a definitive answer. I am not bothered enough to go back to the dealer!

AGILITY CONTROL suspension with selective damping system and lowering - is this all done automatically from the Dynamic Switch or can you change the suspension settings without changing the engine characteristics? ie have sport engine settings but with comfort suspension on the individual settings

AIR SUSPENSION with level control on the rear axle - I take it this just self levelling and is all done automatically
Old 01-10-2018, 09:44 PM

Received 107 Likes on 91 Posts
2021 M550i
Just picked up my 2018 E300 last week. Havent had a chance to test it yet, but if I go to individual settings, I have the option to adjust engine, steering and ESP (suspension) from comfort, sport and sport+.

Havent tried it yet tho.....
Old 01-11-2018, 09:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E400 Wagon
Originally Posted by HappyJack
Hi all,

Just ordered a S213 220D SE 4Matic. I haven't specified Airmatic (although now I wish I had). Should be arriving in March

Does the Dynamic switch only alter the gearing and steering or does it change the suspension damping settings like BMW VDC. The description from Mercedes seems to say this is the case but I can't get a definitive answer. I am not bothered enough to go back to the dealer!

AGILITY CONTROL suspension with selective damping system and lowering - is this all done automatically from the Dynamic Switch or can you change the suspension settings without changing the engine characteristics? ie have sport engine settings but with comfort suspension on the individual settings

AIR SUSPENSION with level control on the rear axle - I take it this just self levelling and is all done automatically

Yes it does, as far as I can tell. If you set everything up to Sport+ the car is track ready - or close to it. It certainly is a lot more fun to drive. Having said that when you switch it back to Comfort or Eco the car raises up a bit and is a lot smother.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:21 PM

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe
Note that MB recommends that you drive in Comfort mode for the first 1000 miles to break in the car properly.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E400 Wagon
Originally Posted by The_Judge
Note that MB recommends that you drive in Comfort mode for the first 1000 miles to break in the car properly.
It's at 6200 km so it's red line city and petrol grunt!
Old 01-12-2018, 01:48 PM

E Class S213
Originally Posted by Szamot
Yes it does, as far as I can tell. If you set everything up to Sport+ the car is track ready - or close to it. It certainly is a lot more fun to drive. Having said that when you switch it back to Comfort or Eco the car raises up a bit and is a lot smother.
A track ready mobile dog kennel - I like the sound of that
Old 01-12-2018, 01:49 PM

E Class S213
Thanks Gents
Old 01-12-2018, 02:33 PM

Received 71 Likes on 54 Posts
2018 E63S
Originally Posted by jhpmbusa
Just picked up my 2018 E300 last week. Havent had a chance to test it yet, but if I go to individual settings, I have the option to adjust engine, steering and ESP (suspension) from comfort, sport and sport+.

Havent tried it yet tho.....
Does it actually say ESP (suspension) or just ESP?
ESP is also known as Electronic Stability Program and has nothing to do with suspension.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:49 PM

2021 M550i
Originally Posted by 78degrees
Does it actually say ESP (suspension) or just ESP?
ESP is also known as Electronic Stability Program and has nothing to do with suspension.

Read through the owners manual through the command system. Yes Sport and Sport + will tweak the suspension settings to make it more "Accentuated" in terms of oversteer and understeer inputs. I think only the 2018 models might have this? Go into your individual settings in the dynamic mode.

Engine has the usual eco , comfort, sport sport +, Steering is comfort or sport, ESP is comfort sport and sport +. Let me know what you find!
Old 01-12-2018, 07:48 PM

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
E220d
Originally Posted by HappyJack
Hi all,

Mercedes are incredibly misleading with how they describe this system. It is not adjustable or selectable in any way by the driver, it merely firms up under certain rates of compression/extension. It basically allows for a soft ride without wallow. My old w212 had adjustable suspension and I genuinely thought this new one did too but it was mere placebo. The car is on 19s so it's way stiffer than my old one to start with. The difference between comfort and sport that in my head made the car a bit stiffer is just down to the steering weight change.

I thought the agility control with lowering was only on AMG line cars (well in UK market at least), did you option it? What size wheels you spec? If I had my time again I'd have gone 18s.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:09 AM

E Class S213
Originally Posted by Proeliator2001
Mercedes are incredibly misleading with how they describe this system. It is not adjustable or selectable in any way by the driver, it merely firms up under certain rates of compression/extension. It basically allows for a soft ride without wallow. My old w212 had adjustable suspension and I genuinely thought this new one did too but it was mere placebo. The car is on 19s so it's way stiffer than my old one to start with. The difference between comfort and sport that in my head made the car a bit stiffer is just down to the steering weight change.

I thought the agility control with lowering was only on AMG line cars (well in UK market at least), did you option it? What size wheels you spec? If I had my time again I'd have gone 18s.
SE with 17" wheels. I am built for comfort these day - plus there are more potholes then road where I live

The spec for the car says the following - as standard.

AGILITY CONTROL suspension with selective damping system and lowering
Air suspension with level control on the rear axle

The specs for the cars seem to have changed between 2016 and 2017 with Direct Control suspension being replaced by Agility Control suspension

Old 01-13-2018, 12:31 PM

2021 M550i
Correct, the description changed from 2017 and 2018 as far as i know. I brought this up in my other post as well. and keep mentioning "2018",
Old 02-12-2018, 03:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 e300
what does sport and sport + do to the ESP? i can't tell the difference when i switch between these while driving.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:33 PM

2017 e300
Read through the owners manual through the command system. Yes Sport and Sport + will tweak the suspension settings to make it more "Accentuated" in terms of oversteer and understeer inputs. I think only the 2018 models might have this? Go into your individual settings in the dynamic mode.

Engine has the usual eco , comfort, sport sport +, Steering is comfort or sport, ESP is comfort sport and sport +. Let me know what you find!
what does sport and sport + do to the ESP? i can't tell the difference when i switch between these while driving.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:33 PM

2021 M550i
Originally Posted by fizad99
So when you make these adjustments, its gets saved onto you "INDIVIDUALIZED" settings, which is on top of sports+. Make sure you are on the I* setting to notice the difference. Please let me know if this works for you!
Old 02-12-2018, 06:17 PM

2017 e300
So when you make these adjustments, its gets saved onto you "INDIVIDUALIZED" settings, which is on top of sports+. Make sure you are on the I* setting to notice the difference. Please let me know if this works for you!
Hi, yes i know how to set it on individualized, i just dont know what changing ESP to sports or sports+ does? what does it do? The engine on sports+ makes the rpms higher i feel the extra power, the sports in the steering wheel makes it tighter, but what does sports on ESP do???

Last edited by fizad99; 02-12-2018 at 06:17 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 02-12-2018, 07:43 PM

2021 M550i
Originally Posted by fizad99
Hi, yes i know how to set it on individualized, i just dont know what changing ESP to sports or sports+ does? what does it do? The engine on sports+ makes the rpms higher i feel the extra power, the sports in the steering wheel makes it tighter, but what does sports on ESP do???

It should make the suspension feel track-ready like some say. But all jokes aside, try going over the same usual bumpy/pothole roads that you know of and see if it feels different. I've noticed if you set in on cruise control on same roads you take everyday, you will be able to tell the suspension is a bit more stiff. Let me know what you think!