E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Switching from US to European Tail Lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 12:44 PM

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts
E63 S Wagon
Thank you!

Last edited by wdimagineer; 07-26-2018 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 E350
Maybe you should ask the European dealer for a pigtail harness. I cannot imagine MB would run different cables for two different versions. Case in point, I had a first generation Juke with the combination red brake/blinker. I bought a pair of European amber tail lights from France when I had a business trip there years ago. The dealer sold me two separate 3 foot harnesses for each side to convert it to the Euro-spec separate amber/red brake. The funny thing is that a few years later, the US market redesigned the Juke with the amber blinker. I did take a look at the newer generation Juke and, sure enough, it does have the separate attachable harness. So for those with the older Juke here, you can convert yours to the newer version.

As far as the MB, I have the face-lift W211 wagon and notice that the clear strip where the non-US spec uses as amber blinker is left empty for us Yanks. I don't know why these manufacturers (those that export to US and abroad) go out of their way to make two different housings. It seems the cost would be more plus the storage of two different parts.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:28 PM

Received 137 Likes on 104 Posts
2015 ML350+2021 E350
Originally Posted by torgensenMB
Maybe you should ask the European dealer for a pigtail harness. I cannot imagine MB would run different cables for two different versions. Case in point, I had a first generation Juke with the combination red brake/blinker. I bought a pair of European amber tail lights from France when I had a business trip there years ago. The dealer sold me two separate 3 foot harnesses for each side to convert it to the Euro-spec separate amber/red brake. The funny thing is that a few years later, the US market redesigned the Juke with the amber blinker. I did take a look at the newer generation Juke and, sure enough, it does have the separate attachable harness. So for those with the older Juke here, you can convert yours to the newer version.

As far as the MB, I have the face-lift W211 wagon and notice that the clear strip where the non-US spec uses as amber blinker is left empty for us Yanks. I don't know why these manufacturers (those that export to US and abroad) go out of their way to make two different housings. It seems the cost would be more plus the storage of two different parts.
Logic is not always paramount when lawyers and bureaucrats are involved. If exporting US models is a real concern, and apparently it is, I can see why the separate wire harnass and connectors. Shame.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:17 PM

E63 S Wagon
Conversion harnesses do not exist for these cars. The control unit (or rear SAM, in MB parlance) tells certain pins to activate for certain lighting functions. On European/RoW cars, this means there are separate pins for braking and indicating. US cars don't have a pin assigned in software to support a separate indicator. Even if the programming was there, the brake pin is still programmed to flash on indicating.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has everyone given up on this? I would love amber turn signals. Also, coding to keep the drl from cutting out when turn signal is switched on.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:14 PM

E63 S Wagon
Originally Posted by BlastedBilly
Has everyone given up on this? I would love amber turn signals. Also, coding to keep the drl from cutting out when turn signal is switched on.
Nope. I know what to do, have practiced on a friend’s car, and have the parts. Blame ****ing MBUSA for the silly hold on my wagon for lack of updates.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So what is required besides the euro tails? Need to get plugs and make up some harnesses? And is there coding involved?
Old 10-31-2018, 09:24 PM

E63 S Wagon
So what is required besides the euro tails? Need to get plugs and make up some harnesses? And is there coding involved?
Yes. Coding and Xentry access is required. I’ll share when I’m ready.

I haven’t looked at DRL coding.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:08 AM

E63 S Wagon
Progress:
View this post on Instagram
Old 01-04-2019, 06:36 AM

Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
Mercedes Benz e450 Wagon / Porsche 911 Cabriolet
Awesome
Old 01-12-2019, 02:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 C63S AMG coupe
Originally Posted by wdimagineer

Yes. Coding and Xentry access is required. I’ll share when I’m ready.

I haven’t looked at DRL coding.
How did it work out? I understand that coding has to be changed from US to ROW (rest of world). One technician here, however, told me that this change throws off coding for other parts of the car. He also told me that there is an extra wire leading to US version of tail lights. This seems strange as in the EU lights there is this clear strip at bottom that houses the lamps for amber lights. When we connected the EU lights, the clear strip lit up in amber, but of course the indicator still flashed the red brake light.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:06 AM

E63 S Wagon
Originally Posted by Freywaldau
How did it work out? I understand that coding has to be changed from US to ROW (rest of world). One technician here, however, told me that this change throws off coding for other parts of the car. He also told me that there is an extra wire leading to US version of tail lights. This seems strange as in the EU lights there is this clear strip at bottom that houses the lamps for amber lights. When we connected the EU lights, the clear strip lit up in amber, but of course the indicator still flashed the red brake light.
It all worked out. And yes, your tech is right. I’ve had to code lots of things in the car to EU spec to accomplish this and other things like activating the multibeam lights.

The clear strip on US lamps are missing LEDs. That’s why there’s an extra pin on EU lamps.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:07 AM

2017 C63S AMG coupe
Originally Posted by Ayes303

Thank you for your post, I have been actually trying to get them installed lately but the shops that I took them to don’t know how to do them (even with the witing diagrams). Yesterday I took my car for service and thought of asking the dealership to do it, and surprisingly they agreed to do it but their price made me refuse. I have found a really professional guy that could do it and will take it there next week. I’ll post here for sure after visiting him
Any success? I took my car to Europe and naively went to MB dealership to have the indicator lights changed to amber. But they couldn't do it because recoding requires approval and this MB won't give them. So I bought the EU lights, had the US connectors clipped so they fit into EU lights, got the clear strip in the EU light turn on in amber, but haven't progressed since.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:47 AM

2017 C63S AMG coupe

It all worked out. And yes, your tech is right. I’ve had to code lots of things in the car to EU spec to accomplish this and other things like activating the multibeam lights.

The clear strip on US lamps are missing LEDs. That’s why there’s an extra pin on EU lamps.
Was the coding limited to rear SAM? Would you remember to what connector on rear SAM you had to add the wire to extra pin on EU lamps?
Old 01-12-2019, 12:04 PM

E63 S Wagon
Originally Posted by Freywaldau
Was the coding limited to rear SAM? Would you remember to what connector on rear SAM you had to add the wire to extra pin on EU lamps?
I would consult the wiring diagram.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:41 PM

2017 C63S AMG coupe

I would consult the wiring diagram.
Thanks, will do on Monday when I go to a shop here. Hopefully they can do the whole thing, wiring and coding. The amber turn signal is required by law otherwise I can't register the car.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:53 AM

2017 C63S AMG coupe
1. You need to cut off parts of US connector so it fits into Euro lights
2. No wire has to be removed or added, but you need to reconnect to a different pin on Euro lights
3. Then coding rear sam unit and resetting it
This procedure was good enough for my car. The rear lights now flash in amber in the clear strip below red brake led.
The following users liked this post:
Alex79 (03-28-2021)
Old 01-15-2019, 05:11 PM

E63 S Wagon
Good to know they figured it out.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:55 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
2017 E400 C4 Coupe

Were you actually able to get the multibeam headlights to function as they do in Europe? Are the lights you refer to the M-B "LED INTELLIGENT LIGHT SYSTEM" My 2017 E400C4 has the LED headlights-- I'd really like to release their full potential. My previous car was a 2014 BMW 535ix also with LED headlights-- it was a lot easier to code BMWs to achieve the function you wanted. (full dynamic headlights, rear DRLs, etc.)
Old 05-12-2019, 07:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'18 E43
For someone considering this mod, does anyone know which UK part #s are a best match for installing into a 2018MY US spec W213?

A2139067900 and A2139068000

or

A2139067700 and A2139067800

or are they the same?
Old 05-17-2019, 08:18 PM

'18 E43
The ones I am looking at:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Be...s/153425496161

The seller says they are Plug and Play
Old 05-18-2019, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 803 Likes on 635 Posts
Originally Posted by executiV
The ones I am looking at:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Be...s/153425496161

The seller says they are Plug and Play
The seller does not address the different national versions of the W213. Just because one can plug te part does not mean that it will play without coding and/or wiring mods. Read the earlier posts in this topic.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:24 PM

'18 E43
I did read the thread, and no one posted part numbers for the lights they've installed. I'd like to find out if the UK tail lights are the same or different than the European lights. The seller included part #s that I believe are for the UK specific cars. I do not know what the cars in Germany for instance, use. Is it possible the LHD and RHD cars use different tail lights?
Old 05-18-2019, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 803 Likes on 635 Posts
Anything is possible with market specific parts. IMO the big difference is that US models have different pin counts than the EU models. So not only are the physical lights different, the wiring harness is too.
Old 12-15-2019, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c300 convertable mercedes 2017
Conversion harnesses do not exist for these cars. The control unit (or rear SAM, in MB parlance) tells certain pins to activate for certain lighting functions. On European/RoW cars, this means there are separate pins for braking and indicating. US cars don't have a pin assigned in software to support a separate indicator. Even if the programming was there, the brake pin is still programmed to flash on indicating.
hello dear
i have changed the rear tail light to European one and fit to the cable of US ,, so the turn signal works fine in Amber but when I press the break the turn signal in Amber is become consistent Amber and no blinking I made all the program in the work shop but they could not solve this problem. So please do you have Any Idea .
best regards

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Switching from US to European Tail Lights