E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Service schedule

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2024, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 575 Likes on 434 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Originally Posted by JettaRed
Seriously? Then he'll not touch my car. Brake fluid is time-based, not mileage-based. Every two years.

From ChatGPT:
Brake fluid is a critical component in your vehicle's braking system, as it helps transfer force from the brake pedal to the brake components. Over time, brake fluid can absorb moisture, which can lead to a decrease in its boiling point and overall effectiveness. Therefore, it's generally recommended to change brake fluid periodically to maintain optimal brake system performance.

The frequency of brake fluid changes can vary depending on factors such as the type of brake fluid used, driving conditions, and the manufacturer's recommendations. However, a common recommendation is to change the brake fluid every 2 to 3 years.

It's essential to check your vehicle's owner's manual for the manufacturer's specific recommendations regarding brake fluid change intervals. Some high-performance or specialty vehicles may have different requirements. Additionally, if you notice any signs of brake fluid contamination, such as a dark or discolored appearance, it may be advisable to change the fluid sooner.

Regular brake system inspections by a qualified mechanic are also crucial. They can assess the condition of the brake fluid and other components, ensuring that your braking system is operating safely and efficiently.
Here we go again: Let's stop right now and agree to disagree:

Mercedes requires replacement of brake fluid every 2 years/24,000 miles to cover every possible instance including high speed driving and stopping on the Autobahn.

If you drive regularly at 200 kph and brake hard, then you might be required to change your brake fluid every 2 years/24,000 miles as the fluid could boil and when cooling collect moisture.

Mercedes is not going to write different service requirements for different types of driving: that would be impractical. The most extreme circumstances become the base.

Most manufacturers recommend changing brake fluid every 5 or 8 years and some not at all as in my Ford Edge. Most cars are not driven at 200 kmh plus as they can be driven in Germany. But to protect themselves, German manufactures have adopted the 2 year/24,000 mile change period because a small percentage of their cars will be driven this hard and to protect themselves, this small percentage becomes the base.
Old 02-10-2024, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,597 Likes on 1,194 Posts
2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
Originally Posted by JTK44

Most manufacturers recommend changing brake fluid every 5 or 8 years and some not at all as in my Ford Edge. Most cars are not driven at 200 kmh plus as they can be driven in Germany. But to protect themselves, German manufactures have adopted the 2 year/24,000 mile change period because a small percentage of their cars will be driven this hard and to protect themselves, this small percentage becomes the base.
The recommended 2 year change (or 3 years by some manufacturers) has nothing to do with how fast you drive. It's about absorption of moisture that not only reduces braking effectiveness, but also can lead to corrosion of brake lines and components. I've had brake lines rupture due to corrosion on other vehicles and it ain't no fun. Do what you wish, but flushing the fluid every 2 (or 3 years) is cheap preventive maintenance. Chances are it will never be a problem for most people. But replacing the ABS/ESP controller or corroded brake lines would be a much bigger expense than changing the fluid every couple of years.

I am curious, who are "most manufacturers" that recommend 5 or 8 year fluid changes? I've never seen that.
Old 02-11-2024, 07:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 575 Likes on 434 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
The recommended 2 year change (or 3 years by some manufacturers) has nothing to do with how fast you drive. It's about absorption of moisture that not only reduces braking effectiveness, but also can lead to corrosion of brake lines and components. I've had brake lines rupture due to corrosion on other vehicles and it ain't no fun. Do what you wish, but flushing the fluid every 2 (or 3 years) is cheap preventive maintenance. Chances are it will never be a problem for most people. But replacing the ABS/ESP controller or corroded brake lines would be a much bigger expense than changing the fluid every couple of years.

I am curious, who are "most manufacturers" that recommend 5 or 8 year fluid changes? I've never seen that.
As I posted: My 2018Ford Edge Sport (hi performance twin Turbo V6) does not recommend a change in the brake fluid.

You are not correct: Multiple rapid deceleration from high speeds can cause brake fluid temperature to rise and and "boil": this is a reason to change the fluid - not moisture in the fluid.

I often wonder why German cars recommend a short interval for changing brake fluid while most other manufacturers fluid change is two to three times as long. Do German manufactures use some special brake fluid that breaks down quicker or is it pro-active because of driving conditions?

There is preventive maintenance vs. manufacturers driving the bottom line by unnecessary maintenance.

You decide
Old 02-11-2024, 07:55 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2017 M-B E400 4Matic Wagon AMG-Line
Honda does not recommend a brake fluid change ever on my wife's 2019 Ridgeline. My 2012 Volvo S60 had no recommended brake fluid change interval either.

I'm curious why you would trust ChatGPT over a mechanic that has 30+ years experience working on Mercedes, Audi, BMW, Volvo, and VW cars. Just because it's on the internet does not make it true.
The following users liked this post:
JTK44 (02-11-2024)
Old 02-11-2024, 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 268 Likes on 210 Posts
2019 E300
My son’s Acura mechanic recommended he replace his brake fluid at 4 years and he only has 20k miles. Brake fluid change is time based, not mileage based or driving severity based. Maybe weather severely based though, we live in the Northeast and the weather changes rapidly, lots of condensation and brake fluids loves to absorb moisture I could feel a difference in my son’s brakes in his Acura after the work is done, so bottom line is that if you want to keep your brakes in peak performance, change your brake fluid regularly.
JettaRed (02-11-2024)
Old 02-11-2024, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
Originally Posted by MNIAW
Honda does not recommend a brake fluid change ever on my wife's 2019 Ridgeline. My 2012 Volvo S60 had no recommended brake fluid change interval either.

I'm curious why you would trust ChatGPT over a mechanic that has 30+ years experience working on Mercedes, Audi, BMW, Volvo, and VW cars. Just because it's on the internet does not make it true.
Because it's not just ChatGPT that concludes the recommended change interval, whether it's 2, 3, or 4 years. And 30+ years experience working on cars only makes the guy old, cynical, and opinionated, just like me.

So, if the manufacturer tells you to change your motor oil every 10,000 or 15,000 miles, are you going to wait that long? Are you going to trust "lifetime" tranny fluid? If so, good luck. Call me perennially suspicious (i.e., paranoid) when it comes to trusting the "experts" (thank you, Dr. Faucci), but there is always ulterior motives to making such ridiculous claims. Have modern fluids improved? Certainly they have. But when the "competition" out of Korea (i.e., Kia/Hyundai) offers the "best warranty in America," manufacturers have to come up with some other "selling points" to win or keep customers. Fluid changes are the best and overall cheapest way to keep your car out of trouble.
Old 02-11-2024, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hmmm, as I think about it, I have been working on cars for over 50 years, though I'll deny it if anyone asks.
Old 02-11-2024, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 268 Likes on 210 Posts
2019 E300
No one is going to buy a Ford Edge that requires expensive maintenance, Ford knows this much. The total cost of ownership has become a marketing tool for some car manufacturers.
JettaRed (02-11-2024)