Notices
E-Class (W213) 2016 -

Service schedule

Old 03-14-2018, 02:37 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
E400
Service schedule

I have a 2018 E400 W, purchased last week. The dealer was trying to sell me a maintenance package and I am trying to determine if it is worth the US$.
I cannot find an actual schedule of the service done or the mileage at which it is done. The owner's manual references an A or B service interval, but not what work is done? Has anyone purchased this prepaid maintenance? Is it worth it? Thanks
Old 03-14-2018, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 242 Likes on 205 Posts

Mercedes-Benz A Service

The A Service first visit is at approximately 10,000 miles or 1 year. The exact time is determined by the vehicle's Flexible Service System.

Services Performed:
  1. Synthetic Motor Oil Replacement
  2. Oil Filter Replacement
  3. All Fluid Level Checks & Corrections Are Dependent On Factory-Recommended Service Intervals For Your Vehicle's Year & Model
  4. Tire Inflation Check & Correction
  5. Brake Component Inspection
  6. Reset Maintenance Counter
Mercedes-Benz A Service adheres to all required elements listed by model year and specific model as indicated on the corresponding service sheet for Mercedes-Benz Maintenance Systems in the USA.

Mercedes-Benz B Service

The B Service first visit is at approximately 20,000 miles or 1 year after the previous service. The exact time is determined by the vehicle's Flexible Service System.

Then it is typically every 20,000 miles or 2 years (approximately).

Services Performed:
  3. Cabin Dust/Combination Filter Replacement
  4. Brake Fluid Exchange
  5. All Fluid Level Checks & Corrections Are Dependent On Factory-Recommended Service Intervals For Your Vehicle's Year & Model.
  6. Tire Inflation Check & Correction
  7. Brake Component Inspection
  8. Reset Maintenance Counter
Mercedes-Benz B Services adheres to all required elements listed by model year and specific model as indicated on the corresponding service sheet for Mercedes-Benz Maintenance Systems in the USA.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:34 PM

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts
2018 E400 4Matic
Is there any particular reason a person would bring their car to a MB dealer to get the oil changed and the tires checked?
On my current 2011 Audi A4 I only had it at the dealer once, shortly after purchase for a loose fuel line. Its had all its scheduled services at the proper intervals. Just done by a good mechanic who owns his own business.
I could see bringing it in for service updates (bug shooting), but that would be covered under warranty, correct?
The following users liked this post:
Cambridgehank (03-14-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 04:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
W213 E43 Diamond White/ Designo Nut Brown
the prepaid maintance package is worth the money spent imo.
you will never know how much dealer will charge you every time it comes to a service, and $1500 for 4 years or 40k miles is definitely cheaper than 2 A + B services
Old 03-14-2018, 05:21 PM

E400
Originally Posted by ua549 View Post

Mercedes-Benz A Service

The A Service first visit is at approximately 10,000 miles or 1 year. The exact time is determined by the vehicle's Flexible Service System.

Services Performed:
  3. All Fluid Level Checks & Corrections Are Dependent On Factory-Recommended Service Intervals For Your Vehicle's Year & Model
  4. Tire Inflation Check & Correction
  5. Brake Component Inspection
  6. Reset Maintenance Counter
Mercedes-Benz A Service adheres to all required elements listed by model year and specific model as indicated on the corresponding service sheet for Mercedes-Benz Maintenance Systems in the USA.

Mercedes-Benz B Service

The B Service first visit is at approximately 20,000 miles or 1 year after the previous service. The exact time is determined by the vehicle's Flexible Service System.

Then it is typically every 20,000 miles or 2 years (approximately).

Services Performed:
  3. Cabin Dust/Combination Filter Replacement
  4. Brake Fluid Exchange
  5. All Fluid Level Checks & Corrections Are Dependent On Factory-Recommended Service Intervals For Your Vehicle's Year & Model.
  6. Tire Inflation Check & Correction
  7. Brake Component Inspection
  8. Reset Maintenance Counter
Mercedes-Benz B Services adheres to all required elements listed by model year and specific model as indicated on the corresponding service sheet for Mercedes-Benz Maintenance Systems in the USA.
$1500 for an oil change seems excessive, even for an MB
Old 03-14-2018, 05:25 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
2018 E400 4matic Wagon
Originally Posted by elnos View Post
you will never know how much dealer will charge you every time it comes to a service, and $1500 for 4 years or 40k miles is definitely cheaper than 2 A + B services
You can sometimes shop various MB deals and/or get dealer specials which reduce the cost substantially. Also, as previously noted, there is no need to go to the dealer -- especially for Service A, which is not much more than a Mobil 1 oil change and service indicator reset.

BTW, does anyone have instructions on how to reset the service indicator? On my S211, this was a matter of pressing the correct steering wheel buttons.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 242 Likes on 205 Posts
Timing is important when subscribing to prepaid maintenance. Wait until after your first A service so that the 3 year service is for B, A, B instead of A, B, A. B services can be quite expensive.
The following 2 users liked this post by ua549:
Cambridgehank (03-14-2018), CarFan1 (05-26-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 158 Likes on 128 Posts
17 E43; 18 GLS550
Originally Posted by elnos View Post
I agree. The reason is simple, MB service is quite expensive. Furtheremore, many local lube centers will not even service them since they dont even carry the non standard filters and parts that MBs use.
The following users liked this post:
Cambridgehank (03-14-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 06:17 PM

E400
I understand why MB is limiting the program to 4 years. Looks like after becomes expensive. I wonder if MB or others sell policies to cover 8 or 10 years?
Old 03-14-2018, 06:27 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe, 2016 Audi A6 3.0
Timing is important when subscribing to prepaid maintenance. Wait until after your first A service so that the 3 year service is for B, A, B instead of A, B, A. B services can be quite expensive.
I bought the 4 yr maintenance plan on my new 18 E400 Coupe. Learned after not buying it on my 13 E350 Cab. $300 A service. $700 for B service. Iíll take the plan.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:32 PM

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
2018 E300 Luxury - P3 and more
THIS! I was even told this by my salesman & service advisor.

At risk of having rotten tomatoes thrown at me, I've found service costs for my MB to be much less than what I was spending on my Infiniti. Yes, individual oil changes were less for the Infiniti, BUT the car was going in ever 3500 miles for them which more than made up any savings...and if I tried to stretch it, the car would "remind" me by the engine chattering due to low oil when cold.

Also, labor-wise, my Infinitis were terribly-designed for repairs. Take something as simple and as common as replacing a headlamp bulb. $400. They only charged me $105 for the bulb. Autozone wanted $99 for the same bulb at the time, so the markup wasn't huge. The remaining was all labor. To change the low beam, you had to:
1)Remove front grill,
2) Remove fender cover,
3) Remove front bumper,
4) Pump down AC system,
5) Remove AC refrigerant lines,
6) Remove headlamp assembly.
7) Replace bulb,
8) Put the whole mess back together.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 158 Likes on 128 Posts
17 E43; 18 GLS550
No tomatos necessary the fact that MB service is expensive doesnt mean other brands are just as bad or more.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 SL63
I would never buy their service plan.

Find a reputable Indy that specializes in MB's and have them change the oil a 10K/1year. Everything else is just an inspection.

Price the B service with the Indy and you'll find you're paying double. Changing the cabin air filter takes about 15 minutes to do yourself. $30 for the filter on Amazon. Dealer is figuring close to $100 for it.

Ultimately it's your money but their service plan does one thing. Makes the dealer money, your money.

Warranty: Yes, take it to the dealer.
Old 03-17-2018, 03:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 365 Likes on 327 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by idrive View Post
I would never buy their service plan.

Find a reputable Indy that specializes in MB's and have them change the oil a 10K/1year. Everything else is just an inspection.

Price the B service with the Indy and you'll find you're paying double. Changing the cabin air filter takes about 15 minutes to do yourself. $30 for the filter on Amazon. Dealer is figuring close to $100 for it.

Ultimately it's your money but their service plan does one thing. Makes the dealer money, your money.

Warranty: Yes, take it to the dealer.
Well the only other reason would be to get the free snacks/drinks/rental at the dealer. It's probably only worth it at 40/50/60k interval where you have to replace the spark plugs and transmission fluid at the 40/60k mark and those are included in the maintenance package. Otherwise they're just simple A and B services. But you're right, with the package it's probably about the same price or less at an indy, but no free snacks...
Old 03-17-2018, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E400
does anyone know where to buy a service manual for a 18' E 400 coupe on line?
Old 05-25-2018, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Mustang
replace brake fluid at 20k miles/2 years

isn't it too often? I think brake fluid can last way more than that.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 365 Likes on 327 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by alfaromeo View Post
isn't it too often? I think brake fluid can last way more than that.
It probably can, but that's MB's standard service schedule. The oil change used to be every 13k too, but I guess that was too long for US customers that were used to 3k oil changes so now it's every 10k although some synthetic oils are good for 15-25k. Brake fluid does absorb moisture from use and changing it frequently will prevent your brake parts from rusting out.