Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > E-Class (W213)
2019 W213 First Impressions >

2019 W213 First Impressions

Notices
E-Class (W213) 2016 -

2019 W213 First Impressions

 
Old 10-01-2018, 11:51 PM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: 20 years in Boston, MA
Posts: 178
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
ZipCar NYC / Boston
Talking 2019 W213 First Impressions

First Impressions
Thought I'd give my first impressions of my parents' 2019 E450, given that I've been reading this forum from the days to our first W210 E-class to now our fourth E-class (W211, W212 and W213). Although I don't have as much seat time now that I am raising my own family in another city, it is wonderful to see the E-class evolve over time.

Highlights, especially coming from the W212
  1. Head-up Display: The HUD is a true standout. It is wonderful that it is now an a la carte option. Although the manual seems to suggest that only three things can be visible on the HUD (next turn, current speed and speed limit), it actually shows the next turn's intersection street, ETA until destination, and the system status of the Distronic, including set speed, lane keep assist status, and the distance setting.
  2. Distronic: Our W212 also had Distronic, but it pales significantly from this version. In my short testing, the Distronic keeps with tight bends very well, and the auto-steering feels confident feels as though you are driving along train tracks. Although my own Subaru Outback has lane keep assist, this one is much more confidence-inspiring and proactive in steering. There is no noticeable pin balling between lane markers.
  3. Front-camera: Now having seen the benefits of a front camera in action, it seems like a no-brainer move to be standard on all cars, now that rear cameras are prevalent.
  4. 2019 Steering wheel: Wonderfully laid out steering wheel. Although I had expected the steering wheel to be like the S-class with its metal and laser-engraved faceplate, the E-class has a high-gloss black look, even in luxury trim. Buttons are conveniently placed and makes Distronic much more prominent and approachable to the user. I fit right in using Distronic given EyeSight in the Subaru puts it on the wheel as well.
  5. Dual Displays: The screens look great, although there is noticeable backlight bleed. The right nav screen is now of the appropriate size, although my favorite user-interface is still the ATM-style buttons from W211 days, instead of the touchpad. Perhaps it will take time to settle in.
  6. Mercedes me: MB finally welcomes the Internet Age. For the worrywarts like me, who often worry about whether the sunroof or windows were closed when you parked outside, then worry no more. The me-connect app reports all that, tire pressure, and more.
  7. Quiet operation: The V6 combined with the luxury trim and acoustic comfort does appear to be a good combination if looking for a quiet version of the E-class.
Thoughts, and Areas for improvement
  1. Instrument Cluster Screen: Having the instrument cluster as a screen should be standard, given that even the BMW 2019 3er and many Audi's feature virtual cockpit. However, MB's implementation is somewhat lacking in execution. The "Sport" design appears nothing more than "Classic" with yellow fonts.

    The "Progressive" Design does feature a left and right area for different content, with the middle area becoming a tachometer with a speed reading. While the left side of Progressive can contain all the views like DriveAssist, Nav Current Turn or Media, the choices are extremely limited for the right side. For example, for the right side, you can show: a) today's date, b) G-meter, c) a Mini Nav map, d) Eco stats.

    I would have much preferred if: a) right side could have the same available choices as the left side, perhaps have nav current turn on the left and have media on the right, or b) have a layout with tachometer off to the side of one much larger view, instead of a split view.
  2. 360 degree camera: I have mixed feelings about this. It sure is easy to market, and it has valuable views provided by the individual cameras. Just the side camera option alone will save significant wheel damage. However, I think the top-down bird's eye camera view on the left size is way too small to perceive significant small detail. Is the curb on my right straight or jagged? Too hard to tell from a vertical image shown on a widescreen monitor.

    The top-down view feels like watching a vertically shot Youtube video with horizontal black bars on your iPhone. For more flexibility (a) I would have preferred if there was an option to have the top-down view shown on the left view panel, but rotated. (b) have the ability also to set the front view on the left monitor, and the rear view on the right monitor. That would be something special.
  3. Climate-control buttons: Climate Control is otherwise very easy to use, although buttons seem to take up a lot of space on the dash. I still can't figure out why the "MENU" key is so prominent in the middle of the car, and why anyone would want to visualize climate control. The entire row also is made up of up-and-down-toggles despite the fact that only the temperature, fan speed and flow direction requires it. Sync and auto-circulate do not.

    In my opinion, instead, the hazard switch should be moved there, and the old location and the vehicle button should be settable shortcut favorite keys.

    I only give grief because (1) there is already a lack of customizable buttons, and (2) my fondest memory on the W210 was the wonderfully designed climate control user interface. It was easy to use, you could hold down the up and down arrows to automatically set 72'F, fit into a beautiful 1-DIN-sized package.
  4. No Multi-Point Bluetooth: Everybody has a smartphone, but the COMAND can still only connect to one Bluetooth device at a time. I'm guessing Mercedes expects each person to have their own car, but for families who share their vehicles, it can be a hassle to switch phone profiles. Advice?
  5. Soft-close doors: As others have suggested, this one is probably not worth it. In trying to activate the soft-close doors, I found it harder to close the doors gently than to close them normally.
  6. Rear-view mirror: Perhaps it's a sign of the times that people look at their rear-view cameras more than actual mirror but the mirrors have shrunk considerably versus previous generations. Doesn't seem to me to have much benefit to shrink it given that the windshield behind it is still obscured by sensors and cameras.
  7. Unclear when Engine needs to be turned off: Often, when set to Park, the car is already at a stop and engine is silent due to Auto-Stop. However, vehicle is still "on" and requires the "Engine Stop" button to be pressed. It is unclear that the vehicle is in this state, unless carefully looking at the Green (A) icon. Advice? (Seems Tesla and other EV's have solved this issue by not having an Engine Start/Stop key at all)
  8. Needs more user-assignable favorites keys: There needs to be some customization for some physical buttons in the vehicle. Wouldn't it be great to assign a button to the Side Camera view, or calls up your favorite radio station?
Questions for others
  1. Setting voice recognition names for Navigation Destinations: Home and Work are recognized keywords by COMAND. Is there a way to set keywords for other destinations like "Aunt's House". If so, where can that name be set, and would the COMAND recognize this?
  2. Distronic distance when stopped: Even at the most conservative setting of 4-clicks, the car stops extremely close to the vehicle in front in stop-and-go traffic. Given the prevalence of tall SUV's, buses and trucks, it would be good to set a farther distance even when stopped so that visibility is maintained.






Last edited by onpaws; 10-02-2018 at 12:04 AM.
onpaws is offline  
The following 5 users liked this post by onpaws:
BF3PDZ (12-20-2018), johna1 (12-20-2018), lensjack (10-02-2018), nycebo (11-02-2018), superangrypenguin (10-02-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 11:56 PM
  #2  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: 20 years in Boston, MA
Posts: 178
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
ZipCar NYC / Boston
Also iPhone 8 Plus fits perfectly fine in the 2019 phone slot even with a decently chunky case, get a short iPhone cable though!
onpaws is offline  
Old 10-02-2018, 05:42 AM
  #3  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 112
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211
Why MB will sell same model but different specification . I buy on 2018 but the standard spec is different with year 2019 . I watch youtube video knowing that 2019 year HUD is standard spec , but in 2018 only E300 is available . Feeling that is not fair to us :P
keong8867 is offline  
Old 10-02-2018, 06:56 AM
  #4  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
ua549's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Clearwater, Florida
Posts: 2,254
Received 242 Likes on 205 Posts
.
Standard equipment specs change from year to year on most vehicles regardless of brand. Also new features such as MBUX are added as they are developed. If the cars didn't change there would be no incentive for someone in a 2017 E class to get a 2019 E class, etc.
ua549 is offline  
Old 10-02-2018, 08:06 AM
  #5  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: 20 years in Boston, MA
Posts: 178
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
ZipCar NYC / Boston
Not only year to year, but also by market. Keong, I know you are in Asia. Each geographic market independently decides what engines to have on offer, what options are part of which package.and at what prices. Having lived in Hong Kong for several years, I see how a totally different market can be run. The level of customization, how inexpensive cars are, and financing available in the USA is frankly remarkable. Love being a car nut here.
onpaws is offline  
Old 10-02-2018, 10:44 AM
  #6  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
rbrylaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,428
Received 294 Likes on 240 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Thanks for your thoughts. I really enjoyed reading this post. A LOT!

Last edited by rbrylaw; 10-02-2018 at 01:59 PM.
rbrylaw is offline  
Old 10-02-2018, 01:34 PM
  #7  
Member
 
CaptainE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 248
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 E450 sedan
Originally Posted by rbrylaw View Post
Thanks for your thoughts. I really enjoyed reading this post. A LOT!
The thread is expanded unnecessarily if you quote a large post that includes photos.

Please try to use the quick reply function in lieu of the quote function.
CaptainE is online now  
Old 10-02-2018, 01:40 PM
  #8  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
rbrylaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,428
Received 294 Likes on 240 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Aye Aye, Captain and amended to remove the first post. But if there's a next time, you could easily ask me to do what I did.

Last edited by rbrylaw; 10-02-2018 at 02:15 PM.
rbrylaw is offline  
Old 10-02-2018, 02:52 PM
  #9  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 58
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 ML350, 2003 E320
We can stipulate it has the most advanced gadget and features. My question is does it has all the intermittent problem as in my thread. It is true, it's more like a computer, tablet, smart phone.......But does it also have the blue screen, going crazy like computers? I take my 2014 ML350 any time of the day. 4 years, never been in the shop yet.

.https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...lems-help.html
Alan0354 is offline  
Old 10-02-2018, 05:23 PM
  #10  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Southern California
Posts: 125
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
E450 Coupe
Your detailed report is truly helpful, onpaws. Thanks! Unfortunately the HUD is not currently available for order. I really wanted it, but I'm already looking at a December build with no indication as to when HUDs might come back.
lensjack is offline  
Old 10-03-2018, 09:40 PM
  #11  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: 20 years in Boston, MA
Posts: 178
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
ZipCar NYC / Boston
Thanks rbrylaw and lensjack. Glad you enjoyed the read.

Did anybody have advice on (a) how to deal with two people in the car with bluetooth devices, who often ride in the car together but may alternate driving (it's illegal to talk and drive at the same time while holding a phone here), (b) making it easier to recall destinations by voice, and (c) setting distronic's distance while stopped.

thanks!
onpaws is offline  
Old 10-06-2018, 08:52 AM
  #12  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
listerone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,108
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
save for later
listerone is offline  
Old 10-06-2018, 09:24 AM
  #13  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
ua549's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Clearwater, Florida
Posts: 2,254
Received 242 Likes on 205 Posts
.
Originally Posted by onpaws View Post
Thanks rbrylaw and lensjack. Glad you enjoyed the read.

Did anybody have advice on (a) how to deal with two people in the car with bluetooth devices, who often ride in the car together but may alternate driving (it's illegal to talk and drive at the same time while holding a phone here), (b) making it easier to recall destinations by voice, and (c) setting distronic's distance while stopped.

thanks!
What are you attempting to do with Bluetooth? Only one device can be connected to the vehicle system at a time. However it is easy to switch between connected devices. See page 291 in the operator's guide.

Try "navigation last destination" to select a destination from a list of last entered destinations. See page 222 in the operator's guide.

One can change the Distronic distance setting using the stalk only when the engine is running.

Last edited by ua549; 10-06-2018 at 09:34 AM.
ua549 is offline  
Old 10-06-2018, 10:35 AM
  #14  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Texas, Northern VA
Posts: 127
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Porsche Cayman S, Mercedes e300, Nissan Titan, BMW x5
What he appears to be getting at is the fact that only one Bluetooth device at a time is operational. In our BMW you can connect and receive calls from more than one device at a time. As for switching, it doesn’t actually switch fast enough to hop from one phone to the other when a call starts. I’ve tried it a couple times and either the call goes to VM on the second line or the system freezes temporarily and neither phone is operational till it can unfreeze. Mind you it’s about 20 secs but that is long enough to miss an incoming call.

Would be great if you could set up at least one additional line.
CarFan1 is offline  
Old 10-06-2018, 10:45 AM
  #15  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
ua549's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Clearwater, Florida
Posts: 2,254
Received 242 Likes on 205 Posts
.
The easy solution is to connect the driver's phone to the car and the passenger can use their phone on speaker directly. When drivers change, change the connection. In my car there are 6 phones set up and the car automatically connects to the driver's phone (first one to enter the car).
ua549 is offline  
Old 10-06-2018, 10:50 AM
  #16  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
ua549's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Clearwater, Florida
Posts: 2,254
Received 242 Likes on 205 Posts
.
Originally Posted by CarFan1 View Post
What he appears to be getting at is the fact that only one Bluetooth device at a time is operational. In our BMW you can connect and receive calls from more than one device at a time.
What model BMW? My 5 Series only allows a single connection at any moment in time. IMO it would be "interesting" to have simultaneous calls using the car's audio system.
ua549 is offline  
Old 10-06-2018, 10:59 AM
  #17  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Texas, Northern VA
Posts: 127
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Porsche Cayman S, Mercedes e300, Nissan Titan, BMW x5
BMW X5 2013. It has an additional phone setting for the second phone. And here you can still be pulled over even with two people in the vehicle. You might not get a ticket but you can still be delayed. We’ve taken to disconnecting/switching Bluetooth and calling back or just using the connected call to make the call back. But the thing I really like with the BMW is that you can keep streaming from one phone even with the ability to take calls from two different phones.

I have a lifetime SiriusXM app and when I have to disconnect my phone I lose the music also. Would love to have that functionality in my e class.
CarFan1 is offline  
Old 10-06-2018, 02:27 PM
  #18  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: 20 years in Boston, MA
Posts: 178
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
ZipCar NYC / Boston
These are good answers thank you. We have had Bluetooth since our 03 w211 via a MBís crude handset adapter in lieu of an actual Motorola Phone. Canít believe itís been 15 years and MB still doesnít support multi point Bluetooth. As an example, a Plantronics Voyager Bluetooth earpiece has supported multi point for probably 8+ years. It stays connected to all the devices at the same time and switches what sound is rendered based on which device is playing or has a phone call. Usually only person or device is on a phone call at the same time and sounds like the BMW system is more up to date
onpaws is offline  
Old 12-20-2018, 01:37 PM
  #19  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 20
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 C300W
2019 W213 First Impressions

Originally Posted by onpaws View Post
First Impressions
Thought I'd give my first impressions of my parents' 2019 E450, given that I've been reading this forum from the days to our first W210 E-class to now our fourth E-class (W211, W212 and W213). Although I don't have as much seat time now that I am raising my own family in another city, it is wonderful to see the E-class evolve over time.

Highlights, especially coming from the W212
  1. Head-up Display: The HUD is a true standout. It is wonderful that it is now an a la carte option. Although the manual seems to suggest that only three things can be visible on the HUD (next turn, current speed and speed limit), it actually shows the next turn's intersection street, ETA until destination, and the system status of the Distronic, including set speed, lane keep assist status, and the distance setting.
  2. Distronic: Our W212 also had Distronic, but it pales significantly from this version. In my short testing, the Distronic keeps with tight bends very well, and the auto-steering feels confident feels as though you are driving along train tracks. Although my own Subaru Outback has lane keep assist, this one is much more confidence-inspiring and proactive in steering. There is no noticeable pin balling between lane markers.
  3. Front-camera: Now having seen the benefits of a front camera in action, it seems like a no-brainer move to be standard on all cars, now that rear cameras are prevalent.
  4. 2019 Steering wheel: Wonderfully laid out steering wheel. Although I had expected the steering wheel to be like the S-class with its metal and laser-engraved faceplate, the E-class has a high-gloss black look, even in luxury trim. Buttons are conveniently placed and makes Distronic much more prominent and approachable to the user. I fit right in using Distronic given EyeSight in the Subaru puts it on the wheel as well.
  5. Dual Displays: The screens look great, although there is noticeable backlight bleed. The right nav screen is now of the appropriate size, although my favorite user-interface is still the ATM-style buttons from W211 days, instead of the touchpad. Perhaps it will take time to settle in.
  6. Mercedes me: MB finally welcomes the Internet Age. For the worrywarts like me, who often worry about whether the sunroof or windows were closed when you parked outside, then worry no more. The me-connect app reports all that, tire pressure, and more.
  7. Quiet operation: The V6 combined with the luxury trim and acoustic comfort does appear to be a good combination if looking for a quiet version of the E-class.
Thoughts, and Areas for improvement
  1. Instrument Cluster Screen: Having the instrument cluster as a screen should be standard, given that even the BMW 2019 3er and many Audi's feature virtual cockpit. However, MB's implementation is somewhat lacking in execution. The "Sport" design appears nothing more than "Classic" with yellow fonts.

    The "Progressive" Design does feature a left and right area for different content, with the middle area becoming a tachometer with a speed reading. While the left side of Progressive can contain all the views like DriveAssist, Nav Current Turn or Media, the choices are extremely limited for the right side. For example, for the right side, you can show: a) today's date, b) G-meter, c) a Mini Nav map, d) Eco stats.

    I would have much preferred if: a) right side could have the same available choices as the left side, perhaps have nav current turn on the left and have media on the right, or b) have a layout with tachometer off to the side of one much larger view, instead of a split view.
  2. 360 degree camera: I have mixed feelings about this. It sure is easy to market, and it has valuable views provided by the individual cameras. Just the side camera option alone will save significant wheel damage. However, I think the top-down bird's eye camera view on the left size is way too small to perceive significant small detail. Is the curb on my right straight or jagged? Too hard to tell from a vertical image shown on a widescreen monitor.

    The top-down view feels like watching a vertically shot Youtube video with horizontal black bars on your iPhone. For more flexibility (a) I would have preferred if there was an option to have the top-down view shown on the left view panel, but rotated. (b) have the ability also to set the front view on the left monitor, and the rear view on the right monitor. That would be something special.
  3. Climate-control buttons: Climate Control is otherwise very easy to use, although buttons seem to take up a lot of space on the dash. I still can't figure out why the "MENU" key is so prominent in the middle of the car, and why anyone would want to visualize climate control. The entire row also is made up of up-and-down-toggles despite the fact that only the temperature, fan speed and flow direction requires it. Sync and auto-circulate do not.

    In my opinion, instead, the hazard switch should be moved there, and the old location and the vehicle button should be settable shortcut favorite keys.

    I only give grief because (1) there is already a lack of customizable buttons, and (2) my fondest memory on the W210 was the wonderfully designed climate control user interface. It was easy to use, you could hold down the up and down arrows to automatically set 72'F, fit into a beautiful 1-DIN-sized package.
  4. No Multi-Point Bluetooth: Everybody has a smartphone, but the COMAND can still only connect to one Bluetooth device at a time. I'm guessing Mercedes expects each person to have their own car, but for families who share their vehicles, it can be a hassle to switch phone profiles. Advice?
  5. Soft-close doors: As others have suggested, this one is probably not worth it. In trying to activate the soft-close doors, I found it harder to close the doors gently than to close them normally.
  6. Rear-view mirror: Perhaps it's a sign of the times that people look at their rear-view cameras more than actual mirror but the mirrors have shrunk considerably versus previous generations. Doesn't seem to me to have much benefit to shrink it given that the windshield behind it is still obscured by sensors and cameras.
  7. Unclear when Engine needs to be turned off: Often, when set to Park, the car is already at a stop and engine is silent due to Auto-Stop. However, vehicle is still "on" and requires the "Engine Stop" button to be pressed. It is unclear that the vehicle is in this state, unless carefully looking at the Green (A) icon. Advice? (Seems Tesla and other EV's have solved this issue by not having an Engine Start/Stop key at all)
  8. Needs more user-assignable favorites keys: There needs to be some customization for some physical buttons in the vehicle. Wouldn't it be great to assign a button to the Side Camera view, or calls up your favorite radio station?
Questions for others
  1. Setting voice recognition names for Navigation Destinations: Home and Work are recognized keywords by COMAND. Is there a way to set keywords for other destinations like "Aunt's House". If so, where can that name be set, and would the COMAND recognize this?
  2. Distronic distance when stopped: Even at the most conservative setting of 4-clicks, the car stops extremely close to the vehicle in front in stop-and-go traffic. Given the prevalence of tall SUV's, buses and trucks, it would be good to set a farther distance even when stopped so that visibility is maintained.

I have encountered the same frustration with 2019 C300W and the task of saving Destinations with appropriate name. The only way I could assign a name to a Destination was to assign it to Favorites and then name the Favorite. Problem is, only a few Favorites are allowed by the system So ,the best workaround I could come up with was to enter the name and number in my iPhone telephone contacts, including the address I want to save. That way, when you pull up your iPhone contact by name, the address is displayed, and there is the option to navigate to that address. I would be very interested in others' recommendations.
UPDATE: Sadly, I just tried my "trick" on a contact's address, and the Nav system kept telling me the address is incomplete. It certainly looks complete to me. Any ideas or suggestions?

Last edited by jkoplen; 12-22-2018 at 05:39 PM. Reason: delete pictures, update info
jkoplen is offline  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2019 W213 First Impressions


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: