E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Mercedes Me Connect - If You Can't Connect To Your New 2019 Car

Old 11-06-2018, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Mercedes Me Connect - If You Can't Connect To Your New 2019 Car

I'm starting this very specific thread for those who have purchased a new 2019 E and you nor your dealer can get the Mercedes Me Connect app to activate with your car.

It's been a week now since I got my ordered 2019 E450. Love the car. A LOT. But the Mercedes Me App just won't activate with my car. I've been in touch with the Me Connect team multiple times. We've rebooted the system from the car. We've deleted the app multiple times, all to no avail. Supposedly, the ONLY people in the land of Mercedes Benz, who can do anything about this are in some town in Germany. And supposedly, my case has been elevated to them.

So, if you're having the same issue, we can compare what each of us has tried/is doing and if anyone finds the answer, share it with each other.
The following 2 users liked this post by rbrylaw:
dynomut (05-26-2019), Z.P (04-12-2022)
Old 11-06-2018, 10:17 PM

Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
Mercedes Benz e450 Wagon / Porsche 911 Cabriolet
Starting the trouble shooting....

Did you use the correct VIN?

What device do you have? Android or iPhone? Are you using the correct app for the 2019 cars? It's Mercedes Me Connect.

Did you create a user name and password before trying to connect your car?

If all of the above, does your app even e the car?

Old 11-06-2018, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by nycebo
Starting the trouble shooting....

Did you use the correct VIN? Yes, checked. Double Checked, Triple Checked Quadruple Checked

What device do you have? Android or iPhone? Are you using the correct app for the 2019 cars? iPhone Xs Max running iOS 12.1 - Yes, it's the Mercedes Me Connect App

Did you create a user name and password before trying to connect your car? - Yes, of course I did.

If all of the above, does your app even e the car? - The app acknowledges the car, the Vin, the Model, etc. It just won't activate any of the services on the car.
Mercedes admits the issue is on their end. They just don't have a clue how to resolve it.

But thanks for your checklist.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:13 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
E Class
Originally Posted by rbrylaw
Mercedes admits the issue is on their end. They just don't have a clue how to resolve it.

But thanks for your checklist.
did you agree to the terms of use for mb me? The app wasn’t working either so I used the mb me portal on their website to agree to their terms of use and was able to use the app a few hours later
Old 11-07-2018, 06:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 653 Likes on 511 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
Originally Posted by KingScrubs

did you agree to the terms of use for mb me? The app wasn’t working either so I used the mb me portal on their website to agree to their terms of use and was able to use the app a few hours later
i just looked on mine says I agreed to terms of use nov 3 and still not working 4 days later.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by KingScrubs

Yep, agreed to the terms on July 30th.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:55 AM

From your computer with a web browser, when you login to Mercedes Me, and this link is what I see after I login, are you able to click "My Vehicles" from the top menu bar? Then are you able to click "Overview of Vehicles"? The site is really slow so be patient. Also, maybe temporarily disable ad blockers if you have them installed.

When you do, do you see your vehicle listed?

If so, can you click it and bring up the "Select Vehicle" or "Manage vehicle" link?

When you click "Select Vehicle", you should then come to an overview listing all of the features of the car. On the right, in a small font link, there is a button that reads, "Manage Services". Click that.

Are all of the services enabled?
Old 11-07-2018, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

From your computer with a web browser, when you login to Mercedes Me, and this link is what I see after I login, are you able to click "My Vehicles" from the top menu bar? Then are you able to click "Overview of Vehicles"? The site is really slow so be patient. Also, maybe temporarily disable ad blockers if you have them installed.

When you do, do you see your vehicle listed?

If so, can you click it and bring up the "Select Vehicle" or "Manage vehicle" link?

When you click "Select Vehicle", you should then come to an overview listing all of the features of the car. On the right, in a small font link, there is a button that reads, "Manage Services". Click that.

Are all of the services enabled?
I can see my vehicle. I can see my license plate, my vin etc. When I click Manage Services, which I've clicked now likely more than 100 times, the services are all showing Activation Pending. Then you click Activate. Then you go to the bottom of the page and save. This I can do over and over and over and nothing activates.

I really appreciate the sleuthing. Honest. This isn't user error. Mercedes has an issue and I'm not alone. On the Mercedes side, what they see is "Pending Activation." They have no clue why the services won't activate. There are at least two other members here on the forum in the exact same situation.

Last edited by rbrylaw; 11-07-2018 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:04 AM

Can you open Mercedes Me apps from inside the car's COMAND?

Let me know if all these questions are tedious. Just trying to revisit all the steps I took until it started to work. It was quite delayed for me as well until they or I did something.
The following users liked this post:
MBBoss18 (08-11-2019)
Old 11-07-2018, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Can you open Mercedes Me apps from inside the car's COMAND?

Let me know if all these questions are tedious. Just trying to revisit all the steps I took until it started to work. It was quite delayed for me as well until they or I did something.
Not tedious at all. If I've missed something, I'd like to solve it. And I appreciate all your suggestions, which I've tried over and over again. But no, I can't open Me Apps from inside the car's COMAND. Nothing will activate. I've had multiple calls with the Me Connect peeps. I've rebooted the system twice now from my car. Waited the requisite amount of time to reconnect. Deleted the app multiple times. Signed back in multiple times. Accepted the Terms and Conditions over and over. Checked activate ALL services over and over again. Checked Saved over and over and over. Went for a long drive to try to get the car to sync with the satellite. All to no avail.

They did call me last night to tell me I'm not alone and that they're trying to figure this out. I'm comforted in knowing it's not just me or just my car. But they need to get this up and running. I don't know if they'll need to replace a module in the car or reprogram something at the Mother Ship Server, but they need to do something.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by rbrylaw
But no, I can't open Me Apps from inside the car's COMAND. Nothing will activate. I've had multiple calls with the Me Connect peeps. I've rebooted the system twice now from my car.
Okay, this is very telling and leads me to believe that at this point, it's fully on their end. If they can't even see your own car, then there's nothing more to do. But it does beg the question, did your dealer enter the correct VIN? They had this crazy verify identity when I registered which I don't remember doing with my E350. Perhaps the salesperson typed in the incorrect number? Candidly, I am stunned that they don't use a QR code. I was chuckling when my salesperson manually typed in this alpha numeric code. Oh yeah, no chance of error, that.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Okay, this is very telling and leads me to believe that at this point, it's fully on their end. If they can't even see your own car, then there's nothing more to do. But it does beg the question, did your dealer enter the correct VIN? They had this crazy verify identity when I registered which I don't remember doing with my E350. Perhaps the salesperson typed in the incorrect number? Candidly, I am stunned that they don't use a QR code. I was chuckling when my salesperson manually typed in this alpha numeric code. Oh yeah, no chance of error, that.
Yep, have confirmed that the right VIN was entered by my dealer at delivery and is the correct VIN listed for my car in the Mercedes Me Connect App. Now, if by chance when Mercedes entered my car in the Mercede Me Connect Server, it could be they entered the wrong VIN for my car. That would be one plausible explanation why their server can't see my car. But since the team who is responsible for the app live in Germany, I have no ability to deal with them directly as MBUSA is the intermediary.

As an example, on the E300 (now traded) for the first month we had the car, we could not connect to the internet in that car. I called MB multiple times and no one could figure out why. Finally, one person dug deep in the system and figured out Mercedes had entered the VIN incorrectly in the system and once they fixed it, we immediately got internet services. I've asked the Me Connect people to check with the German folks to see if by chance the VIN was entered incorrectly on their side and no surprise, I was told all they can do is email the team in Germany, but they can't speak with them. Incredible, don't you think?

Last edited by rbrylaw; 11-07-2018 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:40 AM

I do. But at least now there is some evidence for optimism. Fingers crossed for you. If it's any consolation, I barely use the app in practice, but I do look at it a lot! ;-) It has some cool features if the need ever arose.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I do. But at least now there is some evidence for optimism. Fingers crossed for you. If it's any consolation, I barely use the app in practice, but I do look at it a lot! ;-) It has some cool features if the need ever arose.
Ultimately, Mercedes HAS to figure out why it won't activate and get it working. Or they'll have to take the car back. I suspect they won't do the later and will figure it out. I just wonder how long (days, weeks, months) it will take? What I use the most and have since the Mercede Me app first came out, was Send to Benz. It's very convenient the night before a road trip to be able to send an address to the car from the comfort of my living room sofa. I could send an address to my partners car from anywhere as well as he's not great at entering addresses in COMAND on his own. I can live without the other things like I virtually never lock or unlock the car remotely, or start it for that matter. But if I accidentally forgot to lock my car, it would be nice to be able to lock from the Me Connect app, which isn't possible if'n they don't get it working in my car.

Last edited by rbrylaw; 11-07-2018 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 292 Likes on 223 Posts
E 300 AMG-Line diesel-Hybrid - 2021
the way this whole Mercedes me works (or doesn't!) makes me feel like it's sort of a free gift you get with the car,
rather than an actual feature which is part OF the car...
Old 11-07-2018, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Egonvdv
the way this whole Mercedes me works (or doesn't!) makes me feel like it's sort of a free gift you get with the car,
rather than an actual feature which is part OF the car...
Interesting take on that, but from my perch, it's not a gift (we pay dearly for these things) and gift or not, I dayum well expect it to work!
Old 11-07-2018, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 653 Likes on 511 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
Interesting that you guys were talking about Vin number verification, that is critical. It's a German thing, they want to make sure and twice assured that somebody does not try and control a vehicle that is not there's, probably a good thing. They do the same with Key Verification when ordering a new key, you need to show you're ID at the dealership, again probably a good thing. Just a half hour ago I was getting a message on the Portal that my vin number did not match their records and I went through and checked everything, got them on the phone again and the woman said everything matched as we confirmed the vin. Now at the portal just as quickly as that message popped up and I was locked out from looking at the pending activation of functions with the 3 dots flashing, the message of non matching vin went away and back to all the flashing dots of services awaiting activation. The woman told me they are working on my case right now in Germany and gave me a case number if I need to call back which I probably will. For now I'll just leave things well enough alone before it gives me a nervous breakdown with things appearing to be close to activation and then the portal asking for basic questions again only to answer them and hit save only to have it come back later and ask the same questions. Hopefully within a week or two all this will be squared away. I play a lot of tennis in the hot florida sun and it would be nice to remote start my car after playing on the hot courts to cool it down before getting in. I can currently do that with with my AMG wagon but trying to keep the miles off that car.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It's interesting that we both took delivery of our new E's within a day of each other and we both can't get Mercedes Me Connect to activate on our cars. Here's to us both finding out why and getting this blasted app up and running as it should.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C300
I took delivery of a new C300 last Friday and I have not yet been able to get the Mercedes ME Connect to lock or start the car yet. I can see all of the details of the car; fuel level, battery status, window status, but the remote lock and start don't work. I took delivery of an Audi Q7 on the same day and those remote connect services are a complete PITA as well. It is painful to think about how easy this all in on a Hyundai.

Last edited by GraniteC300; 11-07-2018 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-07-2018, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by GraniteC300
I too delivery of a new C300 last Friday and I have not yet been able to get the Mercedes ME Connect to lock or start the car yet. I can see all of the details of the car; fuel level, battery status, window status, but the remote lock and start don't work. I took delivery of an Audi Q7 on the same day and those remote connect services are a complete PITA as well. It is painful to think about how easy this all in on a Hyundai.
I hope this helps you, but the Mercedes Me Connect guy who called me last night admitted that remote start was a known issue with the system at this time. I wish Mercedes would wait to put out an app like this to make sure it actually functions first. The Mercedes Me App (not the Connect app) has had that ability to remotely start the car since at least 2015, which worked just fine.
GraniteC300 (11-07-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just had my daily "what's being done about this" with the Me Connect team. This time I spoke with a manager. She said this is happening to a lot of new Benz cars. She has no clue how long it's going to take the team in Germany to figure out why or what needs to be done to fix it. She commented it may have something do with the Hermes module in the car. I'm not even sure what a Hermes module is? So I went out to my friend Google and it's evidently a communication module from a company called Hermes that the cars have to communicate with the satellites linked to the servers. I'm guessing this isn't just a switch the engineering team needs to turn on.

Oh well. The car is great at least..........
Old 11-07-2018, 04:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C300
I like your persistence. I plan to take the same approach because I find it completely unacceptable that a feature like this "just doesn't work". When their numbers in their Contact Center go through the roof, maybe someone will eventually take notice.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I encourage anyone with this to bombard the Me Connect service folks with phone calls. Here's the number to call: 800-367-6372. Make sure if you don't have a Case #, make sure they create one for you. Every time I call, I give the person my case number. It should be embarrassing to Mercedes. My brother has a KIA, which comes with an app called UVO. It works great. Maybe Mercedes should hire some Korean programmers!
Old 11-07-2018, 06:00 PM

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
E Class Estate S213
I have exactly the same problem with a brand new E Class Estate I collected last Friday. Tried several times to activate at dealers and online - to no avail.

i cannot connect via car at all to internet or Connect apps so it does feel like a module or server issue. On the me app on my phone I just getting the three flashing dots and services ‘activating’.

i too have contacted Mercedes and we (in UK) get straight through to Germany. The lady I spoke to has created a ‘service ticket’ and it has been elevated to a Mercedes Me Connect service engineer! 🤞 Let’s wait and see although I will be ringing every day!

Dealer has been helpful in verifying identity repeatedly but cannot help further!
Old 11-07-2018, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JDPEClassUK
I have exactly the same problem with a brand new E Class Estate I collected last Friday. Tried several times to activate at dealers and online - to no avail.

i cannot connect via car at all to internet or Connect apps so it does feel like a module or server issue. On the me app on my phone I just getting the three flashing dots and services ‘activating’.

i too have contacted Mercedes and we (in UK) get straight through to Germany. The lady I spoke to has created a ‘service ticket’ and it has been elevated to a Mercedes Me Connect service engineer! 🤞 Let’s wait and see although I will be ringing every day!

Dealer has been helpful in verifying identity repeatedly but cannot help further!
Welcome to the bug 'em every day till they fix it team! Yes, bug them daily. Maybe more than once daily. We do have choices when we purchase a car. We didn't buy an Audi, a BMW or a Kia. We bought a Mercedes Benz and all systems should just work. I hope more people find their way to this thread.
MBBoss18 (08-11-2019)

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mercedes Me Connect - If You Can't Connect To Your New 2019 Car