Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > E-Class (W213)
[SOLVED] Rattle from the engine compartment in low rpm (220d) >

[SOLVED] Rattle from the engine compartment in low rpm (220d)

Notices
E-Class (W213) 2016 -

Old 12-17-2018, 01:45 PM
DZL

E220d W213

Hi,

I just want to share a fix for a terrible rattle that drove me nuts for more than a year. I drive a 2016 220d that had (hopefuly) a rattle coming from the engine compartment. It was only audible in 1200-1500 rpm especially when it was cold outside . Higher was the load the more it rattled, I always rather downshifted manually while going uphill to rech the rpm in which I could not hear it.

I knew it had to be something that was connected to the engine and after a year or so I finally found it. It was a hose that comes from the engine and presses some cables against the plastic fender. A bit of felt tape fixed it.

Just a sidenote - do not be afraid of fixing the rattles yourself, it only needs felt tape and experimenting. Do not rely on the stealership, they will always tell you they could not reproduce it.

Last edited by DZL; 12-17-2018 at 03:06 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:07 PM

any pictures?
Old 12-17-2018, 04:10 PM
DZL

E220d W213
You do not see the attached pictures?
Old 12-17-2018, 06:25 PM

i can now. many thanks
Old 03-10-2019, 05:03 AM

w213 220d
Hi,i have exactly the same problem,i oly rattles arround 1200rpm ,in my car that hose is not in contact with those cables.how did you fix it,can you indicate exactly what was making that noise?
Old 03-10-2019, 01:11 PM
DZL

E220d W213
Originally Posted by Ciprian Costa View Post
Hi,i have exactly the same problem,i oly rattles arround 1200rpm ,in my car that hose is not in contact with those cables.how did you fix it,can you indicate exactly what was making that noise?
Which exaxt hose you are refering to? Check the clearance between the fender and the cable (or that metal holder attached to the piping. If there us no sufficient clearance aplly felt tape.

The culprit is the aluminium piping that moves together with the hose that comes from the engine.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:55 PM

E 220d T S213
Less subtle than that after 2 years with this annoying rattle. The dealer made the fix for rattle in dashboard and after that they could not hear anything strange. Suddenly realising this was vibrating pipes during driving, stopped and ripped up the cover on the side in engine copartment and pulled the pipes a couple of millimeters out of their position. Back with the cover and back in the car. No rattle!

We can't be the only ones with this problem so how come that it is a surprise to MB. Took the extra work to pass the dealer an they responded basically “interesting, maybe worth while noting down”
Old Yesterday, 03:14 AM

w213 220d
Originally Posted by DZL View Post
Which exaxt hose you are refering to? Check the clearance between the fender and the cable (or that metal holder attached to the piping. If there us no sufficient clearance aplly felt tape.

The culprit is the aluminium piping that moves together with the hose that comes from the engine.
In my car it is suficient clearence between the fender and the cable,i do not think the soud is comming from there. i made a video.
at 1000-1200 rpd it rattles and the floor vibrates,it does not matter if the car is in P,D or N. Any ideas?
Old Today, 08:35 AM

MY19 E450 4MATIC Coupé
I don't know where that rattle is coming from but I noticed you have engine temperature displayed on your screen in Progressive mode. Mine doesn't have this and I wish it did. I wonder why the difference... maybe it's a petrol/diesel thing...?
Old Today, 08:38 AM

w213 220d
i have no ideea ,my car is w213 220d,year 2016