E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Is Mercedes windshield glass problematic?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 10:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 Mercedes E300, 2015 Porsche Boxster S, 2012 Volvo S80 3.2
Is Mercedes windshield glass problematic?

One week ago, while returning home from our oldest Grandsons' college graduation, the windshield on our 2018 E class (with about 4000 miles) was struck on the windshield by what sounded like a pebble. I didn't think too much about it at the time. When we arrived home, and looked at the windshield, you could see a small chip, and a crack which extended from the "chip" to the top of the glass, and about a foot across the windshield on the passenger side. This took place on a Sunday, December 16th. The following day, Monday the 17th, I called my insurance agent. Here in Florida, windshield glass is covered with no deductible on our insurance policy. I was told to call the insurance company directly. (MetLife) I was told by MetLife that we could bring the car for repair anywhere we wanted. This is BS. MetLife has an alliance with SafeLite, and strongly "suggests" you bring it to SafeLite. I stated I wanted the Mercedes Dealer to handle this, and was told that the Dealer won't do the job for what MetLife will pay! So much for "bring the car anywhere we wanted".(unless I wanted to pay for the complete job myself, which is about $1,600.00) I was leery about going to SafeLite, as many years ago I had a windshield replaced by them and had numerous problems.....glass distortions, air leaks, creaking, etc. SafeLite uses aftermarket glass, although if you demand, they will obtain OEM glass. That being said, I expressed my displeasure to MetLife, and they suggested another company which they are "affiliated" with, "The Glass Doctor". On the surface, this seemed like a better choice, as right away they stated they much prefer to use and will obtain the OEM glass, and use OEM adhesive. I did some research online and found numerous complaint reviews online about Safelite so I was not going down the SafeLite road. Glass Doctor set up an appointment for me to come in and have the windshield replaced.

I arrived at Glass Doctor, waited about 20 minutes and was then told the glass was not there from the Dealership. "Why did you not call?" I asked. "Apology, Apology", etc. I was told they will have to call me to set up a new appointment. Later that day, I get a call, and am told the glass has to come in from Germany, so we are looking at early January! In the mean time, my wife will not drive the car, (this is her car) as she feels it is unsafe. (And she is actually correct, as glass forms an integral part of the structure for safety of the car). "This glass is apparently "special" as it is acoustic glass, and the car has numerous sensors"...(lane change assist, acoustic package, etc....no heads up display though)... also: once the glass is installed, I must bring the car to the Mercedes Dealer so the computer can be reprogrammed for the new glass! (Safety systems). And now we wait until "early January".

While waiting, I did some further research, and came up with an interesting and disturbing article (some of it self serving, but if you scroll down, it appears to have many reviews from Mercedes owners) It appears that many Mercedes owners have had windshield problems. Here is the article......https://info.glass.com/mercedes-glas...t/#comment-761. If what I am reading is correct, this could be the beginning of a process that will be unacceptable. And if this becomes an unacceptable process .....(if, if , if) this will be our first and last Mercedes. We shall see.
Old 12-24-2018, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 772 Likes on 610 Posts
I've never had any issues with MB glass or getting it replaced. State Farm has a Florida hotline for windshield claims. I simply tell them the situation (chip or crack and location) and tell them where I want the repairs done. I call the repair shop and give them a claim number to schedule an appointment. Unfortunately windshield longevity for me is between 2 and 3 years. The shop listed below uses OEM parts though I have no experience replacing the "acoustic comfort" glass. They have replaced two BMW and on MB windshields for me. I've been very happy with their work.

Give them a call to see if they deal with Met Life.
Glass-Pros 5767 157th Ave. North
Clearwater, FL 33760 Phone: 727-507-0002
Fax: 727-532-8308
Business Hours: Monday-Thursday: 7:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
Friday: 7:30 a.m.-4 p.m.
Old 12-24-2018, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 634 Likes on 472 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
Originally Posted by amf77
..., as glass forms an integral part of the structure for safety of the car.....
How so?
It keeps bugs from getting in your teeth is all.
Has no structural strength except compressive.
Which my engineering self cannot see how it would hel pin crash as 90% of the time the windshield cracks suring wreck
Old 12-24-2018, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Maybe you need a different insurance company. I know for a fact that Geico will let me take my car to my dealership for a windshield replacement and they will bill my insurance company. I've been driving MB cars for years and have only had to replace one windshield years ago. And your fear of structural rigidity for the car is ungrounded.
Old 12-25-2018, 12:15 PM

Automotive windshields and the role they play in structure.

Please see the following link, which is one of many on the subject of automotive structure.......and yes, I will be looking into a different insurance provider.

https://drivinglife.net/windshield-p...cture-vehicle/
Old 12-25-2018, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 419 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Just my $.02:

I insure with State Farm. I have had windshields replaced on two other cars an Infiniti and a Toyota. I lease my cars so I am concerned about after market parts and being charged at the end of the lease for not having an OEM windshield.

When I had a claim, I call State Farm and they give me a number to call, usually Safelite Glass. Safelite calls me to make an appointment to have the windshield replaced at my home. I insist on OEM windshield - so that it matches the original windshield. Safelite usually say they are not authorized to order OEM. I then call State Farm and they then authorize an OEM, but advise if the windshield needs to be replaced a second time, they will only pay for an after market windshield.

At end of lease I return the car with OEM windshield and there are no problems.
Old 12-25-2018, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 634 Likes on 472 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
Originally Posted by amf77
Please see the following link, which is one of many on the subject of automotive structure.......and yes, I will be looking into a different insurance provider.

https://drivinglife.net/windshield-p...cture-vehicle/
they provide no proof or foot note.. they just say it is so ...
a Few things they said are correct - Airbag etc.

But again once the glass break in wreck it can not do anything for structure - as you are worried about it now as being cracked same thing appleis in wreck as it cracks instantly and provides no support.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:04 AM

Automotive windshields and the role they play in structure.

FYI....Please see the following link which cites various regulations pertaining to auto glass.

Still better safe than sorry. Glass will be replaced.
Old 12-31-2018, 05:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
E43
“If what I am reading is correct, this could be the beginning of a process that will be unacceptable. And if this becomes an unacceptable process .....(if, if , if) this will be the last mercedes etc etc.”

IMO your beef is with your insurance company — not mercedes. I’m in the very same situation now and chose the mercedes dealer to replace my acoustic glass windshield. Zero deductible.

Truthfully, the dealer will send it out to their regular provider, and it will be installed with OEM glass with the dealership standing behind the work. Then it’s returned to the dealer where they will re-calibrate the cameras. $1800

Last edited by Brett_E43; 12-31-2018 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:46 PM

Thank you Brett E43 for your response. I too wanted to go the route you have mentioned.....however.....

1. When this incident took place, I contacted my insurance agent and they stated I should contact the "toll free number" for the insurance company. (Met Life)
2. I was told by Met Life, I could take the car anywhere I wanted, but they would prefer I went to their associated company....SafeLite. (the statement "you can take the car anywhere you want is somewhat BS"). I stated I would rather go to the Dealer.
3. I called the Mercedes Dealer where I purchased the car, and was told that I would have to pay for the glass up front, and then it can be ordered. They wanted the money up front as they stated that the insurance companies take too long to reimburse them. I stated I would not do this, and would go to an independent glass company to do the work. (which I am sure they do as well).
4. I went back to Met Life and they stated they would contact the Dealer. All this contact achieved was to determine that the Dealer did not want to work with MetLife, as Met Life will not pay the Dealer labor rate. Again MetLife stated I should go to SafeLite, their associated company. I stated that many years ago, I had a windshield replaced by SafeLite and had numerous problems with them. (wind whistle, creaking, scratches on the car,etc.) I also looked at the current online reviews of SafeLite, and the reviews were dismal to say the least.
5. MetLife really seemed like they would prefer to not handle this at all. After prodding, they stated I could go to "The Glass Doctor", which is a big glass company here in west central Florida. I set up an appointment to have the glass installed and arrived there on 12/19/18. After waiting there for about half an hour they stated the glass had not arrived yet from the Dealer. (OEM acoustic glass). I asked why did they not call me, and received numerous apologies. Later that same day, they called and stated the glass had to come from Germany, and would not be here until the first week in January, 2019. I followed up with the "Glass Doctor" on 12/27/18 and they had not heard a confirmed date. So, we wait.

In the mean time the saga continues...... the car has sat in the garage with a battery maintainer on it, as my wife will not drive the car with a broken glass. This is her car, Fortunately, we have 3 cars, but she would much rather be driving the Mercedes as she loves (loved ?) that car. (The "chip" has spread to become a crack that is about 12 inches long)

6. The next step is replacement of the glass, when the glass arrives........without any negative issues.....and then bring the car to the dealer to re-calibrate the sensors.

My "New Years Resolutions"......
A..I will be investigating having a protective film installed on both the Mercedes and my Porsche. I don't know much about this film on the outside of the windshield, but will be gathering up information. Anyone with experience on this?
B..MetLife will be gone as soon as feasible.......and if this presents a problem for my insurance agency, they will be gone as well.
C..I will have a talk with the General Manager of the Mercedes Dealer. (Up to now, my experience with them has been quite positive)

Brett E43.....I hope your experience goes much smoother and better than mine.