E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Previous/Next Song/Station, Where Is The Button?

Old 06-21-2019, 11:41 AM

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
2016 GLE350 4MATIC
Previous/Next Song/Station, Where Is The Button?

Coming from other vehicles with dedicated physical buttons (typically on the steering wheel, dash, or both) to change to the next or previous song, I'm having trouble believing Mercedes doesn't offer a similar efficient solution (that doesn't require digging through menu screens and several steps/clicks). I'm going to give the engineers and UI designers the benefit of the doubt and assume it's already available in my car somewhere, I just haven't found it yet. I have read the manual cover-to-cover. It mentions that when the screen is displaying other information (nav, Android Auto, etc.), that I can call up the playback controls using the dedicated |>|>| playback key on top of the touchpad "mouse", or using 2 fingers to swipe up, or using voice controls. [EDIT: And I'm also aware that if the instrument cluster ("on board computer") display is showing your Radio or Media playlist information, I can change the song using the little touchpad on the steering wheel, but that is ONLY if I am viewing the Media information. The touchpad has other functions if I'm displaying MPG, MPH, etc.]

But is there a dedicated button or shortcut key for skipping to the next audio track (or rewinding back to the beginning of the current track)? I even tried adding the function to my Favorites list, but playback controls are not available from the menu. I'd be satisfied if I can assign "skip to next track" to my favorite button on the steering wheel. I don't even care if the screen changes view to display the audio track information, I just want the ability to skip ahead to the next song or jump back to the previous one on the fly (while continuing to display whatever was on the screen before).

How is everybody else doing this? I understand that a next track/station button was available in the W212 generation (according to the archives), but may have been (re)moved on the W213.

Last edited by gearFX; 06-21-2019 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 770 Likes on 608 Posts
Use the right pad in the steering wheel to move up and down a playlist. I haven't tried it on a radio station. The rotary knob on the console will change radio stations. No extra buttons needed.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tesla Model S
You can also push the "play" button on the touch pad which brings up the current track. Then a downward swipe of your finger (on the touch pad) will go to the next track (and upward swipe to the previous track).
Old 06-21-2019, 03:12 PM

2016 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by ua549
Use the right pad in the steering wheel to move up and down a playlist. I haven't tried it on a radio station. The rotary knob on the console will change radio stations. No extra buttons needed.
You are correct. I forgot to mention this in my original post (I will update it), but this still requires changing the instrument cluster ("on board computer") display and/or the COMAND (navigation) screen to the Media or Radio screen right? This doesn't seem to work when other content is being displayed (that are not audio/media related). I'm trying to find a method that works all the time regardless of what is being displayed in the instrument cluster or primary COMAND screen. Or are you saying that in your car, the right steering wheel touch pad always controls media playback, regardless of screen? Mine doesn't seem to work that way but it could certainly be operator error.

Originally Posted by Argelius
You can also push the "play" button on the touch pad which brings up the current track. Then a downward swipe of your finger (on the touch pad) will go to the next track (and upward swipe to the previous track).
Yes, I think this is the |>|>| button I was referring to in my original post. But the clicking and swiping is still too many steps (IMO) and may require taking ones eyes off the road. Are there no other (physical or digital) shortcuts?

Last edited by gearFX; 06-21-2019 at 03:18 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by gearFX:
Argelius (06-21-2019), TugboatBill (06-21-2019)
Old 06-22-2019, 12:03 AM

Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
Mercedes Benz e450 Wagon / Porsche 911 Cabriolet
This is my only principle complaint. I can't belive we don't have next track, previous track dedicated buttons that work regardless of what screen is being displayed on the entire dashboard. Even the TouchPad button requires a couple gestures rather than just one. And I disabled the touchpad anyway. Hate it.
Old 06-22-2019, 04:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 , E-Class , E220d , Diesel
Hi ,

I don't have any reply to your question , but I would like to add something on the same issue.

In my previous W212 I had an option to read the MP3 SD card all sub-directories and choose

NOW, I have great 2019 W213 with "great" multimedia system , but a simple option of reading
directories - NO WAY

Any help ???????????

Thank you
Old 06-22-2019, 07:25 AM

2016 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by nycebo
This is my only principle complaint. I can't belive we don't have next track, previous track dedicated buttons that work regardless of what screen is being displayed on the entire dashboard. Even the TouchPad button requires a couple gestures rather than just one. And I disabled the touchpad anyway. Hate it.
Ugh, so there isn't an efficient workaround? If so, then I agree this is a major oversight. I applaud Mercedes for giving us dedicated physical buttons for volume and temperature controls, but no previous/next track button is real bummer. Probably my only real complaint with the car too.

Originally Posted by taxinet
I don't have any reply to your question , but I would like to add something on the same issue.

NOW, I have great 2019 W213 with "great" multimedia system , but a simple option of reading
directories - NO WAY
Hmm, sorry I can't help you. I am able to access music in sub-directories just fine, but perhaps our file structure is different (or we're using different media sources or filetypes). You may want to try posting your question as a new thread in the forum for maximum exposure, or checking the archives to see if someone has already answered this question. I see there is an active thread in the W213 forum about USB music already. See here: USB Music Question
Old 06-22-2019, 10:12 AM

Received 356 Likes on 231 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon, 2017 Z51 Corvette
Other than the steering wheel, throttle, and brake; the next track is the most used control in my daily driver. I was planning on ordering a E63 wagon later this year. Not having a easily accessed next track button is alarming.
Old 06-22-2019, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 , E-Class , E220d , Diesel
Thank you , will open NEW one
Old 06-22-2019, 04:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 E450
I'm still waiting for my 450 (It's finally in the USA, so hopefully very soon) but I've been reading the manual occasionally to get an idea of all the new features. I'm currently in a 212 so would miss this function too. Anyway, can't check this but the manual implies that you should be able to simply use voice (next track) even if the media player is running in the background: I'll be very disappointed if that doesn't work.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:42 AM

2016 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by SalTex
I'm still waiting for my 450 (It's finally in the USA, so hopefully very soon) but I've been reading the manual occasionally to get an idea of all the new features. I'm currently in a 212 so would miss this function too. Anyway, can't check this but the manual implies that you should be able to simply use voice (next track) even if the media player is running in the background: I'll be very disappointed if that doesn't work.
Yes, the voice command method works like this:
  1. Press voice command button on steering wheel
  2. Wait 1 second for beep to let you know car is ready to "listen" to your command
  3. Say "next track" (or "previous track"--haven't tried a voice command to jump to beginning of current track to repeat it)
  4. Next/previous track begins playing

It still takes too long (vs. a simple physical button), and I don't like 'talking' to my car that often (maybe a generational thing), especially in the middle of enjoying music.

Has anybody figured out a way to map the "Favorite" (star) button on the steering wheel to skip ahead to the next track/station (or go to previous track/station)?
Old 06-24-2019, 07:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 631 Likes on 471 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
Does it not work like this:
If in radio or USB music or CD and shows on screen...
just rotate the knob under that touchy thingy?
Like on the older W212s?

But if in Nav then yeah you need to go to RADIO on steering wheel and change track there
As everything else controls maps
Old 06-24-2019, 08:44 AM

That's exactly my experience. I don't leave the radio or media screen up, preferring NAV. As a result, it's always a couple button presses to do the job of one button press in all my other cars.

Of course, why not just remap that stupid and useless menu button on the center console? I NEVER use it to evaluate air flow patterns in my car.

Originally Posted by ygmn
Does it not work like this:
If in radio or USB music or CD and shows on screen...
just rotate the knob under that touchy thingy?
Like on the older W212s?

But if in Nav then yeah you need to go to RADIO on steering wheel and change track there
As everything else controls maps
Old 06-24-2019, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I split the right screen between nav and media. That way the controls work on media, but I can still see the nav map. If I need to see more of the map, I press the nav button. That said, I use voice controls most of the time so I can keep both hands on the steering wheel.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 631 Likes on 471 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
Now I understand and yeah it sucks..

What I do in my older car is put nav on and then change the cluster display to audio portion so I can easily change songs as I like...

Stinks cause then you do not see miles to empty etc which i Prefer on long hauls.

Gues it is GERMAN thing or they never thought of it and need a suggestion box as I am sure the could fix software to where you could shange favorite button to fast forward song. (excuse the old Cassette lingo but somethings are hard to change)
Old 06-24-2019, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Display miles to empty on the left instrument display.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:24 PM

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
E Class Estate S213
Display miles to empty on the left instrument display.
👍🏼
Old 06-25-2019, 12:41 PM

2016 GLE350 4MATIC
I split the right screen between nav and media. That way the controls work on media, but I can still see the nav map. If I need to see more of the map, I press the nav button.
Wait, you can have more than one function displayed on the right screen at once (a la BMW iDrive)? (I don't mean momentarily recalling the playback "toast" bar at the bottom after pressing the playback button on the "mouse"--that isn't persistent and disappears in a few seconds). How do I split the right screen between 2 functions? (And will this work while using Android Auto too?)
Old 06-25-2019, 01:34 PM

It doesn't work using Android Auto.

From the manual, go to the home menu, scroll to SYSTEM, select Display and Designs, Select Additional Display Area, select Navigation Map or Consumption or Time and Date.

Last edited by nycebo; 06-25-2019 at 01:39 PM. Reason: updated with manual
Old 06-25-2019, 03:10 PM

2016 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by nycebo
It doesn't work using Android Auto.

From the manual, go to the home menu, scroll to SYSTEM, select Display and Designs, Select Additional Display Area, select Navigation Map or Consumption or Time and Date.
Thank you, I since found it myself but that is some half-baked implementation (it doesn't work using all screen combinations, and only a handful of screens are available). Plus, like you mentioned, it doesn't work with Android Auto, so back to the drawing board!
Old 06-25-2019, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You are one of the few people that actually use AA. All the functionality of AA is available in COMAND without using AA.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
On the touchpad use 2 fingers to swipe up. That pops up the quick music controls regardless of what screen you are on. Then swipe to go to previous or next song. This works regardless of audio source, Bluetooth, media, carplay, etc. and works from any single screen.

That is the quickest way that I’ve found.
The following users liked this post:
gearFX (06-26-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 11:47 AM

2016 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by rage2
On the touchpad use 2 fingers to swipe up. That pops up the quick music controls regardless of what screen you are on. Then swipe to go to previous or next song. This works regardless of audio source, Bluetooth, media, carplay, etc. and works from any single screen.

That is the quickest way that I’ve found.
Thank you. I tried this method and it's not too bad (after accepting it still requires too many steps and requires taking your hand off the wheel). I might adopt this as my favorite workaround. One tip: the touch pad doesn't seem to register my 2 fingers when they are close together. But it works every time if I separate my fingers (think "peace sign").
Old 06-26-2019, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
Originally Posted by gearFX
Thank you. I tried this method and it's not too bad (after accepting it still requires too many steps and requires taking your hand off the wheel). I might adopt this as my favorite workaround. One tip: the touch pad doesn't seem to register my 2 fingers when they are close together. But it works every time if I separate my fingers (think "peace sign").
If you don't want to take hands off wheels, set the dash middle configurable panel to media. You can swipe to change songs there too. I find that one more distracting for some reason and prefer the 2 finger method.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:43 PM

2016 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by rage2
If you don't want to take hands off wheels, set the dash middle configurable panel to media. You can swipe to change songs there too. I find that one more distracting for some reason and prefer the 2 finger method.
I tried it that way and it's certainly more immediate/direct using the steering wheel touch pad, but then I have to leave the media screen up and miss seeing all the trip computer data in the instrument cluster. Hmmm, so many trade-offs...

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Previous/Next Song/Station, Where Is The Button?