E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Two new issues on e450 with 10k mi.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 03:08 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
e450
Two new issues on e450 with 10k mi.

I have been loving my 2019 e450 since January. However, over the last 3 weeks two issues have cropped up and I wanted to ask if anyone has encountered them before. They both seem bizarre enough to me that I can't tell if I'm insane or if it's the car.

First one is the most challenging -- after about 10-20min of driving and under 30mph, I can hear a rattle that seems to be coming from the front dash when I go over even the smallest bumps in the road. I can't pinpoint it, but it doesn't sound mechanical to me and if I have my windows rolled down, it doesn't sound exterior. However, I have hit my share of gnarly potholes to the point of where it could be something underneath, but I just doubt it. If I didn't know any better, I would say it's something loose in the dash but right under the windshield, closer to the drivers' side. I really hope I'm not the only one to have experienced this, because I can only imagine the dealer never "hearing" it.

Second issue... the drivers side window switch intermittently now won't do the "auto close" even when I pull it up past the threshold on the button. Sometimes it will even go down a half an inch after fully closing it. Then, sometimes it works! I think that is an easy replacement, but so strange.

Thanks to anyone who has any experience on insights on these!
Bacondude
Old 09-11-2019, 05:41 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2019 E450 4 matic
Originally Posted by bacondude
I have been loving my 2019 e450 since January. However, over the last 3 weeks two issues have cropped up and I wanted to ask if anyone has encountered them before. They both seem bizarre enough to me that I can't tell if I'm insane or if it's the car.

First one is the most challenging -- after about 10-20min of driving and under 30mph, I can hear a rattle that seems to be coming from the front dash when I go over even the smallest bumps in the road. I can't pinpoint it, but it doesn't sound mechanical to me and if I have my windows rolled down, it doesn't sound exterior. However, I have hit my share of gnarly potholes to the point of where it could be something underneath, but I just doubt it. If I didn't know any better, I would say it's something loose in the dash but right under the windshield, closer to the drivers' side. I really hope I'm not the only one to have experienced this, because I can only imagine the dealer never "hearing" it.

Second issue... the drivers side window switch intermittently now won't do the "auto close" even when I pull it up past the threshold on the button. Sometimes it will even go down a half an inch after fully closing it. Then, sometimes it works! I think that is an easy replacement, but so strange.

Thanks to anyone who has any experience on insights on these!
Bacondude

I have a 2019 E450 4Matic, with acoustic package, I picked up in February. I have noticed a very faint rattle dead ahead of the steering wheel under the dash pad. I usually notice it under 30mph on the road to my house. It almost sounds like a rubber or plastic sheath from wiring or vacuum hose vibrating against something. It is so faint that I have been ignoring it until my next visit to the dealership in February. That's all I can contribute. No other issues.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 298 Likes on 226 Posts
E 300 AMG-Line diesel-Hybrid - 2021
probably the grill right in front on you on top of the dash.
it's a known issue and there is a fix (padding underneath it)
Old 09-12-2019, 08:02 AM

Received 110 Likes on 94 Posts
2021 M550i
regarding the window you have to reset it. but considering it sometimes works and sometimes it doesnt, i would take it in for warranty.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:36 PM

e450
This was super helpful, thank you! I bet it is the dash issue given that's exactly what it sounds like. You mention the window needs to be "reset." Is that something I could do?

thanks again to everyone, this is great.
bacon
Old 09-12-2019, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
Originally Posted by bacondude
This was super helpful, thank you! I bet it is the dash issue given that's exactly what it sounds like. You mention the window needs to be "reset." Is that something I could do?

thanks again to everyone, this is great.
bacon
The window reset procedure is pretty straight forward. Hopefully its still the same.
  • With the car on or in ingition 1 position, lower the windows without engaging the auto down function.
  • keep holding the button down the window is completely down. once completely down, without letting go of the button, press the window down button all the way down to engage the auto down feature and hold for about 3-5 seconds
  • then press the window up button until it goes all the way to the top and when it is completely up, without letting go of the button, press the window up button all the way to engage the auto down feature and hold for 3-5 seconds
this should reset the stored stop points for the windows.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:33 PM

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts
2022 GLE 450 (Black on Black)
Last week, out of nowhere, for the first time, I heard a low level rattle right under the steering wheel/dashboard on our 2019 CLS 450. It drove us crazy while driving. After playing with the steering wheel (moving it up and down) and massaging the steering column plastic lower cover, the noise went away. Very strange. Hopefully, this will be helpful.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:58 PM

e450
Thanks -- these are all helpful. I have tried to hold the dash grill down and it still makes the sound. I will try the steering column thing next. I hear it closer to the edge of the dash, as if it's under the window or even closer to the hood. It's it's left of center but not too far from the middle. I recall when I had a truck that I once went over a big bump and caused an issue with the pads that connect the frame to the body (almost like o-rings) and it made similar sounds. But I also don't really know what I'm talking about and not sure why it wouldn't do it at higher speeds -- or all of the time. And in many ways it's less of a rattle and more of subtle click. Regardless, I hope it becomes constant so I can have the dealer hear it and I really hope it just isn't one of those sounds that will forever linger. It makes me insane.
Thanks again.
The following users liked this post:
haibieb (09-14-2019)
Old 12-05-2019, 07:28 PM

e450
Solved the rattle issue!

Hi there,
Just updating everyone... so my rattle ended up being a broken end link in the left front sway bar. Covered under warranty.
Hope this helps someone.
B
The following 3 users liked this post by bacondude:
Lanzz (12-05-2019), martinlarose (12-06-2019), SpaceDesign (01-26-2020)
Old 12-20-2019, 08:15 PM

e450
I spoke too soon...

Ok well, another dealer another day and it’s not the sway bar end link. They are now replacing the strut mounts. This actually sounds right to me as I had an issue with a similar sound on my old truck once. I will update the thread here in the hopes that my trials will help someone in the future. Those potholes really can do a number on this car.

To date the only thing they did was add foam tape to the screen, but that didn’t do anything to help.

I will find out Monday if the strut mounts are it.
Old 12-22-2019, 05:39 PM

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
e300
Rattle is easy to fix. 2 possibilities.

1.) Rearview mirror. tap/slap the rearview mirror, there might be a rattle from there. take the mirror and move it all around. should help it, its techically on the inside but might help the rattle

2.) Front dash mesh. take a credit card and remove the dash mesh. dont be scared its really easy. you might need to put velcro felt under the feet/tabs. the feet/tabs are not making enough pressure and thus the millimeter or less of non-contact allows for vibrations. MB actually put their own felt underneath the mesh due to known vibration/rattling
Old 12-22-2019, 09:33 PM

Received 125 Likes on 92 Posts
2020 MB E450 Estate, 2019 Kia Niro Touring
Originally Posted by mobster600
2.) Front dash mesh.
Okay, I'll bite: what is the Front dash mesh? (Ducks from attacking comments)
Old 12-23-2019, 08:51 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto

The following 2 users liked this post by konigstiger:
Cerave (12-23-2019), jl199986 (12-24-2019)
Old 12-28-2019, 03:23 AM

e450
And finally...

We are finally done (at least it hasn’t been reproduced in the last 3hrs) with the subtle rattle that was driving me insane. In the end it was a shim on the left strut mount that was missing (!!) I asked if it would have broken and fallen but the service rep said it probably never got it in production. Hrmmmnnnn, ok. Regardless, kudos to them for getting it right after several tries over many weeks. What seemed like a dash rattle was quite different. Now on to obsess about something else...
-b