E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Are perforated brakes supposed to make noise?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 02:23 PM

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
2019 E450 Cabriolet, 2020 GLS450
Are perforated brakes supposed to make noise?

So I've been complaining to the MB dealer for months that my 2019 E450 Cabriolt makes a ticking noise while moving. The cadence of the ticking noise is directly proportional to the speed of the car. If you apply the brakes, the ticking noise diminishes. If you let up on the brakes, the noise comes back.

For three separate service visits on this, the shop foreman kept talking down to me like I was an idiot and said he couldn't hear anything. Finally, I waited over an hour today and instead someone else, who didn't treat me like a complete moron, to ride with me. I ended up taking the service manager for a ride in my car. This service manager heard the noise right away (maybe the shop foreman needs a different job if he cannot hear problems with a car).

So, the service manager tells me the noise is normal and is because of the high performance slotted front rotors on this car. He said the sound is literally the pads brushing against the perforations. Now, I'v never owned a car with "high performance slotted rotors" before.... but I'm having a difficult time believing that a car that clocked in just shy of $100,000 is supposed to make a audible ticking noise. Also, not a auto mechanic, but WHY would the brake pads even be touching the rotors unless my foot was on the brake pedal????

So.... to the folks here.... am I wrong? Is the MB Dealer trying to sell me a bill of goods here and telling fibs to get me to drop it? (Full disclosure... the service manager did say they would inspect to see if somethings out of alignment on the pad/rotors and if I want he will replace the pads and rotors on both front wheels.

Last edited by sackboydad; 10-01-2019 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-01-2019, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 575 Likes on 434 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Both my Boxster, all four disc and my E450 front discs, have drilled discs.

From the internet:

"When the brake pad grabs the rotor, it creates friction, which creates heat. ... A wet brake rotor is slippery and difficult for the brake pads to grab. Having drilled holes on a brake rotor makes it easy for heat, gas and water to be quickly moved away from the rotor surface, keeping the brake performance strong."

Neither of my cars have a "ticking sound".

Unless MB has discovered something that no other manufacturer has, the pads should never be riding or touching the discs except when brake pedal pressure is applied.

If you pads are indeed touching the discs, they need to be adjusted. Pads touching the discs will not only eat up the pads but will cause the discs to overheat.
Old 10-01-2019, 03:21 PM

Received 125 Likes on 92 Posts
2020 MB E450 Estate, 2019 Kia Niro Touring
The pads are hitting the HOLES, huh? Maybe these are special raised holes?

No, there are so many holes, the sound would be constant, if in fact that were possible. Sounds to me like one little piece of disc is sticking out just far enough to hit the pad. The pads are self-centering, sprung away from the discs, but it wouldn't be the first time a pad was hitting the brake disc. If you can, feel around the outside of the disc to see if there's a protrusion anywhere. Doubt it's causing a problem other than being annoying.
Old 10-01-2019, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
If you are certain it is coming from the braking system, it can be a few things.
  • inspect the brake pads itself. if the backing plate got separated from the thin shim, that will create a ticking/clicking sound. sound goes away when apply brakes since its being squeezed.
  • warping rotor making contact with the pads. even a slight warp can make noise since the gap is minimal. sound goes away when apply brakes, and if it is badly warped, you will feel pulsating/feedback in the brake pedal.
  • debris trapped in the rotor hole or brake pad..
  • debris trapped behind the rotor dust shield can make annoying rattle/ticking noises, but wouldn't necessarily go away when applying the brakes.
Old 10-04-2019, 04:42 PM

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
2019 E450 Cabriolet, 2020 GLS450
So... update.....

They actually changed out (for the second time) both back rotors and pads. They said they put the car on a — can’t remember the name but — car treadmill and they could clearly hear the ticking coming from the back wheel.

they also tightened and changed a bunch of seals and gaskets to get rid of the squeak in the ragtop.

but when I picked up the car I immediately saw a DENT IN MY DRIVERS DOOR!!! Certainly was not there when I dropped it off. Called right away and was asked to bring it back Monday. The service advisor said it likely happened in the parking lot where the car was stored overnight. Took a photo and sent it along with a written statement of the damage and sent it to the service advisor. Had the car for over a year — practicality wore white linen gloves when getting within 10 feet of it ... always parked far far away or within inches of a curb of an island to leave the maximum amount of space between my car and any other.... only to have the first door ding caused by the service department at the dealer!!

Old 10-05-2019, 02:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 C230C, 2010 C300 Totaled, 2017 E550C, 2018 C300, still collecting
Sorry you're not experiencing the best or nothing slogan. MB set a bar so high they can't achieve. Some of the dealerships valets are just idiots and don't care to treat your baby with respect.

The first tech may actually have some hearing difficulty giving the tech the benefit of the doubt, but at least the service dept. did replace parts in hopes of ridding the irritating ticking sound when applying your brakes. Hopefully that solved the problem.

The ding they put on you car is just freakin unaccpetable. They will have a PDR tech come out and take the ding out. If the PDR tech is good, you will not notice it at all after the repair.

I would complain and make some noise about the poor experience and see if they can give you at least 2 free oil changes.

Enjoy your beautiful car!

Last edited by MB0to130; 10-05-2019 at 02:08 AM.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:27 PM

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
e300
sometimes the things we buy end up being a curse rather then a blessing. I totally feel your frustration. i too had my car in and out of the dealer on 2 occasions. my dealer was very nice about everything and were accommodating and understanding. Serenity NOW!!! hahah
Old 01-16-2020, 07:01 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2020 MB GLE 350
No they are not. I'e had many vehicles with perforated brakes and have not heard one screech of a noise.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 797 Likes on 629 Posts
I typically do some very hard braking at least once a month. It removes debris buildup from the pads and rotors that can make noise when only light braking is used.