Diesel engine now cheaper than petrol ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 298 Likes on 226 Posts
E 300 AMG-Line diesel-Hybrid - 2021
Diesel engine now cheaper than petrol ?

My lease ends this year so i started to look for my next car.
To my surprise i saw on the mercedes France website that the diesel engine is abt 2000 euro cheaper than petrol.
I also checked on mercedes Netherlands and there the prices of diesel & petrol are the same,
where as before a diesel was a good 4-5k euro more expensive
has this got something to do with the fact that diesel is falling from grace in europe?
Old 01-06-2020, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 807 Likes on 639 Posts
I heard that diesel cars will be banned in Paris and London this year. I don't know exactly when or if a ban is immanent.
Diesels are dirtier than petrol. You may wish to consider an EQC 400 pure electric SUV. They are so popular in Europe that the US introduction was postponed for another year.
Old 01-07-2020, 05:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Funny: just read an article about the EQC being disaster in sales & bmw/audi/tesla easily outsell mercedes on the eletric front..

For sure diesels will be banned more & more, but for now it's mainly the older ones.
as i'm leasing i don't really care what the car will be worth after 3 years, but if i had to buy new, i doubt i'd buy diesel.
Still quite surprised by the drop in price though.

Old 01-07-2020, 04:28 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
2019 E200 sedan
The 200d is a 1,6 diesel now so that might be the reason. I believe the 200d is also cheaper than the 200 in Sweden
The following users liked this post:
Egonvdv (01-08-2020)
Old 01-08-2020, 06:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I see the difference now

my car 1950 cm3 - 150 horse power (110kw)

New model 1597 cm3 - 160 horse power (118kw)

on paper the new engine, though smaller, seems more powerful ?

i really don't know anything about engines so any feedback would be appreciated.

My present engine as enough power for me as i don't need a race monster, but i don't want to go any lower...

Old 01-10-2020, 05:31 PM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
EQC 4matic AMG line Premium Plus replacing S213 220d 4matic with airmatic
Just to pick up on a previous poster. New diesels are not dirty they are pretty close to petrol apart from co2 where they are substantially better than petrol. The move from diesel to petrol in greenhouse emissions terms is an absolute disaster and will be seen as such as emissions continue to climb. Adblue has made a huge difference to nox etc.
I will not move to petrol so am either going to go hybrid or fully electric. Egonvdv have you looked at the hybrid diesel? Looks to be best of both if you need range apart from loss of boot space. Would fit in well for me as many of my journeys are short but also need range.
Agree mercedes seem to be slow developing electric. My lease ends in 2021 so maybe they will have something suitable by then.
Old 01-11-2020, 03:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

the hybrid diesel (E class) does not exist in France, at least have not seen it on the website...?
hybride/petrol yes, but it is abt 10k more expensive, so not sure if it's worth it on a 3 year lease.
and even though the price of the diesel engine has dropped, with the exact same option I have currently , the new car will be abt 4k more expensive?!
Old 01-11-2020, 04:46 AM

Well i had a loaner e300de berline in sept when my car was having its annual service and my garage has an e300de in the showroom. Am certain they are on sale. The hybrid is a 220d mated to electric and there was when i looked at it quite a premium. However it seems it will enable you to enter cities with electric only though whether the law will be tightened in that regard.
It ran beautifully and the switch in of the diesel was surprisingly good only the rev counter showed it up. Debunked the rubbish about how quiet electric cars are v ice as you still have the road noise and it made me appreciate how well mercedes have done with the current 220d which i never really hear.
it compromises the estate with the battery sitting effectively on the load floor and there is no 4matic which for me is a difficulty given the local road conditions which are rural muddy.
Agree when leasing we are protected from sudden changes in the market but I bet leasing costs are going up on diesels.
I suspect there will be some big changes introduced in all our cities soon given the climate crises we are in and I see Macron has already instituted the climate citizens assembly so that is definitely going to throw up things. But for us rural folk it is so much harder as we have no public transport to fall back on.
I am viewing my current car as the last one of it's type and desperately hoping mercedes can pull their finger out to offer me a decent replacement to match it. I would consider the EQC but do not want an SUV as i find a higher ride unsettling on poor roads and prefer a lower centre of gravity. It is the one area of criticism of the EQC too. Also i need a long loadspace .......(classic brit still bricolaging the renovated longere&#128580. And 4matic please.....not asking for much😂
speak to your dealer they may have more info. Bonne chance!
Old 01-11-2020, 05:02 AM

Forgot to mention have you seen this years grid for the bonus malus? Top tax now is 12500 euro! All have increased as they try to push the average co2 emissions lower.
Interestingly the uk fleeet where there has been a knee jerk reaction against diesel has seen its overall emissions rise. Manufacturers will now have to pay larger fines so i assume it will be the driver for them to keep reducing engine sizes and overall fleet co2 emissions. Our american members you will probably see the effect too as options are reduced and a lucky few will be able to buy 1 of the few high powered models made.
Old 01-11-2020, 06:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

seems I overlooked it.
found it now an configured. - Thanks @parkwood
at 78k it's the most expensive out of diesel, essence, hybride/essence, hybride/diesel,
but I've now asked the lease co to give me a quote for each, as have no idea if the engine type has an effect on the monthly rent..

the EQC looks nice, but it's way too expensive to fit my lease budget.
also at 400km range, it's not ideal for me as I drive 100km each day
I can not charge at home and at work it would take quite some effort to put in a charging station.
That leaves the service stations, but at 40 mins for a charge it's not ideal
Besides, so far I see very little (no?) charging station here in the Marseille area...

Old 01-11-2020, 07:23 AM

I hear your charging concerns which are in a way city dwellers version of us rural folks lack of public transport!
Ironically every town and many of the smaller villages have charging points her in L'orne so i could guarantee topping up easily.
Charging at home is also easy which by the way on a mains plug took 5hrs for the hybrid from 20% to full so a wallbox is a necessity at about 1250 euro I think.....
We are in the difficult changeover period and clearly there is a long way to go. I would expect Marseille to start putting chargers everywhere soon. With Peugeot and Renault starting to roll out their electric citaines the cities will have to make it possible for owners to charge their cars if they want people to be able to move to hybrid or electric.
mercedes will have to start becoming competitive soon or they could be killed off if the public take to electric cars en masse