E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Center console stopped working & Blinking red light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 12:08 PM

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
2019 E450 Cabriolet, 2020 GLS450
Center console stopped working & Blinking red light

Just a bit ago I went to Costco in my 2019 E450 Cab.

Everything normal. When I came out, used my foot to open the trunk to put in what I bought. Everything fine. Got in the car, started it and did the two things I always do... set it to economy and turn the stupid start/stop thing off. I didn’t see the start/stop light on when I turned it off but thought maybe I wasn’t paying attention.

Didn’t think anything, then I tried to turn down the volume by the knob in the center console. Didn’t work so I figured my phone did something dumb and turned it down on the steering wheel. Worked. Was using the touchpad to scroll through tracks on my iPhone no problem.

To make a long story short (too late) I eventually noticed the car wasn’t going into gliding mode like it usually does in E mode. Looked down and saw it was in comfort. Thought I had a brain fart and pulled down on the mode switch to change it to E and nothing happened. Tried all the buttons around the touchpad and none of them worked. The touchpad worked - I never thought to try the knob because I never use it.

When I got home, I turned the car off, opened the door, waited a few seconds and started up again... still none of the buttons around the touchpad worked. Not even the power button (we all know COMAND gets stupid sometimes and you have to force a reboot by holding the power button down). Reboot didn’t work. I didn’t think of trying the buttons in the upper center console (climate, media, vehicle, etc)

I noticed something I’d never seen before (and I notice everything &#128556. There was a slow blinking round, small LED light next to the analog clock.

Figured I had to get my frozen food out of the trunk so I opened the trunk from the inside, took some of my stuff out and looked and saw the little red light still blinking. When I got to the last of the items in my trunk, I took them out then put the ragtop partition back down (I had put it up to make room).

I looked over and noticed the red light wasn’t blinking any more. Got in the car, turned it in and all the buttons worked again.

Any idea?

Ps... sorry for the Tom Clancy novel 😬
Old 04-21-2020, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts
2017 E300
the blinking light next to the analog clock is the security alarm light. So if you lock your car, that will start to blink. Or let's say the car is locked, and you unlock the trunk, that light will blink. However, this is my experience in a sedan, where if unlocked, the light I dont think will blink. In a cab, maybe there is still security when unlocked because of roof. Anyway, I dont think the light has to do with anything here, just a coincidence that you noticed it. It shouldn't have been on while driving. As for the buttons, chalk it up to a glitch.
Old 04-21-2020, 01:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,421 Likes on 3,147 Posts
'71 Pinto
Agree could be a glitch caused by sequence of events. Consider having dealer check for stored fault codes under warranty and check battery voltage.