E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

MB NVIDIA over the air software updates

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 05:20 PM

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2018 E400S
MB NVIDIA over the air software updates

The link below gives a long but interesting glimpse of the future. For me the most interesting part was speculation on what the business model will be. Tesla (we own an M3 in addition to the E400S) has been making software updates available at no cost for years. Some of these are bug fixes, but others make available new features that were not developed when the car was sold.

Reading behind the lines its likely that this will not be how MB operates, and that we will either have to buy annual subscriptions or pay for individual updates and features. For example, Tesla uses google maps for live traffic, while for MB we have to purchase new maps after 3 years at a cost of $ several hundred. More customer gouging along those lines seems likely.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/m...d-partnership/
Old 06-30-2020, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 801 Likes on 633 Posts
I don't think you can call map updates or other software updates gouging! Updates have a cost and consumers should be willing to pay for them. Updates to proprietary computer software are all sold rather than given away free - think Windows, Office, TurboTax, ...
Old 06-30-2020, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,827 Likes on 2,557 Posts
2019 C63CS
Businesses use different models for this stuff. Some make money selling the hardware and the software is given away for free, including updates or there is a fixed cost built into the hardware sale. Think smartphones for example. You buy the phone and then receive updates and new features for several years. Not all vendors are as generous, but Apple for example keeps supporting fairly old phone hardware and continues to provide new OS versions with new features and updates as long as the hardware supports it. Certain new features are not available on older hardware, but there is no cost associated with the updates. Windows 10 is similar. You buy a new PC and it comes with the OS and future updates are free. There's a license cost built into the purchase price of the PC. Pure software companies that don't sell hardware, either sell a perpetual license and you have to pay for major updates or they sell a subscription that entitles you to updates for a period of time. MB currently essentially includes a 3 year subscription for the maps and ME services. After that you have to pay to extend the subscription. Audi sells 6 and 18 month subscriptions for their services at a pretty costly price. They only include a 6 months trial.

Ultimately as said above it costs money to develop the software and run it. The cloud infrastructure behind all these services incurs operational costs that need to be covered somehow. Either MB builds this into the purchase price of a new car and effectively increases the MSRP, or they break it out into separate subscriptions, but there's no free lunch. Car manufacturers are also toying with selling options aftermarket. Today you need to pick all the options you want in your car, but if you later regret not getting something there seldom is a way to retrofit it. But what if for example you could purchase the driver assistance package etc later when you realize that you really like to have it, or other features that can be activated via software? Also allows used car buyers to purchase features that the original owner didn't order. Makes finding a used car much easier if you don't have to hunt down one that checks all your boxes. This could also make the initial purchase of the cars cheaper, because manufacturers can make money of the sale of used cars if the buyer wants to add some features. Today they only make money on the initial sale of the car, so that has to cover their R&D, operational costs etc. If some of that revenue can be deferred downstream, then the price of the car for the original buyer could be lowered.

Last edited by superswiss; 06-30-2020 at 05:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DMWelk (07-01-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 06:00 PM

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2018 E400S
Originally Posted by ua549
I don't think you can call map updates or other software updates gouging! Updates have a cost and consumers should be willing to pay for them. Updates to proprietary computer software are all sold rather than given away free - think Windows, Office, TurboTax, ...
Respectfully I disagree. As Tesla develops new software features which are installed on newly sold cars, they incur minimal additional cost in making those available to the fleet, and generates customer loyalty. This should be the model for other car manufacturers. Tesla does charge an arm and a leg for the autopilot and FSD software packages (hardware is installed on all cars but not activated), both at sale of new car, and if purchasers of older cars wish to have either of those features activated, and for a major feature like that it seems appropriate. They also charge a monthly connection fee (I think its $10 or $12) to get live traffic etc.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:23 PM

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts
MB W213 E300 4MATIC Luxury Model
Originally Posted by wagonsrock
Respectfully I disagree. As Tesla develops new software features which are installed on newly sold cars, they incur minimal additional cost in making those available to the fleet, and generates customer loyalty. This should be the model for other car manufacturers. Tesla does charge an arm and a leg for the autopilot and FSD software packages (hardware is installed on all cars but not activated), both at sale of new car, and if purchasers of older cars wish to have either of those features activated, and for a major feature like that it seems appropriate. They also charge a monthly connection fee (I think its $10 or $12) to get live traffic etc.
I am with you 100% on this. MB takes their customers for granted. As soon as you acquire a new vehicle it’s already outdated. I special ordered my 2015 C class so I would have the latest technology and within months the 2016 E class came out with much better technology. I then after 2 years went for the 2017 E with P3 package. The very next year 2018 had improved technology. Well I will be keeping this one until MB gets their act together. Maybe 2025 depending on how they handle the software updates
The following users liked this post:
ahmed031516 (07-04-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 E300 4Matic Q3 Pkg.
Originally Posted by ua549
it amazes me how some of the portable GPS companies give you lifetime updates for their units and cost less than the one year update yet MB and other auto makers want a hefty price yearly for updates.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 801 Likes on 633 Posts
Originally Posted by wagonsrock
Tesla Autopilot w/Self Driving Computer is currently priced at $8,000 on a model S according to the Tesla website.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:11 AM

Received 87 Likes on 62 Posts
2019 E 450 4 Matic T-model, 2014 Jag F-Type vert, 2004 Volvo V70R
I expect you will have to park the car in a service bay at the dealership and a technician will stand beside the car while the update downloads. Ka-*****.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 692 Likes on 514 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
By a chevy comes with apple car phone thingy so your updates and maps are free from your phone

Problem solved.

Thing is tech is changing quicker then cars are developed and sold.
Not easy changing a car line or car design..

so they design 2023 car today... what will be new tech in 2023?
Need to know today so it makes it in 2023....

That is why I think it best these car companies leave the radio/nav system to others.... and go with apple/android "CAR" phones....to power software....

As for the features...well they got to develop
make sure they are hacker proof.
Make sure they are safe and meet world different Government specs..

Oh crap they missed deadline already....