E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Android Auto App

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2021, 08:06 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
E450 Coupe
Android Auto App

I've got an Android phone and Android Auto in my E 450 Coupe. Yes, I can see texts on the MBUX screen that come into my phone while driving. But not emails. Is there a third-party app that I can use that will give me some sort of notification through MBUX when an email comes in to my Outlook Exchange email account? Any recommendations for apps that have worked well for you would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-22-2021, 06:35 AM

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts
S63 AMG Cabrio
Exclamation

Good question, since this worked perfectly in the older COMAND NTG 5*2 systems, but they did hide(!) this feature from the NTG 5*5 and later systems (MBUX = NTG 6 I think, the new S-class has MUBX NTG 7). They want you to use the paid(!) Office function, but that only shows your Outlook/O365/Google agenda from that day on your COMAND screen, no email. This feature might be re-activated using the famous Engineering Mode, but despite lot of attempts, noboy seems able to enable that currently..........(even the dealer needs a car specific password that they will not get easily).

I found a workaround, posted earlier, using the capability of the COMAND system to show the SMS messages on your (Android) phone on the cars screen: Notification Forwarder Pro (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...org.groebl.sms ). This uses the BT MAP profile to show not only SMS, but also emails AND other messages, like WhatsApp, etc on your COMAND screen (limited by about 1 page of text, that seems enough for most important emails), the COMAND system can even speak these messages out loud for you, so no safety issue here
The following 2 users liked this post by HAWKiS63:
donarizon (03-22-2021), velryba (03-23-2021)
Old 03-22-2021, 11:09 AM

E450 Coupe
Thanks so much ... will give it a try!
Old 03-27-2021, 10:39 AM

E450 Coupe
Unfortunately, Notification Pro doesn't work. I contacted the developer of the app and he says it wasn't designed for Android Auto. Anyone else out there know a way to get email notifications from your Android phone (not just texts) to appear on the MBUX screen?
Old 03-28-2021, 08:25 AM

S63 AMG Cabrio
Originally Posted by donarizon
Unfortunately, Notification Pro doesn't work. I contacted the developer of the app and he says it wasn't designed for Android Auto. Anyone else out there know a way to get email notifications from your Android phone (not just texts) to appear on the MBUX screen?
What do you mean it is not designed for Android Auto? It works over bluetooth, and I got my Android smartphone using both Android Auto (via the USB cable) and having the bluetooth connected also to the car, and then both Android Auto works as well as Notification Pro (the messages then show up in your SMS list on the car display).

=> If you want to give it another try, FIRST pair your phone via bluetooth to your car (do not connect the phone via cable yet!), and see it you can make phone calls, etc, then config the notification forwarder pro app, and see if messages get through, if that all works, connect the phone via cable to your car and config Android Auto. Hope that works for you!

Last edited by HAWKiS63; 03-28-2021 at 08:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
donarizon (03-28-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 809 Likes on 641 Posts
Tried that several times and with different settings. It still didn't work not even with SMS messages. I defaulted back to the original Samsung app and SMS alerts resumed.
Old 03-28-2021, 05:30 PM

E450 Coupe
I think my issue relates to the "config" of the Notification Forwarder Pro app. It's on my phone and gets my text messages. But my emails don't come into the app and I've gone into settings multiple times and can't figure out how to make that happen.
Old 03-28-2021, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 809 Likes on 641 Posts
I tried all combinations of setting and none of them worked. If the app won't do email, I don't need it because COMAND handles SMS messages quite well.
Old 03-28-2021, 05:57 PM

E450 Coupe
I've now got the app showing up on the car screen. So it's connected to Android Auto and does show my text messages. Just can't figure out how to funnel my email notifications into the app in addition to the texts.
Old 03-29-2021, 03:52 AM

S63 AMG Cabrio
Pity it does not work flawlessly..........you of course Whitelisted Email (and for example facebook, whatsapp, etc) in the NFPro app? For testing you can Whitelist ALL apps, but you got every popup on your cars screen, so when it works, better limit it to a few important apps.

I got it working on several Sony Xperia's with Android 8, 9, 10 and 11 (use the app already for years, on several cars with COMAND NTG 5*1, 5*2, 5*5 (current car) and MBUX 6 (this was a loaner from the dealer)).
Old 03-29-2021, 04:14 PM

E450 Coupe
Finally figured out how to get it to work ... hadn't configured the app properly. It's added some nice functionality to my MBUX system. Thanks so much, HAWKiS63!
HAWKiS63 (03-30-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 12:52 PM

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
E300 4matic
So will this just work over BT or do you also have to have car play/AA running also? I dont usually plug my phone in so just curious if its worth setting this up?

thanks
Old 03-30-2021, 12:54 PM

E450 Coupe
Phone has to be plugged in for it to work on Android Auto.
Old 03-30-2021, 01:01 PM

E300 4matic
Right, but if I dont use AA, will I be able to get email thru command the same way I get my SMS using this app? Or does this ONLY work when using AA so therefore plug it in and use this app?

Hope that makes sense.
Old 03-30-2021, 01:08 PM

E450 Coupe
Your question is confusing to me so I'll defer to HAWKiS63 as he's the expert who suggested the app.
Old 03-30-2021, 01:10 PM

E300 4matic
Sorry. Just trying to find out if using the Notification forwarder app will allow me to get more than text msgs thru the normal command system. Or is it only possible thru andriod auto.
Old 03-30-2021, 05:07 PM

E300 4matic
OK so I now know...after a minute in my car my watch buzzed to let me know i got a notification. I looked on the command screen and the SMS icon was lit up with the notice of 1 new message. I opened it and it was an email instead of a text. So I didnt need to use AA in order to get my phone to send all whitelisted app notifications.

Pretty cool. Thanks
HAWKiS63 (04-02-2021)
Old 04-02-2021, 05:36 AM

S63 AMG Cabrio
Exclamation

Originally Posted by sabre3
OK so I now know...after a minute in my car my watch buzzed to let me know i got a notification. I looked on the command screen and the SMS icon was lit up with the notice of 1 new message. I opened it and it was an email instead of a text. So I didnt need to use AA in order to get my phone to send all whitelisted app notifications.
Pretty cool. Thanks
That is exactly how this NFPro app should work. You can get ANY phone app notification get through to your COMAND system, but you have to whitelist it in the NFPro app to do that. You can whitelist all, but then you get crazy with all these messages appearing, so I only selected SMS, email, whatsapp, telegram and a few others.
Only limitation is number of characters, but most normal emails get through.

Extra bonus: the COMAND system can then speak out the message to you by voice (like SMS), so you don't have to look at the screen anymore!
Old 04-02-2021, 07:53 AM

E300 4matic
Originally Posted by HAWKiS63
That is exactly how this NFPro app should work. You can get ANY phone app notification get through to your COMAND system, but you have to whitelist it in the NFPro app to do that. You can whitelist all, but then you get crazy with all these messages appearing, so I only selected SMS, email, whatsapp, telegram and a few others.
Only limitation is number of characters, but most normal emails get through.

Extra bonus: the COMAND system can then speak out the message to you by voice (like SMS), so you don't have to look at the screen anymore!
The downside is now NFPro becomes my default SMS app on my phone. That has been fine so far but we will see. Now I will filter out some of the whitelisted apps because I really don't need all my email in my car, mainly work only. Currently 4 accts are going to my MB and I probably only need 1, maybe 2.
So far so good. though.