E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Map Updates thru meMercedes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2022, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 233 Likes on 201 Posts
2021 c300 Cab. Arrived 7/28/21 . 24 GLE 450e.
Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg
It takes forever with the over the air map updates, mines been working at it the past 2 weeks of driving, I'm up to 98 percent now but it's been stuck on 98 percent for days. Thats just for the Southeastern usa updates too. I guess a lot of data.
I’m also in Florida. That last 2% takes forever. I’ve had 2 downloads since I got to Florida. Obviously it does not restart the install every time you start the car. I kept checking. That last 2% lasted at least 4 hours of driving time. Including 1hour trips. I suspect a lot goes on at 98%
Old 01-17-2022, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 233 Likes on 201 Posts
2021 c300 Cab. Arrived 7/28/21 . 24 GLE 450e.
Originally Posted by superswiss
Something wrong with yours or you are not driving enough. I think it restarts the install every time you park. Mine usually takes 2 days at most, depending on how much I'm driving. The download is one thing, but if you are at 98% then it's hung on the install, not the download. Install of the entire USA, Canada and Mexico takes about 30 minutes in one session (I have waited for it while sitting in the car at times), so a single region is done in about 10 minutes, once it has finished downloading. You may wanna try to reset the unit.
Don’t reset the unit. It’s operating as normal. As I said, mine was at 98% for days. Then just like that it was done.
Old 01-22-2022, 05:27 AM

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts
S63 AMG Cabrio
Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg
It takes forever with the over the air map updates, mines been working at it the past 2 weeks of driving, I'm up to 98 percent now but it's been stuck on 98 percent for days. Thats just for the Southeastern usa updates too. I guess a lot of data.
Hmmmm, annoying. I almost always use a SD card/USB stick for the update, becuase that is much faster and more reliable. Use your computer and via the ME portal and MB download manager, you can save it on a externa medium. You could try to do that also for the last few % (it will find the update on the SD/USB, and say if it is possible to use it or not).
Old 01-24-2022, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 669 Likes on 525 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
Thanks Hawk, the update finally went through today. Good thing as my Mercedes app expires the end of January and I don't plan on renewing it after the first 3 years of having it.
The following users liked this post:
HAWKiS63 (01-27-2022)
Old 02-18-2022, 03:08 PM

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts
2023 (X254) GLC300 RWD White
Originally Posted by HAWKiS63
Hmmmm, annoying. I almost always use a SD card/USB stick for the update, becuase that is much faster and more reliable. Use your computer and via the ME portal and MB download manager, you can save it on a externa medium. You could try to do that also for the last few % (it will find the update on the SD/USB, and say if it is possible to use it or not).
There are 2 other reasons you want to use a SDcard for the updates. It only takes a few minutes to update depending on the size. Although my automatic in car download works.
1/ "The voice recognition data of your navigation system can only be updated via a manual map update".
2/ If your SDcard has enough storage you can download ANY or ALL of the 14 regions available.

Last edited by DESAL; 02-18-2022 at 03:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
HAWKiS63 (02-20-2022)
Old 02-18-2022, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 269 Likes on 211 Posts
2019 E300
I just manually downloaded eastern US map, does anybody know if the 2021 map version have the updated highway exit numbers? Thanks.
Old 02-20-2022, 04:09 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2019 E450 4 matic
Originally Posted by HAWKiS63

Perhaps you can help me with an error message I get when trying to download to an external drive. I have formatted my drive to ExFAT and have plenty of space on it. I selected this drive in the download manager, but every time I try to down load I get the error message that data medium is not found. Not sure what I have done wrong.
Old 02-20-2022, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,883 Likes on 2,598 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by 50thae
Perhaps you can help me with an error message I get when trying to download to an external drive. I have formatted my drive to ExFAT and have plenty of space on it. I selected this drive in the download manager, but every time I try to down load I get the error message that data medium is not found. Not sure what I have done wrong.
It has to be partitioned with the correct scheme. See post #8 https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ml#post8302310
Old 02-20-2022, 10:20 PM

2019 E450 4 matic
It has to be partitioned with the correct scheme. See post #8 https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ml#post8302310

Thank you very much!
Old 02-21-2022, 07:18 AM

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts
2023 (X254) GLC300 RWD White
Maybe try a different jump drive and format to NTFS. I have never had any errors using NTFS with my 2017 or 2020 autos . Good luck.
Old 02-21-2022, 03:31 PM

2019 E450 4 matic
I am stumped at this point. Bought two new Sandisk Cruze 32GB. The Sandisk opens with the parent "SanDisk" drive and a "No Name" sub-folder. I tried to reformat the parent Sandisk drive to ExFAT and selected Master Boot Record. Once completed, I end up with the Sandisk drive with the same sub-folder. The sub-folder is properly formatted, but the Sandisk parent drive remains Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and Master Boot Record. When I try to download a map update it tells me that I do not have permission to write to the drive. I have tried selecting both drives in Mercedes Me Download Manager. The Sandisk Cruze drive comes from the package as not writable, but reformatting correctly formats the sub-folder that appears to be writable. Not sure what I am doing wrong or not doing. NTFS does not appear in the formatting choices.
Old 02-21-2022, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
I am stumped at this point. Bought two new Sandisk Cruze 32GB. The Sandisk opens with the parent "SanDisk" drive and a "No Name" sub-folder. I tried to reformat the parent Sandisk drive to ExFAT and selected Master Boot Record. Once completed, I end up with the Sandisk drive with the same sub-folder. The sub-folder is properly formatted, but the Sandisk parent drive remains Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and Master Boot Record. When I try to download a map update it tells me that I do not have permission to write to the drive. I have tried selecting both drives in Mercedes Me Download Manager. The Sandisk Cruze drive comes from the package as not writable, but reformatting correctly formats the sub-folder that appears to be writable. Not sure what I am doing wrong or not doing. NTFS does not appear in the formatting choices.
I'm not entirely following what you are saying. If you repartition the SD card and format it there should not be a folder whatsoever. You should have a single partition formatted to one of the supported formats. NTFS is available as far as I know on MacOS. It's called Windows NT Filesystem. Make sure you delete any existing partition and create a single partition with the MBR scheme and format it. The link below might help. It refers to Windows, but COMAND/MBUX basically has the same requirements. It only reads MBR and only the first partition.

https://kb.paragon-software.com/article/137
Old 02-21-2022, 04:36 PM

2019 E450 4 matic
I'm not entirely following what you are saying. If you repartition the SD card and format it there should not be a folder whatsoever. You should have a single partition formatted to one of the supported formats. NTFS is available as far as I know on MacOS. It's called Windows NT Filesystem. Make sure you delete any existing partition and create a single partition with the MBR scheme and format it. The link below might help. It refers to Windows, but COMAND/MBUX basically has the same requirements. It only reads MBR and only the first partition.

https://kb.paragon-software.com/article/137
When I install the Sandisk and selected it on disk utility and select erase and format it properly, I end up with the Sandisk and a subfolder that it properly formatted. Every time I reformat the Sandisk, I end up with the properly formatted subfolder under the parent Sandisk, which retains its' original format. Does this make sense?

Old 02-21-2022, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
When I install the Sandisk and selected it on disk utility and select erase and format it properly, I end up with the Sandisk and a subfolder that it properly formatted. Every time I reformat the Sandisk, I end up with the properly formatted subfolder under the parent Sandisk, which retains its' original format. Does this make sense?
No, not really. As I said, there should be no folders. Folders is a concept of a file system. At the partition level there are no folders. Maybe you can post some screenshots. Once the SD card is formatted it should come up empty in Finder. There should be no folders.
Old 02-21-2022, 04:46 PM

2019 E450 4 matic

As you see here, I select the SanDisk and select the proper format. Once I hit erase, the original Sandisk remains, but I have a subfolder called Untitled.
Old 02-21-2022, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS

As you see here, I select the SanDisk and select the proper format. Once I hit erase, the original Sandisk remains, but I have a subfolder called Untitled.
That's your unallocated space. You need to turn that into a partition and format it. Once you did that it should come up in Finder as a disk you can read/write from/to.
Old 02-21-2022, 04:56 PM

2019 E450 4 matic
How do i partition it? The partition button is not selectable. I guess I don't know what I am doing.
Old 02-21-2022, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
How do i partition it? The partition button is not selectable. I guess I don't know what I am doing.
Not entirely sure how you got there, and I'm not a regular Mac user, but when you click Erase you provide a name and select the format. Select ExFAT, and then click Erase. After that you should have a volume with the name you provided and formatted as ExFAT. This is what it looks like on my MacBook Air running High Sierra.

Old 02-21-2022, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Also, you can switch views. You are in the all devices view that shows more details. If I do that, then it looks like this. But it's the same steps, but in addition it lets you specify the partition scheme.

Old 02-21-2022, 06:19 PM

2019 E450 4 matic
No, not really. As I said, there should be no folders. Folders is a concept of a file system. At the partition level there are no folders. Maybe you can post some screenshots. Once the SD card is formatted it should come up empty in Finder. There should be no folders.

Your last post gave me an idea. I tried the whole process on my MacBook Air and it worked flawlessly. My desktop is running Monterey 12.2.1 and it refused to get rid of the parent Sandisk name in disk utility. That was why I could never get it to work. The Mercedes downloader would go directly to the Sandisk parent name and it was write protected. I tried everything, but this new OS was not getting rid of the sandisk stuff.

Anyway, it is working on my laptop and is downloading as I type. Thank you for your help and patience!!!
Old 02-21-2022, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Your last post gave me an idea. I tried the whole process on my MacBook Air and it worked flawlessly. My desktop is running Monterey 12.2.1 and it refused to get rid of the parent Sandisk name in disk utility. That was why I could never get it to work. The Mercedes downloader would go directly to the Sandisk parent name and it was write protected. I tried everything, but this new OS was not getting rid of the sandisk stuff.

Anyway, it is working on my laptop and is downloading as I type. Thank you for your help and patience!!!
Glad it's working. Sounds like they broke something in Monterey.
Old 02-22-2022, 11:01 AM

2019 E450 4 matic
Glad it's working. Sounds like they broke something in Monterey.

I wanted to follow up in case this problem happens to someone else. After checking the Apple forums I discovered this is a known issue for OS Monterey. It seems the only workaround right now is to reformat on a different OS system. I can only assume that Apple will fix this glitch in a future update. Thanks again to superswiss for the help!
Old 03-21-2022, 09:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 269 Likes on 211 Posts
2019 E300
Originally Posted by The G Man
I just manually downloaded eastern US map, does anybody know if the 2021 map version have the updated highway exit numbers? Thanks.
To answer my own question; I took my car out on a long trip yesterday and yes, the newest map update does have the new highway exit numbers in it.
Old 12-19-2022, 02:09 AM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
E63amg
Originally Posted by John Dodge
Thank you for your comments! I was successful in updating my E450 with the 2020 (V20.0) updates for USA Western, Central, Southern, and Great Lakes. I agree automatic updates are easier but only region you drive in - Central for me - are updated automatically. I plan to do some traveling so manual updating for the 48 states made more sense for me.

Observations: Used a laptop running Windows 10. Used a 64GB flash drive (32 GB would do) that is formatted as ExFAT. This is important; a FAT formatted drive was not acceptable to the Download Manager. My internet speed over WiFi was 72 Mbps download and 64 Mbps upload. Downloading all the above regions took just about an hour. The Download Manager clearly displays the progress as you wait (see attached). The download used 16.2 GB of the flash drive.

Uploading into the E450 was very straightforward. The flash drive is inserted into the USB port and the Media option recognizes the updates (see attached). It took about 23 minutes to upload the updates into the E450. A clear message is displayed that the upload is successful and a Restart System is required.

Upload from M-B Download Manager.

Upload into M-B E450
You can set it on auto update on the car, then log in to your mercedes me account on browser, and change your region to whichever location you want to download the latest maps for.

Once you change the region, it will update that selected region to most recent version, which seems to be V 23 right now for north america (2022 update).

Traveling across the northern border to Canada soon, so I just finished downloading maps for Canada.
Old 01-17-2024, 12:33 PM

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts
'19 E300 w/ activated Multibeam
Just got an email this morning telling me that a new map update is available, it is 2023 (V26.0) if anyone wanted to know the latest version. Previous version was 2023 (V25.0), not sure why they didn't change it to 2024, perhaps they may come out with another update later in the year.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Map Updates thru meMercedes