HELP !!! DID THEY SCAM ME?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2021, 02:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes E350e W213
HELP !!! DID THEY SCAM ME?

Hi,

I went Yesterday for Engine diagnostic in my local Mercedes Benz Brentford in London because I had the orange engine light constantly ON on my dashboard when driving or when stopped with the ignition on. I have Mercedes Benz E350e plug in hybrid petrol W213 saloon from 2017.
They have charged me £120 and the bill was for more than £2200. What they said was that the ECO the Purge line and Loom needs to be replaced totally because oil has been going into the ECU and loom cable and that the Labour cost only will cost 1700 from all these 2200 and thats why is so costly. 8 hours they said they will need to lift up the engine and change the loom which goes around the engine. They said this didn't happen from day to night if not has been happening from a longtime, but if my car was serviced every 6 months why this issue was not detected earlier and why the light came ON only few days ago? I have started to be suspicious. Off course I didn't accept because I think is ridiculous price.

From other side before I went to them I have investigated in Google, Mercedes and forums and etc...about the Engine light and there were like 5 common problems were are mentioned massivly everywhere: loose gas cap, catalytic converter, oxygen sensor, sparks plug, mass airflow sensor.
So I am asking myself, did they have provoken the repair just to make more money from me???

Just to let you know that I have been driving just from work to home in London for 4 days before I could go for the appointment as they were busy and the car didn't make any other secondary issues or any extra vibration or any sort of symptoms of been broken and causing any trouble.
So please give me your opinion to see if I have been scammed.

The reason of my suspicious is also because after leaving Mercedes I have realised that these incompetent people maybe have broken my sensor for the Sat Nav and now it doesn't work, the red arrow shows that the car location is still there. See my other post here looking for help with opinions: https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ays-stuck.html

Last edited by Atanas Georgiev; 03-27-2021 at 03:03 AM.
Old 03-27-2021, 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,008 Likes on 675 Posts
'11 E350, '11 E550, '98 M3, '95 E320
Get a second opinion from a different shop... the check engine light can come on for hundreds of reasons. So your top 5 google search is totally irrelevant.

I know on the W212 an engine harness replacement is a big job, in the thousands. The W212 suffered from oil wicking up the harness and fouling the ECU, solution was "pigtails" to prevent oil migration. On cars already affected, they required a new harness and possibly ECU. As far as detecting it, unless its a common issue on the W213, you cannot see the oil traveling inside the harness. So it not a problem, until a secondary problem presents itself and the oil is discovered.
Old 03-27-2021, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes E350e W213
Thank you.