E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Disappearing Features

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2021, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 809 Likes on 641 Posts
Tracking my vehicle by MB is OK, if they actually do it. They are not an unknown party. Whereas, WAZE tracking can be by anyone; thus an unknown party.
The following users liked this post:
CarFan1 (06-10-2021)
Old 06-08-2021, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 235 Likes on 203 Posts
2021 c300 Cab. Arrived 7/28/21 . 24 GLE 450e.
Originally Posted by ua549
I have never used any Apple products nor do I wish to start.
I do not use any Google products - Chrome, Search or Google's Android. I compile my own Android version and use the RedPhone app for calls.
I do not provide personally identifiable information to others except on a need to know basis.

The reasons for the above exclusions revolve around personal privacy and security. Both Apple and Google have demonstrated their lack of concern about securing personal information and its use. They surreptitiously track everything one does on the internet then distributes that information to anyone who is willing to pay.

FYI a better search engine from a company that does not collect personal information nor does it retain a search history or track its users is DuckDuckGo. My browser is TOR.
I personally think you are a little paranoid. Apple sells hardware. Google sells advertising. They are not the same. As a matter of fact Google and Facebook and a few others are upset with Apple because Apple is giving more options to not be tracked. I’m buying a new Mercedes. It includes traffic for 3 years. I don’t understand a web browser in a car. Most people have smartphones and use them to locate services. Since you have the capability to compile your own non tracking software, more power to you. The fact is there are cameras everywhere. Unless you are wearing a hood and a full face mask. If someone wants to know where you are, they can probably find out.
The following users liked this post:
JTK44 (06-08-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 07:54 AM

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Mercedes Benz e450 Wagon / Porsche 911 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by ua549
Tracking my vehicle by MB is OK, if they actually do it. They are not an unknown party. Whereas, WAZE tracking can be by anyone; thus an unknown party.
Could you explain how Waze is unknown? They are Google. Doesn't that make the known? I guess I'm just a bit confused by your distinction.
Old 06-09-2021, 08:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 809 Likes on 641 Posts
Originally Posted by nycebo
Could you explain how Waze is unknown? They are Google. Doesn't that make the known? I guess I'm just a bit confused by your distinction.
WAZE broadcasts your location to others around you. How else do you think they provide you with traffic info about the vehicle next to you?

Being seen on street cams contains neither my identity nor my personal information.

I do not buy or use Apple hardware due to the severe restrictions on what and where software and apps can be obtained and used. Would you buy a Windows PC if the only software you could use had to be purchased from the Microsoft store? I didn't think so.

Last edited by ua549; 06-09-2021 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-09-2021, 08:13 PM

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Mercedes Benz e450 Wagon / Porsche 911 Cabriolet
Uh, waze allows you to disable it in privacy setting. It's called Go Invisible. Alternatively, you could use Google Maps, no? Or download Here Maps (Mercedes NAV system that you have in your car).

Also, you could create a fake account.

Anyway, you do you. It seems you've found some reasonable alternatives.