E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Disappearing Features

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2021, 08:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 809 Likes on 641 Posts
Disappearing Features

I've been a loyal Mercedes-Benz customer since the 1960's. Here are two of the reasons I'm considering NOT purchasing another one:

A spare tire and tool kit is neither included nor is there a place for storage. I purchased the tire and tools but storage is still an issue on market days because the spare takes up a third of the trunk. After an RFT failure stranded me on the side of a 2 lane road for many hours waiting for a flat bed truck, I consider a spare tire an essential piece of safety equipment.

Capabilities and features that I used daily were part of my purchase were summarily dropped and/or disabled without notice such as web browser, traffic information and traffic cameras. These tools are essential for navigation in metro areas. I would not have purchased a W213 without them.

I know that our membership owns a wide variety of vehicles so I'm asking "Do other brands arbitrarily disable features or have similar failings?"

My '18 E300 warranty expires in August so I'm starting my research for a MY2022 replacement - probably a midsize SUV.
The following users liked this post:
Streamliner (06-12-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 298 Likes on 226 Posts
E 300 AMG-Line diesel-Hybrid - 2021
I hear you;

For instance, I don't understand why they took away the ability to send several addresses to the car to create a list.
when i just got the car i was able to plan a route at home and send all the waypoints & stops to the vehicle.

over the course of 4 years they only took away (software) features, never adding.

Still getting a new one next month though!

Old 06-07-2021, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 298 Posts
EQ
I agree. My 18 E coupe will likely be my last Mercedes-Benz. My next car will be electric and MB would have to wow me to bring me back into the fold.
Old 06-07-2021, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,753 Likes on 1,123 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by ua549
I've been a loyal Mercedes-Benz customer since the 1960's. Here are two of the reasons I'm considering NOT purchasing another one:

A spare tire and tool kit is neither included nor is there a place for storage. I purchased the tire and tools but storage is still an issue on market days because the spare takes up a third of the trunk. After an RFT failure stranded me on the side of a 2 lane road for many hours waiting for a flat bed truck, I consider a spare tire an essential piece of safety equipment.
A Run-Flat tire that fails is worse than no spare at all. I agree spare tires are useful to have. But to be quite honest, they are in fact so seldom used, the space and weight lugging them around is hardly worth it. I've driven more than 50 years now, and on the sole occassion I needed a spare it certainly was helpful. But otherwise, I haven't needed one for decades.

Capabilities and features that I used daily were part of my purchase were summarily dropped and/or disabled without notice such as web browser, traffic information and traffic cameras. These tools are essential for navigation in metro areas. I would not have purchased a W213 without them.
Not to argue, but do tell... How did you ever survive in your 1960's Benzes without these electronic niceties? (1970s, '80s, and '90s, as well). I haven't shopped for a road atlas recently, but I imagine they are still available should my NAV system and smartphone fail.

Competition is a wonderful thing... The more that MB drops features, there are other brands more than willing to offer the options in their cars. For me, that would be the reason to leave MB for another brand.

I hate to say it, but It appears to me that Mercedes-Benz is more interesting in producing "entry-level" A and B series cars and SUVs where the bells and whistles are less expected. It might work in Amercia, where the domestic manufacturers have abandoned the unibody sedan marketplace. Then again it might not work

The following 2 users liked this post by DFWdude:
hyperion667 (06-08-2021), Kejad (06-14-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You are fortunate to not need a spare. I've been stranded overnight 50 miles from the nearest service station near the Everglades. For me a spare tire is a must have along with spare fuel. That being said, I have a road car I use if I'm leaving the metro area. Back in the day metro traffic was only about 10% of what it is now. Back then I used to drive from South St. Petersburg to the Dunedin Municipal Marina in less than 20 minutes each day after work. That drive is now 90 minutes if there are no traffic issues. The point of the nav system is not providing a static route such as from a road atlas, but real time rerouting to avoid traffic issues. Using a cell phone in a vehicle that is not hands free is illegal in Florida. I leave mine in my pocket.
Streamliner (06-12-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 235 Likes on 203 Posts
2021 c300 Cab. Arrived 7/28/21 . 24 GLE 450e.
You are fortunate to not need a spare. I've been stranded overnight 50 miles from the nearest service station near the Everglades. For me a spare tire is a must have along with spare fuel. That being said, I have a road car I use if I'm leaving the metro area. Back in the day metro traffic was only about 10% of what it is now. Back then I used to drive from South St. Petersburg to the Dunedin Municipal Marina in less than 20 minutes each day after work. That drive is now 90 minutes if there are no traffic issues. The point of the nav system is not providing a static route such as from a road atlas, but real time rerouting to avoid traffic issues. Using a cell phone in a vehicle that is not hands free is illegal in Florida. I leave mine in my pocket.
Don’t understand the need for a web browser in a car. Nav systems usually include traffic. I pity anyone who needs to take 19 in Florida.
Old 06-08-2021, 07:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I use the web browser to find businesses such as restaurants and services. The POI features in navigation are quite lacking. MB has eliminated traffic from the nav system and it no longer reroutes to avoid traffic issues. I travel on US 19 every day. The speed limit is 55 mph but the flow of traffic is closer to 20 mph except between 20:00 and 05:00 when the crazies are leaving the bars. Often it is faster to go an extra 5 miles to avoid US 19.

Trending Topics

Old 06-08-2021, 07:53 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,405 Likes on 2,848 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by Elvisfan0108
Don’t understand the need for a web browser in a car. Nav systems usually include traffic. I pity anyone who needs to take 19 in Florida.
Hah! I pity anyone addicted to their computer phone in the first place!
Old 06-08-2021, 08:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Still it's weird they delete these services that came with the car.
what if they showed up and took out the cruise control...
CarFan1 (06-10-2021)
Old 06-08-2021, 08:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 594 Likes on 450 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster

I know that our membership owns a wide variety of vehicles so I'm asking "Do other brands arbitrarily disable features or have similar failings?"

My '18 E300 warranty expires in August so I'm starting my research for a MY2022 replacement - probably a midsize SUV.
My 2016 E350 did not have a spare tire but came with run flats. Other than BMW, almost al high end cars come with either RF or a cannister and not RF. Many SUV's have also eliminated the spare tire. This is nothing new. The trend is clear.

As to Navigation: try WAZE which I always use: it is far superior to the Mercedes navigation system and has all the features you want.

Frankly I am surprised car manufacturers still offer navigation: Waze and Google maps are so superior. Reminds me of 30 years ago when car manufacturers charged several thousands of dollars to have cell phones installed in cars! Like installed cell phones, built in navigations systems are an overpriced relic of the past!
nycebo (06-08-2021)
Old 06-08-2021, 08:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Originally Posted by teksurv
I agree. My 18 E coupe will likely be my last Mercedes-Benz. My next car will be electric and MB would have to wow me to bring me back into the fold.
I have driven the Tesla Model S, X, 3 and Y: none of them compare to the ride of my E450. Further the seats on the 3 and Y have fixed head rests which for me are too far forward - I sit up straight.

I had ordered a First Edition Ford Mustang but canceled as the monthly payments on the Ford Red Carpet lease were more than my Mercedes E450!

If you do not live on the West Coast, except for Tesla, the charging infrastructure is not yet robust enough and you BEV will be confined to local driving.

I too want an EV, but the reality is that the charging infrastructure is still several years away.
Old 06-08-2021, 08:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I use the web browser to find businesses such as restaurants and services. The POI features in navigation are quite lacking. MB has eliminated traffic from the nav system and it no longer reroutes to avoid traffic issues. I travel on US 19 every day. The speed limit is 55 mph but the flow of traffic is closer to 20 mph except between 20:00 and 05:00 when the crazies are leaving the bars. Often it is faster to go an extra 5 miles to avoid US 19.

WAZE!!!
Old 06-08-2021, 08:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,487 Likes on 982 Posts
No more MB:(
Originally Posted by JTK44
My 2016 E350 did not have a spare tire but came with run flats. Other than BMW, almost al high end cars come with either RF or a cannister and not RF. Many SUV's have also eliminated the spare tire. This is nothing new. The trend is clear.
I don't think the OP is saying RF's are something new, he's owned MB since the 60's so give him that. Thanks for clarifying the "trend is clear."
Old 06-08-2021, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,487 Likes on 982 Posts
No more MB:(

I agree on the RFT's, the entire thing infuriates me. It's an absolute safety feature. I got stranded twice a couple hundred miles from the dealer (could not source a tire nearby) and both times had to have the car towed along with sourcing transportation the second time back to civilization. They should and at least offer the option. Not very efficient.

Last edited by places; 06-08-2021 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-08-2021, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Unfortunately I get a flat once or twice a year. That is an ongoing issue with city driving where many intersections are littered with debris from collisions.

As far as WAZE or other cell phone based navigation, I tried them and did not like them.
I stated my issues with WAZE on a 2019 post. They are:
It does not work with the HUD.
  • The map display is too small.
  • WAZE requires an account and login.
  • I do not wish have my movements tracked by unknown parties.
  • WAZE is a Google product.
Old 06-08-2021, 10:34 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Unfortunately I get a flat once or twice a year. That is an ongoing issue with city driving where many intersections are littered with debris from collisions.

As far as WAZE or other cell phone based navigation, I tried them and did not like them.
Bill the city
Old 06-08-2021, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

you can search businesses with google maps and then send them to your car via the ME app

Last edited by Egonvdv; 06-08-2021 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-08-2021, 10:49 AM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
S213 2020 E450 4Matic CDN Spec 07/19 build
As to Navigation: try WAZE which I always use: it is far superior to the Mercedes navigation system and has all the features you want.
I'd think about using waze if it's interface wasn't so cartoonish. Nothing says "rely on me" like something practically rendered using crayons and glitter.
Old 06-08-2021, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Map Display:

IF you use Apple Car Play the WAZE display takes up the entire screen and it is the same size if not bigger than the Mercedes Navigation.

Waze requires an account and login:

Yes. That is not a problem for me and millions of other WAZE users.

I do not wish have my movements tracked by unknown parties.

That is not a problem for me. That is how WAZE gives you real time updates as to traffic conditions.

When millions of people are on WAZE you are a tree lost in a forest. You have complete anonymity.

WAZE is a Google product.

Is that bad????

I use Google Chrome and I believe 80% of people using the internet do as well.
Old 06-08-2021, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 716 Likes on 533 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
It is called De-Contenting.
All manufacturers do it.
First few years tend to have the most and then as they go thru to keep MSRP reasonable they start deleting stuff and/or making it unavailable anymore.

They remove simple things to complex things... what they try to do is delete things that do not cause them to change all the marketing material... and TV commercials..

Old 06-08-2021, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ygmn
It is called De-Contenting.
All manufacturers do it.
First few years tend to have the most and then as they go thru to keep MSRP reasonable they start deleting stuff and/or making it unavailable anymore.

They remove simple things to complex things... what they try to do is delete things that do not cause them to change all the marketing material... and TV commercials..

I fully understand the concept of "de-contenting" but I do no think it apples in this instance.

My 2019 E450 listed out for just over $70,000. A 2021 E450 with the same exact features list out for less: this is because some of the features I paid extra for, full digital dashboard and certain safety features are now standard.
Old 06-08-2021, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Map Display:

IF you use Apple Car Play the WAZE display takes up the entire screen and it is the same size if not bigger than the Mercedes Navigation.

Waze requires an account and login:

Yes. That is not a problem for me and millions of other WAZE users.

That is not a problem for me. That is how WAZE gives you real time updates as to traffic conditions.

When millions of people are on WAZE you are a tree lost in a forest. You have complete anonymity.

WAZE is a Google product.

Is that bad????

I use Google Chrome and I believe 80% of people using the internet do as well.
I have never used any Apple products nor do I wish to start.
I do not use any Google products - Chrome, Search or Google's Android. I compile my own Android version and use the RedPhone app for calls.
I do not provide personally identifiable information to others except on a need to know basis.

The reasons for the above exclusions revolve around personal privacy and security. Both Apple and Google have demonstrated their lack of concern about securing personal information and its use. They surreptitiously track everything one does on the internet then distributes that information to anyone who is willing to pay.

FYI a better search engine from a company that does not collect personal information nor does it retain a search history or track its users is DuckDuckGo. My browser is TOR.
CarFan1 (06-10-2021)
Old 06-08-2021, 01:15 PM

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts
W213 220d from 2016
I have never used any Apple products nor do I wish to start.
I do not use any Google products - Chrome, Search or Google's Android. I compile my own Android version and use the RedPhone app for calls.
I do not provide personally identifiable information to others except on a need to know basis.

The reasons for the above exclusions revolve around personal privacy and security. Both Apple and Google have demonstrated their lack of concern about securing personal information and its use. They surreptitiously track everything one does on the internet then distributes that information to anyone who is willing to pay.

FYI a better search engine from a company that does not collect personal information nor does it retain a search history or track its users is DuckDuckGo. My browser is TOR.
Forget Mercedes, you need a bike made from wood and a tinfoil hat
The following 3 users liked this post by JakeW213:
CORamos (06-08-2021), JTK44 (06-08-2021), TimInCA (06-09-2021)
Old 06-08-2021, 03:24 PM

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Mercedes Benz e450 Wagon / Porsche 911 Cabriolet
I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that all of our cars are tracked by Mercedes, which now uses Here Maps for their NAV and traffic functionality. Sadly, whether one likes it or not, we are all a part of the machine.
JTK44 (06-08-2021)
Old 06-08-2021, 03:32 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by nycebo
I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that all of our cars are tracked by Mercedes, which now uses Here Maps for their NAV and traffic functionality. Sadly, whether one likes it or not, we are all a part of the machine.
Especially if you have a cell phone and are on FB, IG or any of the other 'my fake life' sites

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Disappearing Features