E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

E400 Coupe - Traction Issues / Rear Tire Wear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2021, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E400 coupe
Exclamation E400 Coupe - Traction Issues / Rear Tire Wear

I have a 2016 E400 Coupe - bought used with only 10k miles. Had HORRIBLE traction issues and, thanks to a board member, looked at tire dates and bought new tires. Drove like a dream for about 4k miles. Traction problems presented again - but only during rain / wet roads. It felt like the rear end wants to trade places with the front end - very little control on wet pavement / blacktop. Sent the car to the dealership - their pronouncement is that the wear on the rear tires is 2/32nds of an inch and it's a known problem with the E400 Coupes. These tires only have roughly 6k miles on them! The fronts are fine (Michelin). Anyone else ever heard of this problem or think something else is going on? Any and all input is greatly appreciated!
Old 06-08-2021, 01:09 PM

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts
W213 220d from 2016
Originally Posted by Highonsugar
I have a 2016 E400 Coupe - bought used with only 10k miles. Had HORRIBLE traction issues and, thanks to a board member, looked at tire dates and bought new tires. Drove like a dream for about 4k miles. Traction problems presented again - but only during rain / wet roads. It felt like the rear end wants to trade places with the front end - very little control on wet pavement / blacktop. Sent the car to the dealership - their pronouncement is that the wear on the rear tires is 2/32nds of an inch and it's a known problem with the E400 Coupes. These tires only have roughly 6k miles on them! The fronts are fine (Michelin). Anyone else ever heard of this problem or think something else is going on? Any and all input is greatly appreciated!
Since 2/32nds is equal to 1/16nds I’ll take that you made a typo and mean 2/3rds of an inch which is quite alot

If your rears wear out faster than your fronts its either wrong alignment or your driving:-)

I gather that you don’t have 4Matic - Do you make wheelspin often?

rgds Jake
The following users liked this post:
Highonsugar (06-08-2021)
Old 06-08-2021, 01:29 PM

E400 coupe
LOL.....I copied the text from the dealership. I'm going to go with 2/3rds - sorry, didn't click when I read it. No to the 4-matic. Do I spin the tires often, no.....drive fast, yes. So maybe I need to find another dealership to look at it?! Thanks for the input!
Old 06-08-2021, 01:46 PM

E400 coupe
Originally Posted by JakeW213
Since 2/32nds is equal to 1/16nds I’ll take that you made a typo and mean 2/3rds of an inch which is quite alot

If your rears wear out faster than your fronts its either wrong alignment or your driving:-)

I gather that you don’t have 4Matic - Do you make wheelspin often?

rgds Jake
I confirmed - it is 2/32". Legally worn out tires. Geez.
"The final 2/32" of a tire's tread depth isn't part of the equation when it comes to calculating tread depth percentages because the tire is already legally worn out with just 2/32" of remaining tread depth."
Old 06-08-2021, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 825 Likes on 654 Posts
I replace tires when tread depth reached 4/32".

@JakeW213 Tread depth in the US is always expressed in 32nd of an inch. Most new all season tires start with 10/32".
Highonsugar (06-08-2021)
Old 06-08-2021, 02:06 PM

E400 coupe
Originally Posted by ua549
I replace tires when tread depth reached 4/32".

@JakeW213 Tread depth in the US is always expressed in 32nd of an inch. Most new all season tires start with 10/32".
Yeah, I had to go Google it. Learn something new every day. I don't think this is a "common problem with E400 Coupes" either. Full set of tires (all season Michelin) brand new in February with only roughly 6k miles on them.
Old 06-08-2021, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I've had many issues with Michelin tires regarding wear. Michelin gave me 2 sets of tires. They had a 40k mile guarantee but wore out at 8,000 miles and 10,000 miles. I won't buy them again. I've had excellent results with both Pirelli Cinturato P7 and Continental ProContact.
Old 06-08-2021, 03:07 PM

E400 coupe
I've had many issues with Michelin tires regarding wear. Michelin gave me 2 sets of tires. They had a 40k mile guarantee but wore out at 8,000 miles and 10,000 miles. I won't buy them again. I've had excellent results with both Pirelli Cinturato P7 and Continental ProContact.
So of those two brands, which do you like more? Pirelli or the Continental? I also have Michelins on my Mustang GT and don't like them (on that car) - going with Nitto for my baby.
Old 06-08-2021, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It really depends on use. Pirelli has better handling. Continental has better wear. I have Continental on my Hyundai (occasional town car) and BMW (trip car); Pirelli on my MB (daily driver). Prices are quite similar here - about $250 per tire for 245/45-18 or 245/40-19. I make sure the tires I buy are actually made in Europe and not in the US. Origin is on the sidewall.

Last edited by ua549; 06-08-2021 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-08-2021, 04:52 PM

E400 coupe
It really depends on use. Pirelli has better handling. Continental has better wear. I have Continental on my Hyundai (occasional town car) and BMW (trip car); Pirelli on my MB (daily driver). Prices are quite similar here - about $250 per tire for 245/45-18 or 245/40-19. I make sure the tires I buy are actually made in Europe and not in the US. Origin is on the sidewall.
Interesting! Thanks!
Old 06-08-2021, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,987 Likes on 2,659 Posts
2019 C63CS
The crucial piece of information missing here is whether the tires are worn evenly or if they are worn down to 2/32 only on the inner part for example. If the tires are worn down evenly, then you can file a warranty claim with Michelin, assuming your rear tires are Michelin as well. The warranty information is below. They warranty tread wear for pretty much each of their tires for different mileages, but those assume you have a square setup and properly rotated your tires for even wear front to back. If you can't rotate due to different sizes in the front and rear, then the warranty is only for half the mileage.

https://dgaddcosprod.blob.core.windo...uick-guide.pdf

If the tires are worn unevenly then you need an alignment. When was the last time you had an alignment? RWD cars do go through rear tires quicker than front tires, because the front tires only do the steering, while the rear tires have to do all the forward motion, but 6k miles is very low. I get at least double that in my 500+ HP AMG with occasionally spinning the wheels. In my case the front tires wear quicker, because of the very aggressive camber setting on the front from the factory. I only get about 8k miles out of the front tires. This is with Michelin PS4S summer performance tires and tread wear rating of 300. So you can extrapolate from that. A Michelin with tread wear rating of 600 for example would be expected to last twice as long as a PS4S, but you can't compare tread wear ratings across brands as there is no standard scale.
Highonsugar (06-08-2021)
Old 06-08-2021, 09:58 PM

E400 coupe
Originally Posted by superswiss
The crucial piece of information missing here is whether the tires are worn evenly or if they are worn down to 2/32 only on the inner part for example. If the tires are worn down evenly, then you can file a warranty claim with Michelin, assuming your rear tires are Michelin as well. The warranty information is below. They warranty tread wear for pretty much each of their tires for different mileages, but those assume you have a square setup and properly rotated your tires for even wear front to back. If you can't rotate due to different sizes in the front and rear, then the warranty is only for half the mileage.

https://dgaddcosprod.blob.core.windo...uick-guide.pdf

If the tires are worn unevenly then you need an alignment. When was the last time you had an alignment? RWD cars do go through rear tires quicker than front tires, because the front tires only do the steering, while the rear tires have to do all the forward motion, but 6k miles is very low. I get at least double that in my 500+ HP AMG with occasionally spinning the wheels. In my case the front tires wear quicker, because of the very aggressive camber setting on the front from the factory. I only get about 8k miles out of the front tires. This is with Michelin PS4S summer performance tires and tread wear rating of 300. So you can extrapolate from that. A Michelin with tread wear rating of 600 for example would be expected to last twice as long as a PS4S, but you can't compare tread wear ratings across brands as there is no standard scale.
I'll call them tomorrow and ask about any wear pattern. Staggered size - Michelin on front & back. 500+hp AMG....😍sweet! Would love to see pic!
Old 06-09-2021, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,987 Likes on 2,659 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by Highonsugar
I'll call them tomorrow and ask about any wear pattern. Staggered size - Michelin on front & back. 500+hp AMG....😍sweet! Would love to see pic!
You ask I deliver. From the delivery day in Germany.

Highonsugar (06-09-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 02:50 PM

E400 coupe
Originally Posted by superswiss
You ask I deliver. From the delivery day in Germany.

that's got to be a fun ride!
Old 06-11-2021, 04:03 AM
SPONSOR

Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Keep in mind E400 Coupe a “wheel alignment” is only front and rear Toe (directional) adjustment.

There is no longer Camber and Caster to adjust tire contact angles, spread load more evenly to cater for other than showroom height conditions. Day to day commuting encountering high cambered roads, fitting wide profile tires, altered height through load carrying or lowering, curb knock damage.

We saw the need and have re instated from the 90's full / precise Front and Rear (single wrench) adjustment.

Click spoiler below re E400 front and rear alignment options manufactured. All being bolt on – no mods required.

Spoiler