E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

I am back, long time no see. Bought an E-450 Wagon today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2021, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 600 Likes on 455 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Originally Posted by NorseWagon
Yeah, it is frustrating.
I told the Service Advisor I was the guy who used to write discrepancies in the maintenance log of passenger jets and that I knew
my *****, but he heard no noises and everything was normal in his world: Asked him 5-6 times Did You Hear it Now...? NO.
Finally I gave up,
No sure if I should complain to MB USA or the dealer's Director or Maintenance. (Don't really want to make a big deal out of
relatively minor noise, but I also want a quiet car.)
Perhaps you already tried this: go back to the dealer and go with the SA as you drive the car and point out the noise and/or problems.

In other words, drive the car and duplicate the problem with the SA next to you. I have even heard of people turning on their iPhone to record the noises during the drive with the SA.

Just my $.02.
Old 12-15-2021, 01:18 PM

Received 119 Likes on 77 Posts
2019 E-450 Wagon
you drive the car and point out the noise and/or problems.
This IS what I did: I drove the car and pointed out to him every time I heard the noise.

In other words, drive the car and duplicate the problem with the SA next to you. I have even heard of people turning on their iPhone to record the noises during the drive with the SA.
Did that, except the iPhone part.
Old 12-15-2021, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 600 Likes on 455 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
This IS what I did: I drove the car and pointed out to him every time I heard the noise.

Did that, except the iPhone part.
Sorry I could not help.

Guess your only alternative is a different dealer, SA or an indy shop.
Old 12-15-2021, 01:35 PM

2019 E-450 Wagon
Originally Posted by JTK44
Sorry I could not help.

Guess your only alternative is a different dealer, SA or an indy shop.
Yup, I can do that.
Although the SA suggested I turn the radio up a bit to block out the noise he did not hear.
The following users liked this post:
JTK44 (12-15-2021)
Old 12-15-2021, 01:40 PM

Received 103 Likes on 76 Posts
2021 E450 All Terrain Wagon
Yup, I can do that.
Although the SA suggested I turn the radio up a bit to block out the noise he did not hear.
Poor hearing and a good sense of humor, ay?
The following users liked this post:
JTK44 (12-15-2021)
Old 12-15-2021, 01:42 PM

2019 E-450 Wagon
Originally Posted by Longroof45
Poor hearing and a good sense of humor, ay?
Nah, he was serious, tried to be helpful I guess, but it ticked me off, I was fuming when I dropped him off.
Old 12-15-2021, 01:56 PM

Nah, he was serious, tried to be helpful I guess, but it ticked me off, I was fuming when I dropped him off.
One (but not the only) reason I traded in my two year old Audi wagon for the MB wagon was my frustration with the Audi SA. I do a fair amount of long distance driving and rely heavily on adaptive cruise control. I drove it from Ohio to Florida and back twice and it worked great. Then after a routine service at the dealer, the adaptive cruse control started becoming undependable, freezing in midstream and requiring me to pull over to reboot fairly often. Multiple complaints to the SA and Service Manager, and a few visits to have the system checked, resulted in absolutely nothing, like I was making the whole thing up. The Service Department so soured me on the car that I just said enough and changed to MB. I don't know if these dealers really appreciate how a bad service experience can sour you not only on the car but also on the brand.
Old 12-15-2021, 02:04 PM

2019 E-450 Wagon
One (but not the only) reason I traded in my two year old Audi wagon for the MB wagon was my frustration with the Audi SA. I do a fair amount of long distance driving and rely heavily on adaptive cruise control. I drove it from Ohio to Florida and back twice and it worked great. Then after a routine service at the dealer, the adaptive cruse control started becoming undependable, freezing in midstream and requiring me to pull over to reboot fairly often. Multiple complaints to the SA and Service Manager, and a few visits to have the system checked, resulted in absolutely nothing, like I was making the whole thing up. The Service Department so soured me on the car that I just said enough and changed to MB. I don't know if these dealers really appreciate how a bad service experience can sour you not only on the car but also on the brand.
Sad story, but looks like my situation are going that way right now as well,
Guess I will sleep on it, then find a solution one way or the other.
Old 12-15-2021, 03:05 PM

2019 E-450 Wagon
My original SA was not at work today, got another guy instead.
Wrote this to "my" SA, hopefully he can come up with a solution..

Hi Xxxxx
I didn't see you at the dealer today:
( I had the 11:00 appointment and a loaner car to fix an annoying rattle from the right rear axle, ref Service Bulletin listed below)
Got another service advisor and we went for drive to verify the noice.
This guy did not hear anything wrong. 😳
(There was no speed bumps in the area around the dealer, the noise could still be heard, but not as pronounced)
So, I am not going to drive around with this rattle anymore, how do we proceed from here:
Take you for a drive and find speed bumps? Take the Service Manager for a ride?
What do you suggest?
Thx
Old 12-15-2021, 04:40 PM

My original SA was not at work today, got another guy instead.
Wrote this to "my" SA, hopefully he can come up with a solution..
I'm curious whether the SA got in the backseat when you took him fr a ride?
Old 12-15-2021, 04:43 PM

2019 E-450 Wagon
I'm curious whether the SA got in the backseat when you took him fr a ride?
No, he did not.
I should have insisted, my bad.
Old 12-16-2021, 11:17 AM

Received 111 Likes on 64 Posts
E400 Wagon; 2010 ML350; 08 CLK350 Cabriolet; 69 SL280
NorseWagon
It's amazing how the service at a dealer can sour you on a brand, I really liked Audi's had 4 till I moved here, and the local Audi dealer (66 miles away) is just not customer focused, (nicest term I could think of). Whereas the MB dealer up the road is truly 1 of the best I have encountered.

See that you in Ft. Lauderdale, have you tried another dealer?
Have used the below as a guide:
Mercedes-Benz Dealerships Near 33073 | DealerRater.com
Here's the ratings for local Audi and MB dealer for me

33. Flow Audi 4.1 Stars

Charlottesville, VA | 66.3 miles awayAwful customer service. Had to call multiple times to get...

23. Mercedes-Benz of Charlottesville 4.9 Stars

Charlottesville, VA | 66 miles away AlwaysAlways so patient and helpful with my questions and...

Hope this helps, good luck
Old 12-16-2021, 12:19 PM

2019 E-450 Wagon
Originally Posted by makiii
NorseWagon
It's amazing how the service at a dealer can sour you on a brand, I really liked Audi's had 4 till I moved here, and the local Audi dealer (66 miles away) is just not customer focused, (nicest term I could think of). Whereas the MB dealer up the road is truly 1 of the best I have encountered.

See that you in Ft. Lauderdale, have you tried another dealer?
Have used the below as a guide:
Mercedes-Benz Dealerships Near 33073 | DealerRater.com
Here's the ratings for local Audi and MB dealer for me

33. Flow Audi 4.1 Stars

Charlottesville, VA | 66.3 miles awayAwful customer service. Had to call multiple times to get...

23. Mercedes-Benz of Charlottesville 4.9 Stars

Charlottesville, VA | 66 miles away AlwaysAlways so patient and helpful with my questions and...

Hope this helps, good luck
Thanks for the links Makiii:
My dealer scores a low 4.1 https://www.dealerrater.com/dealer/M...e-review-9303/

Too bad, but they are so darn close to my house that I will stay with them..1.9 miles.
I may have to butt heads with someone or go up the chain to the MB Regional Manager to get the rattle fixed, but it will get
fixed, Being a stubborn Norwegian I don't give up or lay down.

Will probably let this rest until after Christmas, got other stuff to focus on, like maintaining 2 boats and possibly building a new house in the near
future. Also wife, dog and Santa Claus, busy times.

Old 12-16-2021, 03:59 PM

Received 111 Likes on 64 Posts
E400 Wagon; 2010 ML350; 08 CLK350 Cabriolet; 69 SL280
I’d say you have enough to occupy your time.

fyi - the customer service score that dealers pay attention to is their CSI scores (customer satisfaction index)
this score affects the bonus the dealer can earn it also affects the dealers allocation of cars.
so the CSI = $$$$$$

all other surveys are nice to look at but at the end of the day they really don’t effect the dealer.

good luck
Old 12-16-2021, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by makiii
I’d say you have enough to occupy your time.

fyi - the customer service score that dealers pay attention to is their CSI scores (customer satisfaction index)
this score affects the bonus the dealer can earn it also affects the dealers allocation of cars.
so the CSI = $$$$$$

all other surveys are nice to look at but at the end of the day they really don’t effect the dealer.

good luck
That's good information -- thanks!
Old 12-16-2021, 10:58 PM

Received 215 Likes on 161 Posts
2023 GLE450, 2021 E350 / Used to drive: 2019 E300, 2021 + 2020 GLE350, 2019 E450 Wagon(s), 2017 E300
Norse, I am sorry you are having a similar experience that I had with the noise in the right rear - one thing that helped me get the service advisor to hear it was to have him drive it. Believe it or not, the noise was only audible from the left front and left rear seat. The guys at Hendrick tried a bit harder than it sounds like your dealer did - they threw parts at it without even hearing the noise and then did additional things after the heard the noise. Also - they should be using the "chassis ear" to listen for the noise - that also is something the Hendricks guys did. (I felt like they tried really hard - can't fault them - they put in a ton of effort and were nice the entire time...) I didn't have better luck with an independent shop - they seemed afraid to touch anything on a brand new car.
Old 12-18-2021, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Lanzz
Norse, I am sorry you are having a similar experience that I had with the noise in the right rear - one thing that helped me get the service advisor to hear it was to have him drive it. Believe it or not, the noise was only audible from the left front and left rear seat. The guys at Hendrick tried a bit harder than it sounds like your dealer did - they threw parts at it without even hearing the noise and then did additional things after the heard the noise. Also - they should be using the "chassis ear" to listen for the noise - that also is something the Hendricks guys did. (I felt like they tried really hard - can't fault them - they put in a ton of effort and were nice the entire time...) I didn't have better luck with an independent shop - they seemed afraid to touch anything on a brand new car.
Lanzz, I take it that they never did identify the source of your problem? You're just living with it? Regarding the chassis ears, I really didn't even understand how they worked until I just watched a video on them. That could be a difference maker for Norse.
Old 12-18-2021, 02:03 PM

2019 E-450 Wagon
Thx, good idea and yes I will have the SA drive next time.
The noise is probably louder with the rear seats down rather than upright. (I will find a piece of road in advance that will produce the best results,)
Should have done that the first time, but it never occurred to me that the SA would be unable to hear the noise,,
Old 12-18-2021, 02:08 PM

2019 E-450 Wagon
Lanzz, I take it that they never did identify the source of your problem? You're just living with it? Regarding the chassis ears, I really didn't even understand how they worked until I just watched a video on them. That could be a difference maker for Norse.
Never heard of chassis ears, you tube next...
Old 12-18-2021, 02:47 PM

Never heard of chassis ears, you tube next...
I might have heard the term but had no idea how they work. I watched a couple reviewed of some available on Amazon but I don't know why someone would buy them if they're not really into their own mechanical work. I would guess the dealer has pretty good ones available, and the right ears to interpret the noises.
Old 12-20-2021, 09:51 PM

Received 215 Likes on 161 Posts
2023 GLE450, 2021 E350 / Used to drive: 2019 E300, 2021 + 2020 GLE350, 2019 E450 Wagon(s), 2017 E300
Longroof, they never found the source of the noise in my first 2019 wagon - I traded it at a loss for a GLE350. (to be fair, the dealer did help with a few thousand of trade assist money - they really worked hard for me...) After a year with the GLE, I traded it for a different CPO 2019 E450 wagon - this one does not have the noise - or at least not yet. Norse, I found a street with a speed bump right near the dealer that enabled them to reproduce the noise every time - that helped a lot. While it shouldn't take anywhere near this much effort to address the issue, anything you can do to make it easier for them to hear, will ultimately make your life easier.
Old 12-21-2021, 06:24 AM

Thanks Lanzz -- May you stay rattle-free with this E450. Norse, anything new on your front?
Old 12-21-2021, 07:53 AM

2019 E-450 Wagon
Longroof, they never found the source of the noise in my first 2019 wagon - I traded it at a loss for a GLE350. (to be fair, the dealer did help with a few thousand of trade assist money - they really worked hard for me...) After a year with the GLE, I traded it for a different CPO 2019 E450 wagon - this one does not have the noise - or at least not yet. Norse, I found a street with a speed bump right near the dealer that enabled them to reproduce the noise every time - that helped a lot. While it shouldn't take anywhere near this much effort to address the issue, anything you can do to make it easier for them to hear, will ultimately make your life easier.

Thanks, I will do just that: Find nearby speed bumps.

Norse, anything new on your front?
Not yet, there is a shortage of loaner cars and I need wheels the next few days.
Will make an appointment shortly, probably after Christmas.

Old 12-21-2021, 08:59 AM

Thanks, I will do just that: Find nearby speed bumps.

Not yet, there is a shortage of loaner cars and I need wheels the next few days.
Will make an appointment shortly, probably after Christmas.
I hear you on that shortgage of loaners. When my then 3 month old car got towed in on a flatbed, they told me there were no loaners available for a couple of weeks (which, of course, is ridiculous when you have a broken down brand new car). Fortunately, my good salesperson was able to get me a loaner off the Pre-Owned Sales lot.
Old 12-21-2021, 10:28 AM

2019 E-450 Wagon
I hear you on that shortgage of loaners. When my then 3 month old car got towed in on a flatbed, they told me there were no loaners available for a couple of weeks (which, of course, is ridiculous when you have a broken down brand new car). Fortunately, my good salesperson was able to get me a loaner off the Pre-Owned Sales lot.
As should be..
I can live without a loaner once Christmas is over.
Retired old fart, the E-450 is really a toy car, I only need to drive to the beer store, and the boat equipment stores and can use my wife's Chevy Volt for that.
After I sold my German built Buick Wagon 3 months ago we had planned to be a one car family, but I couldn't resist, kept looking at nice cars for sale occasionally
and when I saw this Silver Wagon with the midnight trim/package I got full of lust and said I'll take it. (After haggling for 3 hours using SMS with the sales man)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I am back, long time no see. Bought an E-450 Wagon today