E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

2017 E300 W213 - new user (old car) many gremlins!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2021, 03:18 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E300
Talking 2017 E300 W213 - new user (old car) many gremlins!

While I love the interior and stuff, i hate many aspects of the car already

(a) open boot with a kick - failed to me more than opened.... (I'd say 3pass/7fail out of 10 attempts).. when i returned from sam's club and needed it the most it failed on me!

(b) ride is so stiff that I hear every single gravel of the road and very harsh! i have a 19 inch premium with run flat tires... looks like swag, but rides like s**t

(c) tried to see if i can 'move' the car like i saw in some youtube videos from the parking lot using the phone - but i was not.. is it not available in USA? my car is a premium 3 completely loaded

(d) parking assistance is literally of no use - for the first ever time it parked the car properly today out of my say 10-15 attempts in the last few days... i have seen the videos and know 'how' to get it to 'find' the spaces.. but it simply doesn't!!

(e) the engine and ride quality - it seems to be like someone is catching their throat while talking, not fluent, a bit hesitant and stays longer on gears i think... i wanted it to 'sail' better than my acura and lexus, but no!! (my first ever mercedes)... may be i need to have it tuned better or something.. i gave it the 93 octane fuel... hopefully that solves..

there are many more.. i will list them at some point.... while i love the car and its looks, these gremlins are keeping me grounded with it.

thanks for reading, and appreciate any similar experiences and the way you approached or resolved these!
Old 11-29-2021, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 223 Posts
E 300 AMG-Line diesel-Hybrid - 2021
C) you need a subscription for this to work + the special park app
Old 11-29-2021, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,238 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @55kMi
Taming the Ninja-kick...

The flakey trunk kick reflects poorly on the overall MB quality, it's one of the first thing that got me puzzeled. That and the doors sounding alarm after unlocking them open.

I disliked it whole heartedly the day it decided to hit me in the back of the head while loading my groceries. Thank God for that red push button!!

There are couple things you can do to try and help yourself:
- Reboot the car computers modules by power cycling the battery.

- Resolder the solderless pin connections of your trunk module (Ninja-kick sensor is ok).

- Advanced tricks (scan, float, solder, update, TSB...)

The kick reaction time is a bit like the "tip of the iceberg". When it's in the mood, the kick works 100% great and the car systems are lag-free. ​​​​​​​

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 11-29-2021 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-29-2021, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 575 Likes on 434 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Originally Posted by ram0201

(a) open boot with a kick - failed to me more than opened.... (I'd say 3pass/7fail out of 10 attempts).. when i returned from sam's club and needed it the most it failed on me!
Mind works quite well and I use it all the time. Take it to your dealer under warranty.

(b) ride is so stiff that I hear every single gravel of the road and very harsh! i have a 19 inch premium with run flat tires... looks like swag, but rides like s**t
Many threads on this issue. Your problem is the 19" wheels. Those of us who have the 18" wheels enjoy a quiet and smooth ride.

(c) tried to see if i can 'move' the car like i saw in some youtube videos from the parking lot using the phone - but i was not.. is it not available in USA? my car is a premium 3 completely loaded
Not surprised. This is not available on your car.

(d) parking assistance is literally of no use - for the first ever time it parked the car properly today out of my say 10-15 attempts in the last few days... i have seen the videos and know 'how' to get it to 'find' the spaces.. but it simply doesn't!!
Correct: most of us find this useless. I ordered this option to get the beeping sound as I park.

(e) the engine and ride quality - it seems to be like someone is catching their throat while talking, not fluent, a bit hesitant and stays longer on gears i think... i wanted it to 'sail' better than my acura and lexus, but no!! (my first ever mercedes)... may be i need to have it tuned better or something.. i gave it the 93 octane fuel... hopefully that solves..
Did you drive the car before you bought it? The 4 cylinder engine is not smooth like the V6. Putting 93 octane will not solve the problem. FWIW, I run 87 in my E450 and it is as smooth as silk.

The following users liked this post:
BoMB (11-29-2021)
Old 11-29-2021, 06:00 PM

E300
Originally Posted by JTK44
Mind works quite well and I use it all the time. Take it to your dealer under warranty.

Many threads on this issue. Your problem is the 19" wheels. Those of us who have the 18" wheels enjoy a quiet and smooth ride.

Not surprised. This is not available on your car.

Correct: most of us find this useless. I ordered this option to get the beeping sound as I park.

Did you drive the car before you bought it? The 4 cylinder engine is not smooth like the V6. Putting 93 octane will not solve the problem. FWIW, I run 87 in my E450 and it is as smooth as silk.
thank you for all replies so far! Is 87 grade fuel allowed for a e300?!
Old 11-29-2021, 06:10 PM

E300
One more new gremlin!
(f) as soon as i turned on my wiper now, it broke!! The left side broke and fell down.. it has a merc logo on it.. have anyone had this issue? Replacement suggestions?
Old 11-29-2021, 08:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,453 Likes on 2,088 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
One more new gremlin!
(f) as soon as i turned on my wiper now, it broke!! The left side broke and fell down.. it has a merc logo on it.. have anyone had this issue? Replacement suggestions?
It snapped in half or was it just loose?
and to answer your other question, no I personally don't recommend 87 (as for the other forum member that used 87 on their E-Class I believe it has to do with the measurement of octane used differently in North America vs Europe so if they use 87 it is probably equivalent to 91 in North America) but (imo) if you are in North America, 87 is not recommended but that is just my opinion.

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 11-29-2021 at 08:17 PM.
Old 11-29-2021, 08:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

(a) try reverse kicking. basically place your foot below the sensor and kick backward out of the vehicle (it works much better for me so it might work for u)
(b) 19 inch or above with runflat is a recipe for an uncomfortable ride. like others said 18s will make a world of difference and especially if u get rid of runflats but idk if u need runflats.
(c) never used this
(d) I never actually used mine on the C so can't really comment neither do my friends have E-Class uses theirs.
(e) hmmm are you talking about the transmission or actually the engine, if it is the shifting I think you are actually talking about the transmission?

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 11-29-2021 at 08:17 PM.
Old 11-29-2021, 08:52 PM

E300
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
(a) try reverse kicking. basically place your foot below the sensor and kick backward out of the vehicle (it works much better for me so it might work for u)
(b) 19 inch or above with runflat is a recipe for an uncomfortable ride. like others said 18s will make a world of difference and especially if u get rid of runflats but idk if u need runflats.
(c) never used this
(d) I never actually used mine on the C so can't really comment neither do my friends have E-Class uses theirs.
(e) hmmm are you talking about the transmission or actually the engine, if it is the shifting I think you are actually talking about the transmission?
Thank you all...

(a) interesting - will try tomorrow.

(e) i think the transmission is ok... it seems the engine is just running like its taking more load and not breathing properly... as soon as i start the car and take off my foot, my other cars just drive themselves, this one is way too slow until i give it some throttle... and i think the rpm has to go a bit more than what i have done in my other cars...
Old 11-29-2021, 08:54 PM

E300
it snapped out at the center and i couldnt put it back.. may be some other part fell off... as of now, the metal part of the handle is touching the glass, and scary that i shoudnt be turning on the wipers accidentally... any suggested wipers? also it looks too hard to "pull out the wiper handle" - like i do in my other cars when it snows... can these wipers be pulled out from the glass when it snows?
Old 11-29-2021, 08:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Thank you all...

(a) interesting - will try tomorrow.

(e) i think the transmission is ok... it seems the engine is just running like its taking more load and not breathing properly... as soon as i start the car and take off my foot, my other cars just drive themselves, this one is way too slow until i give it some throttle... and i think the rpm has to go a bit more than what i have done in my other cars...
Did you a try a different gas station? What is the ethanol content (in percentage) stated when you fuel up?
Old 11-30-2021, 08:52 AM

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
E300 4matic
Have you had your aux battery checked? Mine was real low when I got my 17 E300. The auto stop/start never kicked in so I had them check it and they replaced it for free.. Perfectly fine now and never an issue with the trunk opening by kick. Not sure if they are both run off the aux but I would have it checked.
Old 11-30-2021, 09:16 AM

E300
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Did you a try a different gas station? What is the ethanol content (in percentage) stated when you fuel up?
Yes - i am now using the 93 octane at Costco. Hoping things get better... this is the first time i am fueling.. (it was delivered to me by the dealer 3 days back - so i do not know what they used).
Old 11-30-2021, 09:17 AM

E300
sure - will do (as of now am just using the key.. but when i bring it to the dealer for next service i will do)
Old 11-30-2021, 10:04 AM
Out Of Control!!

Yes - i am now using the 93 octane at Costco. Hoping things get better... this is the first time i am fueling.. (it was delivered to me by the dealer 3 days back - so i do not know what they used).
That is probably why you have the issue with the stuttering, they used poor fuel. I personally used Shell VPower 91 with no ethanol content here in Canada and love it but keep in mind gas stations despite same brand (ie. of a location vs another location) have different refineries supplying them. You could try shell next time too if you want : )

Personally, I test driven several C300 as loaners when my vehicle was in service and never experienced any issue with the engine stuttering, your car shares the same engine. So I was very curious why your car is experiencing such. 93 doesn't hurt though if you prefer using 93 but again, I am not fully sure if Canadian market vehicles and USA market vehicles uses the same octane. The stuttering you experienced seems very likely it was bad fuel and the vehicle had to adjust the timing to prevent knock.

I don't think your vehicle really needs 93 to be honest (check your fuel cap to see the octane stated) In Canada it is 91. If you see improvement from the costco gas then great! If not you could give 91 at shell a try.

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 11-30-2021 at 10:10 AM.
Old 11-30-2021, 08:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
W213
My 2021 w213 has a right indicator failure which pops out randomly.
Currently its in the dealer for the 2nd day.
Old 11-30-2021, 08:38 PM

E300
(b) i have an update.. afterreading several threads in this forum, i tried the very simple suggestion by one nice soul here... inflated my tires (19 inch wheel) to 33 front and 39 rear (max as per fuel cap). The ride we expect now to be more harsher and stiffer - but to my surprise it was a bit more softer!! And precise handling.. i really don't know what is going inside the car, but i could not feel previous harshness. It was a step better.

Noted another minor gremlin

(h) driving at night, the ignition button shows right on top of windshield like a moon always going with u.. a bit annoying as my eyes go there many a times (peripheral vision) i attribute this to bad design.. my other cars this would turn off after igniting or it is placed at a spot that it will not show up in the windshield...
Old 11-30-2021, 09:01 PM

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts
MB W213 E300 4MATIC Luxury Model

there are many more.. i will list them at some point.... while i love the car and its looks, these gremlins are keeping me grounded with it.

thanks for reading, and appreciate any similar experiences and the way you approached or resolved these!
a. User error, happens if you stick your foot too far under the car. Happened to me a couple times as well

b. Run flat tires, I changed to none run flat tires and couldn’t be happier. I am in my car by myself 99% of the time and carry a full size spare, jack and tools in my truck

c. Depending on the county and as one member stated also require a subscription if it’s supported in your county

d. Also user error, works fine when done correctly. I too have made mistakes using it

e. Not sure what that’s about, I have the E300 Luxury Module in the US and love it. A lot of things are personal preferences and 2 people can drive the same exact car and have total opposite response.

Good luck and hopefully you can get some of your issues resolved to your satisfaction
Old 12-01-2021, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 543 Likes on 479 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC........ 2011 C63 AMG.............. 2015 CLS400 4MATIC.....
You should use 91 or higher.