E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

2022 E450 All Terrain Wagon questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2022, 02:33 PM

Received 119 Likes on 77 Posts
2019 E-450 Wagon
I just now read this entire thread as I have been considering a new Wagon: 48 volt issue with the car draining down the battery after a week just sitting:
Got the same on my 2019 E-450 with 12 Volt system: Took it in for a B service 2 months ago and mentioned the issue to the SA: He said it was "normal" due to lots of electronic stuff needing memory while the car was parked, but make sure to lock the vehicle even in the garage as an un-locked car would drain even faster.
Now you guys are saying it was the same on the 48 Volt system? When was it introduced? -21 or -22?
Yet the latest versions had no battery drain problem?

For a remedy I bought this charger:

Highly recommended, seems rock solid with good components for a reasonable price.

I am also concerned about the Run Flat tires on present car and any future car:
Had Run-Flat tires on a 2015 BMW 328XD Wagon I leased for 3 years:
When signing the papers with the finance guy he highly recommended I get the Wheel/Tire package
for $500.
I declined since I am a careful driver. (I always get the W/T package on Wifey's cars, she finds many
curbs and nails in her travels)
At any rate: Sure enough, I had a flat on the leased BMW Wagon, fortunately only 3 miles from my BMW dealer
so drove it over there with almost no air pressure and asked them to fix it: No problem, $350 later and 8-10 signatures
later I had a new tire.
Moral of the story, I won the gamble $350 is less than $500.

I hate the run-flats on my MB Wagon, if I keep the car I will swap them out for Michelins as the car deserves it, so does the owner,,
Been looking at the aftermarket donuts with a jack, probably the way to go for $500-600 when on long trips.
(I fly for free so there is no long trips, the only exception is our condo 260 road miles away with no air service, this is where the donut comes in)
For shorter trips: Has anybody tried and/or used the bottle with sealant on a regular but high performance tire like the Michelins?
If it works, does the sealant/foam ruin the tire...?
The following users liked this post:
M. Schneider (06-11-2023)
Old 11-14-2022, 02:54 PM

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
2023 E450 AT wagon, and 2013 E350 coupe
I just can’t imagine having to hook up my battery charger each time I leave my car in the garage. Drive 1 mile up to the store…unhook trickle charger…come home and hook it back up. Head out 2 miles for take out…same exercise. Etc.
I do not care about all the electronic bells and whistles, I just care about reliability, MB wagon best amount of storage space for trips to our beach place, nice handling, etc. to replace my rock solid 2001 wagon with 165,000 miles.
I wonder if there are aftermarket solutions to rip out the rear facing third seat and use the space for a spare and jack!!
Having “normal battery drain” that would be problematic when only driving a few miles per day and when leaving the car for a two week vacation seems like a huge step backward in technology and convenience. Kinda like run-flats are a step back in order to reduce weight by leaving out a spare and meet mileage requirements.
Old 11-14-2022, 03:39 PM

Received 119 Likes on 77 Posts
2019 E-450 Wagon
Originally Posted by rmgrenley
I just can’t imagine having to hook up my battery charger each time I leave my car in the garage. Drive 1 mile up to the store…unhook trickle charger…come home and hook it back up. Head out 2 miles for take out…same exercise. Etc.
I do not care about all the electronic bells and whistles, I just care about reliability, MB wagon best amount of storage space for trips to our beach place, nice handling, etc. to replace my rock solid 2001 wagon with 165,000 miles.
I wonder if there are aftermarket solutions to rip out the rear facing third seat and use the space for a spare and jack!!
Having “normal battery drain” that would be problematic when only driving a few miles per day and when leaving the car for a two week vacation seems like a huge step backward in technology and convenience. Kinda like run-flats are a step back in order to reduce weight by leaving out a spare and meet mileage requirements.
All of the above..
I had no idea my E-450 had a battery drain problem, but now that I am aware, it is sort of ok because of the small charger pictured above, $30 and you plug it in as needed.
(Like your lap-top or iPad)
Not ideal but I never leave the Wagon at an airport, we use a car service to pick up and drop us off.
Cars are safely stored in the garage: The low Voltage warning comes on after 7-8 days if I forgot to lock it. My last trip was 8 days with locked doors, no problem.

As for the Run-Flat tires...
I was kind of aware of it: MB looked at the age of the average buyer: It would be a waste of weight and money to equip the MB's with a spare tire and a jack.
The average 75 year old S or E class owner would not pull over on a dark and stormy night to change the wheel. (I would, 65 years old but drove trucks and taxi cabs in my youth, I know all about it and will get a donut and a jack with my Michelins in the future, I will also try to remove the stupid aft facing third seat to fit the donut and jack there)
Glad the electrical problem is solved, perhaps there is a fix for the older cars as well, like my 2019..
Old 11-14-2022, 07:21 PM

Received 166 Likes on 121 Posts
2022 E450 All-Terrain
I tried this out. I left the car in really cold conditions, in my garage, for 6 full days (during a business trip). Absolutely zero battery drain and the car started back up with no fuss. The key is that there was ZERO drain. So if there was zero drain despite the passage of 6 whole days, I think even a month of sitting still would not have been a problem. Either MB solved the problem in the 2022+ models or I got a sample with no problems whatsoever.
M. Schneider (05-30-2023)
Old 11-14-2022, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Roweraay
I tried this out. I left the car in really cold conditions, in my garage, for 6 full days (during a business trip). Absolutely zero battery drain and the car started back up with no fuss. The key is that there was ZERO drain. So if there was zero drain despite the passage of 6 whole days, I think even a month of sitting still would not have been a problem. Either MB solved the problem in the 2022+ models or I got a sample with no problems whatsoever.
That would be good news…I remember you posting on it.
btw, did you make a point of locking it while in your garage, as to whether the “battery drain” is lessened if the car is locked? Not sure if that is true or not.
Old 11-14-2022, 09:21 PM

2022 E450 All-Terrain
That would be good news…I remember you posting on it.
btw, did you make a point of locking it while in your garage, as to whether the “battery drain” is lessened if the car is locked? Not sure if that is true or not.
Yeah, I am pretty certain the car was locked during the trip. But if locking the car is what it takes, that’s an easy fix, and I’ve always locked my cars when leaving on a trip…..if someone wants to unlock it, all it takes is the press of a button.
Old 11-28-2022, 01:18 PM

2022 E450 All-Terrain
Not sure why, but I posted a few posts on this thread, and it is not visible anymore.
Old 11-28-2022, 01:25 PM

2022 E450 All-Terrain
I just returned back from an 1820 mile round-trip to/from Maine, and the car was flawless. No hiccups, no battery issues or anything of the sort. Just impeccable performance. It was raining during the entire trip back, but the car behaved perfectly.

For the record, I have had ZERO battery or any other issues with my 2022 All-terrain.

Right after the 1000 mile break-in period, I replaced my factory Run-flats (RF) with XL-load rated Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires (same tires that come standard on the Corvette), which are lighter than the RF tires, softer riding, and FAR more grippier in all weather conditions. I carried one of these RF takeoffs along as a backup, during my trip to Maine.

As an aside, I had 2 other passengers and my German Shepherd along with me for the trip. The GS was in the hatch area, within his crate.
The following 4 users liked this post by Roweraay:
Drone_S213 (11-28-2022), js_cls (11-28-2022), Lanzz (11-28-2022), M. Schneider (11-28-2022)
Old 05-24-2023, 08:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 GL 550, 2014 C63 507 edition
New E450 AT

Start it. Juts bought a 2023
Originally Posted by davidhtruong
I agree we need an All Terrain or Wagon Thread... I guess I'll make one
Old 05-24-2023, 09:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 GL 550, 2014 C63 507 edition
Does anyone have pictures of aftermarket roof racks and cargo container on a white wagon? Also looking for mats for dogs in car and cargo area.
Old 05-25-2023, 11:57 AM

2022 E450 All-Terrain
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Yes, 245/275 on 20s, factory summer Eagle F1 performance run-flats. Will be switching to either Michelin or Continental all-season non-RF before winter. Will be interesting to see if gas mileage changes…
I replaced my factory AT 19” wheels, with 19” wheels from a prior year S-class. Staggered layout. Perfect offset and perfect fit. In fact, they should have come out of the factory with the staggered layout in the 19s too, which improves the planted-ness of the car.

The new tire/wheel sizing being: 245/45/19 on 8.5” wide wheels in the front, and 275/40/19 on 9.5” wheels in the rear (factory sizing of the prior year S-class).

With this change, the wheel width, the offsets and the tire widths on my All-Terrain, are now exactly the same as the optional factory 20” wheels that you have on your car. And I preferred staying with the 19” than going to 20s, for the additional sidewall.
Old 05-25-2023, 12:01 PM

2022 E450 All-Terrain
Originally Posted by 2014gl550
Does anyone have pictures of aftermarket roof racks and cargo container on a white wagon? Also looking for mats for dogs in car and cargo area.
If your car has the pano moonroof (like mine does), most roof racks (including the Mercedes roof-rack) will interfere with the opening of the pano roof. Certainly a design slip on Mercedes’ part. I think when it comes to mats for dogs in the cargo area, there’s a factory option from Mercedes…..just look it up.
Old 05-25-2023, 12:06 PM

2022 E450 All-Terrain

Here’s a picture of the vehicle shodded with the new wider/staggered 19” wheels/tires from the prior-year S-class.
The following 3 users liked this post by Roweraay:
Drone_S213 (05-25-2023), M. Schneider (05-30-2023), nycebo (05-25-2023)
Old 05-25-2023, 09:01 PM

Received 269 Likes on 173 Posts
Looks really good! Much better than either of the 19” AT choices.
The following 2 users liked this post by Alan Smithee:
M. Schneider (05-30-2023), Roweraay (05-25-2023)
Old 05-26-2023, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by 2014gl550
Depends upon your needs and desires regarding dog mats. In my case I researched this seemingly forever, and finally found what works for us. I wanted a cargo mat to protect the cargo area from dogs and other soiling when the rear seats were up, but wanted to avoid anything that had tray sidewalls that would get smashed when pushing cargo forward when the rear seats were down. Also didn’t want anything that would involve adhesive leaving sticky residue on the backs of the rear seats or cargo sidewalls.

Decided to go with the ExactMats X-edition thick plastic mat that is laser cut to exactly fit the car model, and was one of the only ones available for the ‘23 (or ‘22 wagon). And you can tell them what holes if any you want cut for connectors, etc. They cut them to order. Not cheap, but I am very pleased with it. This protects the floor in everyday use and if the dogs are confined to the cargo area with the rear seats up.
https://www.exactmats.com/products/m...edes&year=2023

In my case, I wanted a dog protector for the backs of the rear seats when they are down, as when we travel to our Oregon house we pack our cargo in the far back, and set the dogs up just behind us on the lowered rear seat backs. I also wanted to protect the backs of the front seats in that scenario, and the doors from the dogs’ scratching. I went with the Owley’s Dog Car Seat Cover, which can be used when the rear seats are up (attaching to the headrests of the front seats and the back seats), or, as we use it, attaching to the front seat headrests and laying down over the backs of the lowered rear seats…and the cargo is loaded behind the dogs. What I like about this is that it is waterproof, sturdy and well built, and the side panels are stiff so that they stand up and protect the doors without trying to fit something between the door frame and the glass or using adhesive on the door or glass. I spread out an inexpensive waterproof dog blanket from Amazon over that for extra protection and the padding for the dogs’ comfort, and this can be washed in the washing machine. There are many dog covers that I found on Amazon for much less, but they seemed to be very lightweight vinyl and not durable.
https://owleys.com/dog-car-seat-cover-travel-buddy/

These have served our needs well, but our specific situation is different from others who may have wet dogs frequently getting in and out, using dog crates for three dogs (!), etc.
The following 2 users liked this post by rmgrenley:
2014gl550 (05-27-2023), Roweraay (05-28-2023)
Old 05-28-2023, 03:15 PM

2022 E450 All-Terrain

Decided to go with the ExactMats X-edition thick plastic mat that is laser cut to exactly fit the car model, and was one of the only ones available for the ‘23 (or ‘22 wagon). And you can tell them what holes if any you want cut for connectors, etc. They cut them to order. Not cheap, but I am very pleased with it. This protects the floor in everyday use and if the dogs are confined to the cargo area with the rear seats up.
https://www.exactmats.com/products/m...edes&year=2023

Went to the site and chose the 2 front/2 rear/Cargo configuration. But no price seems to be displayed anywhere on the screen. Seems to be a website glitch……do you know what the price is ?
Old 05-28-2023, 06:20 PM

Went to the site and chose the 2 front/2 rear/Cargo configuration. But no price seems to be displayed anywhere on the screen. Seems to be a website glitch……do you know what the price is ?
The cost of the cargo mat was $114 when I purchased it.
I had contacted Katie Slaughter in support to discuss the options and figure out how to order it correctly, regarding cutouts, etc. Since they are made to order so you can do that, and since it was not apparent on the website how to order options, I contacted them.
I emailed her and said "Ready to order, and will want NO cutouts for the 4 D rings…just the one larger cutout for the handle in the far rear."
And I wanted to be sure to get the Black X Edition mats.

I did not get other mats, chose Mercedes rubber mats for front and back floors.
Keep in mind that the cargo mat is a plastic or vinyl that is not grippy like carpet mats or rubber mats, which is good for the cargo area, but I am not sure what that would be like for the floor areas...although maybe I am not used to it since I have never tried anything but carpet of rubber mats on the floors.
Roweraay (05-29-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 735 Likes on 547 Posts
GLE 580
Just want to note about the acoustic package. It provides other benefits besides reduced noise in the cabin. It's a laminate sandwiched between two pieces of glass and this laminate also reduces heat so if you live in a warm climate, this can really help when getting back into your car on a sunny day. An inherent benefit of laminated glass is that it's harder to break through for theft such as smash and grabs.
M. Schneider (06-10-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 03:21 PM

2022 E450 All-Terrain
Originally Posted by wildta
Just want to note about the acoustic package. It provides other benefits besides reduced noise in the cabin. It's a laminate sandwiched between two pieces of glass and this laminate also reduces heat so if you live in a warm climate, this can really help when getting back into your car on a sunny day. An inherent benefit of laminated glass is that it's harder to break through for theft such as smash and grabs.
I have 3M crystalline nano-ceramic film in all glass areas of my car, including the panoramic moon-roof and the front-windshield. The film cuts out 100% of the UV and 93% of the Infra-red (the heat we feel from the sun). So I could come back to a car that’s been roasting in the mid-day sun, and the interior would be barely warm. Also, since the film itself has 200+ layers within it, a smash-and-grabber will have an unpleasant surprise, when they try to do it, since the film itself is strong enough to stop that.

The whole thing came to around $1600, but totally worth it to me ! But yes, the acoustic package adds sound deadening to the mix, which is certainly an added plus.
M. Schneider (07-13-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 818 Likes on 649 Posts
I have the acoustic comfort package in '18 E300. It works well. I
n the US it is illegal in every state to add film or tint below the AS-1 line on the windshield.
Many jurisdictions in Florida actively look for violators at roadside safety checks, etc.
Old 06-01-2023, 07:24 PM

2022 E450 All-Terrain
Originally Posted by ua549
I have the acoustic comfort package in '18 E300. It works well. I
n the US it is illegal in every state to add film or tint below the AS-1 line on the windshield.
Many jurisdictions in Florida actively look for violators at roadside safety checks, etc.
I’ve never been stopped for it, yet. Plus, anyone observing would never know there’s a film on, since it is totally transparent. I don’t have dark tint at all……completely transparent film all around, which eliminates UV and heat.
M. Schneider (06-10-2023)
Old 06-02-2023, 07:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I’ve never been stopped for it, yet. Plus, anyone observing would never know there’s a film on, since it is totally transparent. I don’t have dark tint at all……completely transparent film all around, which eliminates UV and heat.
You are fortunate to not be stopped for a safety inspection.
Old 06-02-2023, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 792 Likes on 536 Posts
2018 AMG E43
Florida is a car modders paradise, no state inspections, no smog rules, and I know of zero people who have ever had an issue with the law here about anything other than speeding or driving infractions.

I'd be willing to bet you could drive a chassis here with no body and as long as you have a license plate on it, you would not get pulled over.

A bit of a different car world here.

Old 06-02-2023, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 792 Likes on 536 Posts
2018 AMG E43
BTW; my brother has his entire windshield tinted (in Florida also), it's a common thing here and again I don't know of anyone here getting a violation for windshield tint.

I'm sure Florida is an exception though.

Old 06-02-2023, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

In Hillsborough and Pinellas counties there are a few "rat packs" looking for safety and other violations each year. They are typically announced in advance. A couple of years ago I was ticketed for a minor rock chip in the windshield. It was dismissed when I had the glass replaced. Still it was a pain to go to court.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2022 E450 All Terrain Wagon questions