E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

2022 E450 All Terrain Wagon questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2022, 03:43 PM

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
2023 E450 AT wagon, and 2013 E350 coupe
2022 E450 All Terrain Wagon questions

Just put our names on a build for a 2022 wagon expected to arrive in 5-6 months…supposedly!
Finally replacing our 2001 wagon after 165K miles!
Have some questions and decisions to make and wondered if anyone can help.

1. Acoustic Comfort Package: Does it make a difference? Does it change the appearance of the glass either from outside or looking through from inside? Are there issues if someone needed to replace a broken windshield or side glass? Are the Run Flat Tires noisier and therefore this would be advantageous?

2. Night Option: Are the “chrome” pieces that with this option are “glossy black”, especially in the front and rear, actually painted plastic or are they actually “chrome vs. black” painted metal? Are there issues with the black vs. chrome scratching more easily and one or both not being able to be touched up? I thought I saw on this forum a complaint about the scratches and the only option being to replace the $1000 bumper…but that might be the case either way.

Also, are the tires the same either way? I know the wheels are different but not sure if by AMG wheels that only affects the wheels and not the tires.
Which leads me to:

3. Run Flat Tires: having never had these, I admit they make me a little nervous…not in town, but we drive 180 miles back and forth to a vacation home on the Oregon coast quite frequently, so being more than 50 miles from a place that can order the tires, let alone having them in stock, is an issue. I know I can replace all 4 tires, but of course there is no room for a spare. Not sure there is a great answer for this, and it appears to be the way things are. Anyone having the same dilemma?

Also, I have heard that the RFTs are firmer, feel more road irregularities, and are nosier. And yet, the video reviews of the 2022 e450 AT say that the ride is great and smooth. What is the story? In Seattle the roads are horrible. I have a 2013 E350 coupe that I love, but the one thing that drives me crazy are the low profile tires…I feel every bump and the potholes are treacherously. I would not be anxious to have low profile tires or anything resembling them in road feel.

What 19 inch tires does the 2022 wagon come with? I have heard the Pirelli sidewalls are less durable than the Michelin RFT’s, but not sure…and apparently a sidewall issue would negate the “run flat” ability of the tire, as I understand it.

4. 48V battery problems: Have read about these on this forum, though only in the 2021 model. Has anyone experienced the 48v battery issue in the 2022 model? Or have they corrected this issue? Could just imagine suffering this problem in Oregon and having to have it towed 180 miles to the nearest MB dealer and being stranded for weeks!

5. Driver Assist package: I haven’t used cruise control in either of our cars for 20 years. It seems like most, but not all, of these features are in effect while using cruise control. Not sure whether the cost is worth it in my case…any thoughts?

6. I see the disclaimers on the MB site about the chip scarcity and read the threads where some people have received builds that come in without certain features, such as without the 12.3 inch screen. Does anyone know whether the 2022’s are still arriving without ordered features, or was that mostly an issue in in 2021 and early 2022?

thank you in advance to anyone willing to take the time to answer all these questions!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by rmgrenley:
chassis (10-15-2022), M. Schneider (10-19-2022)
Old 07-04-2022, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,008 Likes on 589 Posts
N/A
FYI, you're probably getting a 2023 model. Order guide for that has been out for a few months now.
No changes except standard metallic paint, and it doesn't look like there's any limited/delayed options right now.
Old 07-04-2022, 08:49 PM

I assume that even a ? donut tire or ? collapsible tire (not really knowing about these items) will not fit in the closed footwell of the third rear seat.
Old 07-06-2022, 05:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 770 Likes on 749 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
moved to W213 forum...
Old 07-06-2022, 08:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 269 Likes on 211 Posts
2019 E300
Originally Posted by rmgrenley
Just put our names on a build for a 2022 wagon expected to arrive in 5-6 months…supposedly!
Finally replacing our 2001 wagon after 165K miles!
Have some questions and decisions to make and wondered if anyone can help.

1. Acoustic Comfort Package: Does it make a difference? Does it change the appearance of the glass either from outside or looking through from inside? Are there issues if someone needed to replace a broken windshield or side glass? Are the Run Flat Tires noisier and therefore this would be advantageous?

2. Night Option: Are the “chrome” pieces that with this option are “glossy black”, especially in the front and rear, actually painted plastic or are they actually “chrome vs. black” painted metal? Are there issues with the black vs. chrome scratching more easily and one or both not being able to be touched up? I thought I saw on this forum a complaint about the scratches and the only option being to replace the $1000 bumper…but that might be the case either way.

Also, are the tires the same either way? I know the wheels are different but not sure if by AMG wheels that only affects the wheels and not the tires.
Which leads me to:

3. Run Flat Tires: having never had these, I admit they make me a little nervous…not in town, but we drive 180 miles back and forth to a vacation home on the Oregon coast quite frequently, so being more than 50 miles from a place that can order the tires, let alone having them in stock, is an issue. I know I can replace all 4 tires, but of course there is no room for a spare. Not sure there is a great answer for this, and it appears to be the way things are. Anyone having the same dilemma?

Also, I have heard that the RFTs are firmer, feel more road irregularities, and are nosier. And yet, the video reviews of the 2022 e450 AT say that the ride is great and smooth. What is the story? In Seattle the roads are horrible. I have a 2013 E350 coupe that I love, but the one thing that drives me crazy are the low profile tires…I feel every bump and the potholes are treacherously. I would not be anxious to have low profile tires or anything resembling them in road feel.

What 19 inch tires does the 2022 wagon come with? I have heard the Pirelli sidewalls are less durable than the Michelin RFT’s, but not sure…and apparently a sidewall issue would negate the “run flat” ability of the tire, as I understand it.

4. 48V battery problems: Have read about these on this forum, though only in the 2021 model. Has anyone experienced the 48v battery issue in the 2022 model? Or have they corrected this issue? Could just imagine suffering this problem in Oregon and having to have it towed 180 miles to the nearest MB dealer and being stranded for weeks!

5. Driver Assist package: I haven’t used cruise control in either of our cars for 20 years. It seems like most, but not all, of these features are in effect while using cruise control. Not sure whether the cost is worth it in my case…any thoughts?

6. I see the disclaimers on the MB site about the chip scarcity and read the threads where some people have received builds that come in without certain features, such as without the 12.3 inch screen. Does anyone know whether the 2022’s are still arriving without ordered features, or was that mostly an issue in in 2021 and early 2022?

thank you in advance to anyone willing to take the time to answer all these questions!!!
Welcome to the board.

1 Acoustic package is mostly Acoustic glass which has a extra layer of sound proofing membrane. It tends to eliminate ambient noise more than road noise from the run flats.
3 I had runflats for many years, I have a air compressor and fix a flat sealant in my trunk. On long trips, I bring a tire plug repair kit, Runflats are firmer and the ride is not as smooth. supposedly, Mercedes design the suspension for runflats but I could still feel the moderate sized potholes. The AT is one size up on the aspect ratio of the tires, so the 19" should ride better than the sedan. Runflats can handle a minor sidewall damage but if there is a big slash on the sidewall, it will not support the car, Low profile runflat tires will develop bubble on the sidewall easier than conventional tires, Michelin tires are always well built, the Pirelli runflat I have now has proven to be quiet, smooth but susceptible to sidewall damage like all runflats.
5 Driver Assist package, I had it on my last car, it made me too nervous on the highway when the computer is driving the car at 75 MPH. This technology is not ready for prime time yet. I will let the technology mature before looking into it again.
Old 07-06-2022, 10:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2022 E450 AT
1. I didn't have the acoustic package myself but I read online that it indeed makes the cabin quieter. If I had the chance to order my car, I'd have gone with it.
2. They are indeed glossy black. For me it was a must have as I don't think the chrome matches the plastic cladding well.
4. I read somewhere that it could be corrected by software update so before I picked up the car I made sure the car has the latest update. Been 3k miles and no problem so far.
5. For me it's a must have. I drive on highways a lot and it just helps with driving fatigue a lot. I'd say the Mercedes system is not as good as BMW's but it's working fine.
6. I think the standard screen were available after Nov 2021 so you should be fine.
The following users liked this post:
M. Schneider (10-21-2022)
Old 07-06-2022, 04:41 PM

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
I have the acoustic package and am enjoying it. Not only does the glass have an addition layer with integral spacing but the entire body has insulation applied all around to keep the cabin more quiet and keep road noise at low levels. My All Terrain finally provides a really quiet environment to enjoy the excellent Burmester sound system.
Old 07-06-2022, 06:34 PM

Received 269 Likes on 173 Posts
I ordered the ACP for the sun blocking aspect, but the car still gets super hot in the sun. It is black/black, and I wasn’t expecting miracles…but the car is extremely silent at low speeds and while stopped. I just ordered it again on another car.

Ordered the NP, too. Too much bright trim otherwise. Blends well with the rest of the black paint. Also ordered it again.

I bought a MB accessory donut spare and jack kit with the plan to switch the summer-only RFTs (mandatory on 20 inch wheel option) with all-season non-RFTs. TBH, the Goodyear Eagle F1 RFTs have decent ride and are quiet enough. If not for the lack of snow capability, I’d keep them.

Three times in the first 1,000 miles I had some issues with the car not wanting to start. After waiting ~20 minutes it was fine. No issues since (knocking wood)…never brought it in to the dealer…don’t know if it was 48v related or some other electronic glitch.

DAP - I never use cruise, either…so did not opt for it on this one or the next one.

Only thing I was not able to get on my 2022 AT was the hands-free tailgate.

Old 07-06-2022, 06:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 E350
Get Driver Assist

I am a big fan of the driver assist package. It is not autopilot. But if used prudently it reduces the stress on long trips. It works great even at slow speeds in stop and go traffic.
The following 2 users liked this post by tombon:
Lanzz (07-07-2022), M. Schneider (10-21-2022)
Old 07-06-2022, 07:06 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
E450 All Terrain
First of all, congratulations!!!! I just purchased an all terrain as well. Love the car, fits everything and most importantly my surfboard. I definitely recommend the Burmester sound system, it's absolutely amazing. I was not able to order mine, I would have ordered it with cooling seats being mine is black on black.

5. Driver Assist package: I haven’t used cruise control in either of our cars for 20 years. It seems like most, but not all, of these features are in effect while using cruise control. Not sure whether the cost is worth it in my case…any thoughts? I have used this and it's pretty scary at 75 miles an hour but works great during traffic.

Old 07-07-2022, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by MJ50
moved to W213 forum...
Hi.
Since new to forum still learning how to find threads.
Is there a thread for the wagons/all terrains, or is all that content under the E class thread?
Thanks.
Old 07-07-2022, 07:51 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
E450 All Terrain
I agree we need an All Terrain or Wagon Thread... I guess I'll make one
The following 3 users liked this post by davidhtruong:
Atlantamark (09-06-2024), M. Schneider (10-21-2022), MNBobber (09-13-2022)
Old 07-07-2022, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by davidhtruong
YES!!!
M. Schneider (06-10-2023)
Old 07-07-2022, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 770 Likes on 749 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
Hi.
Since new to forum still learning how to find threads.
Is there a thread for the wagons/all terrains, or is all that content under the E class thread?
Thanks.
all posted in this forum...
The following 2 users liked this post by MJ50:
Hundens (07-20-2022), M. Schneider (06-11-2023)
Old 07-08-2022, 01:13 AM

Sorry for my inexperience, but I don’t quite understand.
Do you mean that all wagon threads and info are in this E-Class forum?
Or that one of those links leads to everything about the wagons?
Or that there is no need for any discussion specific to wagons, because everything is in the E-Class threads?

Old 07-08-2022, 07:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 269 Likes on 211 Posts
2019 E300
deleted

Last edited by The G Man; 07-08-2022 at 07:52 AM.
Old 07-08-2022, 02:14 PM

Just heard from my dealer that the wagon build is scheduled for Sept 1-10 in Germany.
Does that still mean that it will be a 2023 rather than 2022?

BTW, been spending too much time on this forum reading about 48v battery issues!!
Making me nervous…since the posts I have found so far seem to have quieted down over the past few months, I am trying to figure out whether this issue has finally been “solved” by MB??
Old 07-08-2022, 04:59 PM

Received 277 Likes on 176 Posts
2019 E450 wagon: 2019 BMW 430i: 2013 Chevy Traverse: (departed)2013 SL550 & 2019 E450 cab
Originally Posted by davidhtruong
There is one on FaceBook: Mercedes Benz E Wagons; several of us use that as we don't have a stand alone spot on MB World for all things wagon-ie! Unless you can make one here!
Old 07-10-2022, 10:13 AM

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
2022 E450 All Terrain
First, I've had my 2022 AT for about 4 months and love it. It's an improvement over my old 2019 E450 wagon in many ways. As to your questions:
1. Acoustic Comfort -- I don't have it now, and never had it in any of my previous MB wagons. I normally have the radio on when I drive so never notice the road noise.
2. Night Option -- I have the Night Option. My exterior is Graphite Grey and I think the Night Option goes well with it.
3. RFT -- My tires are Michelin Primacy RF (245/45/19) on the 19 inch AMG wheels. Never had the Michelins before but no complaints so far. My 2019 wagon had the Pirelli Cinturato RF tires and I did not have any problems with them either. I'm a fan of RFT and will always choose RFT over non-RFT. I don't consider the 45 aspect ratio on my tires to be low profile and have not had problems driving on NYC streets. I would not get the 20 inch wheels though b/c those do have low profile tires.
4. 48V -- I was concerned about the 48V battery issues as well but it seems (knock on wood) MB has solved the issue with a combination of software and battery upgrades.
5. Driver Assist -- I never use cruise control but I still ordered the Driver Assist Package for all the other active safety features.
6. Chips -- the only feature I don't have is the hands free tailgate.

Old 07-10-2022, 02:34 PM

I appreciate everyone’s replies…helps in making my decisions.

Interestingly, yesterday we were riding bikes down here in Seaside Oregon when we passed a pretty E450 AT in a driveway, 2022 in Mojave Silver with the Night finish, and started talking to the owner.
He bought it last August, and had it die 3 times…fortunately in his home town. He said he told the dealer to keep the damn car if they couldn’t solve the problem. They replaced both batteries and he hasn’t had any problem in the months since, and he takes long road trips.

He had “white seats” and he said he has had jeans or shirts rub color off on the seats…and sure enough he showed us! I did not see that white interior was an option, and hopefully they weren’t the Neva Grey/Magma Grey Leather which we were choosing to go with our Selenite Grey exterior…I was hoping our choice wasn’t too light, so I need to actually see it in a car to check this out.

I do hope that they have solved the battery problem before my ?2023 appears in the next several months! A 200 mile tow to the nearest MB dealer would not be cool.
Old 07-10-2022, 09:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
21 E450 Wagon and 07 SL55
Looks like I am join this discussion late but, I have had 2 2021 ATs an driven about 26K miles in them total so far. I have also experienced every option between my 2 and the demo cars I have driven except the HUD

1. Acoustic Comfort Package: I have had it on both of my cars and the difference in noise and heat is noticeable compared to the demo I 1st drove.
2. Night Option: I had this on my 1st car and liked it but not the 19 inch AMG wheels due to the face of the wheel sticking out beyond the side wall of the tire making them easier damaged. I also found the ride on the 20 inch wheels to be much less comfortable and due to the ride height I found little to no handling advantage,
3. Run Flat Tires: They do not ride as well as traditional tires and they stopped me from looking for a W222 due to the difference in comfort from my W221. I do find with the softer suspension on the AT the ride is much closer to my W221 with the 19inch sport package.
4. 48V battery problems: I have not experienced these issues as I am sure most of the owners of cars with this system have also found it trouble free.
5. Driver Assist package: both of my cars. have/had it and so did my previous car. I personally enjoy having Distronic and with the multicoutor seats massage feature they make commuter traffic bearable I also enjoy the limited self driving the car will do while on the highway
6. The chip issues are being handled differently now than when my 2nd 21 was built. When my car was built it was ordered with augmented reality and the dash cam but, the camera was not available at the time of the build so those options were credited back on the sticker and I also received a credit for the car being delivered without the Hermes module. Back in May and June those two options were installed. Options I would avoid are the MBUX interior assistant both of my cars had it and the 4 things it does do not make up for the removal of the glasses holder. I also really like the augmented reality and how it will show me the traffic lights when I am stopped and the sun being behind them as it allows me to keep my visor down and not have to look into the sun for the signal to change. The dash cam on the other hand is more aggravating than it needs to be. It does not auto start with the car even though the owners manual says it should and you have to wait 85 seconds from starting your car before you can activate it. I also have learned to dislike the wood steering wheel my car has and can not wait for the opportunity to swap it out. I found the wireless charger to be awkward to get my phone in and out of and to use carplay yo still have to plug in the phone anyway.

I do really love the multicoutor seats and was surprised how different the Nappa leather feels vs. the standard I had in my 1st car. I will order bot of those options in my next car as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by Eraser-X:
M. Schneider (10-21-2022), nycebo (07-30-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 06:37 AM

Received 64 Likes on 36 Posts
1973 280SEL 4.5; 2021 E450S4 Wagon
He had “white seats” and he said he has had jeans or shirts rub color off on the seats…and sure enough he showed us! I did not see that white interior was an option, and hopefully they weren’t the Neva Grey/Magma Grey Leather which we were choosing to go with our Selenite Grey exterior…I was hoping our choice wasn’t too light, so I need to actually see it in a car to check this out.
That's the color combination of my new AT which I love for the contast and open, airy interior with the pano roof.
I too frequently wear jeans. The dealer suggested using a ceramic coating by Chemical Guys (Hydro Leather) which I did.
It works!

Old 07-11-2022, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Druid1
3. RFT -- My tires are Michelin Primacy RF (245/45/19) on the 19 inch AMG wheels. Never had the Michelins before but no complaints so far. My 2019 wagon had the Pirelli Cinturato RF tires and I did not have any problems with them either. I'm a fan of RFT and will always choose RFT over non-RFT. I don't consider the 45 aspect ratio on my tires to be low profile and have not had problems driving on NYC streets. I would not get the 20 inch wheels though b/c those do have low profile tires.
I too was concerned about the ride coming from a luxury S212 wagon. The 19" Michelins on AMG rims combined with the Air body Control provide an incredibly smooth ride.

Old 07-11-2022, 03:34 PM

So you also got the Nevea Grey/Magma grey interior?
I too like the lighter airy lookl, but our current 2001 is a medium grey and doesn’t show dirt.
I will keep the ceramic treatment in mind!

Old 07-11-2022, 04:24 PM

So you also got the Nevea Grey/Magma grey interior?
I too like the lighter airy lookl, but our current 2001 is a medium grey and doesn’t show dirt.
I will keep the ceramic treatment in mind!
Yes I did and it still looks new after 3000 miles. The trick is to treat it when new. There are lots of great, new ceramic interior/exterior products out there.
My late 2015 Palladium Silver/grey leather E350 wagon was not treated and needed occasional cleaning from dye transfer.

BTW, The AT gets GREAT gas mileage! I just averaged 36.9 mpg on a highway trip using the cruise control.
The following 2 users liked this post by E430_4MATIC:
M. Schneider (06-10-2023), MNBobber (09-15-2022)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2022 E450 All Terrain Wagon questions