E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Windshield Sun shade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2022, 12:59 AM

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 E300 Luxury - P3 and more
Windshield Sun shade

What are people using for windshield sun shades? For the first time in my car's life, it's having to be parked outside all day while I'm at work at a new client's office. Suffice it to say, I'm not a fan of getting into a hot car. Any suggestions?
Old 08-23-2022, 08:20 AM

Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts
2018 E400 Wagon, P3, Cavansite Blue Metallic, Designo Interior
I have a sun shade from WeatherTech (https://www.weathertech.com/sunshade/) and I've had it for 3 years now. It fits nicely, is durable, works great and easy to store.
The following users liked this post:
nycebo (08-23-2022)
Old 08-23-2022, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,725 Likes on 1,105 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
ALL of my cars have “The Shade” from www.Dashdesigns.com, and I use it whenever parked outside the garage.

Opinions vary on the appearance of this pleaded dash cover. But IMO, it covers better than any other option. Its storage on the glass near the passenger side A-pillar means it is always handy to use… no fumbling or groping around the back seat floor for that loose, folded windscreen shade that migrates all over the dirty, drink-spilled floors... including the greasy under-seat rails. It does not interfere with vision when stowed.

Sitting alongside the A-Pillar, The Shade never gets dirty, and it's always where you want to find it. Deploys in just 3-4 seconds when needed.

How long does it take to find your loose shade behind your seat, bring it to the front, unfold it, dust it off and fidget it into place in the windshield? Not to mention wearing out the tension (over time) in the fold down windshield shades that hold the bigger shade in place.

Last edited by DFWdude; 08-23-2022 at 04:31 PM.
drose224 (08-24-2022)
Old 08-25-2022, 07:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 260 Likes on 204 Posts
2019 E300
I have the powered rear sun shade, I wish Mercedes would make a similar power sun shade option for the windshield.
Old 08-25-2022, 08:47 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,355 Likes on 2,809 Posts
2012 CLS63
I have the cardboard, OEM version.....10 years and counting still works great
TennesseeZ4 (09-01-2022)
Old 09-01-2022, 05:15 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 E43 AMG
I use covercraft custom fit sunshades. I always order one for all my cars for years and have never looked back https://www.covercraft.com/us/en/sho...mg/sunscreens/
Old 09-01-2022, 08:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by The G Man
I have the powered rear sun shade, I wish Mercedes would make a similar power sun shade option for the windshield.
Ima-guess there are laws (at least in the US) prohibiting any such devices permanently available in a forward looking windshield.
Old 09-01-2022, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 260 Likes on 204 Posts
2019 E300
Originally Posted by DFWdude
Ima-guess there are laws (at least in the US) prohibiting any such devices permanently available in a forward looking windshield.
that would be easily safe proof by adding a park position sensor to lock out the front sun shade from activating when you are driving.
Old 09-09-2022, 02:05 AM

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
2018 E400 4matic Wagon
Originally Posted by RunwayOneSix
I use covercraft custom fit sunshades. I always order one for all my cars for years and have never looked back https://www.covercraft.com/us/en/sho...mg/sunscreens/
Me too. Although I don't have one for the E400 since the car is white and the interior is cappucino beige (more like white) and I have the Quiet Comfort Package which includes heat filtering glass. I even leave the sunshade covering the moonroof open all the time, and the car never gets hot.

Last edited by Long Islander; 09-09-2022 at 02:06 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-09-2022, 02:55 AM

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts
Mercedes E220d AMG Line Estate (S213) and Mercedes E220d AMG Line Cabriolet (A238)
ALL of my cars have “The Shade” from www.Dashdesigns.com, and I use it whenever parked outside the garage.

Opinions vary on the appearance of this pleaded dash cover. But IMO, it covers better than any other option. Its storage on the glass near the passenger side A-pillar means it is always handy to use… no fumbling or groping around the back seat floor for that loose, folded windscreen shade that migrates all over the dirty, drink-spilled floors... including the greasy under-seat rails. It does not interfere with vision when stowed.

Sitting alongside the A-Pillar, The Shade never gets dirty, and it's always where you want to find it. Deploys in just 3-4 seconds when needed.

How long does it take to find your loose shade behind your seat, bring it to the front, unfold it, dust it off and fidget it into place in the windshield? Not to mention wearing out the tension (over time) in the fold down windshield shades that hold the bigger shade in place.

Are you sure that this does not interfere with the deployment of the curtain and a pillar air bags?
hyperion667 (09-09-2022)
Old 09-09-2022, 07:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 265 Likes on 181 Posts
2016 C300 4Matic traded in for a 2022 E450 Coupe
Originally Posted by Bfgslkman
Are you sure that this does not interfere with the deployment of the curtain and a pillar air bags?
Hopefully he won’t find out when that thing comes crashing into his head while being flung by the deploying air bag.
Old 09-09-2022, 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by [color=#333333
Bfgslkman]Are you sure that this does not interfere with the deployment of the curtain and a pillar air bags?

Originally Posted by Mikey53
Hopefully he won’t find out when that thing comes crashing into his head while being flung by the deploying air bag.
I am not 100% certain, more like 85% sure... The pillar bag deploys from the rearmost (bottom edge) of the decorative pillar cover nearest to the passenger. I'm 85% sure the Shade will come loose, BUT the airbag will trap the shade between it and the windshield. Same with the pillar airbag. Also keep in mind that the primary steering wheel airbag will fire first, stopping the shade if it heads that way. I'm open to videos showing a different progression, but the ones I've seen seldom show pillar deployments in most accident cases, even though the driver's wheel bag deploys..

Finally, in litigious America, I can't imagine that Dash Designs will want any potential liability if their product could cause harm. (There are no notices or disclaimers on the packaging.) You take your chances in any accident, and I've had more than my quota. I've been struck by the front passenger door in an accident while driving, which is a lot harder than a pleated window shade.

All that said, I'd rather have the day-to-day benefit of the shade mounted in a very convenient place. It prompts me to use it more often, compared to awkwardly reaching my hand behind the passenger seat, blindly groping around to find that greasy, folded-up excuse for a shade ("Where is that damn thing, today?") and deciding in disgust not to keep at it, because I'm in a hurry. How many times have you continued to fiddle with that folded-up shade while all your passengers have exited the vehicle?

Buy one of these on a lark to try it out, and you will NOT be disappointed, guaranteed.

Last edited by DFWdude; 09-09-2022 at 10:27 AM.
Old 09-12-2022, 10:20 AM

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts
Mercedes E220d AMG Line Estate (S213) and Mercedes E220d AMG Line Cabriolet (A238)

Also keep in mind that the primary steering wheel airbag will fire first, stopping the shade if it heads that way. I'm open to videos showing a different progression, but the ones I've seen seldom show pillar deployments in most accident cases, even though the driver's wheel bag deploys..

Not necessarily. If you only had a side impact that has no real affect on your forward motion, say car from the side at a junction then the side seat and curtain bags would deploy and very likely that the dash/wheel airbags won't deploy. Many cars sat in Copart pounds around the world with onoly curtain/side bags deployed bears testiment to this. Also you wouldn't want this blind things getting caught up moving sideways just as the passenger bags goes off?

I am sure its a great product but I just use a fold up silver screen that i put out when i need it (vey analogue I know but..).