E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Tire Rotation not on Service A or B

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2023 | 08:49 PM

2020 E450 4MATIC
Tire Rotation not on Service A or B

Hi All. As you most likely know, neither Service A nor B include tire rotation. I realize if one has staggered tires with different sized in the rear than front rotation is not feasible, however, I always thought it is good practice to rotate tires every 6000-7000 miles (either cross or alternate) if all tires are the same size. Any suggestions or thoughts on rotating the E class 4MATIC sedan with same size tires? Thanks.
Old 01-16-2023 | 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Air Force

2016 C300 4Matic traded in for a 2022 E450 Coupe
Originally Posted by PPL1
Hi All. As you most likely know, neither Service A nor B include tire rotation. I realize if one has staggered tires with different sized in the rear than front rotation is not feasible, however, I always thought it is good practice to rotate tires every 6000-7000 miles (either cross or alternate) if all tires are the same size. Any suggestions or thoughts on rotating the E class 4MATIC sedan with same size tires? Thanks.
Discount Tire does it for free even if you didn’t buy the tires there. Just had my E450 Coupe in a few months ago at around 7K miles.
The following users liked this post:
PPL1 (01-16-2023)
Old 01-16-2023 | 10:31 PM

2020 E450 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Mikey53
Discount Tire does it for free even if you didn’t buy the tires there. Just had my E450 Coupe in a few months ago at around 7K miles.
Thank you. Any idea on the rotation pattern? Cross/diagonal, or just same side frot and rear swap?
Old 01-16-2023 | 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
I just buy my tires at Costco which includes free tire rotation. But I suppose you could just tell them to rotate your tires if you're in there for service, but if it's only every 10k, you should go somewhere else or just do them yourself. Typically alignment specs from Mercedes usually has the front inner tires wearing out first so rotating often will prevent that. Cordless impact guns that can loosen lug bolts easily are quite cheap these days. For $100, the first is good for 375 foot pounds and the second is 1170 foot pounds which should definitely get any bolt off.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ON...65K1/320033027

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ON...01K1/316879157
PPL1 (01-17-2023)
Old 01-17-2023 | 03:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thank you. Any idea on the rotation pattern? Cross/diagonal, or just same side front and rear swap?
  • Rearward Cross: This pattern is the opposite of the forward cross, and best suited for rear- and four-wheel drive vehicles. You bring the front tires to the rear and the rear to the front, all the while switching sides of the front tires when bringing them back. So, the front right tire now becomes the left rear tire, and the left front tire becomes the right rear tire. Just like the forward cross pattern, you need not switch sides for the rear tires that move forward.
https://www.mbwhiteplains.com/proper...tation-pattern

Some places actually suggest every 3-5k for AWD.
PPL1 (01-17-2023)
Old 01-17-2023 | 05:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E400 Sedan
do not cross if tires are uni-rotational.... that is a tire meant to be on left side should stay on left side... most of these tires have little rotational arrows on them.

I have staggered so Rotating a thing of past as I cannot see myself moving lefts to rights and rights to left. I gain nothing.

The whole point of rotating is to extend tire life since most of the time the driven tire wears faster.
but if you Rotate then you end up buying all 4 tires at same time...

Whereas with my car I buy rears about halfway thru life of front. I attribute most of this to wider rears and they tend to be softer, lower mileage tires

Now on wife FWD car I buy 2 new tires when the fronts wear out and put these new ones on the rear and move the rear ones up front.
I find I am buying less tires over 100k miles then when I rotated every 10K (oil change interval)
The following 2 users liked this post by ygmn:
PPL1 (01-17-2023), Roweraay (01-17-2023)
Old 01-17-2023 | 02:48 PM

2020 E450 4MATIC
Originally Posted by cetialpha5
I just buy my tires at Costco which includes free tire rotation. But I suppose you could just tell them to rotate your tires if you're in there for service, but if it's only every 10k, you should go somewhere else or just do them yourself. Typically alignment specs from Mercedes usually has the front inner tires wearing out first so rotating often will prevent that. Cordless impact guns that can loosen lug bolts easily are quite cheap these days. For $100, the first is good for 375 foot pounds and the second is 1170 foot pounds which should definitely get any bolt off.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ON...65K1/320033027

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ON...01K1/316879157
Thanks for the feedback. I have been doing my own rotation on my cars when they are new, and then let Costco take over when it is time to replace tires. I have been doing service A and B at the dealer but decided to take that over myself from now on and just purchased parts from the dealer (oil, filter, etc.), wasn't sure about the rotation since the owner's manual or service A and B recommendations did not mention it (or I missed it).
Old 01-17-2023 | 02:51 PM

2020 E450 4MATIC
Originally Posted by ygmn
do not cross if tires are uni-rotational.... that is a tire meant to be on left side should stay on left side... most of these tires have little rotational arrows on them.

I have staggered so Rotating a thing of past as I cannot see myself moving lefts to rights and rights to left. I gain nothing.

The whole point of rotating is to extend tire life since most of the time the driven tire wears faster.

Whereas with my car I buy rears about halfway thru life of front. I attribute most of this to wider rears and they tend to be softer, lower mileage tires

Now on wife FWD car I buy 2 new tires when the fronts wear out and put these new ones on the rear and move the rear ones up front.
I find I am buying less tires over 100k miles then when I rotated every 10K (oil change interval)
Thanks for the feedback, definitely something to think about.
Old 01-17-2023 | 02:56 PM

2020 E450 4MATIC
  • Rearward Cross: This pattern is the opposite of the forward cross, and best suited for rear- and four-wheel drive vehicles. You bring the front tires to the rear and the rear to the front, all the while switching sides of the front tires when bringing them back. So, the front right tire now becomes the left rear tire, and the left front tire becomes the right rear tire. Just like the forward cross pattern, you need not switch sides for the rear tires that move forward.

Thank you, I am familiar with this pattern, it is actually the reverse of what I do on my Honda Accord V6 (but forward cross as you mention). I will check the tires to see if they have any indication of uni-rotational or not. as brought up by y.gmn, and get on with it as it is time for an oil change too!
Old 01-17-2023 | 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the feedback. I have been doing my own rotation on my cars when they are new, and then let Costco take over when it is time to replace tires. I have been doing service A and B at the dealer but decided to take that over myself from now on and just purchased parts from the dealer (oil, filter, etc.), wasn't sure about the rotation since the owner's manual or service A and B recommendations did not mention it (or I missed it).
Well there's lots of aftermarket vendors out there. Mercedes just uses oil from Mobil and Mobil 1 0w40 is still pretty popular. Plus there's other places you can go like Rockauto or FCPeuro for filters. Rockauto has decent prices but FCPEuro has a lifetime warranty on all the parts they sell including oil and filters so you could just buy an oil and filter kit from them and just send it back and get a new one for free so you get free oil changes after buying one, for the cost of shipping.
PPL1 (01-17-2023)
Old 01-17-2023 | 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thank you, I am familiar with this pattern, it is actually the reverse of what I do on my Honda Accord V6 (but forward cross as you mention). I will check the tires to see if they have any indication of uni-rotational or not. as brought up by y.gmn, and get on with it as it is time for an oil change too!
Well the Accord would be FWD and that's the pattern for RWD/AWD. Don't see too many unidirectional tires out there any more. Most of the popular ones are not and you want to rotate them as that's the only way to get the full life out of them.
Old 01-17-2023 | 04:18 PM

2020 E450 4MATIC
Well the Accord would be FWD and that's the pattern for RWD/AWD. Don't see too many unidirectional tires out there any more. Most of the popular ones are not and you want to rotate them as that's the only way to get the full life out of them.
I have the original run flat Goodyear that came with the car, all season, 245/40R19, 98H, MOExtended, Sport, didn't see any reference to unidirectional, so I will just follow your suggestion on the rearward rotation, thanks again.
Old 01-17-2023 | 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster

The cross means that you are reversing the direction of the tire.

I believe it is better to continue to have the tires rotate in the same direction: I rotate front to back same side which does not change the rotational direction of the tire
The_Judge (01-18-2023)
Old 01-18-2023 | 04:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E400 Sedan
HAs anyone read the owner's manual to see what MB says to do?
I can say I do not remember.

BAck from reading mine and dayum there is about 25 pages of Tire info in the manual; some higlights:
a little blurb about if different sizes tires then DO NOT ROTATE
Those with TPMS should have shop do it
Rotate per tire manufacturer warranty book
If no book, Rotate, every 3-6k miles
DO NOT Change Direction of Wheel Rotation.

And then another 10 pages of tire info....

Thinnk the Manual pretty much covers everything you need to know about tires
Old 01-18-2023 | 02:21 PM

2020 E450 4MATIC
HAs anyone read the owner's manual to see what MB says to do?
I can say I do not remember.

BAck from reading mine and dayum there is about 25 pages of Tire info in the manual; some higlights:
a little blurb about if different sizes tires then DO NOT ROTATE
Those with TPMS should have shop do it
Rotate per tire manufacturer warranty book
If no book, Rotate, every 3-6k miles
DO NOT Change Direction of Wheel Rotation.

And then another 10 pages of tire info....

Thinnk the Manual pretty much covers everything you need to know about tires
I did check the manual, nothing regarding tire rotation, not even a mention of it.
Old 01-18-2023 | 02:55 PM

2020 E450 4MATIC

This has been educational, thanks for bringing up the directional tire issue. Actually, after digging in more and reading on different sites, I think I can now confidently identify my tires as directional, two factors mainly mentioned are the "V" groove, and any arrows or writing on the sidewall. My tires do not have any arrows, however, they have the V grroove (at least to my eyes), and lettering indicating which side is outward, so my conclusion is that at least in my case the tires are directional. I have photos below, if anyone disagrees, please let me know.

Labeling the outside wall

Apparent center V groove
Old 01-18-2023 | 04:10 PM
Veteran: Navy

Various
This has been educational, thanks for bringing up the directional tire issue. Actually, after digging in more and reading on different sites, I think I can now confidently identify my tires as directional, two factors mainly mentioned are the "V" groove, and any arrows or writing on the sidewall. My tires do not have any arrows, however, they have the V grroove (at least to my eyes), and lettering indicating which side is outward, so my conclusion is that at least in my case the tires are directional. I have photos below, if anyone disagrees, please let me know.

Labeling the outside wall

Apparent center V groove
Same Goodyear tires as mine and not directional, look at your tires on the other side, they’ll say Side Facing Outward and the center groove will be the opposite direction.
I just rotated mine with the backs to front same side and fronts swapped sides to rears.
Directional tires typically have a clear Rotation “label” with arrow symbols.

Last edited by NbyNW; 01-18-2023 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Clarity
PPL1 (01-19-2023)
Old 01-18-2023 | 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This has been educational, thanks for bringing up the directional tire issue. Actually, after digging in more and reading on different sites, I think I can now confidently identify my tires as directional, two factors mainly mentioned are the "V" groove, and any arrows or writing on the sidewall. My tires do not have any arrows, however, they have the V groove (at least to my eyes), and lettering indicating which side is outward, so my conclusion is that at least in my case the tires are directional. I have photos below, if anyone disagrees, please let me know.
You can look up the exact tire and see if it says if it's directional or not. Usually when they are, it's very clear that they have an arrow on the sidewall with the direction of rotation. You can't tell just from the tread pattern. I don't think your Goodyear tire is directional.
Old 01-18-2023 | 05:00 PM

2020 E450 4MATIC
You can look up the exact tire and see if it says if it's directional or not. Usually when they are, it's very clear that they have an arrow on the sidewall with the direction of rotation. You can't tell just from the tread pattern. I don't think your Goodyear tire is directional.
Thank you. I found the exact tires on the Good Year site but it doesn't clearly indicate one way or another. I will check into it more.
Old 01-18-2023 | 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thank you. I found the exact tires on the Good Year site but it doesn't clearly indicate one way or another. I will check into it more.
That's basically your answer. If it was, it would say so.
The following 2 users liked this post by cetialpha5:
Kejad (01-23-2023), PPL1 (01-18-2023)
Old 01-19-2023 | 03:58 PM

2020 E450 4MATIC
Originally Posted by NbyNW
Same Goodyear tires as mine and not directional, look at your tires on the other side, they’ll say Side Facing Outward and the center groove will be the opposite direction.
I just rotated mine with the backs to front same side and fronts swapped sides to rears.
Directional tires typically have a clear Rotation “label” with arrow symbols.
Thanks for the feedback. I will go with non-directional verdict.