E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Surround Camera "System Inoperable"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2023 | 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 E300
Surround Camera "System Inoperable"

So it started out less frequent, like maybe once every few months, but now it has been a problem more than not. When I first start the car, usually the first thing is to switch to reverse gear and back out. The camera is just a black screen with writing on the top that says system inoperable. It will not be fixed with any COMAND reset (holding down power button). It can only be fixed by turning off ignition and restarting, in which case sometimes it comes back, sometimes not. For a while, I thought my Wireless Apple CarPlay dongle was to blame, since it created longer loading times on the COMAND system and often confused the system, but I have since unplugged it and its the same thing. Obviously out of warranty right now. The only thing I havent tried is resetting to factory settings, but not sure if that will help and want to avoid losing all my settings. Other threads created in this forum suggest the dealer has to reflash ECU but I wanted to see if anyone else has found a solution.
The following users liked this post:
MBmomma57 (06-06-2024)
Old 09-23-2024 | 08:39 AM

'21 Porsche Taycan Turbo / '25 Range Rover
Originally Posted by joshg1001
So it started out less frequent, like maybe once every few months, but now it has been a problem more than not. When I first start the car, usually the first thing is to switch to reverse gear and back out. The camera is just a black screen with writing on the top that says system inoperable. It will not be fixed with any COMAND reset (holding down power button). It can only be fixed by turning off ignition and restarting, in which case sometimes it comes back, sometimes not. For a while, I thought my Wireless Apple CarPlay dongle was to blame, since it created longer loading times on the COMAND system and often confused the system, but I have since unplugged it and its the same thing. Obviously out of warranty right now. The only thing I havent tried is resetting to factory settings, but not sure if that will help and want to avoid losing all my settings. Other threads created in this forum suggest the dealer has to reflash ECU but I wanted to see if anyone else has found a solution.
Did you ever find a fix for this?
Old 09-23-2024 | 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It could be a mechanical issue. Are you sure the rear camera is popping down?
Old 09-23-2024 | 10:39 AM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Is this related? https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...ml#post9035482
Old 09-30-2024 | 02:03 PM

2021 E350W4
Having the same problem (1-2 times per month) in my 2021 E350 4Matic. Maybe related to rain - was raining today. After drying off a bit in the garage, it worked fine.