E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Accident with Active brake assist

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2023, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E200
Accident with Active brake assist

My mercedes just triggered active brake assist on a straight road with no car in front causing a rear end collision. There was only a tram right next to me. What is the best way to approach this with mercedes? Are there any logs that I can get from mercedes? Main concern currently is about safety. At this point I was driving in the city around 40km/h. This could have been way lethal if this would have happened on autobahn.
Old 12-19-2023, 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 813 Likes on 645 Posts
I had a similar incident with brake assist. Fortunately there was no crash. I filed a complaint with the US National Transportation Highway Safety Administration in 2019. After much back and forth there were no results shared with me.

NTHSA Complaint Number: 11192423
Vehicle Identification Number: WDDZF4JB6JAxxxxxx
Your Vehicle's Make Model and Model Year: MERCEDES BENZ E300 2018
Note: Your VIN, make, model, and year are all protected under the Privacy Act.
What part of your car was affected? Speed Control
What happened?
The vehicle was in motion traveling at 35 mph and controlled by adaptive cruise control set at 35 mph. The time was 12:40 pm ET on 29 March 2019. Seemingly the car went into crash prevention mode by tightening the seat belt and executing a maximum force braking stop. The tires squealed. My chest was sore where the seat belt retracted with force. Approximate Location: Southbound on Landmark Dr. near Ashcroft Ct. Clearwater, FL 33761. Landmark Dr. is a residential two lane road running North-South with dual yellow painted center marking. Road is straight and flat for approximately .2 mile in each direction. There were no other vehicles, pedestrians or animals within sight in either direction. Weather was sunny and dry with the temperature near 82°F.
When did this happen? 03/29/2019
Was there a Crash? No
Was there a Fire? No
Was there an injury or fatality? No
How fast were you going? (in mph) 35
About how many miles were on your vehicle at the time of the incident? 7805
Old 12-19-2023, 09:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,654 Likes on 2,257 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by nomemoryerror
My mercedes just triggered active brake assist on a straight road with no car in front causing a rear end collision. There was only a tram right next to me. What is the best way to approach this with mercedes? Are there any logs that I can get from mercedes? Main concern currently is about safety. At this point I was driving in the city around 40km/h. This could have been way lethal if this would have happened on autobahn.
Originally Posted by ua549
I had a similar incident with brake assist. Fortunately there was no crash. I filed a complaint with the US National Transportation Highway Safety Administration in 2019. After much back and forth there were no results shared with me.
Yikes, sorry to hear about it from both of you. Sorry to hear that there was a collision involved OP. Hopefully both of you came out unscathed. We had a thread of us forum members discussing this topic a few months ago when some MB models randomly brake with nothing there, we talked about how it might cause a collision but most of us agreed that although it was scary, it never caused a collision and there were zero reports on the news. Can't believe it actually happened to you OP, I really hope MB makes it right for both of you.
Old 12-20-2023, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
2017 E300
This is not uncommon with any brand of cars with some kind of automatic braking. Yes, it is scary, but I think most people will agree they'd still rather have this equipped on their car. I have my auto brake and collision warning set to "Late" to prevent an over eager system.
Old 12-20-2023, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

IMO Active Brake Assist should never lock the brakes as it did with me.
Old 12-20-2023, 12:35 PM

Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe
Originally Posted by ua549
IMO Active Brake Assist should never lock the brakes as it did with me.
Might it be justified in certain emergency situations, such as if a child suddenly runs in front of your moving car?
Old 12-20-2023, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by The_Judge
Might it be justified in certain emergency situations, such as if a child suddenly runs in front of your moving car?
Locking brakes is less effective and lengthens stopping distance more than modulating the brakes. A controlled stop is much safer than a skid where the wheels aren't turning. There is no directional control when wheels aren't turning either.
Old 12-20-2023, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E200
I have explained the situation to my Mercedes dealership. They asked my to bring in the car today for check. In my case the accident happened last Saturday evening. Lets see if they are able to find something. Will keep you folks informed.
Old 12-21-2023, 12:58 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,654 Likes on 2,257 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by nomemoryerror
I have explained the situation to my Mercedes dealership. They asked my to bring in the car today for check. In my case the accident happened last Saturday evening. Lets see if they are able to find something. Will keep you folks informed.
Cars nowaday have blackboxes like planes maybe not as sophisticated as planes but the idea is there, just not sure if the dealership will have permission to pull that data to see what happened, MB themselves could pull it then perhaps provide it to the insurance company.