E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

4matic wagon in the snow

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2024, 12:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
400E 4matic wagon
4matic wagon in the snow

Recently had my first chance to drive my brides new to us 2017 wagon in some really slippery, wet, warm snow in Salt Lake City. This was 4-6" of new stuff with the temperature in the low 30's. Lots of ruts and high spots.
First driving impressions were how slick things were. Over 50 years driving in this stuff and I'm a snow skier so no big deal but lots of tire spinning and ABS activation as I tested the conditions. Car was stable and gripping as long as I kept momentum low when trying any maneuvers. Tires are 19" continental DWS all season models with the "S" on the D,W,S insignia still showing. Front grip did seem lacking as initiating turn-in was a problem and applications of power to get the front end to hook up were mostly unsuccessful. Didn't do a lot of testing but nearly overshot a turn onto our street with ABS kicking in.

Biggest concern is the how low the front spoiler is and the numerous front sensors must have been impacted by the snow as a dash warning told me to consult the owner manual regarding obscured sensors. Didn't really want to get out and clear them as it was snowing heavily and my thought was they'd just be blocked again. How do owners handle this? Keep driving and refresh the dash to delete the warning? I've had concerns about the front spoiler distance to ground as the salesman driving the car (this summer) on our initial test drive bottomed out on the first driveway he entered. Our previous 2005 E500 4matic wagon had a switch to raise the car but this one does not have that option. I drive the car sparingly but have taken to going very slowly over transitions from road to parking lot for example and generally drive over bumps the same way I do in my slightly lowered air cooled 911, very carefully. A number of scuffs to the underbody were noted in the pre-purchase inspection and the selling dealer secured a loose underbody panel that had taken a hit or two. Not sure there's a solution to this one as the look of the car would be severely compromised if the height were jacked up but it sure makes sense why the new MB wagons resemble Volvo ralley-cross vehicles.

Also looking for input from other 4matic owners on their snow driving experiences. Our old E500 was a tank in the snow and confidence inspiring. This one not so much yet but more experience will help I'm sure. So please tell me how your W13 handles the winter driving challenges

Compliments and thanks ahead to all posters here and any responders to this post. Very new to this forum and earlier questions regarding run flat tires were covered in a very comprehensive fashion.

The following users liked this post:
Kejad (01-23-2024)
Old 01-20-2024, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 589 Likes on 447 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Originally Posted by Fleetwood
Recently had my first chance to drive my brides new to us 2017 wagon in some really slippery, wet, warm snow in Salt Lake City. This was 4-6" of new stuff with the temperature in the low 30's. Lots of ruts and high spots.
First driving impressions were how slick things were. Over 50 years driving in this stuff and I'm a snow skier so no big deal but lots of tire spinning and ABS activation as I tested the conditions. Car was stable and gripping as long as I kept momentum low when trying any maneuvers. Tires are 19" continental DWS all season models with the "S" on the D,W,S insignia still showing. Front grip did seem lacking as initiating turn-in was a problem and applications of power to get the front end to hook up were mostly unsuccessful. Didn't do a lot of testing but nearly overshot a turn onto our street with ABS kicking in.

Biggest concern is the how low the front spoiler is and the numerous front sensors must have been impacted by the snow as a dash warning told me to consult the owner manual regarding obscured sensors. Didn't really want to get out and clear them as it was snowing heavily and my thought was they'd just be blocked again. How do owners handle this? Keep driving and refresh the dash to delete the warning? I've had concerns about the front spoiler distance to ground as the salesman driving the car (this summer) on our initial test drive bottomed out on the first driveway he entered. Our previous 2005 E500 4matic wagon had a switch to raise the car but this one does not have that option. I drive the car sparingly but have taken to going very slowly over transitions from road to parking lot for example and generally drive over bumps the same way I do in my slightly lowered air cooled 911, very carefully. A number of scuffs to the underbody were noted in the pre-purchase inspection and the selling dealer secured a loose underbody panel that had taken a hit or two. Not sure there's a solution to this one as the look of the car would be severely compromised if the height were jacked up but it sure makes sense why the new MB wagons resemble Volvo ralley-cross vehicles.

Also looking for input from other 4matic owners on their snow driving experiences. Our old E500 was a tank in the snow and confidence inspiring. This one not so much yet but more experience will help I'm sure. So please tell me how your W13 handles the winter driving challenges

Compliments and thanks ahead to all posters here and any responders to this post. Very new to this forum and earlier questions regarding run flat tires were covered in a very comprehensive fashion.
Just returned from Vermont. Went up in snow storm, 7 -10 inches. Also received 7 inches while I was up in Vermont. Spent three years in '60's in Syracuse with a 1966 Ford Mustang GT. Learned to drive in snow so no problem for me.

My sensors kept coming on: I have gotten used to it over the past 4 years: overly sensitive to snow on the ground, and once on the car and it freezes, then the sensors are basically useless.

I have Pirelli Cinturato P7 all season (RF) - but 18" wheels. Never had any problem bottoming out.

Generally impressed with the 4matic in my E450: Of course not as good as my Subaru Outback, or Audi with quattro or even my previous Acura MDX: but the 4matic is much improved from even my prior car a 2016 E350 4matic.

Hope this helps.
M. Schneider (01-21-2024)
Old 01-20-2024, 03:44 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
W213 E450
My e450 has been fine in 4-5 inches of snow. Your problem is having no-season tires. Switch to all weather or dedicated snow tires. Even with more appropriate tires, there will be a slight amount of understeer due to the ESP. If you turn ESP off or put the car in sport or sport plus to reduce esp you will have a lot more control of the car and can rotate using throttle.

I usually use dedicated snow tires as I live in Colorado and ski all the time but decided to try Michelin cross climate 2 all weather. They are almost but not quite as good as the x-ice snow

i do not have the wagon, my e450 is the sedan but I do have the airmatic suspension and can press the button to raise it but haven’t seen the need to do so in most situations.

The only issue I’ve had with the sensors has been the parking sensors triggering a warning while driving in the snow but no issues with the adaptive cruise or lane keep in the snow. In my 2022 the adaptive cruise sensor is in the Mercedes symbol in the grill. The parking sensors are lower in the bumper. Not sure if your wagon has the same setup

Last edited by ssquared30; 01-20-2024 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-20-2024, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 589 Likes on 447 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Originally Posted by ssquared30

The only issue I’ve had with the sensors has been the parking sensors triggering a warning while driving in the snow but no issues with the adaptive cruise or lane keep in the snow. In my 2022 the adaptive cruise sensor is in the Mercedes symbol in the grill. The parking sensors are lower in the bumper. Not sure if your wagon has the same setup
On my car driving in snow, once the sensors get snow on them, the adaptive cruise control and lane assist no longer work.

But in snow I never use adaptive cruise control! I need the feedback from both throttle and steering driving in snow.

If I lived in snow country in the winter I too would have dedicated winter tires.

Just my $.02.

M. Schneider (01-21-2024)
Old 01-20-2024, 05:42 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
W213 E450
Originally Posted by JTK44
On my car driving in snow, once the sensors get snow on them, the adaptive cruise control and lane assist no longer work.

But in snow I never use adaptive cruise control! I need the feedback from both throttle and steering driving in snow.

If I lived in snow country in the winter I too would have dedicated winter tires.

Just my $.02.
what year is yours, I’m wondering if they put a heating element in the newer ones since mine has never seemed to be affected by snow. I’ve got a 2022

i don’t use the adaptive if there’s a ton of snow on the ground but in Colorado they use a lot of sodium chloride, so you can be driving through a heavy snow storm but you still can easily see the blacktop and the lines. In that situation I have no issues using the adaptive cruise control. Once the road is covered in snow I turn it off as you suggest
Old 01-20-2024, 06:25 PM

Received 213 Likes on 160 Posts
2023 GLE450, 2021 E350 / Used to drive: 2019 E300, 2021 + 2020 GLE350, 2019 E450 Wagon(s), 2017 E300
Drove my 2019 wagon in the snow a few times - handled better than I expected given it had the 19 inch rims. Had the full air suspension, so I was able to raise the car to avoid the front air dam becoming a 'snow plow'. I wouldn't drive in that weather if I could avoid it, but it was nice to know that I could if I had to.
Old 01-21-2024, 10:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
e450 wagon
Have a e450 wagon and drove it in a boatload of snow this weekend with 18” Michelin Pilot Alpin 5s. Was very confidence inspiring on the country roads and also pushing the car through hard corners. Haven’t had the sensor issue yet and felt like I had enough clearance driving in 5-8” snow. Was actually a pleasure to drive and a lot of fun.
Old 01-23-2024, 01:21 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
2017 E400 wagon
I'm in the same boat: picked up a 2017 E400 2.5 years ago, but the last few winters have been pretty dry around here (and no ski/winter camping trips). We had two ~4" snowfalls about a week apart with a decent amount of unplowed side streets around our house, and the car's been a dream. It's on new Vredestein 18" Quatrac Pro tires; I'm sure dedicated snow tires would be better, but these get phenomenal traction in everything but wet ice. The traction control is so fast in the car that it's unnoticeable - just feels like slightly sloshy handling, like I'm in a taller SUV. (My last few cars were Volvo wagons - excellent traction control for their production years, but quite obvious when it would kick in.)

I've had no sensor issues, and I use my adaptive cruise basically as soon as I pull out of the alley. That said, this snow was pretty cold and dry, so I never saw much build up anywhere on the car. No problems with clearance, either, but we also have the airmatic suspension and leave it "lifted" around the city. (That was an issue in snow with my old '95 Volvo 850 Sport - lowered suspension would start to plow anything over about 3-4".)

My only slight complaint is that the car has the (very attractive) wooden steering wheel and not a heated one. That'd be nice when temps go south of about 25ºF.
Old 01-25-2024, 08:57 PM

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
2022 E450 All Terrain
My AT handled the snow in the NY area earlier this month without any problems.

The following 4 users liked this post by Druid1:
beechcamp (01-26-2024), martinlarose (01-26-2024), nycebo (01-27-2024), Swaggin’ Wagon (01-26-2024)
Old 02-01-2024, 10:34 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 M-B E400 4Matic Wagon AMG-Line
As others have noted, it's all about the tires. All-seasons suck in all seasons. My 2017 E400 wagon has Michelin CrossClimate2 tires which come with the 3-peak/snowflake designation meaning they are winter rated. They do fine in some snow (I live in Vermont) but if it's really storming, I'm driving my wifes Honda Ridgeline that has Blizzaks. That car goes anywhere, any time.
Old 02-01-2024, 10:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
e450 wagon
Been really impressed with the Pilot Alpin pa4 performance in snow and dry. Not as good as blizzaks in the snow but good if you’re mostly in the city and hitting up big snowy adventure weekends
Old 02-01-2024, 11:29 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
400E 4matic wagon
appreciate the input

Thanks everyone for the comments. Especially the one about using sport mode to get the front end to hook up

Did measure the clearance at the front spoiler lip and its between 6-7" to ground. Pretty low by most standards. I'm completely concerned about my Bride bashing a curb or sidewalk while parking but the front sensors seem to do a pretty good job of warning you. But I believe it's bound to happen??

While the Continental DWS's inspired confidence with the 2005 V8 wagon...not so much yet with this car. Certainly the 10-20K miles on the tires are a factor and a dedicated set of winter tires is probably the answer for Salt Lake winters. I've considered a new pair of DWS's for the rear and move the rears forward but I typically like to replace all four and rotate every 5K so I'm resisting doing 2. Only one real storm for testing so far, hopefully we'll see more soon. Blizzaks get recommendations from everyone and I see more options from other manufactures too

Thanks again to the responders
Old 02-01-2024, 11:39 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 M-B E400 4Matic Wagon AMG-Line
Don't you need snows or chains to head up 210 in a storm? You noted that you are a skier, so I assume you go that way a fair bit.