E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Anyone seriously look at an S-Class before buying their E-Class...?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2024, 01:09 PM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Looking: S450/S560 2018-2020
Anyone seriously look at an S-Class before buying their E-Class...?

I know that this is probably not a very popular cross-shop...

But anyone here seriously look at the S-Class (2014-2020) before buying their E-Class(2017-2020)?

If you are single, and never really have anyone in the back seats - does it really make "sense" to buy the S-Class over the E-Class...?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-24-2024, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,817 Likes on 2,551 Posts
2019 C63CS
If you are single and never really have passengers in the rear, then a sedan in general doesn't make a lot of sense. That's where the coupes come in. They are ideal for driver and 1 passenger. Occasionally you can squeeze an additional passenger in the rear, but if you are mostly driving by yourself why such a barge? The S Class is huge and the E Class sedan is also still quite big. Both the S Class and E Class have coupe versions for those model years. The S Class coupe was discontinued eventually and the E Class coupe is now discontinued as well along with the C Class coupe. The latter two were combined into the new CLE. FWIW, I'm married, no kids and except for one car I always owned coupes. Occasionally, I have a rear passenger, and for short distances they are perfectly fine. Helps that my wife is only 5'1", so there's plenty of legroom behind her.

Last edited by superswiss; 01-24-2024 at 01:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
polo1 (01-24-2024)
Old 01-24-2024, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 223 Posts
E 300 AMG-Line diesel-Hybrid - 2021
I would love an S class, but they are just too expensive (not that the E is cheap...)
I always understood that the S class is of higher quality than the E, so it's not only size, but never actually driven one .

I owned an E coupe once and never again.
I'm married, no kids, so thought it would be ok, but turns out I've got passengers more often than i realized ..
and those passengers usually were not happy in the back ;-) - It's also a b*tch to get in.

But besides passengers, , i really need the rear space because the trunk/boot of my HYBRIDE is RIDICULOUSLY small for such a large car

Last edited by Egonvdv; 01-24-2024 at 03:33 PM.
polo1 (01-24-2024)
Old 01-24-2024, 03:29 PM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Looking: S450/S560 2018-2020
Originally Posted by superswiss
If you are single and never really have passengers in the rear, then a sedan in general doesn't make a lot of sense. That's where the coupes come in. They are ideal for driver and 1 passenger. Occasionally you can squeeze an additional passenger in the rear, but if you are mostly driving by yourself why such a barge? The S Class is huge and the E Class sedan is also still quite big. Both the S Class and E Class have coupe versions for those model years. The S Class coupe was discontinued eventually and the E Class coupe is now discontinued as well along with the C Class coupe. The latter two were combined into the new CLE. FWIW, I'm married, no kids and except for one car I always owned coupes. Occasionally, I have a rear passenger, and for short distances they are perfectly fine. Helps that my wife is only 5'1", so there's plenty of legroom behind her.
I've owned a Porsche (2-door "coupe") - and never again.

I loved the car - it was just too small.

I have always (other than the Porsche) had sedans - for some reason I just like a 4-door sedan much better.
Old 01-24-2024, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 797 Likes on 629 Posts
I've owned both E and S models. Back in the day they were quite different. Today they are almost the same feature wise. The S came in wheelbase variations, but not the E. Do you remember the models S, SE and SEL? I no longer need the spacious passenger accommodations offered by the larger S class so I stick with the E class. Even so, I rarely have passengers other than my wife once or twice a week. I like the sedan's access to the rear compartment because most of the items I carry are too fragile to carry in the trunk.
polo1 (01-24-2024)
Old 01-24-2024, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by polo1
I've owned a Porsche (2-door "coupe") - and never again.

I loved the car - it was just too small.

I have always (other than the Porsche) had sedans - for some reason I just like a 4-door sedan much better.
Yeah, I'm not talking about a Porsche. I'm assuming 911. A 911 is essentially a two seater with a couple of child seats and no trunk, just a small frunk. The S Class coupe is like the size of the E Class sedan and the E Class coupe is only slightly smaller. Personally I prefer C Class size, but either way they have full trunks, folding back seats and can fit an adult in the back. I've done a 6000 miles road trip through Europe with two Samsonite luggage and then some in the trunk of my C63S coupe. I couldn't have done that with a 911.
Old 01-24-2024, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by ua549
I like the sedan's access to the rear compartment because most of the items I carry are too fragile to carry in the trunk.
That's what the foldable crate and cargo net are for. Actually keeps things from flying around and securely tied down. Stuff on the rear seats just goes airborne if you ever need to slam on the brakes in an emergency or take corners as spirited as I do. These came standard with my C63 coupe and both fold away under the trunk floor to make room for larger items.

Old 01-24-2024, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wow! Your passengers must be very short or the one in the back is sitting sideways. I'm 5'11" (pant size 34" x 34") and I don't fit in the rear passenger compartment due to its 6" space between the front of the seat front and the back of the front seat. Also there is only 24" from the rear seat back to the back of the front seat. The distance between my hip and knee when sitting is 25".

That being said, I have to drive with the driver's seat all the way back. If I don't my knees don't clear the steering wheel.
Old 01-24-2024, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Wow! Your passengers must be very short or the one in the back is sitting sideways. I'm 5'11" (pant size 34" x 34") and I don't fit in the rear passenger compartment due to its 6" space between the front of the seat front and the back of the front seat. Also there is only 24" from the rear seat back to the back of the front seat. The distance between my hip and knee when sitting is 25".

That being said, I have to drive with the driver's seat all the way back. If I don't my knees don't clear the steering wheel.
There's generally nobody behind me. I'm also 5'11". If I have a third occupant they sit behind the passenger seat. Yes, as said my wife is 5'1", so another adult fits behind the passenger seat with her in the front. I have done 4 occupants as well, with her behind me. I just have to scoot up a bit more. No big deal for once in a blue moon. Why buy a large car if I only have 4 occupants maybe once a year? Even three occupants is super rare for me. Seems OP's situation is very similar. BTW I even had my 71 year old mom in the passenger seat with my 73 year old dad behind her in the back with no problem. They are both a bit shorter than me, but girthier. My mom kept asking to ride in my car, and I have the AMG bucket seats no less .

Last edited by superswiss; 01-24-2024 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-24-2024, 05:50 PM

Received 120 Likes on 78 Posts
2014 S550, 2007 S600

But anyone here seriously look at the S-Class (2014-2020) before buying their E-Class(2017-2020)?

If you are single, and never really have anyone in the back seats - does it really make "sense" to buy the S-Class over the E-Class...?

Drive them both and get back to us. There really isn't a comparison.
Old 01-24-2024, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E300
Before I bought the E class I seriously was considering a w222 S class. I went to go test drive 2 S classes and couldn't. One was at a dealership that didn't feel like moving a few cars so I could test drive, the other sold it. Then I said F it and went and test drove the E class I have now. Honestly I wished I had waited and got an S class. Mind you at the time I had an W220 s55 AMG also so I felt ok with the decision. Sold the w220 a few months ago and really miss the extra room and the more comfy ride. I have 2 small kids and my 3 year old always kicks my seats and gets the back of my seat dirty. To get her in her car seat I have to move my seat up every time then move it back to driving position. That's honestly my biggest gripe. If not for having to move my seat I'd be happy. The E class has better gas milage, not powerful but good enough power and can have almost all the features the S class has.
Old 01-24-2024, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That's what the foldable crate and cargo net are for. Actually keeps things from flying around and securely tied down. Stuff on the rear seats just goes airborne if you ever need to slam on the brakes in an emergency or take corners as spirited as I do. These came standard with my C63 coupe and both fold away under the trunk floor to make room for larger items.

Those tie downs might work for small packaged items, but not for larger irregular or fragile items such as table lamps or tchotchkes.
Old 01-24-2024, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Those tie downs might work for small packaged items, but not for larger irregular or fragile items such as table lamps or tchotchkes.
Are you a table lamps salesman? Had to google tchotchkes. This stuff doesn't come in boxes where you are? BTW, there's also a bag hook that folds down to hang a bag with your tchotchkes and keep it from sliding around. Seems like you are overcomplicating things a bit, or are not aware of the features in your trunk.

Last edited by superswiss; 01-24-2024 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-24-2024, 06:29 PM

Received 212 Likes on 159 Posts
2023 GLE450, 2021 E350 / Used to drive: 2019 E300, 2021 + 2020 GLE350, 2019 E450 Wagon(s), 2017 E300
I keep looking to trade my W213 E Class for a W222 S Class - those 2020 S Classes are really holding their value - tough to find one that makes financial sense, given that the factory warranties are up, they are basically coming with a 1 year CPO warranty and then you are into expensive extended warranties. (Not as expensive as not having a warranty, but it starts to seem like a W223 may be a better long term deal in a year...)
DCM91112 (01-24-2024)
Old 01-24-2024, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Are you a table lamps salesman? Had to google tchotchkes. This stuff doesn't come in boxes where you are? BTW, there's also a bag hook that folds down to hang a bag with your tchotchkes and keep it from sliding around.
I've used the bag hook occasionally for a single item, but the vertical clearance is minimal. Many of the tchotchkes are very fragile, hand blown glass without packaging.. Artwork usually doesn't fit in the trunk. I often move decor items from my home to my storage facility during annual room cleaning and/or painting. The cleaning people and painters manage to break something every year.
Old 01-24-2024, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
I've used the bag hook occasionally for a single item, but the vertical clearance is minimal. Many of the tchotchkes are very fragile, hand blown glass without packaging.. Artwork usually doesn't fit in the trunk. I often move decor items from my home to my storage facility during annual room cleaning and/or painting. The cleaning people and painters manage to break something every year.
I hope you never have to make an emergency stop and all your tchotchkes going airborne landing in the windshield and on you.
Old 01-24-2024, 09:30 PM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
2016 E350 wagon
If there was an S wagon I'd be all over that.
Lanzz (01-28-2024)
Old 01-25-2024, 09:28 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Currently: 2019 E450 AWD, Previous: 2002 CLK55 Cab

So if you are single and never have anyone in the backseat why not consider an SL vice an E class. I'm in the same situation as the OP, single and rarely ever have anyone in the backseat,...now. I grew up around SLs in the family, drove them loved them as a single man's quality car. The one thing that gave me pause was that lately I've needed, on rare, rare occasions, to give my elderly parents a ride to and from events. They contorted and squeezed into the back seat of my CLK55 coupe, but going forward, not so much. Add to that one day, one or the other of my married kids will produce an offspring and I'll want to dive into grandpa duties whenever I feel and rascal, car seat, and maybe a parent just doesn't work with the SL. Add to that the GF already has grandkids and the writing was on the wall as I just looked a bit into the future. I have a brother who has an S class and its huge, felt like I was driving my full sized Dodge Ram 2500 diesel. It was just too much. So that's how I ended up in an E class, quite a happy medium, giving changing circumstances in life. If things i. Op life are locked in place, maybe give SL a look. Super fun driver's car.
superswiss (01-25-2024)
Old 01-25-2024, 10:34 AM

Received 113 Likes on 77 Posts
2022 C300 AMG-Line; 2020 E450; 2013 SLK350
That is why I have 2 MBs - one is a 2-door convertible, for just me and the missus, and the other is a proper 4-door people mover sedan. Personally, I don't have a need for the S-class besides its prestige (not that important to me), and find the E-class just the perfect balance in size, features/content and utility/driveability. Easier to park inside the garage or in parking lots without constant worry of door dings, mine is equipped with some fancy goodies, and with the bi-turbo in the 450, it can handle the road with aplomb and speed that is just enough to not get me into traffic problems. So the E-class is a good fit for me. Married but an empty nester - 2 adult daughters already out of the nest... hardly need the use of the back seat in the E, but comes handy when there is company...
The following 2 users liked this post by Povitica3:
Drone_S213 (01-25-2024), Lanzz (01-28-2024)
Old 01-26-2024, 08:19 AM

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
E220d
I was driving 2011 S-class for a bit....... great car..... BUT
You cannot have tow bar or roof bars on S class and that is a big NONO for me. Also it is easier in town with E class, as it is smaller and really, the W213 inside is awsome.

Sooooo, I would not go for the S class anymore..... E class ticks all the boxes.
Mind you, I would love a wagon......
Old 01-26-2024, 08:54 AM

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts
Porsche Cayman S, Mercedes W213, Nissan Titan, BMW X5, Chevrolet Suburban
When I retire I would likely consider an S class. For now a 4 door E-class sedan is a great car to drive and conveys to my clients that I'm seasoned but not extravagant. I have a weekend car - a Porsche Cayman S which my wife and I have taken several 3 day road trips with careful packing and had no issues.

I've admired the S-Class sedan since I was a kid. But today an E-class suits my needs fine.