E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Wondering how long my Turbo will last on my 2017 E300 2.0 (w213)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2024 | 11:22 AM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by Billyismyname
You are correct. The Asian Mercedes market has the E class L which is the longer version that no one else gets for some reason. All other E Classes are made in Germany and exported to the US Canada etc.

Engines aren't mercedes design, and they're made in house in Alabama and another plant in the US.
I guess it has to do with their culture from what I had been reading, the long wheel base is a must for the mentioned market so all brands not just MB has a long wheel base for it. I guess the long wheel base E-Class is the length of a short wheel base S-Class without the amenities. Is it because they get chauffeured a lot?
Old 09-21-2024 | 01:01 PM

Lol, I guess my mother's friend in Germany who is a taxi driver is the 1% who has gasoline engine just got off the phone with him definitely 2.0 gas engine eClass W 213 2018, he has exactly 312,431 MI no piston or timing chain issues!

As a matter of fact he stated he hasn't had any serious issues with the car except for the door hinge cracking and the Command Center Software glitch!

Oh by the way I was born in Germany and grew up there for 20 years my family moved there from Italy.

I think you should talk when you absolutely know the facts which you don't; he has a friend at the plant in Stuttgart, the ones that come out of there did not come from Alabama or Nissan or anywhere from the USA and the ones that have the Piston problems came from the USA, according to his friend who is an engineer at Stuttgart plant!

Furthermore my friend not me said he unlocked engineering mode I believe him don't know why he would lie about it!

Once again read carefully you sound terribly uneducated!

Cheers :-)
Old 09-21-2024 | 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by JettaRed
I wonder if taxis are maintained more aggressively than personal use cars. I'd be surprised if the taxis follow 15,000 km or 10,000 mile oil change intervals.
Hey JettaRed !

One thing to consider is taxi drivers in Germany don't turn off the engine often and keep them running for hours, which keeps the oil hot and from caking, witch makes the engines last longer. I have seen many Mercedes in Germany with well over 300k MI- gas engine on original motors! :-)
Old 09-21-2024 | 01:19 PM
Out Of Control!!

2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by Massimo Here
Hey JettaRed !

One thing to consider is taxi drivers in Germany don't turn off the engine often and keep them running for hours, which keeps the oil hot and from caking, witch makes the engines last longer. I have seen many Mercedes in Germany with well over 300k MI- gas engine on original motors! :-)
very interesting
Old 09-21-2024 | 01:25 PM

Yes just keep your engine running , don't ever turn it off, it'll last longer!

I'm kidding of course :-)
Old 09-21-2024 | 01:27 PM

Doesn't matter if it's your mom or not. I am from Europe and I live over there for 6 months out of the year. 6 months in the US. I have never in my 15 years of living over there seen a Mercedes gasoline engined car being used for a taxi. Never. Gas is around $6-$7 in parts of Germany and you're telling me that the average citizen in Germany who makes 1500-2000 euros a month can afford to put $6 a gallon in their mercedes? give me a break. 99% if not all taxi's are Diesels.

This is coming from the same guy who said his friend enabled "Mirror link" from the engineering menu on his mercedes without using a 3rd party application or hardware. You can lie to your self about these things, but not to people who have some common sense.

Also, youre wrong about the engines. The M274 IS built in the USA at the Alabama plant, and the engine is from a Nissan/Infinity. It's not even a Mercedes engine.
Lol, I guess my mother's friend in Germany who is a taxi driver is the 1% who has gasoline engine just got off the phone with him definitely 2.0 gas engine eClass W 213 2018, he has exactly 312,431 MI no piston or timing chain issues!

As a matter of fact he stated he hasn't had any serious issues with the car except for the door hinge cracking and the Command Center Software glitch!

Oh by the way I was born in Germany and grew up there for 20 years my family moved there from Italy.

I think you should talk when you absolutely know the facts which you don't; he has a friend at the plant in Stuttgart, the ones that come out of there did not come from Alabama or Nissan or anywhere from the USA and the ones that have the Piston problems came from the USA, according to his friend who is an engineer at Stuttgart plant!

Furthermore my friend not me said he unlocked engineering mode I believe him don't know why he would lie about it!

Once again read carefully you sound terribly uneducated!

Cheers :-)
Old 09-21-2024 | 03:45 PM

**UPDATE**Today

The engineer at Mercedes in Stuttgart said: Do not go to cheap gas stations (Like Walmart) and only use 91 octane and up on these w213 engines!

He says this is one of the big reasons for the piston failure!!

He said they are not seeing this piston problem in Germany, mostly only in the USA due to the lower grade gas and people cheeping out to a lower then 91 octane.

Well I have always know this, owned the E class for many years now since the early 90's, why I wont buy a used one- you just never know how they treated it.

Hope this helps! :-) Source: Engineer at Mercedes in Stuttgart
Old 09-21-2024 | 03:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Actually, the cracking has to do with LSPI.
The following users liked this post:
JCM_MB (09-21-2024)
Old 09-21-2024 | 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Actually, the cracking has to do with LSPI.
Plus quality issue.

We do not see the same broken piston on the V6/V8 turbo engines. And I do not think LSPI has it against 4 cyl only.

MB missed something on those engines. Blaming to cheap gas is a cope out answer. They failed to make it clear these engines requires SP rated oil, and shorter service intervals, assuming the wrist pins were up to specs
​​​​​

​​​​
Old 09-21-2024 | 04:04 PM

Maybe too, but you have to ask yourself; why only in the USA is this piston issue?
Old 09-21-2024 | 04:07 PM

But why only in the USA?? Germany is not having this problem!

...and they have many of these cars running hard every day on the autobahn, gas engines 2.0 w213.

Last edited by Massimo Here; 09-21-2024 at 04:09 PM.
Old 09-21-2024 | 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Maybe too, but you have to ask yourself; why only in the USA is this piston issue?
I would not use ONLY, perhaps MOSTLY is more appropriate.

These engines, besides quality of parts, seem very sensitive to gasoline+oil quality/rating issue. LSPI is oil ignition + knocking combination.

We know not all oils are the same specs between Europe and the rest of the world. Same can be said about gasoline. In the US, most gasoline is the same up to the time is delivered. Then , an additive package is combined for each brand for differentiation.

A few times you have associated these failures to driving them hard, tuning, abuse. There are reported cases for normal users/driver's. It has Nothing to do with abuse

​​​​​​
Using simple logic, why not the V6/V8 un the same country, same oil spec requirements. Isolated to one engine variant? Put your quality assurance inspector hat, and you can start making conclusions.

As a manufacturer I cannot start blaming the customer, but start looking in the mirror.

Last edited by JCM_MB; 09-21-2024 at 04:23 PM.
Old 09-21-2024 | 04:18 PM

What do you think about adding Liqui Moly fuel additive to the gas tank, help?

and I always change my oil every 5k, mobile 1 Full synthetic

Last edited by Massimo Here; 09-21-2024 at 04:22 PM.
Old 09-21-2024 | 04:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by juanmor40
Plus quality issue.

We do not see the same broken piston on the V6/V8 turbo engines. And I do not think LSPI has it against 4 cyl only.

MB missed something on those engines. Blaming to cheap gas is a cope out answer. They failed to make it clear these engines requires SP rated oil, and shorter service intervals, assuming the wrist pins were up to specs
​​​​​

​​​​
Yup, the interval set by MB is 10,000 miles but what is more ridiculous is that in Canada it is 20,000 KMs which is like 12,427.424 ish miles.

Then there is also mobil1 having high in copper back then and not SP rated and the LSPI protection properties which MB been using at a dealership (just branded MB). Now the new formula is SP rated but the damage is already done.

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 09-21-2024 at 04:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JCM_MB (09-21-2024)
Old 09-21-2024 | 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes produces E class vehicles and engines in the US with production sites in Alabama, Georgia and Tennessee.
I won't buy a North American produced Mercedes.

Last edited by ua549; 09-21-2024 at 04:32 PM.
Old 09-21-2024 | 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by ua549
Mercedes produces E class vehicles and engines in the US with production sites in Alabama, Georgia and Tennessee.
Nissan is no longer building engines for Mercedes in the USA and hasn't in a long time. (Just google it)

...also in Stuttgart the engines are from Germany, not the USA- according to my Stuttgart engineer friend at Mercedes plant.

So once again, one must ask, why mostly only in the USA does this piston issue exist??

Answer: bad gas and/or made in the USA MB engines!

Last edited by Massimo Here; 09-21-2024 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-21-2024 | 04:42 PM

I won't buy a North American produced Mercedes.

"I won't buy a North American produced Mercedes" ...Same here, glad I got my w213 in Germany!! :-)

Last edited by Massimo Here; 09-21-2024 at 04:45 PM.
Old 09-21-2024 | 04:45 PM

W221/W222/W213/X290
**UPDATE**Today

The engineer at Mercedes in Stuttgart said: Do not go to cheap gas stations (Like Walmart) and only use 91 octane and up on these w213 engines!

He says this is one of the big reasons for the piston failure!!

He said they are not seeing this piston problem in Germany, mostly only in the USA due to the lower grade gas and people cheeping out to a lower then 91 octane.

Well I have always know this, owned the E class for many years now since the early 90's, why I wont buy a used one- you just never know how they treated it.

Hope this helps! :-) Source: Engineer at Mercedes in Stuttgart

I was born in Europe too. So not sure what that has to do with you lying constantly. No one believes you. Maybe do some more research before lying to people who know actual facts.

They're not seeing that problem because 99.9999% of W213 mercedes in europe are diesels lmao... Diesels don't have that problem silly.

Source: "Trust me bro I know a guy". Just stop man, you know a guy for everything, and now all of a sudden when you were proven wrong you know a guy in the plant where they build the E Class? C'mon dude, you're making your self sound silly.
Old 09-21-2024 | 04:47 PM

W221/W222/W213/X290

"I won't buy a North American produced Mercedes" ...Same here, glad I got my w213 in Germany!! :-)
Again, your M274 engine was still made in USA. Your car was assembled in Germany, just like all of our W213 E300's.

Engine = USA
Car assembly = Germany.
Old 09-21-2024 | 04:53 PM

100% wrong, I lived in Germany for 20 years and seen about 60% gas and 40% diesel cars, new and old! Mr. know it all lol

But lets just agree to disagree! Smart people will think, why mostly only in the USA?? hmmm

cheers! :-)

Last edited by Massimo Here; 09-21-2024 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-21-2024 | 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nissan is no longer building engines for Mercedes and hasn't in a long time. (Just google it)

...also in Stuttgart the engines are from Germany, not the USA- according to my Stuttgart engineer friend at Mercedes plant.

So once again, one must ask, why mostly only in the USA does this piston issue exist?? Answer: bad gas and made in the USA MB engines!
I was not referencing Renault engines. That being said, Mercedes-Benz production facilities can be found in 22 countries across the globe,
In the US at its Tuscaloosa facility MB produces GLE, GLS, EQE and EQS models (including the EQ batteries nearby).
Old 09-21-2024 | 05:02 PM

I was not referencing Renault engines. That being said, Mercedes-Benz production facilities can be found in 22 countries across the globe,
In the US at its Tuscaloosa facility MB produces GLE, GLS, EQE and EQS models (including the EQ batteries nearby).
Yes!!! I remember years ago when I first heard Renault was involved in making the engines for Mercedes, I was kinda sad, but love the french cars :-)

I had a Renault in Germany, it was good to me!

Last edited by Massimo Here; 09-21-2024 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-21-2024 | 05:06 PM

W221/W222/W213/X290
100% wrong, I lived in Germany for 20 years and seen about 60% gas and 40% diesel cars, new and old! Mr. know it all lol

But lets just agree to disagree! Smart people will think, why mostly only in the USA?? hmmm

cheers! :-)
I'll start a list of lies for you and keep track from now on:
1. Your "buddy" enabling Mirror link from engineering mode without any 3rd party hardware
2. You buying your E Class in Germany then sending it over to the USA (where the program includes shipping costs and destination fees, but for some reason you still had to pay for shipping?).
3. You living in Germany for 20 years and seeing 60% gasoline mercedes vs 40% diesel (not sure who in the world would believe that but okay).
4. You knowing a guy that works in the Stuttgart plant in Germany that makes the Mercedes E Class that you all of a sudden know.
5. Your mom/her friend having a 2.0 Gasoline engine mercedes that has driven over 300,000 miles without a single engine issue other than a door hinge (the one is my favorite).

I'll continue this list. I think it should be fun.
Old 09-21-2024 | 05:18 PM

I'll start a list of lies for you and keep track from now on:
1. Your "buddy" enabling Mirror link from engineering mode without any 3rd party hardware
2. You buying your E Class in Germany then sending it over to the USA (where the program includes shipping costs and destination fees, but for some reason you still had to pay for shipping?).
3. You living in Germany for 20 years and seeing 60% gasoline mercedes vs 40% diesel (not sure who in the world would believe that but okay).
4. You knowing a guy that works in the Stuttgart plant in Germany that makes the Mercedes E Class that you all of a sudden know.
5. Your mom/her friend having a 2.0 Gasoline engine mercedes that has driven over 300,000 miles without a single engine issue other than a door hinge (the one is my favorite).

I'll continue this list. I think it should be fun.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Old 09-21-2024 | 05:24 PM

W221/W222/W213/X290
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
You're the one with all this "experience". You seem to have an answer for everything. Don't know what to tell ya man. just be honest from now on. You're not gaining anything from lying.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wondering how long my Turbo will last on my 2017 E300 2.0 (w213)