E-Class (W214) 2024 -

Don't update working software

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2024, 11:06 AM

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
2021 E350W4
Don't update working software

Don't update working softwareI think that MB has 2-4 loosely connected, young, software teams. I have a W213, and it's clear they did not enforce user interface standards across the teams and that the products were released without rigourous documentation requirements (the documentation (operators manual) is extremely insufficient for the 213). Looks like they haven't fixed this organizational / QC-QA problem with the 214. Fixing already released software with a dysfunctional organization and a huge amount of model/option conditional code is a daunting task. Fix it for one model/option setting and you might have to test it for hundreds of others which is not practical. If your SW is working (probably due to a working combination of model and options) you should not allow automatic upgrades and think twice about upgrades unless the dealer says they are necessary and they have a way to backup and restore your existing SW if necessary.
The following 3 users liked this post by Holtgraver:
Chum_NIck (08-27-2024), pdeacon (08-26-2024), PSims (08-26-2024)
Old 08-26-2024, 02:38 PM

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
W214 E350
Completely agree. That's why I set my car to not auto-update soon after I got it. When it notified me the other week about a software update to MBUX 3.2 I decided to allow it since it's a lease that I am turning in this week when I pick up my 2025 order. Otherwise, I would not have allowed the update. With the update, I can not see any improvement to MBUX or new features but lost three things. It will no longer reliably use facial recognition to log into my profile, it will not recognize any music on a USB drive even though it can read and write to that USB drive without an issue for the in-car selfie camera, and will not recognize that AA or CP as a valid music source. Everything else works as far as I can tell and I have yet to ever see the screen freeze or reboot like others have seen. Prior to the update, I had none of these annoyances and the dealer has no clue as to how to fix it. They said they would need the car for a week or more while MB creates a custom update. I asked why do they need the car and the response was that they need info from the car to have MB build the custom update. To which I say, that is a bunch of BS. I suspect they need to keep it because they don't know how to fix it and they are giving themselves plenty of time to try different things to see if that fixes the MBUX system. To see if others are having issues with MBUX 3.2 (E263.0-5078), I have searched online but there is no mention of it other than my post here on MBWorld. Either nobody has updated which I find hard to believe, nobody else is having this issue and it's unique to me, or they do have the issue but haven't posted anything online about it or even know about the issue as they might not use those features. Ideally, when an update does come out you allow it to run only when it's been out in the wild for a while and there have been no reported issues. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much discussion on it so it will be hard to know if the particular version that is out has caused any problems with others.

I really hope my new car does not have these issues when I pick it up and I will be turning off auto-update immediately.
The following users liked this post:
Chum_NIck (08-27-2024)
Old 08-26-2024, 03:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
GL450, E450
Is there anyone on here that doesn’t have the superscreen? I’m wondering if the freeze and bugs is related to the screen software or universal throughout the class.
I ordered my E450 sans the superscreen and don’t recall seeing anyone on here comment that they don’t have it or if the same problems are occurring.
Old 08-26-2024, 04:32 PM

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
W214 E350
Originally Posted by Hicksra
Is there anyone on here that doesn’t have the superscreen? I’m wondering if the freeze and bugs is related to the screen software or universal throughout the class.
I ordered my E450 sans the superscreen and don’t recall seeing anyone on here comment that they don’t have it or if the same problems are occurring.
I believe there are several but it's likely better you post this question in the thread that discusses these issues.
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...-software.html
Old 08-27-2024, 08:34 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
2024 E450 Sedan: 2019 E450 Coupe
I have an MY24 E450 without the super screen and have not had any issues with the screens going blank, nor have I received any SW updates.
The following users liked this post:
Hicksra (08-27-2024)