Mercedes EQC 400 Undercuts Luxury Competition in Price

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 04:18 PM

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

By Brett Foote

Mercedes' first all-electric crossover doesn't look like the competition, and it'll sell for far less, too.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,303 Likes on 2,049 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
We’ll have to see the lease rates to know if the car is priced well.

Since MB has scheduled a production volume of 50,000 EQC models for 2020 I have hope that they price to move it.

It still comes at a significant premium over the GLC it is based on.
Old 12-04-2019, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 326 Posts
Only MBs - the best or nothing
Originally Posted by Wolfman
We’ll have to see the lease rates to know if the car is priced well.

Since MB has scheduled a production volume of 50,000 EQC models for 2020 I have hope that they price to move it.

It still comes at a significant premium over the GLC it is based on.
Well I would say that lease rate is irrelevant when determining how a car is priced when new (as you well know interest rate and residual are the keys and not MSRP) and more importantly its performance is on par with GLC43 (not GLC300) and it is priced on par with similarly equipped GLC43 when taking tax credit into consideration.
Old 12-05-2019, 12:34 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by threeMBs
Well I would say that lease rate is irrelevant when determining how a car is priced when new (as you well know interest rate and residual are the keys and not MSRP) and more importantly its performance is on par with GLC43 (not GLC300) and it is priced on par with similarly equipped GLC43 when taking tax credit into consideration.
We are saying the same thing re. lease rates. To me the question is how the lease rates compare to others (not MSRP). Comparing it to the GLC 43 makes less sense due of the AMG's poor lease rates.
The reason I referred to the term "price" was due to the OP mentioning the cars low price.

I hope that MB uses the same low sub-vented rates of the base GLC's with a decent residual (ideally at 59-60% for 3/15). I can see them moving 50k units then.

Last edited by Wolfman; 12-05-2019 at 12:48 AM.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

We are saying the same thing re. lease rates. To me the question is how the lease rates compare to others (not MSRP). Comparing it to the GLC 43 makes less sense due of the AMG's poor lease rates.
The reason I referred to the term "price" was due to the OP mentioning the cars low price.

I hope that MB uses the same low sub-vented rates of the base GLC's with a decent residual (ideally at 59-60% for 3/15). I can see them moving 50k units then.
I do not lease (never had) so to me pricing means MSRP (less discount, which won't be there for EQC, at least initially) and as such EQC is priced close (if not exactly) to where similarly equipped and performing GLC43 is priced.

While MB is the last to the game (compared to those already out with all electric SUVs) they have the best IMHO (and best priced) overall all-electric "normal" SUV today if ones driving needs can be satisfied with only overnight charging. (Tesla's Model X Insane version is hugely outperforming but is also priced twice as much). However, I am not and have never been an early adopter of any revolutionary technology and mainly because of the amount of time it takes to charge EQC with its shorter range as compared to a Tesla, which is IMHO the only (but very important useable) Model X's advantage over EQC, it is not on my horizon any time soon. Of course I am bias to Mercedes and won't drive anything else and hope petrol engined cars will still be around for the remainder of my lifetime, unless they can figure out how to charge a battery on a go much quicker.

Old 12-05-2019, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

We lease as we switch cars every 2 years or so and higher-end models have brutal depreciation. Lease acts as a hedge against that.
I just saw this again yesterday where another forum member is selling his few months old S63 with 2k miles on it. Over $200k into the car looking for $140k.
This is the worst case scenario of course but eye watering nonetheless.
Old 12-05-2019, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes, if one keeps the car only a few months, then one gets screwed, but I assume when $200K is spent on a car, there's a good enough reserve left. Lease on a "typical" $200K Mercedes (like AMG GT R) is about $4400/month, which is > $100K+ in 2 years. Still a lot of money unless one can write it off, hence a lease. I can't, hence I buy (but not a $200K or anywhere close to it).

Back to Op's post, EQC is priced very well especially considering its styling (in/out), equipment and still unmatched IMHO fit and finish that I expect from a true MB. I would have bought it (once available) in a heart beat if not for relatively low range and relatively slow charging. Having said that, it actually does fit the way and where I drive - no longer drive long distances and only in warm climate. I may consider it for second/third MY once first year's gremlins are sorted out. But for now, I still like my petrol.
Old 12-05-2019, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, if one keeps the car only a few months, then one gets screwed, but I assume when $200K is spent on a car, there's a good enough reserve left. Lease on a "typical" $200K Mercedes (like AMG GT R) is about $4400/month, which is > $100K+ in 2 years. Still a lot of money unless one can write it off, hence a lease. I can't, hence I buy (but not a $200K or anywhere close to it).

Back to Op's post, EQC is priced very well especially considering its styling (in/out), equipment and still unmatched IMHO fit and finish that I expect from a true MB. I would have bought it (once available) in a heart beat if not for relatively low range and relatively slow charging. Having said that, it actually does fit the way and where I drive - no longer drive long distances and only in warm climate. I may consider it for second/third MY once first year's gremlins are sorted out. But for now, I still like my petrol.
Agreed, back to the EQC
I like the idea of EV's and have no long range needs. The supercharger network around Minneapolis is poor anyway, even for Tesla's. I was the first one on the list of our dealer which then was cancelled after 9 months or so since MB is supposed to go to a direct selling model via dealer delivery. We'll see...
So far I am pleased to see that the car looks decent and has the exclusive Nappa option (diamond stitched) that I can't even get on the GLS580. All for under $80k and then $7500 off. So pricing is good. If lease rates are high, however, I can get a pricier GLS450 for the same money.
The unknown is the direct model that will likely not allow me to get the discounts I am used to from the dealer. This could be a big negative.

Old 12-05-2019, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB is supposed to go to a direct selling model via dealer delivery.
So MB will be selling EQC ala Tesla's direct selling? Interesting. Hopefully there will be a "test" car available at dealers since it sounds like they will not be able to order them into their inventories. This means MSRP, but they've already priced it well. At least there's a local dealer that will provide MB loaner for service/repair if need be.

Last edited by threeMBs; 12-05-2019 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-05-2019, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

So MB will be selling EQC ala Tesla's direct selling? Interesting. Hopefully there will be a "test" car available at dealers since it sounds like they will not be able to order them into their inventories. This means MSRP, but they've already priced it well. At least there's a local dealer that will provide MB loaner for service/repair if need be.
Our dealer was confused and couldn't quite explain the system but if it follows the model MB uses in Australia, then the transaction is done online a la Tesla with delivery and service via local dealers as always. Not sure how enthusiastic those dealers will be. I suppose it depends on their incentives. But I am used to get 10-15% off list on cars, so this doesn't appear to be a desirable model for us...