EQC electric SUV New All electric SUV for 2020

EQC 400 - early ownership observations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2021, 07:06 AM

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
W213 Night Edition 220d. (ML250 SLK350AMG)
Originally Posted by Natroth
HI mate,
Have they fixed this yet?
As I understand it, that if you’re in location A and you put in location B which is further than the 400km your EQC can do, the MBUX doesn’t advise you where to stop on the way so you can’t maximise your journey?

Thanks.

Your understanding is correct, sadly. You need to be plan every longer drive using alternative technologies. That said, in Australia, nearly all of the charging outlets are way off the freeways so when it is time to recharge you need to leave the freeway to find them and then re-enter several kilometres down the track.

I eventually got to speak to an MBUX Technician at Melbourne MB Head Office. He confirmed that the "D-Auto" service will remain disabled for mapping in Australia and the MBUX charger location database is a mix of Nissan/Mercedes locations that cannot be sorted, also these are up to 18mths old. He then added that future models will move to Google mapping so the problem will become redundant. This means that MB has no interest in correcting this for current models. Once again, shortchanged by MB as they see fit. I now use an assortment of EV phone apps through carplay to overcome the MB MBUX shortcomings
Thanks, I think I will wait until what they release with the EQE / better charging infrastructure as I travel between Melbourne and Mallacoota and this remote part of Victoria has no real local charging stations or appropriate ones along the destination. The W213 is doing me good, but there is an itch there....

Thanks for your review and posts, I have found them to be most informative. As a usual early adopter myself, I hadn't in this time with MB. I did have a Mitsubishi iMiev when they were released all those years ago and I was a garage orphan (those who cannot charge at home). The tech has come such a long way.
The following users liked this post:
Natroth (08-29-2021)
Old 09-17-2021, 11:18 PM

Received 77 Likes on 29 Posts
EQC400
RANDOM update on my EQC400

I have lived with the EQC400 for over a year now, including a lot of COVID lockdown time. Currently, in Sydney, I have a 5 kilometer limit on travel from my home so I could just make it to my MB dealer without attracting attention. So, out of complete boredom, I decided to get my EQC updated for software and mapping. I was very surprised at all the updates I got as I took the car to them without any notification/recall from MB:
  • MBUX upgrade to V81
  • GPS map and charging point upgrade
  • Hermes module upgrade
  • Powertrain control unit upgrade
  • Electronic level control software upgrade
  • audio upgrade
When I got the car back, I spent an hour in the MB carpark going through all the pairing and option setting for every aspect of the car as they had all been wiped during the upgrades.

I continued to chase a replacement camera for my augmented reality view which regularly fogs up, but no luck yet. I am told there are no parts. Sadly, I hoped that ALL these upgrades would give me back my D-AUTO function but it is still disabled I understand that the new EQA has D-AUTO so don't understand why the EQC has not had its software adjusted.

In Australia, there has been a substantial investment in charging station infrastructure from multiple providers so range anxiety is a lot less than it was a year ago.

With regard to driving/owning an EQC; the car continues to be tight and rattle-free and regularly returns over 420km in range based on regular one-pedal driving and a warm southern hemisphere climate. I have not found any quirk or driving characteristic that would lead me to sell/change the car, rather the opposite. My Lexus SC430 is getting a lot fewer kilometers driving these days as the EQC is my go-to daily driver. I was given a Mercedes E300 as a loaner while they upgraded my EQC and was shocked by how noisy it was in the cabin and how much the 2litre turbo labored to move the car. I was very happy to get back into the EQC.

So far, so good!

Last edited by Natroth; 12-08-2021 at 07:29 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Natroth:
iSteve (09-18-2021), parkwood (09-19-2021)
Old 09-24-2021, 04:25 AM

EQC400
I have no D-AUTO

Finally, a response from MB about my missing D-AUTO
I have finally, a year later, received an answer as to why Australia had D-Auto disabled in EQC400's. MB used 2D maps without "topographical elevations" as they rushed to throw mapping together for Australia. Due to this, the car does not know if it is going uphill or downhill therefore cannot maximize regeneration based on elevation. This has already been fixed in the new EQA models but a retrofit is not immediately planned for the EQC400 My disappointment is that MB could have told me that a year ago and I would have been unhappy but satisfied. The values of MB are Passion, Respect, Integrity, Discipline, and Excellence but little of these values are shown to customers when they continually and arrogantly hide cogent facts about our cars from us. I have been told for the past year that corporate "privacy and confidentiality" was the reason that MB could not share vehicle "differences" around the world. If we are to buy our cars from the internet in the future then there needs to be greater transparency about these differences such as no D-AUTO and removing "self-parking" after purchase.

At least I still have self-parking, after my swag of software upgrades

Wassaby (09-24-2021)
Old 09-25-2021, 08:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes EQC - AMG 2021 80 kwh
Hello from Europe/Romania.

My EQC is brand new - AMG version.

Bucharest has a nightmare city, but I had 17-20 kWh fuel eficiency with my Nissan leaf.

With EQC I rarelly see less than 30 kWh.
Is like my car is broken :o

Today the trafic was good and I see 28 kWh on the LCD.

BTW, Merc has terrrible ergonomics with this steering wheel commands.
I hate them.
When I connect my Iphone the Radio stops and is a nightmare to get back to radio.

It took me 3 days to make Apps to work.
I had the app on the iPhone, but I needed to acces from may laptop Mercedes ME and accept the GDPR bulls***

My App is totally different and I have NO apple watch app, only classic notifications.

How can I check if I have EQC "D Auto" enabled?

Last edited by Courage; 09-25-2021 at 09:31 AM.
Old 09-25-2021, 01:26 PM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
EQC 4matic AMG line Premium Plus replacing S213 220d 4matic with airmatic
Hi

I am in France and finally picked up my EQC 400 4matic AMG Line with premium plus package last week. My mercedes me pages look different in the boxes that are included but that might be because our cars are specced quite differently. I do not have the collision detection box not the key deactivation. My car also has the driver assistance package and I think the premium or premuim plus here in france brings the keyless go function as well. I will try to research to see if you can choose what facilities appear in the mercedes me app but I am currently very happy with it but I have changed from an e class estate to the EQC and a c class before that so I have been using it for a long time. The EQC was added to the app and the e class removed whilst I was at the dealership and was really quick but yes sometimes you have to go into the mercedes me portal via a web browser to set things up like mercedes me charge. Your car is only shown as a sport and there is no registration number which is odd? Mine shows the model and the car reg no too.
Re d auto simply pull one of the steering wheel paddles, it does no matter which one, back towards you whilst in d and hold 3 seconds and d will change to d auto. The car has to be in d for it to switch in.
Yes I can see why you may be unhappy with the consumption but the EQC and leaf are totally different cars for a start the EQC weighs 2,555 kg or mine does with its towbar! The leaf is a smaller lighter car designed for city trips the EQC is more of a long distance car. Over 599 km my average is 21.7kwh/100km so a totally different experience to you and I am really happy. I have seen below 19kwh on a couple of journeys but short trips to my local village are poor as it is uphill and only 4km away. I am using the mercedes app eco coach which has some surprising advice re the battery and levels of charging etc. Have a look at it and use d auto next time you are out and let the car work out itself the braking, coasting ratio. If you have never used a car with any sort of self driving it is a bit strange and even nerve wracking at first but I find it works well and my consumption is below the WLTP figures helped no doubt by the fact I mainly drive on country roads with a 90km speed limit and little traffic so the odds are stacked in my favour.
No complaints re the steering wheel buttons but I have been living with that design for 3yrs plus now as the e. class is the same. I think the EQC is a great car, suffers from being an SUV in terms of consumption and a slightly joggly ride over certain surfaces but overall a very good car. But if I was you I may not be so happy. Have a look for d auto and let us know how you get on.
Old 09-25-2021, 01:32 PM

Yes, now I've seen the D-Auto and dI'll try tomorrow.
Next week I'll try a longer road.

So, you have the same iPhone App?
Apple Watch app Mercedes ME?
Old 09-25-2021, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Courage
Yes, now I've seen the D-Auto and dI'll try tomorrow.
Next week I'll try a longer road.

So, you have the same iPhone App?
Apple Watch app Mercedes ME?
Sorry no being silly here did not take that in I use the app on my iphone and ipad not on an apple watch of course it may look different on that, on the ipad it will only show in portrait mode🙄 I will try the radio tomorrow when the iphone is connected to apple car play and see if i can toggle between them. Do not like having to plug in the iphone but at least it keeps the phone charged but as the car has the wireless charger as well that is not really an issue…..let us know how you get on re d auto. Hopefully it may ease the consumption a bit. City driving can be a nightmare of acceleration and stopping every 30 seconds I know.
Old 09-25-2021, 02:01 PM

Your car is only shown as a sport and there is no registration number which is odd?
I have temporary "red number" until 21 October.
Old 09-28-2021, 12:26 PM

Well, bad news!

I really hope my car is broken ;(

Cruise control 130 km/h for 55 km - legal limit => 30 kWh/100 km

This figuyre is huge = range of 260 km with full tank.

Can any of you test fuel economy at 130 km/h?

EQC fuel economy
Old 09-29-2021, 12:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes
Nope, your car is good )) 130 km/h and 30kW is totally good number for EQC. Honestly it should be even higher like 35 kW. Any EV car will spend more kW when u drive more than 100 km/h
Old 09-30-2021, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by pinkihub
Nope, your car is good )) 130 km/h and 30kW is totally good number for EQC. Honestly it should be even higher like 35 kW. Any EV car will spend more kW when u drive more than 100 km/h
sadly, this is true

see the attached image
Old 12-08-2021, 04:25 AM

EQC400
Water, water everywhere, nor any drop to drink

NSW, in Australia has severe flooding from excess rain at the moment. This did not stop us from touring the regional wineries. The photo attached is the main highway through Mudgee and is under water. Driving through the water my partner would not touch anything metal for fear of electrocution. I was watching all the warning lights 😱. The water was half a metre deep in places, well up to the batteries. I am glad to report that the EQC seems to be waterproof and we were not electrocuted 😀.

Old 12-08-2021, 12:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,391 Likes on 2,039 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823
NSW, in Australia has severe flooding from excess rain at the moment. This did not stop us from touring the regional wineries. The photo attached is the main highway through Mudgee and is under water. Driving through the water my partner would not touch anything metal for fear of electrocution. I was watching all the warning lights 😱. The water was half a metre deep in places, well up to the batteries. I am glad to report that the EQC seems to be waterproof and we were not electrocuted 😀.

Impressive but I personally wouldn't do that ever even with electric cars (but that is just me though).There are no engine air intakes as there isn't an internal combustion engine but it is generally not recommended (in my opinion). There is still risk of water getting inside the electrical systems depending on the bow wave. I once saw two videos that someone had their Tesla totaled because of the flood (it was half submerged not fully submerged though) in British Columbia so it is certainly not waterproof. Another video was a Taycan going through a ford, it didn't survive. I guess it depends on luck.

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 12-08-2021 at 12:03 PM.
Old 12-08-2021, 12:04 PM

I'm still waiting for my plastic engine cover and Augmented Reality camera

Efficiency? There is none!

I have 35kwh/100km now, In the city ;(
Old 12-08-2021, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 361 Likes on 298 Posts
1991 190E 2.3

You were incredibly lucky. Electric cars are not waterproof. You should never deliberately drive into such a large amount of water. I think you've now used up 1 of your 9 lives with this experience, imho.
Old 12-08-2021, 07:20 PM

EQC400
I always drive responsibly! 😉 Note the location the photo was taken from. I had the wife walk ahead to check for depth, potholes, water snakes, etc before driving through. I even slowed down as I drove past her: very responsible 😘

Last edited by Natroth; 12-08-2021 at 07:37 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Natroth:
mickhoog (06-08-2022), parkwood (04-01-2022)
Old 12-09-2021, 12:44 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,391 Likes on 2,039 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823
Removed. Content no longer relevant or up-to-date to the topic discussed.

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 12-14-2021 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Removed. Content no longer relevant or up-to-date to the topic discussed.
Old 12-09-2021, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1991 190E 2.3
I always drive responsibly! 😉 Note the location the photo was taken from. I had the wife walk ahead to check for depth, potholes, water snakes, etc before driving through. I even slowed down as I drove past her: very responsible 😘
Sorry but driving an electric powered vehicle or even a modern ICE vehicle with all of their electrical systems through that much water will never be responsible. You were really lucky this time. You might not be so lucky if there's ever a next time. Just sayin'.
Old 06-04-2022, 03:01 AM

EQC400
Originally Posted by 190Efan
Sorry but driving an electric powered vehicle or even a modern ICE vehicle with all of their electrical systems through that much water will never be responsible. You were really lucky this time. You might not be so lucky if there's ever a next time. Just sayin'.
Naaahh!!!
If the car couldn't drive through this then it would have no hope at 110kph in a rainstorm on the freeway......
Old 06-04-2022, 03:46 AM

EQC400
So,
I have now owned the EQC400 for TWO years and 20,000km.
Those two years have seen the arrival of a few new EV's to Australia, many of which I have driven under the heading of "maybe upgrading". If you are comparing apples with apples, then the MG ZS EV, Ioniq 5, and Tesla 3 and Y are not in the same league. The Porsche Taycan is a superior handling competitor but not as practical as a daily driver, with the same range. The 2nd-gen Jaguar I-Pace is more confident on the road but not a luxury car inside. A key point is that the "range" across all the new EV's is still not much more than 400 genuine km and the EQC regularly returns a conservative 370km. Maybe the new EQE will challenge this but it is not here yet and not an SUV. I have had no great warranty issues with the car and no life-threatening recalls. The EQC has not developed any annoying squeaks or groans. My tyres are at 50% which is indicative of a more eco/serene driving style that the car eases you into, except for reminding various turbo 4 cylinder ICE and annoying V8 vehicles that their day in the sun is over: EV's rule!!!

Range anxiety in Australia is more due to a lack of government enthusiasm to embrace EV's but this is also changing with a recent change of government. I am holding my breath a bit for Tesla to open its charging stations to all EV"S )) That said, I have a home charger so every time I leave home I have a full battery.

What can I say? I am still enjoying the EQC, firstly as a very high-quality Mercedes and secondly as an electric supercar, all 300kw, 2.5tonne, and 760nm of it.....................

The following 3 users liked this post by Natroth:
mickhoog (06-08-2022), parkwood (06-04-2022), Wassaby (06-08-2022)
Old 06-04-2022, 03:53 AM

My EQC has 12 000 Km in the last 9 months, but I believe mine is broken or I have a heavy foot.
In the city (a lot of stop & go), I rarely see less than 30 Kwh/100km so, the real range for me is less than 300 km.

On the highway @130km/h I see 30 kWh/100km in the summer and 33-35 in the winter (less than +8 C)

So... I'm not happy at all with the range.

I'm waiting for my Tesla Model Y LR to be delivered this month and I'll come back with impressions.

EQC is in theory my wife's car.
Old 06-04-2022, 05:28 PM

Sorry but I think you have a very heavy foot. I regularly see below WLTP figures and over 8417km the average is 24.3kwh and I do quite a few short journeys uphill to my local village of only 4km so the av will be distorted by that. On a recent motorway stretch over 150km the car was returning 25kwh/100km at 132km.
The car is heavy but also very fast but that speed will come at a price of range so if you zip fast around in town traffic and if there are lots of stop starts it will use more than mine which on longer journeys cruises on fairly empty roads usually around 92km.
To anyone reading this I would say if you want to drive hard and sporty but more efficiently this may not be the right car not least because it is a heavy SUV but I am very satisfied with the car’s efficiency and range which works for me.
Natroth (06-04-2022)
Old 06-04-2022, 05:39 PM

Yours was the first detailed review I read when I started looking and considering the EQC and helped me decide to get one. Your latest assessment is one I totally share. Elements of the car were not totally to my taste and I felt I was going backwards a bit on the basis of was going from an e class to a c class but 8mths on I have no regrets at all and am in no great rush to change and shall await the revision before deciding whether I will change to an e class or stay with a revised EQC. Mercedes were late to the party but they arrived with a proper fully formed electric Mercedes’.
The following 2 users liked this post by parkwood:
mickhoog (06-08-2022), Natroth (06-04-2022)
Old 06-05-2022, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1991 190E 2.3
Naaahh!!!
If the car couldn't drive through this then it would have no hope at 110kph in a rainstorm on the freeway......
You are seriously mistaken. I hope you don't have to learn the hard way.
Old 06-05-2022, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1991 190E 2.3
Originally Posted by Courage
My EQC has 12 000 Km in the last 9 months, but I believe mine is broken or I have a heavy foot.
In the city (a lot of stop & go), I rarely see less than 30 Kwh/100km so, the real range for me is less than 300 km.

On the highway @130km/h I see 30 kWh/100km in the summer and 33-35 in the winter (less than +8 C)

So... I'm not happy at all with the range.

I'm waiting for my Tesla Model Y LR to be delivered this month and I'll come back with impressions.

EQC is in theory my wife's car.
Tesla's poor build quality and poor response to recall issues is no comparison to superior MB.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: EQC 400 - early ownership observations