EQC electric SUV New All electric SUV for 2020

To buy or not to buy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2021, 01:46 PM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
EQC 4matic AMG line Premium Plus replacing S213 220d 4matic with airmatic
To buy or not to buy

I have had the opportunity to test drive an EQC in France for 2 days. My lease on an e class estate (break/wagon) is up in Sept and I have to decide whether to change or keep it. The current car has everything I want incl air suspension and 4matic and apart from road noise I am very happy with it. Currently Mercedes France only offers a hybrid in RWD no air matic, and the only 4 matic options are an E400 which attracts a one off tax penalty of 11,488 euros payable at the time of registration or an All Road which is has a tax penalty of 3124 euros and will be in reality not much more than a cosmetic change of what I have already.

I have been interested in transitioning via hybrid to electric and had thought the hybrid option was the next logical step but the absence of 4 matic is a deal breaker for me plus the space taken up be the battery reduces the functionality of an estate. I am not particularly enamoured of SUV and have always thought an estate a better option especially after running a GLK for 3yrs. Finally I am concerned about actually buying my existing car which represents a top end vehicle in the rural area that I live so any potential resale market is smaller than say in a large town/ or city plus France is moving quite rapidly to constraining the sale and use of diesel cars with all sorts of access restrictions to cities and conurbations on high pollution days and the raising of fuel taxes making diesel more expensive. I could end up with a car that is difficult to sell on. So this is the background to my decision to test drive the EQC a car that did not really fulfil any of the criteria I was looking for and is substantially more expensive than an e class replacement.

We only have 1 model here the AMG line which can be optioned with a premium or premium plus pack and the driving assistance package. It is possible to have a tow bar fitted. The test vehicle of course was premium plus spec but this is what I would order as it matches my e class specification so in effect all the technology you would want is included. The car feels closer to an e class in size inside than I expected with plenty of rear space. Seating is more sit up and beg though but very comfortable. The driver seat and wheel move to aid access whereas it is just the wheel on my e. The boot is smaller than the e, but is still reasonably close in terms of length. Most important though is the driving experience which is absolutely excellent. I transitioned into driving one peddle mode almost immediately it just all comes together seamlessly and intuitively. Suspension is only air at the rear but it was as comfortable and well controlled as the e. There was no noticeable joggling to the ride over and above the e on the same roads as reported in some reviews. Road noise is slightly reduced the one thing I find very irrititating in my e (with the acoustic pack) given its price. The same surfaces set off the noise which are obviously tyre and suspension generated but the additional sound damping they have put in stop it reaching the crescendo the e achieves, it was however an area where I think they can still do better. It is totally surface related so some roads are gloriously quiet in the e but the rural roads which are just surface dressed every other year can be almost unbearable as the tyres scrape and bounce across the ridged or scrabby surface. On a good road the EQC is quieter still very cocooning. The electric motor is inaudible at town speeds just a little audible if you concentrate when accelerating to join say a motorway. You would not hear it at all if you had the radio or any music on. The car does not feel any heavier than the e despite its additional 500kg weight and felt quite agile on some of the twisty sections we have.The acceleration is excellent but also very controlled it will go fast but it will also respond gently if you want. My partner and I managed over 200km over the 2 days weather was cold and damp around 8 deg C. I plugged in once at a local supermarket for about 20mins (beleive it or not for free!) I think it may have been home wallbox speed of recharge at around 7.2kw. Every time I was at home I plugged it into the house mains so the slowest recharge possible. It managed 60% to 93% overnight over about 14hrs so a home wallbox is a must I think so that is additional expense. I was able to keep the range around 280km each time I took it out and I let it drop to about 200 on the first day before doing the overnight charge. Around town at slow speeds it is very quiet and serene. Regen did add km back but I did not actually study it closely but used one pedal driving effortlessly. The MBUX seems quick and fast and again intuitive so as an existing Mercedes driver everything came to hand and the differences where easy to understand. The flux view is informative showing whether the car is using FWD or RWD or 4WD and discharging or regenerating. 4WD kicked in a lot on spirited driving around bends. I could not tell you by feel what mode the car was in but it did not feel different to the e with its permanent 4WD. I did not use the navigation system but know it will plan routes taking into account recharging points. It was a very stormy 2 days and on 2 occasions when on dual lane and motorway there was really noticeable buffeting wind noise but I think that was a climatic effect as on one section of motorway coming straight back it was a subdued as in the e.

Things I did not like where the absence of the seat fold down switches at the side of the seats just some ugly plates covering holes that clearly were designed to house the switches. The lack of a replacement option for the glossy black centre console (you can change the door trim why not the wretched console)the fact it does not come with a reversible carpet in the boot even my GLK did! The lack of dedicated cable storage, unplugging after loading shopping the cable, which is heavy and has large connectors on it, then had to be put on the shopping and it was wet...the car also had a running board which made it hard to step in and out. I had to step on the board and then in the car to stop scraping mud all over my trousers it just quickly became a pain ie in the first day of testing the car , may not be an issue for taller people of course. And finally it has a glass sunroof but it is not panoramic and just looks like the sunroofs of the 80’s and 90’s a bit naff but I could live with it.

The car is around 9,000 euro more here than a highly spec e class or e hybrid so even taking out the cost of the battery one has every right to expect the car to be of the same quality level as the e in terms of trim and to me it just scrapes by but only just. Hard to pinpoint what makes me feel that but I think the design of the e is luxurious this design feels a bit more workaday. Also the screen is narrower in height than in the e so that maybe a factor. The materials are all good so I might be nitpicking a bit but it is my response to the feel of the car.

France has a reasonable electric charging network but as more people buy electric cars there are likely to be some pinch points but for my day to day life the EQC range is fine but a home wallbox is a must. The Mercedes me charge system works well here in Europe so 1 account to cover everyone’s chargers makes it all so simple. Longer distances will require planning and may involve a change in behaviour ie having to park where one would not normally to be able to charge ie in a tourist town I usually park on the outskirts not right the centre in a tourist car park. Stopping on journeys when you would normally not but I am semi retired so it is far less of an issue for me than those with a family constrained to holidays in peak periods when I avoid travelling.

I am certain electric cars are the future and this car is well balanced everything you would want a Mercedes to be really albeit there are always small niggles but they are for me all to do with trim. The drive is just as I would expect it to be calm powerful and relaxing. The advertising strap line of “electric now has a Mercedes” is apt. I have no doubt bigger better batteries are on the way which is why I would never buy this car but I am happy to lease it. My insurers say it is very marginally cheaper to insure (though it looks as if the excess is increased) and on my consumption with the car and the cost of electricity v diesel at the moment it will be about 50% less per kilometre in fuel.

My dealer has offered a discount in line with those on my previous cars (this will be my 4th purchase with them) so it seems supply is not an issue. I am seeing them in a couple of weeks and at this stage think I will be ordering one on a straight lease this time as opposed to a lease with an option to buy as I would not wish to take the risk and no doubt range etc will be vastly improved and a new model will probably be out as well or blessed be there maybe an estate! (Have to say I think that unlikely think their days are numbered)

So my advice to anyone is if you can, give one of these a test drive and if you are electric sceptic I think you may be convinced otherwise. I have been and I think the additional investment is worth making for me at least.
The following 4 users liked this post by parkwood:
Benzgurl#1 (01-30-2022), jcapotos (03-27-2021), mickhoog (08-25-2021), Natroth (04-02-2021)
Old 03-29-2021, 09:41 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML 400
So are you buying it?
Old 03-30-2021, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by studerim
So are you buying it?
still not decided am researching charge locations for some of my likely longer journeys. My sales rep is on holiday this week so I have some time to reflect
Old 04-02-2021, 06:30 AM

Received 77 Likes on 29 Posts
EQC400
Amusingly, your conundrum in France echos mine in Australia.
I have owned an EQC400 for one year now so speak with great depth of experience

The EQC400 is a well-built bit of 21st-century driving kit with most of the features that define luxury motoring AND it is electric (Yes, you pay for it).
Don't buy the running boards as the mud is still on several of my trousers, with bits of skin and blood.
Buy the home charger! so every time you leave the car is fully charged.
I map out my longer drives using the "ChargePoint" app to find elusive charging stations and so far have not run out of electricity
I have not yet had to join a queue for recharging but live in fear of it as interest in EV's increases (early adoption sucks)
I now book only ground floor motel rooms when travelling so I can "plugin" to my room, if the need be, without creating any trip hazards. I carry striped tape to cross pathways
I find it an oxymoron to discuss the amazing speed of the car in the same breath as single pedal range-extending driving but I do use both features regularly

It is all a grand adventure and I am enjoying the whole learning curve that comes with EV ownership. Every time I stop to recharge I spend more time sharing EV knowledge and stories than refueling. The EQC400 gets more attention when sitting alongside a Tesla or an E-Tron. Improvements in range and technology in the EV space will be exponential over the next 10 years so any buying decision now, in these embryonic EV years, is purely for the adventure and bragging rights of owning an EV.

Buy the EQC400, tell the kids their inheritance will be slightly less (given current interest rates and car depreciation rates) and enjoy the car.

The following 2 users liked this post by Natroth:
Benzgurl#1 (01-30-2022), mickhoog (08-25-2021)
Old 04-07-2021, 05:02 PM

Thanks for all your advice your posts have been very useful. We have just gone into another confinement here in France and I have a vaccination scheduled for next week so I have put the project on hold for a couple of weeks. But really it is about sorting the figures now, the car and whole electric adventure beckons😉
Old 04-19-2021, 04:37 AM

Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts
16 GLE400 4matic
Where in the same boat. My wife really want's one. I have to wait till it reaches the USA. I don't know to much about them yet and do you really have to upgrade the home charging wallbox?
Old 04-23-2021, 06:51 AM

An update I have ordered an EQC expected end of July. I was offered a deal I could not refuse incl the flexibility to change in 18mths for no penalty. The EQC is not my first choice but it is the only useable electric choice available to me at this point in time but the upcoming EQE although only a saloon will be a better compromise for me I think so something to look forward too. I have stumbled across a U.K. forum where new owners are complaining about the deactivation of park assist and active lane change assist due to the EU adoption of the latest world wide regs UN R 79 which the current systems it seems do not comply with. Seems people were unaware it was happening inc the dealerships! As yet my dealer cannot confirm if my car will be affected or not but they have seen some cars across models arrive with the system and some deactivated so it all seems a mess.it is not a big deal for the park assist but I will be cross to loose the active lane assist something else which will make the car feel a lessor one to my e class. Still I have offloaded the diesel and can forget about any future restrictions users of such vehicles may face ( we have limitations on taking them into certain areas at certain time). Taking the advice of Natroth I have not ordered the running board much maligned everywhere in journalist reviews as well as user reviews! Re charging Mercedes are paying for the installation of a wallbox and yes it is an essential. Charging from empty to full on a home plug takes in excess of 30 hrs and does put a strain on the socket concerned. Here they advise you put in a dedicated strengthend socket but I shall have a 7.2kw wallbox. There is a tri phase supply to the house but it converts to monophase however in the future I may think about seeing if I could have a tri phase supply set up for the car if I get one with a bigger battery. Looking forward to discovering the world of electric think it will be a steep learning curve! Car is the AMG line premium plus with tow bar and driver assistance package in selenite grey (ashamed to say 3rd car in that colour&#129315
The following 3 users liked this post by parkwood:
Benzgurl#1 (01-30-2022), mickhoog (08-25-2021), Natroth (04-23-2021)
Old 08-21-2021, 02:33 PM

Finally the car is on it’s way the original delivery date having come and gone. It apparently “left the factory” yesterday at 13.00 and I take that to mean the build section of the factory and out to some delivery pen. My dealer expects it in 10 to 15 days we shall see. Timing is a pain as i really am busy the week of the 6th and will probably delay handover until the following week. At the moment the mercedes .fr site refers to a shortage of LTE chips and cars being delivered without but my dealer whilst looking at the computer screen says mine is coming fully built so fingers crossed. The thougt of running an electric car without full connectivity is not a happy one. So time to refresh all I read about the world electric so I can put it into practice with the EQC. I will be sorry to say goodbye to my e class and intend to return to the e class gamme once there is an electric choice available. The unveiling of the EQE in Sept is eagerly awaited by me. However one thing I would say is I have no regrets choosing electric, the EQC may not be my preferred choice but I am glad to be making the jump now and I think more must assoon as possible. The days of the ICE cars certainly in europe are numbered thankfully.
The following 2 users liked this post by parkwood:
mickhoog (08-25-2021), Natroth (08-21-2021)
Old 08-25-2021, 05:46 AM

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
W213 Night Edition 220d. (ML250 SLK350AMG)
Originally Posted by parkwood
Finally the car is on it’s way the original delivery date having come and gone. It apparently “left the factory” yesterday at 13.00 and I take that to mean the build section of the factory and out to some delivery pen. My dealer expects it in 10 to 15 days we shall see. Timing is a pain as i really am busy the week of the 6th and will probably delay handover until the following week. At the moment the mercedes .fr site refers to a shortage of LTE chips and cars being delivered without but my dealer whilst looking at the computer screen says mine is coming fully built so fingers crossed. The thougt of running an electric car without full connectivity is not a happy one. So time to refresh all I read about the world electric so I can put it into practice with the EQC. I will be sorry to say goodbye to my e class and intend to return to the e class gamme once there is an electric choice available. The unveiling of the EQE in Sept is eagerly awaited by me. However one thing I would say is I have no regrets choosing electric, the EQC may not be my preferred choice but I am glad to be making the jump now and I think more must assoon as possible. The days of the ICE cars certainly in europe are numbered thankfully.
The only change i have seen to the other spec sheets on the Aussie cars (non EQC) with the chip shortage is the deletion of Multibeam LED and also the interior assistant, and this is from September production onward.
I regular “spill over” the spec sheets and keep a watch on them.
The EQC one hasn’t changed and being that your production has already happened, I’m sure your dealer is right that it looks fully built.

I bet you’re looking forward to it.
The following 2 users liked this post by mickhoog:
Benzgurl#1 (01-30-2022), parkwood (08-25-2021)
Old 08-25-2021, 06:13 AM

Yes but I will really really miss the e class estate I have. Hopefully the superior drive of the EQC will outweigh all the trim niggles and its smaller size to make it enjoyable. I am already preparing mentally to swap it asap as my lease allows in 18mths😉
Old 09-27-2021, 03:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EQC
Hi,
Have you already received the car?
Regarding the line assist, what I think is being removed is the “automated lane change”. Don’t thing they remove the “automated lane alignment” when driving in “autonomous mode”.
My EQC has both and the “lane changer” is cool ,yes, but you only use it for show purposes, not day to day.
Old 09-27-2021, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by alamagar
Hi,
Have you already received the car?
Regarding the line assist, what I think is being removed is the “automated lane change”. Don’t thing they remove the “automated lane alignment” when driving in “autonomous mode”.
My EQC has both and the “lane changer” is cool ,yes, but you only use it for show purposes, not day to day.
Yes I used to use the active lane change assist occasionally in my e class but it is something one can live without.