Replacing front grille star badge

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2024, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eqe 350+
Replacing front grille star badge

Hi,
Is it possible to replace it as diy, because opening hood is not officially allowed? Frame has been cracked (don't know how) and now the badge is as in picture.

Old 02-04-2024, 07:44 PM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
2023 EQE SUV 4Matic
I would take it to MB. There are sensors behind the logo (distronic cover) that could need recalibration.
The following users liked this post:
Jahmetti (02-05-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 12:33 AM

Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts
23' EQS AMG
That's interesting. Do let me know if you find out. On some MB models like the EQS and EQE smooth logo, you can get a suction cup and twist it counterclockwise by about 15 degrees to remove the logo. I cannot confirm that on the EQS/EQE. Only the camera is attached to the logo. The radar mounts are around the logo, but the radar, itself, is directly behind the logo. You can open the hood, but you will not be able to get to it easily unless you remove the light bar, which is about 6 hex bits. I'm trying to find a secure way to prop the hood open so I can further explore removing my cracked camera on the logo. Otherwise, I might just get an authorize MB body shop to do it for me.
Jahmetti (02-19-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 11:55 AM

Received 219 Likes on 152 Posts
2023 EQE350 4MATIC, 2023 EQE 350 4MATIC SUV, 1995 E300 Diesel
Originally Posted by MB37
That's interesting. Do let me know if you find out. On some MB models like the EQS and EQE smooth logo, you can get a suction cup and twist it counterclockwise by about 15 degrees to remove the logo. I cannot confirm that on the EQS/EQE. Only the camera is attached to the logo. The radar mounts are around the logo, but the radar, itself, is directly behind the logo. You can open the hood, but you will not be able to get to it easily unless you remove the light bar, which is about 6 hex bits. I'm trying to find a secure way to prop the hood open so I can further explore removing my cracked camera on the logo. Otherwise, I might just get an authorize MB body shop to do it for me.
If you're removing the camera, one note on this is that the front camera itself needs to be recalibrated. That way, the 360° surround view will work correctly without unusual gaps or unexpected areas.
Old 02-20-2024, 10:42 AM

23' EQS AMG
Originally Posted by bytemaster0
If you're removing the camera, one note on this is that the front camera itself needs to be recalibrated. That way, the 360° surround view will work correctly without unusual gaps or unexpected areas.
I opened the hood and removed four T20 screws that hold the light bar down. That was the easy part to slide and lift the light bar out of the way. I was able to reach my hand down to feel for the camera, and can actually see it via a flashlight from above at an angle, but it looks like the radar apparatus and its mounts are directly behind the logo covering my direct view of the camera from above. I could see tabs for the logo, but it is mechanically cryptic if you don't know how the logo is attached or detached. I searched the internet, and there was a photo of a grille without the logo and a guy showing the inner parts, but I still cannot make out the logical attachment and how to safety detach it from the grille. I really need a video how to, or spend more time studying it.

If I can remove the logo alone, that will save a ton of time and some nice $$ change. You are right that calibration is needed, and I was quoted by the dealer for $280-300. If someone can just confirm that the logo can be twisted open with a suction cup.
The following 2 users liked this post by MB37:
bytemaster0 (02-20-2024), Jahmetti (02-20-2024)
Old 03-11-2024, 04:59 PM

EQE 350 (Euro version)
You need to remove the front bumper to get to the badge. It snaps in from the back. It took me about 3-4hr to remove and reinstall the bumper.
I replaced my grill with the amg grille so I had to transfer the badge to it.
Calibration is NOT needed. The radar is behind the badge but not attached to it. It is attached to the car. There is only a simple camera lens in the badge. It is snapped in place from behind. No big deal at all.
You can just barely see the new grille in the bottom of the picture. It comes without the badge.

Old 03-12-2024, 01:01 AM

Eqe 350+
Thank you Dorothee!
Old 03-26-2024, 09:43 PM

23' EQS AMG
Just an update. On my amg eqs, Sewell Collision MB (certified EQ) replaced my camera (on the logo) by removing light bar, and unclipping two clips behind the logo. He said the logo on the eqs has about 10 inserts. Once the clips are unclipped, you just pull or push the logo out. I was charged $100 for the labor, and $300 for the calibration since I am replacing the front camera with a new one. If someone can post pics to confirm what I was told, that would be great. The next time I need to replace the camera, I'll probably try to do it myself (self satisfaction) and then they someone to calibrate it.
Jahmetti (03-27-2024)
Old 06-04-2024, 10:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EQS580
Originally Posted by Dorothee
You need to remove the front bumper to get to the badge. It snaps in from the back. It took me about 3-4hr to remove and reinstall the bumper.
I replaced my grill with the amg grille so I had to transfer the badge to it.
Calibration is NOT needed. The radar is behind the badge but not attached to it. It is attached to the car. There is only a simple camera lens in the badge. It is snapped in place from behind. No big deal at all.
You can just barely see the new grille in the bottom of the picture. It comes without the badge.

Hi Dorothee, did you have to take the wheels off necessarily ? could you give us some pointers on how to remove the bumper ?