EQS SUV Forum for Discussion of EQS SUV

Is anyone starting to get frustrated with MB over the EQS SUV?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2022, 02:39 PM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
EQS
Is anyone starting to get frustrated with MB over the EQS SUV?

The CEO of Rivian was grilled over the price hikes, supply chain issues regarding the R1s and R1t but is Mercedes getting a free pass with their EQS SUV?

Here I am about 5 weeks before my EQS SUV goes into production and:
- no clue about pricing
- rumblings of third row seat being cancelled
- no confirmation that if we buy the vehicle without level 3 automation and if it is released next year, there's no way to upgrade the vehicle (who wants to buy a car that would literally be obsolete in a year from a full self driving perspective

I know it is a change of the times but I am not accustomed to spending $130-$150k on a vehicle and completely in the dark on it
Old 07-28-2022, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 402 Likes on 282 Posts
23 EQS 580 SUV, 19 X7 (sold), 17/14 GLS550 (sold) 13 GL550 (sold)
I hear you. MB should release pricing, ship demos to their dealerships, and get the configurator up and running.
Old 07-28-2022, 03:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
EQS
Agree it's late in the process. I would have expected to see driving demos on YouTube from the press well in advance of release.

I am being told August is the reveal on pricing and demos.

I am expecting the base price to be in line with the EQS sedan and we have the option pricing. I am hoping it might be less in the US based on location and currency conversion rates.

The only good thing is we are able to get allocation before the mass release when things will be backed up for a year like eon the iX.

Old 07-28-2022, 04:15 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 S Class
I'm really frustrated with MB, they should have configurator up and running by now with complete pricing information.
Old 07-28-2022, 07:16 PM

EQS
Originally Posted by Fromsf
I'm really frustrated with MB, they should have configurator up and running by now with complete pricing information.
FACT.... it's ridiculous
Old 07-28-2022, 07:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
EQS
It's closer on the German site, you can configure all electric SUV's except for the EQS but they have a page with some info. If you don't read German, load in chrome and click translate.

https://www.mercedes-benz.de/passeng...ge.module.html

You can configure the EQC online which is more than we can do in the US. https://www.mercedes-benz.de/passeng...s&emhmodel=EQC

Old 07-28-2022, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,585 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by thebigkat82
- no clue about pricing
This is fairly standard practice for MB, the SL just got US pricing today and was unveiled in October, the EQS SUV was unveiled in April, you'll still have some time to wait for pricing, we'll know more when the EQS SUV is released in Europe which is where it will receive its initial release months before the US. Also, being that this is an SUV version of the EQS Sedan and shares a great majority of parts and options, we can reasonably assume there will be a delta of at least anywhere from $5-10k difference in price between the two.
Since the release MB was upfront and confirmed that 3rd row seating would have limited availability, you will know whether your car has it or not once it is built.
- no confirmation that if we buy the vehicle without level 3 automation and if it is released next year, there's no way to upgrade the vehicle (who wants to buy a car that would literally be obsolete in a year from a full self driving perspective
Highly doubtful any EQS/S-Class' will be built with L3 in the next few months or even year. Even with level 3 automation, the limitations are very heavy in the US for the "self-driving" systems. It will definitely not be obsolete in a year, as we are not close to a full-self driving car. The MB Level 3 technology is for highway use only at the moment, and only at lower speeds, and has not even been certified for all 50 states. MB has stated that they are hoping to be certified in California and Nevada by late 2023, and will likely cost a very pretty penny.
I know it is a change of the times but I am not accustomed to spending $130-$150k on a vehicle and completely in the dark on it
Best advice is to never buy a first year product, always wait out for information. If you want the vehicle so badly, you will have to compromise on general information available.

Last edited by js_cls; 07-28-2022 at 07:42 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by js_cls:
Fromsf (07-28-2022), MB USA (07-28-2022)
Old 07-28-2022, 10:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 784 Likes on 504 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
The CEO of Rivian was grilled over the price hikes, supply chain issues regarding the R1s and R1t but is Mercedes getting a free pass with their EQS SUV?

- no clue about pricing

I can guarantee you one thing - there will be no upgrade path to Level 3 automation. I am not even sure there will be an upgrade path to the new MBOS operating system. MB Doesn't really do upgrades. If you want the latest functions, you have to buy a new car. This is disappointing but it is par for the course for these legacy brands. If they were on it, then Tesla would have some serious competition. Only the new entrants - Tesla, Lucid, Rivian offer upgradability.

I can forgive the third row seat. The ordering guide was up front about limited availability so I don't have a firm expectation that I will get it. I understand supply chain issues right now.

I agree with you also that the lack of pricing is sheer incompetence. I honestly think Mercedes has a second rate crew of people running this product launch. It's not hard to nail down pricing even in the current inflationary environment.
Old 07-29-2022, 09:02 AM

Received 132 Likes on 95 Posts
2023 Maybach GLS600, 2023 Bentley Bentayga, 2023 Genesis GV60, 2017 AMG GLS63
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
I agree with you also that the lack of pricing is sheer incompetence. I honestly think Mercedes has a second rate crew of people running this product launch. It's not hard to nail down pricing even in the current inflationary environment.
It’s important here to distinguish Mercedes corporate from MB USA. Mercedes sells in dozens of countries, as we know, and it’s up to each local market to decide on their configurations and configurator. Given to general lack of competence of Mercedes American employees compared to Mercedes German employees, this situation is predictable and consistent with the last 10+ years.
Old 07-29-2022, 09:08 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,400 Likes on 2,845 Posts
2012 CLS63
FACT.... it's ridiculous
Have you considered, I don't know, not buying it? There are MANY EV's to choose from
MB knows EXACTLY what they're doing in terms of what country gets what car and when.
Old 07-29-2022, 09:36 AM

EQS
Originally Posted by hyperion667
Have you considered, I don't know, not buying it? There are MANY EV's to choose from
MB knows EXACTLY what they're doing in terms of what country gets what car and when.
to my knowledge there are 3 EVs currently set to hit the market or on the market with 3rd rows

Model X- which I find hideous

R1S- I had a reservation on it and dropped it because I really didn't want to deal with a "startup" EV company

EQS SUV- check marked every box I was looking for as an EV Consumer

So I don't think there's that many options. Furthermore, it's not a good look on the brand itself when they don't communicate properly with their customer base, blaming the consumer is borderline ridiculous.
Old 07-29-2022, 05:20 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
--
Originally Posted by MB USA
It's closer on the German site, you can configure all electric SUV's except for the EQS but they have a page with some info. If you don't read German, load in chrome and click translate.

https://www.mercedes-benz.de/passeng...ge.module.html

You can configure the EQC online which is more than we can do in the US. https://www.mercedes-benz.de/passeng...s&emhmodel=EQC
That's been the same since intro, unfortunately. Garbage roll out, totally agree with others.