EQS SUV Forum for Discussion of EQS SUV

Burmeister Music System

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2022, 12:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2017 Acura NSX
Burmeister Music System

The sound system is very important to me. I want the best that I can get. Mercedes is known to have good systems. The first time I listened to the music system playing Sirus left me a bit disappointed. I tried adjusting the sound and was surprised that there was only Bass, Mid, and Treble. What about the Subwoofer? There is nothing in the sedan manual that describes the system. I did wind an internet description that says our system is 15 speakers at about 700 watts. But not a lot of info. It says there are two subwoofers in the front wheel well area. Why no adjustments? Anyway I went back to the dealership and asked to sit in the EQS SUV. It is not the 580, but I think the sound systems are all the same? There is the ability to define a specific individual preference. I went through the system and then listened to my Pandora via Bluetooth. I only brought a cable with USB not the smaller USC connector. Bottom line, the sound improved significantly. Perhaps it is just the difference between built in Sirus and Pandora off of my phone. I never thought of wireless Bluetooth as having any fidelity. The bass was much stronger. I would like to go back and listen some more.

TECHNICAL DETAILS

Burmester 3D Surround Sound System
AVAILABLE IN: C-CLASS, EQE, S-CLASS, S-CLASS MAYBACH, EQS

15 speakers, full-active
710 watt system output
Hybrid amplifier with analog filters in the high- and mid-frequency range and digital amplification in the low-frequency range for a natural, warm and substantial sound
3D sound enhances the sound experience by a further dimension
Personal sound profile to adjust your perfect sound
Setting of the listening position for the best sound experience on the selected seat
Vehicle noise compensation for a constant listening experience in any driving situation
The following users liked this post:
Utopia Texas (10-16-2022)
Old 10-16-2022, 06:20 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
EQS 580 SUV
The main reason for the average or low sound quality on SiriusXM is the heavily compressed satellite transmission format. The satellites have to use low bitrate and high compression to save on bandwidth, thus resulting in poor sound. The workaround I use is to stream SXM using their app from my phone , 10000% better quality Defeats the convenience of having it built in but I do like their programming. I’m addicted to Radio Andy shows.

You can get much better audio quality over Bluetooth. Try using something like a spatial audio playlist from Apple Music in the car.
Old 10-16-2022, 06:52 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
535i
Go to settings and set up your personal sound profile. It is a multi step wizard that puts together a configuration that results in significantly improved performance and audio quality.
Old 10-17-2022, 03:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2023 EQS 580 SUV Selenite Grey
Yes, do go through the sound profile settings wizard. I compared my profile to the Pure and 3D presets and it definitely sounds better. I also have a 2017 XC90 with the Bowers and Wilkins, I do have to say that the B&W does sound better than the Burmeister. Also to note, playing the same song on Spotify in carplay versus the Spotify App built into the Volvo, there is no comparison. When the Volvo Spotify App is used, the sound is drastically better whereas carplay feels flatter when directly comparing back to back. I have not spent enough time comparing the same with the EQS via CarPlay versus the built-in Online Music Apps and will post again once I compare. Also interested in trying out the new Apple Music Spatial Audio support that someone else posted about as well.
Old 10-17-2022, 03:12 PM

2017 Acura NSX
Originally Posted by mb_star
Yes, do go through the sound profile settings wizard. I compared my profile to the Pure and 3D presets and it definitely sounds better. I also have a 2017 XC90 with the Bowers and Wilkins, I do have to say that the B&W does sound better than the Burmeister. Also to note, playing the same song on Spotify in carplay versus the Spotify App built into the Volvo, there is no comparison. When the Volvo Spotify App is used, the sound is drastically better whereas carplay feels flatter when directly comparing back to back. I have not spent enough time comparing the same with the EQS via CarPlay versus the built-in Online Music Apps and will post again once I compare. Also interested in trying out the new Apple Music Spatial Audio support that someone else posted about as well.
I am so depressed in reading your experience with the Bowers & Wilkins in comparison to the Burmeister. I also had a 2017 XC90 T8 with the B&W. I thought it was amazing. Loved it. The 2020 Tesla Mod X just does not do it for me. I was hopping with all the hoopla that the new Dolby Atmos in the EQS SUV would be the equal if not better. This is almost a deal breaker for me. I understand the Burmeister 4D is said to be great. Why doesn't the Mercedes S level EQS SUV that sells for $125K have as good as my old 2017 $85k Volvo. So damn depressed.
Old 10-18-2022, 04:33 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
2023 Mercedes ESQ SUV 580 ● 2021 Volvo XC40 Recharge
I have a 580 on order for approx. February delivery. Currently my Tesla has a native Tidal app that is transmitted through it's LTE connection. Other than SiriusXM, what other native streaming music does the EQS SUV have? Does it have TuneIn? Or will we have to tether an iPhone through Bluetooth and use Carplay?
Old 10-18-2022, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 803 Likes on 635 Posts
AFAIK MBUX has TuneIn and Apple Music.
Old 10-18-2022, 05:56 PM

2017 Acura NSX
Here is a list of the built in streaming services:

Old 10-18-2022, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by drmanny3
Here is a list of the built in streaming services:
Thank you that, I really appreciate it.

Do you know if TuneIn is available? And secondly, how does the built-in music streaming get it's signal, through LTE cellular?
Old 10-18-2022, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 926 Likes on 606 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
Is there a site that compares Amazon, Apple, Spotify and Tidal in layman's language?
Old 10-18-2022, 09:08 PM

2017 Acura NSX
I am still trying to find out what cellular modem is in the car. From what I could find most Mercedes have 4g. 5g us really the way to go as it provides much better bandwidth and speed. I hope they did not cheap out. I believe that BMW iX 50 has the 5g chip. We will see. I am going to pursue with Mercedes. I am concerned that the Burmeister sound system is not up to speed in comparison to Bowers & Wilkins. No subwoofer adjustment and no specific mention of a subwoofer. Only 700 watts. I will follow up.
Old 10-19-2022, 12:16 PM

2017 Acura NSX
I contacted MB and was told the following:

The EQS line is currently using 4g. I was told that the MBU8 system/interface will be 5g
The current cellular provider for the EQS is TMobile. They charge $10 plus taxes for 2gigs of data and texts included. $20 for 5Gigs of data. This is if you do not have service through TMobile
Old 10-19-2022, 01:06 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
535i
What the difference between getting a dedicated mobile line Vs simply using the phone hotspot ?
Old 10-19-2022, 09:12 PM

2017 Acura NSX
Originally Posted by 580selblack
What the difference between getting a dedicated mobile line Vs simply using the phone hotspot ?
Yes you can use your phone as a hotspot. I am not sure if other services are tied to the car’s modem. Perhaps everything is a separate subscription. If so then no big deal. In the past with my Volvo ATT was the supplier. So I could add the car and have everyone share minutes. That won’t work now as TMobile has the contract/sim? Perhaps you are correct in just using your cell phone. Thanks
Old 10-19-2022, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 784 Likes on 504 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
The Burmester 4D is an outstanding sound system.

However the Burmerster 3D is not that good. It’s more on par with B&O and stuff like that.

The B&W in the BMW 7 series and the McIntosh in the Jeep Grand Wagoneer are both better than the EQS Burmester 3D.
Old 10-21-2022, 11:01 AM

Received 445 Likes on 279 Posts
EQS 450+
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
The Burmester 4D is an outstanding sound system.

However the Burmerster 3D is not that good. It’s more on par with B&O and stuff like that.

The B&W in the BMW 7 series and the McIntosh in the Jeep Grand Wagoneer are both better than the EQS Burmester 3D.
I respect your opinions very much, but disagree with part of what you said. Haven't heard the Jeep McIntosh, but have one at home powering my Klipsch speakers. I also drove an M550 with the Bowers and Wilkens stereo for three years, and in my opinion, the Burmester in my EQS has far better sound quality and adjustability than did the B&W. I do, however, have 73 year old ears.
Old 10-22-2022, 12:35 AM

2017 Acura NSX
Hey, my ears are 75-so here is hoping I have the same sense of music fidelity you have witnessed. The music system is really important to me. I understand that Apple Music now has the ability to play Dolby Atmos music. That would be interesting to try out. You can get a 30 day trial.
Manny
Old 12-06-2022, 03:26 PM

Is TuneIn still available natively within MBUX of the EQS?
Old 12-06-2022, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Would some patient person with the soul of a teacher please explain some basics? I am a low-end user of infotainment. If 1) the radio plays built-in Sirius by satellite, 2) my phone pairs for hands-free speaker/microphone use, and 3) the built-in Nav system works, that's about all I need. No streaming and no other interaction with my phone. I read above that someone suggested I would need a plan with TMobile. For what purpose or purposes, please? I don't have a separate airtime account for any of my current cars (2015-2018 model years) where all three of the above features work perfectly.
stewartmmorris (12-07-2022)
Old 12-06-2022, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 402 Likes on 282 Posts
23 EQS 580 SUV, 19 X7 (sold), 17/14 GLS550 (sold) 13 GL550 (sold)
You do not need any additional plan with T-Mobile to use your phone in the car. Your phone will provide access to their Netwerk for anything you use off the phone. You did not mention if you’re using CarPlay or android auto, but if you do that too would be provided through the phone and no additional plan would be needed. The only time you would need to purchase an additional plan is if you wanted Wi-Fi directly inside the car for other devices, which again can be done by the phone, at least with an iPhone.
Sportstick (12-06-2022)
Old 12-06-2022, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by JoeMa
You do not need any additional plan with T-Mobile to use your phone in the car. Your phone will provide access to their Netwerk for anything you use off the phone. You did not mention if you’re using CarPlay or android auto, but if you do that too would be provided through the phone and no additional plan would be needed. The only time you would need to purchase an additional plan is if you wanted Wi-Fi directly inside the car for other devices, which again can be done by the phone, at least with an iPhone.
Thank you! I get it. I won’t need an additional plan after all. I don’t even use CarPlay with my Verizon iPhone and there are no other devices in my car. Appreciate the explanation!
Old 12-07-2022, 03:59 PM

Received 100 Likes on 75 Posts
EQE SUV 500 4Matic
I'm surprised with all this "big sound system" discussion nobody is concerned about range effect. I know big amps can be a heavy draw on 12v batteries, at least.