EQS SUV Forum for Discussion of EQS SUV

Brake dust on EQS SUV wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2022, 10:42 PM

Received 261 Likes on 154 Posts
EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Originally Posted by SW20S
This is not accurate. In an ICE S Class when the driver applies the brakes, braking is applied at all 4 corners. When the Distronic applies brakes to maintain distance and speed and not in an abrupt stop it only applies the rear brakes.

In the EQS, my guess is that Distronic also uses the rear friction brakes, and you would be correct that when the driver applies the brakes or you use regen braking the friction brakes are only applied if necessary. That would explain why you see brake dust on the rear wheels when you are using distronic.
I agree, I overlooked the one axle versus two axle braking difference when comparing driver and Distronic braking.

On the recent 800 mile trip where I experienced almost no rear wheel brake dust I consciously avoided using ASA but honestly don't remember how much of the trip was made with Distronic active. I plan to compare equal driving distances of Distronic-OFF/ASA-OFF, Distronic-ON/ASA-OFF, and Distronic-ON/ASA-ON to try isolating the cause of the brake dust. With Winter weather quickly approaching I may have to wait awhile before I can evaluate the three scenarios without having to deal with normal Winter weather road dirt.
The following users liked this post:
SW20S (12-12-2022)