EQS SUV Forum for Discussion of EQS SUV

Brake dust on EQS SUV wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2022, 03:49 PM

Received 261 Likes on 154 Posts
EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Brake dust on EQS SUV wheels

I am experiencing quite a bit of brake dust on the rear wheels of my EQS 450 4Matic SUV. The front wheels have no noticeable build up of brake dust. It's almost as if the front braking is done with recuperation and the rear brakes are relying on the calipers and pads. Are other EQS owners seeing the same thing? I wonder if the RWD 450+ is any different since the recuperation braking would be limited to the rear wheels.
Old 11-26-2022, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 402 Likes on 282 Posts
23 EQS 580 SUV, 19 X7 (sold), 17/14 GLS550 (sold) 13 GL550 (sold)
We have a 4-Matic EQS 580 SUV but so far I haven’t noticed any brake dust on any of the wheels. I’ve watched which electric motor the system chooses for recuperation and it typically uses the front motor but sometimes it will use the rear motor or both.
The following users liked this post:
LAZARU5 (11-26-2022)
Old 11-26-2022, 04:43 PM

EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Originally Posted by JoeMa
We have a 4-Matic EQS 580 SUV but so far I haven’t noticed any brake dust on any of the wheels. I’ve watched which electric motor the system chooses for recuperation and it typically uses the front motor but sometimes it will use the rear motor or both.
I hope other forum members will also chime in on this topic. Based upon your report of no noticeable brake dust, I suspect that something may not be quite right on my car.
Old 11-27-2022, 11:20 AM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by fgwinn
I hope other forum members will also chime in on this topic. Based upon your report of no noticeable brake dust, I suspect that something may not be quite right on my car.
Not seen any brake dust at all. I have been experimenting with all the recoup modes and now I have been settling in using strong recup when going down hills (we live on a pretty big one and have a bunch in our subdivision). And then I switch to intelligent recoup in traffic. Intelligent recoup definitely looks at the car in front and automatically does recoup so you don't have to hit the brakes. Way cool, and I have found myself hitting the brakes a lot lot less now.

Ultimately this will be a other unexpected savings with an EV if I can get 50-60k from our brakes because right now with our hills on my last GL I would only get 30-35k max.
JoeMa (11-27-2022)
Old 11-27-2022, 01:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
eqs suv
450 4matic here. No brake dust, I’m at 500 miles but always drive with strong regen since I’m coming from a Tesla and that’s what I’m comfortable with.
Old 11-27-2022, 03:18 PM

EQS 450 4Matic SUV
I typically drive with the default "D" level of recuperation until I remember to switch to Intelligent Recuperation. I frequently use the left steering wheel paddle to increase the recuperation level when descending steep hills. I did not think I was using the friction brakes as much as the brake dust seems to indicate. I plan to let the dust accumulate for a week or so and then stop in at the dealer to have them investigate further.
Old 11-27-2022, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 402 Likes on 282 Posts
23 EQS 580 SUV, 19 X7 (sold), 17/14 GLS550 (sold) 13 GL550 (sold)
This was discussed on another thread, but even with recuperation set to ‘No recuperation’, the car will still use the electric motors to slow the vehicle and recuperate energy when you press the brake pedal. It is my understanding the friction brakes are only used when the electric motors cannot slow the car quick enough.
Old 11-27-2022, 04:39 PM

EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Originally Posted by JoeMa
This was discussed on another thread, but even with recuperation set to ‘No recuperation’, the car will still use the electric motors to slow the vehicle and recuperate energy when you press the brake pedal. It is my understanding the friction brakes are only used when the electric motors cannot slow the car quick enough.
This is my understanding as well which is the reason I suspect something is wrong with the rear brakes. I would feel better if there was a warning message telling me something is wrong. I hope the dealer does not dismiss the matter and claim that brake dust on the rear wheels is normal.
Old 12-08-2022, 09:55 PM

EQS 450 4Matic SUV
I think I may have discovered the reason I was experiencing excessive brake dust on the rear wheels. When I first got the EQS SUV I activated pretty much all of the assistance packages including Active Steering Assist (ASA) and Active Lane Keeping Assist. I turned ASA off for a 400 mile trip and that pretty much eliminated the accumulation of any brake dust on the rear wheels. I saw just a trace of brake dust on both the front and rear wheels. I suspect that turning off Active Lane Keeping Assist will reduce brake dust even further.

I

Old 12-10-2022, 05:30 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
2023 Mercedes ESQ SUV 580 ● 2021 Volvo XC40 Recharge
I think I may have discovered the reason I was experiencing excessive brake dust on the rear wheels. When I first got the EQS SUV I activated pretty much all of the assistance packages including Active Steering Assist (ASA) and Active Lane Keeping Assist. I turned ASA off for a 400 mile trip and that pretty much eliminated the accumulation of any brake dust on the rear wheels. I saw just a trace of brake dust on both the front and rear wheels. I suspect that turning off Active Lane Keeping Assist will reduce brake dust even further.
Doe anybody have a theory as to why Active Steering Assist (ASA) would cause excessive brake dust?
Old 12-10-2022, 06:30 PM

eqs suv
No idea. I just checked my car today and both those settings are on and I don’t have any brake dust on my tires. I’ve had the car maybe 3 weeks now.. driving regularly for two weeks.
Old 12-10-2022, 06:55 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
Likewise, I have no brake dust at all after 1750 miles and all the settings are on.
Old 12-11-2022, 05:10 PM

EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Originally Posted by cerie
No idea. I just checked my car today and both those settings are on and I don’t have any brake dust on my tires. I’ve had the car maybe 3 weeks now.. driving regularly for two weeks.
ASA can be enabled in settings, but I believe it will only be "ON" when cruise control is engaged. During your three weeks of driving have you used cruise control much?
Old 12-11-2022, 06:22 PM

eqs suv
ASA can be enabled in settings, but I believe it will only be "ON" when cruise control is engaged. During your three weeks of driving have you used cruise control much?
No, my normal usage involves cruise control only once a week when I’m taking my daughter to tennis which is a 30 min drive. All other driving is on local roads with strong regen on. Tbh I haven’t used it much bc for some reason the car keeps misreading some sign when cruise control is on and will set the speed to 20 mph randomly and it scares me when it suddenly brakes. I’m in the DC area if anyone else is getting this issue.
Old 12-11-2022, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 926 Likes on 606 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
You can turn off that function where cruise control still works but does not change the speed of the vehicle due to posted limits.
Old 12-12-2022, 09:24 AM

EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Originally Posted by Utopia Texas
You can turn off that function where cruise control still works but does not change the speed of the vehicle due to posted limits.
Where is that setting to disable speed limit adjustments? I was on I-80 to other day and the cruise speed jumped from 70 to 80 even though there are no 80 mph signs.
Utopia Texas (12-12-2022)
Old 12-12-2022, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 926 Likes on 606 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
To use cruise control that does not increase or decrease speed automatically by way of posted signs go to the following setting. Do not look where my finger is touching the screen. Look where it is pointing. You are going to the “adopt speed limit” setting and turn it off.

Last edited by Utopia Texas; 12-12-2022 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-12-2022, 03:47 PM

eqs suv
Thanks! I disabled it and will try out cruise control more. Going from 75 to 20 had me spooked for awhile lol
Old 12-12-2022, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,688 Likes on 1,724 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic

I
Not specific to the EQS but I do know that Mercedes LKA and Distronic use the rear brakes, I was told thats why I see brake dust on the rear wheels on my S Class, its also why rear brakes wear out faster than typical.
Old 12-12-2022, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 803 Likes on 635 Posts
I use cruise control in town because it is very convenient in stop & go traffic. I set the speed at the nominal flow of traffic or the speed limit whichever is greater. The car will increase/decrease speed to maintian your preset following distance. Cruise control will stop or accelerate the car as necessary to maintain the distance from the car in front. A tap on the throttle will get cruise control going again from a full stop. There is no need to use the brake. Tap the brake and cruise control will disengage. Be aware that cruise control does not read traffic signs or signals.
Old 12-12-2022, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
Originally Posted by ua549
I use cruise control in town because it is very convenient in stop & go traffic. I set the speed at the nominal flow of traffic or the speed limit whichever is greater. The car will increase/decrease speed to maintian your preset following distance. Cruise control will stop or accelerate the car as necessary to maintain the distance from the car in front. A tap on the throttle will get cruise control going again from a full stop. There is no need to use the brake. Tap the brake and cruise control will disengage. Be aware that cruise control does not read traffic signs or signals.
But the cruise control (Distronic) uses the brakes to accomplish all that. Thats the point.
Old 12-12-2022, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 803 Likes on 635 Posts
Originally Posted by SW20S
But the cruise control (Distronic) uses the brakes to accomplish all that. Thats the point.
Either you use the brakes or let the car do it automatically, thus reducing driver work load. AFAIK cruise control uses all the brakes, not just the rear brakes. I've seen 4 neat skid marks from cruise control braking to avoid a collision with a leading vehicle.
Old 12-12-2022, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
Either you use the brakes or let the car do it automatically, thus reducing driver work load. AFAIK cruise control uses all the brakes, not just the rear brakes. I've seen 4 neat skid marks from cruise control braking to avoid a collision with a leading vehicle.
Thats not what I was told by an MB Master Tech. Of course when emergency braking kicks in to avoid a collision it uses all the brakes, but when simply slowing to maintain a distance or maintain a speed when going down a grade, it only uses the rear brakes. It also uses rear brakes to nudge the car back into the lane when using the lane keep assist.

I just had brakes put on my S560, and I was surprised it needed rear brakes, and thats where that conversation came from. I too have always noticed brake dust on the rear wheels which is unusual, and that explains it.

Last edited by SW20S; 12-12-2022 at 04:37 PM.
Old 12-12-2022, 07:41 PM

EQS 450 4Matic SUV
In an ICE S-Class, there's not much difference between what happens when the driver depresses the brake pedal or cruise control applies the brakes. I think this may not be the case in the EQS. When the driver presses the brake pedal the friction brakes are not immediately engaged. I suspect that Distronic, ASA, and LKA use friction brakes first since no one is lifting their foot off the throttle prior to braking.
Old 12-12-2022, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
In an ICE S-Class, there's not much difference between what happens when the driver depresses the brake pedal or cruise control applies the brakes. I think this may not be the case in the EQS. When the driver presses the brake pedal the friction brakes are not immediately engaged. I suspect that Distronic, ASA, and LKA use friction brakes first since no one is lifting their foot off the throttle prior to braking.
This is not accurate. In an ICE S Class when the driver applies the brakes, braking is applied at all 4 corners. When the Distronic applies brakes to maintain distance and speed and not in an abrupt stop it only applies the rear brakes.

In the EQS, my guess is that Distronic also uses the rear friction brakes, and you would be correct that when the driver applies the brakes or you use regen braking the friction brakes are only applied if necessary. That would explain why you see brake dust on the rear wheels when you are using distronic.
Utopia Texas (12-12-2022)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Brake dust on EQS SUV wheels