EQS SUV Forum for Discussion of EQS SUV

EQS580 - Emergency Shutdown??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2023, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EQS580
EQS580 - Emergency Shutdown??

I have a 2023 EQS580 SUV, purchased one month ago. The vehicle has has initiated an emergency shutdown on 3 separate occasions. The vehicle goes into a reduced speed mode and then completely shuts down. After about 5 minutes. the vehicle will return to normal operation. This has happened while on the highway and while turning in an intersection. Both times, leaving the vehicle inoperable in the middle of traffic.

The dealership states that there have been other reported cases and they are currently in the process of updating the software and they state that this will resolve the issue. Has anyone experienced this? I'm not interested in keeping this vehicle if I can't trust it to run and not put me or my family in danger. As a side note, I also have an Audi eTron that has been at the dealership for two months with multiple issues, so I'm starting to think that German luxury automakers just suck at making EV's.

UPDATE:

From the dealership: Found multiple fault codes stored in the BMS and PTCU. Performed a guided test of the HVIL fault in BMS, checked actual values and although the code was current and stored, the actual value was in spec. Checked PTSS cases and found a few similar cases were software was updated for the BMS and PTCU. Performed a guided test of the second fault code in the BMS regarding the temperature sensors, it immediately asked if the software was up to date for the BMS it was not. Performed a software update of the BMS which also put new software in both drive units, both chargers and the PTCU. Performed multiple test drives and verified that fault codes were not returned. ~

Moral of the story, it sounds like the temperature sensors were faulting and causing the emergency shut down of the vehicle and required a software update to resolve the issue. I will continue to drive and see if I experience the issue again.

Last edited by BT4603; 03-16-2023 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Update
Old 03-14-2023, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 398 Likes on 279 Posts
23 EQS 580 SUV, 19 X7 (sold), 17/14 GLS550 (sold) 13 GL550 (sold)
We've owned our EQS 580 SUV for six months and never experienced that issue.
Old 03-14-2023, 07:13 PM

EQS 580 SUV
I also have a 2023 EQS 580 SUV with similar experiences (vehicle would not start after DCFC; infrequent facial, voice or fingerprint recognition; would not recognize phone or launch CarPlay). At suggestion of MBUSA, local dealer installed operating system update (RL_NTG7_E329.501_22411AC3, which dealer was unaware existed). After 16 days and 121 miles of "test" driving vehicle returned and appears to be operating correctly. After the non-start incident MBUSA instructed (while seated in the vehicle) to consecutively lock/unlock the vehicle three times with the fob, which will cause a hard reboot of the operating system. After doing so wait 15-20 minutes for the software to load and the vehicle should start. Neither dealer nor MBUSA could explain what issues the E329.5 software update is intended to address or whether any additional functionality or enhancements are introduced.
Old 03-27-2023, 04:36 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
535i
My 580 had an emergency shout down once , but that was when it thought i had passed out owing to no movement of the steering wheel. However it was just a long straight stretch of road and I only had one finger on the wheel. I don’t know why it is so sensitive
Old 03-27-2023, 05:32 PM

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by 580selblack
My 580 had an emergency shout down once , but that was when it thought i had passed out owing to no movement of the steering wheel. However it was just a long straight stretch of road and I only had one finger on the wheel. I don’t know why it is so sensitive
Didn't you get a warning or beep or something before the shut down occurred?
Old 03-27-2023, 08:39 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
535i
Originally Posted by nosnoop
Didn't you get a warning or beep or something before the shut down occurred?
I got a warning to put my hand on the wheel but I only got a few seconds to comply before it started the emergency stop process.
Old 10-23-2023, 08:20 PM

EQS
EQS SUV PTCU failure

Originally Posted by JoeMa
We've owned our EQS 580 SUV for six months and never experienced that issue.
Owned a 2023 EQS SUV for 11 months. Had two software problems that required a week at the dealership each time for a software update. This month I had a new issue - turned the EQS on and got bombarded with error mssg's, including to shut the vehicle down. After I shut it down, I was able to drive and took it the dealership. They found a Code for an error in PTCU and they said that MB is working on getting it all fixed and maybe getting in-house software for all parts of the vehicle. They said that currently, different manufacturers provide the software for the part of the system they make.

So this was my 3rd software issue and update, but I had never had a major issue, like emergency shut down, while driving. The thought that it could happen is scary and just puts doubt on the future of all those computerized vehicle