EQS SUV Forum for Discussion of EQS SUV

EQS SUV 2nd 20K mile service - DIY style

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2024, 04:58 PM

Received 255 Likes on 150 Posts
EQS 450 4Matic SUV
EQS SUV 2nd 20K mile service - DIY style

I reached the 40K mile mark and started to do the 20K service this week. So far I completed the filter changes and windshield wiper blade replacement. I still need to rotate the tires, inspect brake rotor and pad wear, and reset the service mileage counter. It's only been 9 months since the first 20K complimentary service, so I decided to wait until next Summer to have the brake fluid flushed.

These are the parts I ordered online to complete the service:

Part Number / Price/ Part Name
297-835-01-00 / $64.18 / Cabin Air Filter (Underhood "pre-filter")
223-835-24-00 / $87.77 / Air Filter (Under glove box cabin filters)
296-820-15-00 / $76.80 / Wiper Blade (Front wiper blades - set)
167-820-49-03 / $20.74 / Wiper Blade (Rear wiper blade)

Total: $249.49

I could not find any online videos showing how to change the cabin filter. I started by removing the large plastic cover over the HEPA filter thinking that the filter might be beneath the plastic panel that also covers the 12v battery. Once I removed the large panel I confirmed that the smaller cabin filters could not be accessed from under the hood like it is in some other MB SUVs.

I then removed the panel below the glove box which is held in place with two screws near the glove box door hinge and two tabs along the front edge of this panel. There is a cut out in the panel to accommodate the passenger side below dash air bag which does not get disturbed when accessing the cabin filter housing. I removed the two cable connectors from the panel in order to completely remove the panel while changing the filters. It's relatively easy to pop the cover on the filter housing open, but I was unable to completely remove the cover. It's a little tedious to remove the two filters while the cover is hinged open about 45 degrees. The filters are positioned with two small holes facing upward and the "blue" side of the filters facing each other. There was no apparent difference in the condition of the new and old filters.

Changing the large pre-filter next to the HEPA filter is fairly easy. Simply release the three tabs holding the cover closed and remove the filters. I found it was easier to remove both filters at the same time, replace the pre-filter, and then re-insert both filters while holding them together. You will have to pull the top edge of the filter housing forward in order to release the filters from the housing. The maintenance interval for the HEPA filter is 50K miles. I plan to change it later this year. It's easy to see the difference between the new and used pre-filters. See attached photo.

The front wiper blades include Ikea style instructions on the carton. I changed the driver side blade with the wipers in the service position. I found it was easier to change the passenger side blade with the wipers in the at rest position along the bottom edge of the windshield. I used a plastic trim removal tool to pop the rear wiper blade out of the wiper arm.

Under glovebox panel.

One of two tabs at front edge of under glovebox cover.

Accessing cabin filter below glovebox.

Holes in top edge of under glovebox cabin filter.

Comparing new and used (after 20K miles) under hood pre-filter.

Rear wiper blade "snap-in" pivot point.

Last edited by LAZARU5; 05-21-2024 at 05:20 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by LAZARU5:
23-EQS580-SUV (05-22-2024), Crito (05-23-2024), guess2098 (05-23-2024), MB37 (05-23-2024), nosnoop (05-22-2024)
Old 05-23-2024, 12:17 PM

EQS 450 4Matic SUV
As part of the DIY 20K service I rotated the tires and inspected the rotors and pads. The tread depth on three of the 265/50R-20 Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3 XL tires measures 9.25/32" after the 3rd rotation at 17000 miles. The fourth tire measures just over 10/32" and is the only one that has not been mounted on the rear passenger position. The original tread depth on these tires was 11/32". The rotors and pads show no measurable wear since the last tire rotation 7000 miles ago. It looks like I will get at least 50K miles out of the 20" tires even though they are not an EV design.

The only thing that has me mildly concerned after a visual inspection of the car is the coolant level in the two expansion tanks under the hood. The fluid is below the middle of the tank. I have not seen any low coolant level warnings, so I will probably wait until I get the PA safety inspection in a few months before I ask the dealer to check it out just before the warranty expires.

I regret not checking the thickness of the rotors and brake pads when the EQS was new. I also wish I had snapped a photo of the coolant expansion tanks as a point of reference when I took delivery of the car.

Last edited by LAZARU5; 05-23-2024 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-23-2024, 02:19 PM

EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Once 20K miles are driven since the last maintenance reset, you will be reminded that the maintenance is due every time you start the car. The maintenance reset procedure can be accessed from the Workshop Menu. I followed the steps outlined in this video to open the Workshop menu.

Select ASSYST PLUS -> FULL SERVICE -> CONFIRM SERVICE in order to start a new 20K mile countdown.

Confirm Service option in Workshop Menu.

Old 05-23-2024, 05:50 PM

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts
2022 Taycan GTS, 2023 EQS580 SUV, 2023 EQS580 sedan
mine 20k series almost here, probably just do it myself if only need to change those 4 thing Cabin Air Filter, Air Filter, + wiper blades and verify tires. ​​​​​​
thank you for those instructions, very helpful.
Old 05-23-2024, 05:55 PM

EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Originally Posted by guess2098
mine 20k series almost here, probably just do it myself if only need to change those 4 thing Cabin Air Filter, Air Filter, + wiper blades and verify tires. ​​​​​​
thank you for those instructions, very helpful.
If this is the first 20K mile service for your car, I recommend having it done at the dealer. It's complimentary, and you may get some module software updates. I was getting various warning messages prior to the the first 20K service. After the updates were applied I did not receive a single battery related warning message.

Edit: Another reason to have the first 20K mile service done at the dealer is that it includes a brake fluid flush. I did not do that on my second 20K service since it's only been 9 months since the first service.

Last edited by LAZARU5; 05-23-2024 at 07:41 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by LAZARU5:
finlayson (05-24-2024), guess2098 (05-23-2024)
Old 05-24-2024, 08:56 AM

EQS 450 4Matic SUV
I received this email message from my dealer today, just a few days after I completed the DIY 20K mile service.

"Your 2023 EQS, PA00xxxx, is due for service. Commit to excellence with Genuine Mercedes‑Benz Parts and expert technicians. Mercedes‑Benz Integrated Service Package is good for the first 4 years or 40k miles.

Service B includes*:
  • Brake fluid exchange
  • Reset maintenance counter
  • Cabin dust/combination filter replacement
  • Brake component inspection
  • Tire inflation check and correction
  • All fluid level checks and corrections are dependent on factory-recommended service intervals for your vehicle's year and model
To schedule a Service B appointment, please contact Mercedes‑Benz of Doylestown at 215‑340‑9500 or book an appointment online today.

Sincerely,
Mercedes‑Benz of Doylestown

This message was generated by predictive diagnosis through your vehicle."

I was surprised the list of included service items did not include the wiper blades like it did for the first complimentary 20K mile service.