EQS EQS (V297) sedan

EQS Test Drives coming to select cities. Register now.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2021, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 209 Likes on 145 Posts
W212 M276 DELA 30 ; W211 OM642 ; R107 M117, Sierra 1500 LZ0
I'm only 38 and have owned mercedes my entire life, but I can't imagine owning any mercedes beyond the W222. What a disaster this car is.
Old 10-09-2021, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 853 Likes on 547 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by DubVBenz
I'm only 38 and have owned mercedes my entire life, but I can't imagine owning any mercedes beyond the W222. What a disaster this car is.
your statement just shows that being old is a function of your mindset rather than your actual age.

good luck with your W222 old man.
The following 4 users liked this post by stealth.pilot:
dtd (10-10-2021), js_cls (10-10-2021), MBNUT1 (10-09-2021), syswei (10-10-2021)
Old 10-10-2021, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
your statement just shows that being old is a function of your mindset rather than your actual age.

good luck with your W222 old man.
I have no desire to own a subscription based ipad with wheels.
Old 10-10-2021, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,587 Likes on 983 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
So why post in the EQS Sub-Forum?
Old 10-10-2021, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,768 Likes on 2,152 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
Again you drove the 450 without the hyperscreen correct? Wouldn't your comment also be true for the W223?
Which comment are you referring to? I don’t care for the center stack screen in either car, but the W223 interior overall, is much more attractive, IMO. If it has not come across clearly here, I don’t care for the EQS, other than how quiet it is and how the power delivery feels. With or without the Hyperscreen, this is not a car I want.
Old 10-10-2021, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
I don’t like the EQS, but do believe it will be a huge hit with those who are way more interested in driving an electric car—at pretty much any cost—over a car with an ICE. Those of us who think of cars as much more than a mere conveyance, who appreciate aesthetics, overall luxury, comfort and—dare I say—lineage and traditional motoring, will probably opt for something like a W222 or W223 instead. I know I will.
Old 10-10-2021, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
such a product does not exist.
Old 10-10-2021, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by Streamliner
Which comment are you referring to? I don’t care for the center stack screen in either car, but the W223 interior overall, is much more attractive, IMO. If it has not come across clearly here, I don’t care for the EQS, other than how quiet it is and how the power delivery feels. With or without the Hyperscreen, this is not a car I want.
yes it was confusing for some because most of us find that time is a precious thing and don’t bother test driving cars they don’t want. I for instance passed on the opportunity to test drive the W223 for this reason. Zero appeal.
Old 10-10-2021, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You know, thinking more about this, I could see my wife in an EQS. If she happens to fall in love with it, that would be fine by me. She is, however, currently in love with her 2019 E450 Wagon, so I’m not sure she would be willing to give that one up.
Old 10-10-2021, 02:26 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts
2023 S Class 2013 SL
Stream, elaborate more if you will on comparing the EQS and the 222/223. I understood the EQS was not as roomy. How so, seats? shoulder room? greenhouse outlook? How was the back seat? You're one of the few who's seen/sat in these things and I'd like to hear more of your critical analysis. Thanks.
Old 10-10-2021, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

yes it was confusing for some because most of us find that time is a precious thing and don’t bother test driving cars they don’t want. I for instance passed on the opportunity to test drive the W223 for this reason. Zero appeal.
Well, it is supposed to be an “S” vehicle, the top of the new MB EQ line, so even though I don’t care for the exterior looks, I felt I needed to at least drive the car, especially having received a personal invitation to do so. And, being an old, semi-retired guy myself, with time to do as I please and with the test drive location within walking distance from my home, I figured “why not?” To take this another step, I have a 2022 S580 on order and I have not yet driven a W223. That, however, will probably be accomplished this next week.
Old 10-10-2021, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by docsout
Stream, elaborate more if you will on comparing the EQS and the 222/223. I understood the EQS was not as roomy. How so, seats? shoulder room? greenhouse outlook? How was the back seat? You're one of the few who's seen/sat in these things and I'd like to hear more of your critical analysis. Thanks.
You know, my feeling is that the front seat area was not as roomy as in my S560. Some of that may have to do with the screen being in the center stack. I did not make it to the rear seats. The seats felt perhaps a tad narrower and the cockpit area a bit more cozy, if you will. When I’m driving my S560, the interior feels spacious and luxurious to me. I did not get that feeling in the EQS.
Old 10-10-2021, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by js_cls
I saw an in-depth review on youtube a couple of days ago and wandered over here to see if actual longtime mercedes fans thought this was a decent car. I don't despise electric cars, but I would certainly buy the Taycan over this any day of the week.
Old 10-10-2021, 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,030 Likes on 747 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
I saw an in-depth review on youtube a couple of days ago and wandered over here to see if actual longtime mercedes fans thought this was a decent car. I don't despise electric cars, but I would certainly buy the Taycan over this any day of the week.
They are two pretty different cars. Some will prefer one over the other. That doesn't make one better or worse than the other.
The following 2 users liked this post by MBNUT1:
Radman991 (10-11-2021), stealth.pilot (10-10-2021)
Old 10-11-2021, 08:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 406 Likes on 284 Posts
23 EQS 580 SUV, 19 X7 (sold), 17/14 GLS550 (sold) 13 GL550 (sold)
Originally Posted by js_cls
I'll tell you why he and other nay-sayers are posting on this sub-forum, they know EV's are inevitable and they'll eventually have to trade-in their ICE vehicle for an EV. Rather than except this truth they instead point out what they don't like or hate about the EQS (and other EV's no doubt) to make themselves feel better. If they want to remain a Mercedes owner they'll be buying a Mercedes EV in the next 5 to 10 years.
The following 2 users liked this post by JoeMa:
jackinhs (10-11-2021), syswei (10-11-2021)
Old 10-11-2021, 08:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by JoeMa
I'll tell you why he and other nay-sayers are posting on this sub-forum, they know EV's are inevitable and they'll eventually have to trade-in their ICE vehicle for an EV. Rather than except this truth they instead point out what they don't like or hate about the EQS (and other EV's no doubt) to make themselves feel better. If they want to remain a Mercedes owner they'll be buying a Mercedes EV in the next 5 to 10 years.
Agree. Plus you also have a few of the ones who rationalize not buying something which feels too expensive.

BTW I just ordered the BMW IX as well for my wife. Not sure if she will like it, but her GLE450 will be 2 years old in January, and so I think we will be ready for a new SUV by the summer. The EQE SUV which won't be available for a couple of year is my guess. I'm also going to order the next generation Porsche 718 when that is announced. Apparently it will also be an EV. Sports car makes more sense in my garage than a Cybertruck.

Last edited by stealth.pilot; 10-11-2021 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-11-2021, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 252 Likes on 159 Posts
2023 EQS 580
That is not the reason. The vehicle is ugly and generic. There is no denying that fact. The interior is only place it shines.
I have always enjoyed my MB when they are parked. Walking up to my beautiful S Coupe stirs more emotion in me than when I step of the pedal.
Lets stop being MB apologists, fanboys, and shills. DubVBenz was right. The exterior design is a disaster. There is no argument that this will be the ugliest car in the current MB lineup.
It may even be the ugliest car they have ever made. And IMO its ugly for no reason. Tesla and Lucid were able to get better range without resorting to jelly bean on wheels.

No frunk, a Chargeport that lacks simple luxury, an unnecessary and unsightly windshield washer port. The only thing they got right on the exterior is the Aero wheels. MB is the only one making aero wheels that actually look good.
I have a deposits placed for both a Lucid and an EQS. If I cant get the EQS with all the luxuries promised (Comfort Doors are potentially not available) then there is no way I can drive such a monstrosity without all the tech toys to justify buying such a design...
Even though I am still considering buying the car without comfort doors... I am such a MB fanboy.. SMH lol
Old 10-11-2021, 01:12 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2022 Tesla Model S
I guess beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder. As a multiple Tesla owner, I find the design to be getting long in tooth. Other than a front end refresh, the overall design of the Tesla Model S has remained the same throughout its lifespan. The interior refresh was welcomed, but still not the level of plush that you would expect from a car north of $100K. And, there are disasters in every luxury EV right now. Why does Lucid have black front seats in an otherwise brown interior (supposedly because of the higher degree of wear to the front seats)? Why don't they offer a black interior? Why did Tesla put a yoke steering wheel in its refresh without an option to just get a normal steering wheel? Why didn't they turn up the luxury a notch on a $150K car? Why didn't Porsche/Audi put out a car with a range that even long time adopters such as me believe to be adequate? I cannot do my once weekly 150 mile trip to the office in a Taycan without contemplating the need to top off before starting back. And has anybody looked at Bucky Beaver BMW? What the hell is up with that grill? And, what about that range BMW? I have no problem with the EQS exterior design. I understand its purpose. It's not the most beautiful exterior design to an EV (that award would go to the Taycan in my opinion), but its objective to maximize range through minimizing Coefficient of Drag tends to work (although I am disappointed in the final EPA numbers for such a large battery pack). It's getting to be a competitive sector and in my opinion none are getting past third in what they've put out. Rivian, on the other hand, has put out a sweet truck that will set the bar for all further entries.
The following 2 users liked this post by jackinhs:
js_cls (10-11-2021), Soulman (10-11-2021)
Old 10-11-2021, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by jackinhs
I guess beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder. As a multiple Tesla owner, I find the design to be getting long in tooth. Other than a front end refresh, the overall design of the Tesla Model S has remained the same throughout its lifespan. The interior refresh was welcomed, but still not the level of plush that you would expect from a car north of $100K. And, there are disasters in every luxury EV right now. Why does Lucid have black front seats in an otherwise brown interior (supposedly because of the higher degree of wear to the front seats)? Why don't they offer a black interior? Why did Tesla put a yoke steering wheel in its refresh without an option to just get a normal steering wheel? Why didn't they turn up the luxury a notch on a $150K car? Why didn't Porsche/Audi put out a car with a range that even long time adopters such as me believe to be adequate? I cannot do my once weekly 150 mile trip to the office in a Taycan without contemplating the need to top off before starting back. And has anybody looked at Bucky Beaver BMW? What the hell is up with that grill? And, what about that range BMW? I have no problem with the EQS exterior design. I understand its purpose. It's not the most beautiful exterior design to an EV (that award would go to the Taycan in my opinion), but its objective to maximize range through minimizing Coefficient of Drag tends to work (although I am disappointed in the final EPA numbers for such a large battery pack). It's getting to be a competitive sector and in my opinion none are getting past third in what they've put out. Rivian, on the other hand, has put out a sweet truck that will set the bar for all further entries.
Agree. People whining about the exterior design of the EQS, forget that there is no perfect car. All the others have even bigger drawbacks:

Tesla Model S - stripped down vehicle with 10 year old design and lacking basic luxury features like massage seats, Apple CarPlay, Surround View Cameras, Ambient lighting, etc. The equipment levels on a Model S are more suited to competing with a Toyota or a Ford. The car is poorly built - lacks chassis rigidity which is really important to having a solid feel when driving. The obsession with the glass roof with no central cross bar leads to flex. The glass roof is also non dimmable and it radiates a ton of heat in the summer. No shade on the side windows either, although not surprising given lack of shade on roof.

Lucid - good effort, but it has those quirky mismatched seats, the door panels look cheap, and it has an excessively large glass roof with no sun shade (the photochromic glass doesn't properly darken the cabin). Also no side window shades. The feature set on this car are barely matching what you get on a Lexus or Acura, and well short of what you can get from a BMW or Mercedes. The same goes for the cabin finishes.

Taycan - beautiful car but tiny. The car is effectively three seater since the space behind the driver is not usable. In my test drive the drivers seat was touching the back seat. With a rear facing child seat in the back on the passenger side, the front passenger would also be cramped.
The following 4 users liked this post by stealth.pilot:
AppleFan1 (10-14-2021), jackinhs (10-11-2021), JoeMa (10-12-2021), js_cls (10-11-2021)
Old 10-11-2021, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I ACCept that the future of cars, both as entertaining machines and personal property, is bleak. I ACCept that a EV is a great concept for a daily driver, local vehicle. I do not ACCept that ICE vehicles will ever disappear, for very obvious reasons. I simply have no desire for an MB egg. I can barely tolerate the grille star on my 212, but it at least hides the distronic well.
Old 10-11-2021, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
I ACCept that the future of cars, both as entertaining machines and personal property, is bleak. I ACCept that a EV is a great concept for a daily driver, local vehicle. I do not ACCept that ICE vehicles will ever disappear, for very obvious reasons. I simply have no desire for an MB egg. I can barely tolerate the grille star on my 212, but it at least hides the distronic well.
Totally get that.

Based on comments posted to the Car and Driver review of the 450+ you are not alone in your critique of the EQS styling.

One of many such comments.
"Mercedes wrecked their design language in an attempt to extract a few more miles of range out of this jelly bean"

Best comment was

"Lucid in the sky with diamonds"

I do respect Mercedes for letting form follow function. It's not like they don't know what it looks like particularly in light of the fact that they have designed some of the most beautiful classic cars on the planet. I suspect that it will be an acquired taste. It is starting to grow on me particularly in the EQE form.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 10-11-2021 at 11:05 PM.
Old 10-22-2021, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
I have the test drive scheduled for 10am tomorrow, but it turns out my wife scheduled a family photo shoot for 9am.

Hoping MB will reschedule the test drive.
Old 10-22-2021, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have the test drive scheduled for 10am tomorrow, but it turns out my wife scheduled a family photo shoot for 9am.

Hoping MB will reschedule the test drive.
Having driven the EQS, I believe the excitement level at the two events should be similar.
Old 10-22-2021, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by Streamliner
Having driven the EQS, I believe the excitement level at the two events should be similar.
Good one.
Old 10-22-2021, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,587 Likes on 983 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
So @stealth.pilot did you get to test drive the EQS? Or did family duties take over?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: EQS Test Drives coming to select cities. Register now.