My EQS 580 Review & Comparison to the S-Class: A Tale of Two Kings

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2021, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,586 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
My EQS 580 Review & Comparison to the S-Class: A Tale of Two Kings

The S-Class has always remained king of its class for the better part of its history (let’s just pretend the W220 doesn’t exist ). With sales trouncing its competitors, even when combined, the letter S in the Mercedes alphabet has always been important, standing for “Sonderklasse,” otherwise known as “Special Class.” With EV’s on the rise and Tesla continuously gaining influence and sales in the auto industry, the Germans seem to finally be taking notice and adapting with a new range of EV’s that (hopefully) adhere to what the brand stands for. While some brands (*cough* BMW *cough*) have chosen to be cheap and lazy putting all their eggs in one basket by using an ICE platform for EV’s, or other brands who are just plain out ignoring EV’s (Toyota), some brands, like Daimler, VAG, GM, Ford, etc. have realized the full potential of a dedicated EV platform. And that is what we have here, the new EQS, the S-Class of EV’s. The point of this comparison is not really to crown a winner but rather take a look at where these two cars, both of which share a very important letter, are similar, as well as different.

Before I start the comparison, some disclosures. I am an EV noob. I have very little experience driving EV’s apart from one time driving a Tesla Model 3 and Porsche Taycan Turbo. So for me this is a whole new world, and one with a bunch of stuff I won’t get into such as efficiency calculations and such. That being said, my experience with the Mercedes brand, while new to the party with my first MB being a 2019 CLS, is very expansive as I’ve gotten a chance to experience a variety of models of different generations. The EQS 580 that I got a chance to explore is a current demo unit, optioned out to $129,000. I believe it was an “Exclusive Trim” model as the rear seats didn’t feature ventilation which is standard on the “Pinnacle Trim.”

Exterior

This is where the two cars are at their greatest difference. The exterior is definitely one of controversy and rightfully so as it is new and different for Mercedes. While the S-Class features a cab-back design with a long and elegant hood and typical three box shape, the EQS is the opposite. The EQS features a wedge “one-bow” design which incorporates a cab-forward design and hatchback in the rear. Unlike the S-Class, there is no hood mounted ornament. The EQS I drove featured AMG-Line styling, a Star-Pattern Grill, as well as 21-inch Multi-Spoke Wheels (the less busy of the two available) with a Graphite Grey Metallic Exterior Paint. I think AMG-Line and dark colors suit this car best. The car definitely presents itself better in person than in photos, but I don’t think it is particularly beautiful, nor ugly. It is new and different, some will like that, others won’t, it will be something to get use to I guess. I still prefer the design of the current S-Class which I do consider beautiful and elegant. Different strokes for different folks, some will prefer the S, others the EQS.

I think the best angle is probably the rear three-quarter view. I do like the headlight design of the EQS as well, as the three dot signature of “S-badged” vehicles is still included, and the lightbar up front also brings in a new and interesting design. The headlights of the EQS also feature “Digital Light” technology. While I’m sure some of the functionality will be disabled in the US due to our outdated regulations, there are some cool gimmick features. When entering and exiting the vehicle the lights will do a little “show” when parked far enough against a wall or flat surface. When locking or unlocking, there will be what looks like circuits moving inwards or outwards depending on whether the car was locked or unlocked. Overall the car does show some restraint though as the design is not overly busy (different wheels can change that) and not in your face like some other brand’s current lineup. Luckily, a lot of the exterior is made up for in other ways, such as the interior.

Interior

While both the S-Class and EQS feature a new design theme for Mercedes, interestingly, MB has given the EQS a one-up versus its S-Class cousin. Currently only standard on the EQS580 (eventually optional on the 450) is the MBUX Hyperscreen, arguably the biggest talking point for the EQS. The large, curved glass truly is very beautiful in person, and the overall interior design features a modern yet elegant look to it. A lot of gentle curves and creases about the cabin which look great. While the new S-Class took ambient lighting to another level, the EQS takes it to an 11, improving upon the already excellent S-Class. The way the ambient lighting looks during both day and night in both cars is just fantastic, but the EQS does have some added extras such as lights in the seats and overall just blends better with the cabin design compared to the S. I also preferred the integration of the screens in the EQS. While I unlike others don't mind the tablet design of the S-Class (which EQS 450’s will feature), I will say the EQS visually just looks more cohesive and impressive inside.

That being said, not all is perfect. One annoying aspect of the EQS interior is the dashboard, as its simply too high. Due to the cab-forward design and steeper rake for the windshield, the dashboard is both longer and higher than in a typical Mercedes. This is the biggest aspect to get use to in my opinion, as its just a big change and the first aspect that stood out to me when sitting in the vehicle. In comparison, the S-Class features a short and low dashboard with excellent forward visibility. The S-Class also features a lower seating position for both the front and rear occupants. The EQS sits noticeably higher, although I do not find this as much of an issue, but those over 6-foot should test out the seating position.

Speaking of seats, the EQS features comfortable seats, but they do not adjust as much as the S-Class, which features shoulder/upper back adjustment, as well as just overall more plush and cushioned seats. The same can be said for the rear seats. The S-Class features greater space in terms of leg and headroom for rear seat occupants, as well as greater adjustability and configurations. The EQS rear bench sits higher, and with the sloping roof may be tight for anyone over 6-foot. Still comfortable, but the S-Class remains at the top here. I would be very curious to try out the AMG-designed seats for the EQS.

As for materials, the two also show their differences here. With many EV’s, manufacturers are highlighting the use of more sustainable and vegan friendly materials, and this is evident in the EQS. The vehicle I was in featured high quality Black/Sable Brown Napa Leather which is featured on the seats with beautiful stitching accents. The dashboard, door tops, door armrests as well as central armrest all feature a new vegan material which feels like a mix of leather and suede, almost a combination of the two. I really liked this new material, and also like that it adds some contrast, even to a black interior. The roof-lining of the vehicle was also very nice and soft suede. The rest of the door card is made of MB-Tex and featured Natural Grain Anthracite Linden wood which looked nice, but I think the Yacht-Design Walnut Wood (striped trim) would look best. The S-Class will feature a richer feeling cabin with more leathers, MB-Tex, and trim present, but the cabin of the EQS still feels luxurious and premium and has a nice mix of new materials present. The EQS 450 will feature greater trim about the cabin as it won’t have the Hyperscreen. Switchgear between the two vehicles is largely the same, from the steering wheel to the new door handles, signal/wiper and gear stalks, as well as seat adjustment and ventilation/heating controls. The start stop of the EQS is featured in the center though. Interestingly, I think the EQS is also one of the only (maybe even the only) current EV to feature a sunroof which can actually open.

One large advantage of the EQS is cargo capacity, mainly due to the huge hatch out back. I did not expect the hatch to be this big, but it is, and it can easily fit a lot of different items in it no problem and should make up for the fact that there is no frunk. Compared to the S-Class, this is easily double the space, and the seats can fold too.

Technology

Technology between the two is roughly similar other than some differences with the Hyperscreen and Passenger Screen. I find the new MBUX fairly simple and easy to use, as it feels like a touchscreen extension of the current version that is featured in vehicles such as the GLE, GLS, etc. but still features a touchpad on the steering wheel which I like to use as well. Overall, the EQS takes the same MBUX 2.0 software as the new S and expands it to a greater size. A new “Zero-Layer” home screen presents the always visible map with widgets for commonly used functions, such as media, comfort, and EQ settings, etc. I discovered that you could switch it to the “Classic” view which like other MBUX cars, will simply display a row of different functions with a faded version of the map above. I preferred this mode and was very happy to discover that it was available. Apple CarPlay is also huge on the Hyperscreen, although the cameras while very clear, do not utilize as much space as they could.

In addition to normal MBUX features, there is a new EQ menu screen which will display functions like range and consumption, as well as ways in which the vehicle could improve its range by disabling or dialing down functions from lighting to HVAC and more. The passenger screen in my opinion while a neat add on, doesn’t really appeal to me, but then again, I am always in the driver’s seat anyways. Gauges are also fairly similar to the S-Class, only change being to the tachometer being a power gauge now, and the addition of new center screen options for range and efficiency, along with a weird looking sport gauge.

Also, there are two different sound modes available in the EQS, Silver Waves and Vivid Flux. Silver Waves is pretty much the standard sound, with Vivid Flux being more of a “sporty” sound. I think Vivid Flux sounds a bit too synthetic, so I left it on Silver Waves. I didn’t mind the artificial noise as I like that it adds some ambience without getting in the way. Honestly after a few minutes you won’t even notice it, especially since we’ve become accustomed to exhausts on ICE cars. In sport mode the piped in noise will increase in volume, but I left it mainly in comfort for the majority of the drive. Also interestingly you can “rev” the EQS. If you press on the throttle, similar to “gassing” an ICE vehicle, the sound generators will make noise, almost as if you were “revving” the car which I thought was pretty funny. Also my favorite feature was one that I didn’t even notice at first. Unlike most EV’s where you can’t really tell whether the car is on and ready or not, the EQS (I believe only when the music is off) will play what sounds almost like futuristic elevator music (or futuristic spa music) when the vehicle is “idling.”

The EQS 580 I tested was missing the automatic doors due to the chip shortage.

Driving Experience

The highlight of every S-Class has always been its impressive driving experience in regard to creating a comfortable, quiet, and isolated environment. The S can coddle its passengers in luxury, making them easily forget about the world outside. The same still holds true to the current S. With the rise of EV’s though, one thing has become apparent, and that is the large advantages that EV powertrains have when it comes to creating a great luxury experience. Think of it this way, the perfect Rolls Royce wouldn’t use a V12, but rather be electric. An EV features no multi-gear transmission to shift (besides the Taycan), less moving parts, no turbo which needs to spool up, and overall less NVH than even the best engine on the planet. All of these are attributes to that of a comfortable, quiet, and isolated experience, perfect for that of an S-Class.

So, when driving the EQS, it takes all of those elements from the S-Class and smooths them over. Acceleration is quick (for a vehicle of this size), but also smooth and fast to react, but not so much that it will be jarring. This car is not about 0-60 runs and launch control, but rather smoothness. Even the S-Class with its fantastic auto-start stop system which gets rid of any harshness of restarting the vehicle, will never be able to beat that of an EV which doesn’t need to do any of that, or shift through nine different gears when going on the highway. Braking is also surprisingly very good. Being someone like myself with limited EV experience, one of the quirks I hear about a majority of EV’s or even hybrids is the regenerative braking experience. For the EQS there are three modes for recuperation, ranging from none, to normal, and strong. None does exactly as it says and feels like a normal brake pedal. Even in the “Normal Recuperation” mode the pedal largely feels normal. The strong mode is what requires the most adjustment. This is mainly due to how MB has calibrated the brake pedal to move on its own. It can be a bit disorientating at first, especially at higher speeds as it will feel as if the brake is a bit spongey being farther down than anticipated, but maybe with some more time will become a bit more comfortable. In the meantime, despite my little experience in EV’s, I find the regular recuperation to be just fine.

As for handling, the vehicle is surprisingly a bit more agile than I thought it would be. Despite the huge S-Class dimensions of the EQS, the 10-Degree Rear Wheel Steering is easily what impresses. This thing can handle tight turns, very well. I even did some circles in the parking lot, and the turning circle is incredibly tight, easily close to that of a compact car. This is a feature that should be standard on all other large sedans. Steering is also good. Of course there is no feel, but the weighting is very natural, and the ratio is a bit quicker than the S-Class, requiring less turns lock to lock. The car also feels very solid when driving due to the lower center of gravity and heavy weight of the batteries. The EQS’ suspension is very comfortable, and less floaty than the S-Class while still absorbing bumps and imperfections and keeping them out of the cabin. There’s also notably less roll, again thanks to the lower center of gravity, but don't expect Taycan levels of handling. The cabin is also hush quiet. It was a very windy day (40 degrees) when I tested the car and getting in the car and shutting the door made me forget about the awful weather and how noisy it was outside.

Overall, the handling of the EQS is very competent, definitely up there with the S-Class. Its not corner carver, and its mission is far from that, but it exceeds at its goals of providing comfort, quiet, and isolation.

Range/Efficiency

I won’t speak on the car’s range or efficiency much considering I don’t understand many of the variables that go into range and efficiency calculations, and since the vehicle had pretty much no miles on it (I was the first customer to drive it), it didn’t have any driving styles/statistics to base its calculations on. I have no doubts though, like the Taycan and Mustang Mach-E, that the EQS will exceed its EPA ratings. In fact, the EQS 450 already has, with Edmunds getting 425 miles on their first test of the car, over 70 miles higher than their next best tested EV. The 580 should perform similarly in the real world, of course with some effects on range being due to the AWD system, as well as wheels and tires. I also think the EPA should improve their rating system to be truer to real world results, as well as provide both city and highway ranges, because I can tell you this, no one knows what the hell MPGe means or is equivalent to.

I imagine, many EQS customers may not take long-distance trips with the vehicles past the vehicles range (which is already long), or may use other vehicles in their garage, but if need be, the EQS’ navigation system can map out to other chargers and shouldn't take too long to charge up for enough range. Hopefully Electrify America will improve their overall charger reliability and customer service in the meantime.

Conclusion

Overall, I was quite impressed by the EQS. I find it quite a compelling product and one that deserves some serious thought and consideration, even with some of its controversial decisions behind it. I think this is exactly what EV’s are suited for. The Taycan just didn’t do it for me, I couldn’t see myself buying that car over V8 Sport Sedans for a similar price, and then if I bought it for simple commuting/luxury I feel like I would be wasting my money as that isn’t the primary goal of the Taycan. For sporty cars, an ICE vehicle is still my top choice, but for luxury an EV makes sense, and I could see myself buying an EQS over a gas luxury car. And if anything, I feel that the EQS is the first real luxury EV out there. Tesla while great in many aspects, just is not luxury, especially when it comes to materials, build quality, etc. They have their advantages (many great ones too), but luxury is not exactly one of them, and the Taycan is a bit more focused on handling than luxury.

In the end, I do believe that the EQS is definitely a car worthy of its Sonderklasse badging and marketing. I look forward to reading many different EQS owners impressions and posts when they get their vehicles.

Thanks for reading!

The following 21 users liked this post by js_cls:
AppleFan1 (11-17-2021), avilent (11-16-2021), Bahnstormer (11-17-2021), bnzvett (12-16-2021), c4004matic (10-24-2023), dangitty (02-18-2023), ddruker (11-22-2021), dtd (11-21-2021), eqs (11-17-2021), jhpiipe (11-18-2021), jmmstm (10-23-2023), MBNUT1 (11-16-2021), mmmamg (11-16-2021), motomerc (09-30-2022), MrMBenz1 (11-16-2021), Ohji (11-20-2021), Ormond2004 (12-05-2021), Radman991 (11-16-2021), Soulman (11-20-2021), stealth.pilot (11-16-2021), Wassaby (12-13-2021) and 16 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-16-2021, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 792 Likes on 511 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Great review. Thanks for taking the time to write that.

Did you notice if the Apple CarPlay directions are integrated into the HUD and the instrument cluster like on the new BMW IX? Also did the test vehicle have the AR HUD?
Old 11-16-2021, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Great review. Thanks for taking the time to write that.

Did you notice if the Apple CarPlay directions are integrated into the HUD and the instrument cluster like on the new BMW IX? Also did the test vehicle have the AR HUD?
No AR HUD on this vehicle, just a regular HUD. I don’t believe Apple CarPlay will project maps into the HUD for any MB at the moment but I am not 100% sure.
Old 11-16-2021, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 406 Likes on 284 Posts
23 EQS 580 SUV, 19 X7 (sold), 17/14 GLS550 (sold) 13 GL550 (sold)
Thanks @js_cls for the excellent review. The wife and I are scheduled for a test drive on December 5.
Old 11-16-2021, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by js_cls
No AR HUD on this vehicle, just a regular HUD. I don’t believe Apple CarPlay will project maps into the HUD for any MB at the moment but I am not 100% sure.
I suspected. BMW has always been a couple of years ahead of Mercedes when it comes to Apple integration.
Old 11-16-2021, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
I suspected. BMW has always been a couple of years ahead of Mercedes when it comes to Apple integration.
I’m just glad they got wireless CarPlay finally, that’s all I need, I don’t use the HUD too often. After sitting in the EQS, BMW’s gonna have to really impress with their iX. I’m not a big fan of the iDrive 8.0 update. I’m fine with all touch controls, such as the new S and EQS, but unlike MB they hid the fan, seat heating, and ventilation controls under some very non-intuitive menus. Also while I don’t find the EQS to be beautiful, I don’t find it hideous, it looks good from most angles, the iX though looks worse in person than in photos when I saw it at BMW’s UDE event, but that’s just my opinion. I am very curious to see how the EQS SUV will turn out.
The following users liked this post:
stealth.pilot (11-17-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 12:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 303 Likes on 210 Posts
2022 EQS580
JS, you need to be commended for this incredible review of the EQS580. Thanks SO much. I can't wait until I take delivery of mine some time in February.
The following 3 users liked this post by AppleFan1:
js_cls (11-17-2021), Ormond2004 (12-05-2021), stealth.pilot (11-17-2021)

Trending Topics

Old 11-17-2021, 08:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
I’m just glad they got wireless CarPlay finally, that’s all I need, I don’t use the HUD too often. After sitting in the EQS, BMW’s gonna have to really impress with their iX. I’m not a big fan of the iDrive 8.0 update. I’m fine with all touch controls, such as the new S and EQS, but unlike MB they hid the fan, seat heating, and ventilation controls under some very non-intuitive menus. Also while I don’t find the EQS to be beautiful, I don’t find it hideous, it looks good from most angles, the iX though looks worse in person than in photos when I saw it at BMW’s UDE event, but that’s just my opinion. I am very curious to see how the EQS SUV will turn out.
The EQS SUV will clearly better than the IX, but I am sure it will be priced quite a bit higher too. The EQE will likely deliver the same content at a much better price. I hope the EQE SUV is as roomy as the GLE.
dtd (11-21-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by BeanTrader
JS, you need to be commended for this incredible review of the EQS580. Thanks SO much. I can't wait until I take delivery of mine some time in February.
Thanks for the kind words. I’ve always loved driving and wanted to be an automotive journalist when I was younger so any chance I can get to get behind the wheel of an exciting car and write a review I always take it. Very excited to hear yours and others impressions of the EQS’ as they start arriving!
Old 11-18-2021, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,118 Likes on 732 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Not a problem! I've never had an apple product of any kind, ever.
Old 11-19-2021, 09:09 PM

Received 261 Likes on 155 Posts
2018 S560; 2022 EQS450+
Originally Posted by c4004matic
Back to the review - as the owner of an ‘18 S560, with 20,000 miles, and awaiting my EQS450+, although I didn’t buy any of what I think of unnecessary complexities, I really appreciated your report.

Old 11-20-2021, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
I may be biased but you don’t know what you’re missing. I love Apple devices.
Old 11-20-2021, 05:01 PM

2018 S560; 2022 EQS450+
Speaking of prices…

I bought my first Mercedes in the spring of 1971 - 50 years ago - at age of 39. Bought a two-tone 300SEL for pickup in Vienna. Black top, cream bottom. Drove it about 4.500 miles through Hungary, Bulgaria, and down to Athens, around Greece, up Mt Olympus, and up the Adriatic Coast to Split and Triest, then to Venice. From there to Stuttgart, from whence it was shipped to the US. I picked it up in Baltimore.
I paid >$10,000 for it; today at The Dollar Then And Now site, that converts to $66,925.
I drove it 105,000 miles, then traded it in on an Audi 5000.
I did later buy a ‘73 - don’t recall the model; a Porsche 944; several Bentleys. My next one was ‘12 S Class, then a lovely light blue MB convertible, then my current’18 S Class…now awaiting my EQS450+.
In between I had a Morgan +8, one of the last half-dozen gas-engined for a long time. In ‘08, I bought a used Bristol 603S2, had a very complete factory rebuild and repaint. It’s disappeared out in Portland, OR.
That ignores a Ford wagon, an Olds VistaCruiser, and a late ‘60s Olds Toronado. A lot of fun, a lot of $$.
The following 3 users liked this post by Newbyloub:
dangitty (02-18-2023), MBNUT1 (11-20-2021), svp6 (02-01-2022)
Old 11-20-2021, 05:06 PM

2018 S560; 2022 EQS450+
I once had a 2c computer… nothing other than that but several iPhones…a 13Pro I’m using now.
Old 11-20-2021, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by Newbyloub
I bought my first Mercedes in the spring of 1971 - 50 years ago - at age of 39. Bought a two-tone 300SEL for pickup in Vienna. Black top, cream bottom. Drove it about 4.500 miles through Hungary, Bulgaria, and down to Athens, around Greece, up Mt Olympus, and up the Adriatic Coast to Split and Triest, then to Venice. From there to Stuttgart, from whence it was shipped to the US. I picked it up in Baltimore.
I paid >$10,000 for it; today at The Dollar Then And Now site, that converts to $66,925.
I drove it 105,000 miles, then traded it in on an Audi 5000.
I did later buy a ‘73 - don’t recall the model; a Porsche 944; several Bentleys. My next one was ‘12 S Class, then a lovely light blue MB convertible, then my current’18 S Class…now awaiting my EQS450+.
In between I had a Morgan +8, one of the last half-dozen gas-engined for a long time. In ‘08, I bought a used Bristol 603S2, had a very complete factory rebuild and repaint. It’s disappeared out in Portland, OR.
That ignores a Ford wagon, an Olds VistaCruiser, and a late ‘60s Olds Toronado. A lot of fun, a lot of $$.
Sounds like a lot of cool and different vehicles, as well as a lot of fun trips, journeys, and miles in those vehicles. Very excited to hear about your experience with your EQS450+ when it arrives!
Old 11-20-2021, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Ive been around computers since before floppy disc of any sort existed! Always deemed Apply as an expensive style based product for those that were less than computer savvy. I did buy and Ipod once. It lasted about a month. As far as phones are concerned Android is a much superior operating system.
Old 11-20-2021, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Ive been around computers since before floppy disc of any sort existed! Always deemed Apply as an expensive style based product for those that were less than computer savvy. I did buy and Ipod once. It lasted about a month. As far as phones are concerned Android is a much superior operating system.
Old 11-20-2021, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
No problem. To each his own.
Old 12-13-2021, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
EQS Review Update: 450+ Driven

An update to this thread: This weekend I got to try out an EQS 450+ at the MB EQ Driving Event in Tysons Corner. The staff were very friendly and were very excited about the product. At the event many drivers I noticed were either current MB owners, or owners of vehicles such as the Mustang Mach-E, Tesla Model S, and Audi E-Tron SUV. A lot of people were talking about how this EQS has them excited for the EQE as they want something smaller and cheaper but with the many benefits and attributes that they loved about the EQS, to which I would also put myself in the same camp.

Here I got to see the car in not only the AMG-Line variants that I had already seen, but also the Luxury Line exterior with a variety of wheels. The colors shown were mainly Silver, Grey and Blue, with one or two White and Black painted models. I am still a believer that the AMG-Line exterior is a must have option for this vehicle as it helps transforms the looks, and looks a bit more expensive this way. I also got to see some more wheel variants, particularly those for the Luxury-Line styled models. Both AMG style wheels look great, and honestly the Blue-Energy style wheels didn't look completely terrible, its not as shouty as other EV's although its definitely asking for some attention. Speaking of asking for attention, inside the mall they also had an EQS for people to look at, and this car featured the Star-Pattern Wheels. From afar it looks fine, but up close its definitely in your face and a bit gaudy.

This EQS here in Nautical Blue with the AMG-Line Styling was easily the best looking spec available. I really think this color does a great job with the car's styling as the color is both very elegant but still has just the right amount of sparkle and metallic flake in the sun to be more special than the typical black or white. This would be how I would spec an EQS (if I were to buy one) with either AMG-Style wheel. I spent the rest of the day in Tysons, mainly around the Mall and Galleria for a few hours, so I also got to see these cars move with traffic. Seeing them moving in-person also looked good as when they were with other traffic they have a very long and sleek profile. They definitely stand out a bit, albeit not as much as something like a Taycan, but overall just enough to get your attention.

As for driving the 450+ and how it compares to the 580, I would say the biggest noticeable difference is of course power. In terms of handling, suspension, steering, and weight, I wouldn't say I noticed much of a difference between the two. They both have a solid "hunkered down" feeling to them. Power is of course where the difference is noticeable, with the 580 being more punchy and responsive especially from a standstill. For the 450, while still of course responsive because of the electric torque which is instant, is a bit more fluid and smoothed out in feeling. Don't get me wrong, this is more than enough power for most buyers looking at this type of vehicle, but after driving the 580, you get spoiled by the power.

I also tested out the regenerative breaking more since we tested out these cars in a more city environment. Overall, I much preferred the standard setting compared to the strong regenerative braking. It just feels a bit too unnatural reaching for the pedal and then noticing it be lower than where you would expect it (as the brake moves with the regeneration), almost spongy in that effect. Bear in mind that I am also still new to EV's and haven't had much experience with regenerative braking. That being said, the standard regeneration provided me with the best braking feel, and gave me more confidence in the braking of the vehicle.

The last difference is of course the Hyperscreen, or lack there of. While the Hyperscreen is indeed very impressive and visually beautiful, I would not mind a non-Hyperscreen equipped EQS. The layout is still very similar, but in a portrait S-Class style, and fairly easy to reach and navigate, just missing a bit of the Hyperscreen's wow factor. For those who also prefer more trim in their vehicles, this also allows for a large amount of trim mainly around the passenger side of the dash. Sadly they didn't have any cars equipped with the Backlit Laser-Cut Star Pattern, but I imagine in conjunction with the ambient lighting that would look very impressive. And honestly, I don't care much about the passenger screen. Also, I'm not sure if I just didn't notice it as much in my drive, but the dash of the EQS feels lower in the standard interior, mainly because it doesn't wrap around the gauge cluster. It just felt more open and visible out the front, but I'd really need to sit back to back in both cars to know if its in my head.

And that's all there is to update, thanks for reading!
The following 3 users liked this post by js_cls:
AppleFan1 (12-13-2021), c4004matic (12-13-2021), MBNUT1 (12-13-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Great report! Thanks for sharing.
The blue does look splendid it was my second choice. However, as with my E43I just had to have the selenite gray magno. Its one of the signature AMG color and its simply, IMO, BOSS. No other brand has it and its always a point of conversation. Lastly its almost bulletproof and needs almost zero care. The care thing is true of all the "magno" paints. All I do is use Meguiars ultimate Fast finish every 3mts or so which takes about 5 min. After 5 years in northern WI of salt sand, sun, -30 etc the paint looks new! The headlamp lenses are noticeably sand and bug pitted in comparison. Lastly I strongly recommend 3M film for the lenses. They are a major pain to install but will prevent all the normal pitting of the headlights. Worth the effort, I wish I had not gone 4 yrs without them.

Last edited by c4004matic; 12-13-2021 at 12:47 PM.
stealth.pilot (12-13-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 02:16 PM

2018 S560; 2022 EQS450+
Thanks very much.

Your review touched several subjective chords with me.
When I have bought cars, beginning in 1954, I have chosen what appeals to me, with no concerns about how others would think about my choice.
My ‘18 S560 is Emerald Green Metallic, and quite frankly, when I saw the car, I was both surprised and disappointed in my selection - way too dark.
I had reluctantly chosen a dark blue for my 450+, but as soon as I learned I could get it in Cardinal Red Metallic, I changed. At this stage of my life (89), I want to make a statement!
I was happy to see your thoughts on the regen setting; I’m certainly planning keeping my setting at standard unless there’s some good reason to switch out of it.
Hyperscreen - pah!
Rear wheel steering - really look forward to this.

js_cls (12-13-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
JS__CLS, is the first color shown above the Cirrus Silver? I'm curious because that's the color I ordered.
Old 12-13-2021, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
JS__CLS, is the first color shown above the Cirrus Silver? I'm curious because that's the color I ordered.
Yep, that is Cirrus Silver.
Old 12-13-2021, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
Yep, that is Cirrus Silver.
Thank you! I actually really like the looks of the Cirrus Silver.
Old 12-13-2021, 06:16 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,405 Likes on 2,848 Posts
2012 CLS63
Great review, thanx for taking the time and energy
js_cls (12-13-2021)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My EQS 580 Review & Comparison to the S-Class: A Tale of Two Kings