EQS EQS (V297) sedan

BUYER BEWARE! HV Battery Failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2022, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 868 Likes on 451 Posts
2023 Urus Performante - 2021 Ferrari Roma - 2017 Ferrari 488 GTB - 2022 GLE 63 S Coupe
Originally Posted by c4004matic
Bogus concern, its like saynig that you would pass on an AMG because somewhere someone had their new engine blew up or caught fire , which is known to have happened more than once with the 8 cylinder 4.0 liter hybrid.in all new AMG cars.. There have been virtually none bricking issues with the EQS. In fact MB has been very proactive with recalls on the vehicle.
Not a bogus concern to me.
Old 09-29-2022, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 726 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by chassis
Same story with the 167. Mega-flop on the 48V system introduction and unknown reliability on the four banger which is descended from an engine with a known problem for cracking pistons.

I am a 167 buyer if the 48V system is discontinued, but I don't think that will happen.

First year or two of a new MB product = strong "do not buy" rating.
Again overstatement. Ive put 50k on my GLS 580. Zero driveline issues. Best SUV ever made by MB.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (09-29-2022)
Old 09-29-2022, 08:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,931 Likes on 3,095 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Super great that it has been a good experience! Enjoy!
Old 09-29-2022, 08:33 PM

Received 442 Likes on 276 Posts
EQS 450+
As far as I know bricking has been extraordinarily rare. Most, if not all, of the 12V systems problems have been from ignorance like keeping the lights on for hours on end with the ignition off. HINT If you are going to be using the 12V system for many hours turn the car on, in neutral with the parking brake engaged. That way the main battery keeps the 12V charged! Almost no one knew that idiosycracy but thanks to these forums it has been figured out. In summary there is no reason to avoid the EQS for any possible battery "problem".They are very, very rare. More common have been issues with MBux going batty but those usually fix themselves with a restart after a few minutes or overnight. In general aside from some teething issues the cars have been very very reliable. The majority of problems have been the usual annoyances with any car with a myriad of doodads, a light that pops up when it shouldnt, clunky door handles, difficulty with charging stations and so on.
The big question is if you are buying a fully baked product or some science experiment that your worried if its going to leave you stranded or blow up. The resounding answer is that the EQS seems to be better put together than pretty much any other EV or ICE car in the fist year of production on the market.
I might add that, recently, when my tablet (MBUX) was blank for 12 hours, the car did not brick. It was fully drivable, including changing regen programs. The driver's screen was fully functional. I had no stereo, no maps, no control over the AC (but the AC was working on my last setting), and was able to charge the car without problems. A bit odd, but the car worked normally otherwise, with the tablet coming back to life the next morning, and a software update to prevent future problems. That's the only problem I've had in almost 9K miles. This is a fabulous car.
Old 09-29-2022, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 726 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by hlothery
I might add that, recently, when my tablet (MBUX) was blank for 12 hours, the car did not brick. It was fully drivable, including changing regen programs. The driver's screen was fully functional. I had no stereo, no maps, no control over the AC (but the AC was working on my last setting), and was able to charge the car without problems. A bit odd, but the car worked normally otherwise, with the tablet coming back to life the next morning, and a software update to prevent future problems. That's the only problem I've had in almost 9K miles. This is a fabulous car.
The drive system and AC are independent of MBUX. They have their own particular little brain.
Old 09-30-2022, 01:24 PM

Received 442 Likes on 276 Posts
EQS 450+
The drive system and AC are independent of MBUX. They have their own particular little brain.
And I am very thankful for this forward thinking design!
Old 02-28-2023, 02:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLC 350e
Oh, sorry to know your story. I have exactly the same symptoms (battery malfunction and towing not permitted).

So how's the car now? Can you clarify what the HV Battery is? Is it expensive to replace? Thank you!
Old 02-28-2023, 02:39 PM

GLC 350e
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Yikes I am sorry to hear that, I was hoping that since your vehicle is a full electric you won't have battery problems like the 48V on ICE powered vehicles. Please keep us posted and good luck getting it fixed!

Are they able to find a way to tow it despite the car clearly asking not to be towed?
Sorry, what is 48V on ICE powered vehicles? I have a GLC PHEV. Does it have a 48V? Thank you!
Old 02-28-2023, 02:43 PM

GLC 350e
The towing not permitted sign is a misnomer. It means it has to be transported on a an not drag towed. There is a way to put the car in neutral even with a dead car. Its in the manual. Finally the rest method is turn the car off, close the doors wait a few minutes and try again. GUYS always RTFM! I know its long boring and sometimes not well wrtten, but most of the likely scenarios are usually there. Bricked EV happen......
Sorry I don't get this. Can you point to me the section about this on the manual? Thank you!
Old 02-28-2023, 04:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by MyMB2019
Sorry, what is 48V on ICE powered vehicles? I have a GLC PHEV. Does it have a 48V? Thank you!
The GLC is a P2 hybrid. Electric motor between ICE engine and transmission.

https://x-engineer.org/mild-hybrid-e...on%20potential.
Old 03-15-2023, 03:53 AM

GLC 350e
Originally Posted by chassis
The GLC is a P2 hybrid. Electric motor between ICE engine and transmission.

https://x-engineer.org/mild-hybrid-e...on%20potential.
I apologize, but my GLC is a PHEV and the link you shared appears to be for an MHEV. I'm assuming that there are differences between the two types of vehicles?

Additionally, I would appreciate it if you could explain why the P0/P1/P2 codes are relevant to my hybrid battery discharging issue. Thank you!
chassis (03-15-2023)
Old 03-15-2023, 05:25 PM

GLC 350e
Originally Posted by eqsnoob
Status update @atlnguy et al, I just escalated to all the channels possible, and got an answer from the service manager - this is a KNOWN ISSUE, and a Service Campaign just came out about this. Right now, the fix is available via a software update at the service department (not sure if it will be an automatic over-the-air update, but definitely hope so).

The manager said he's not aware that EVs could get a jump start at all, but the way this shook out, it's kind of a good thing that the car was bricked right at the dealership charger, which wasn't a good look.

The technicians applied the update and all the critical battery alerts have disappeared on their end, and on the Mercedes Connect app.

EDIT: The name of the software update is Powertrain Control Unit Software Update. It was launched 4/8/22, and can only be performed by the dealer at this time.
Does this resolve the issue?

I had similar issue recently. The service agent told me all software updates were done for recalls. So I doubt if this is the root cause. Thanks!
Old 03-15-2023, 05:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
I apologize, but my GLC is a PHEV and the link you shared appears to be for an MHEV. I'm assuming that there are differences between the two types of vehicles?

Additionally, I would appreciate it if you could explain why the P0/P1/P2 codes are relevant to my hybrid battery discharging issue. Thank you!
You have a P2 hybrid with the electric motor inside (integrated) into the 9G-Tronic transmission. MB calls this a "fourth generation" to confuse things further. This is normal with MB, to confuse things.

The main difference between a MHEV and PHEV is battery capacity (size or range). PHEV battery can recharge from the grid (wall socket) and while driving, MHEV battery can recharge only while driving. Another difference can be the size of the electric motor, which in PHEVs can be larger than in MHEVs because of the larger battery capacity.

You have codes because your battery has problems. This is normal with MB, to deliver engineering failures to consumers. Unfortunately.

To your earlier question on battery replacement cost. Yes, the battery is bloody expensive to replace, if it is no longer covered under warranty.

Look where MB put the battery - above the rear axle. This location makes it more difficult to replace than a fuel (gasoline) tank, which is quite a project to replace in modern cars.

More on P0, P1, etc architectures: https://www.borgwarner.com/docs/defa...rsn=d57c823c_6

Last edited by chassis; 03-15-2023 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-15-2023, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 983 Likes on 719 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Why is this thread being kept alive with it's hyperbolic and apparently untrue title?
Old 03-15-2023, 10:02 PM

GLC 350e
What would be the appropriate or precise title? I apologize as I found some valuable information in this thread and I have responded to some posts that I had uncertainties about.
Old 03-16-2023, 03:04 AM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
What would be the appropriate or precise title? I apologize as I found some valuable information in this thread and I have responded to some posts that I had uncertainties about.
The thread is appropriately titled, when one reads the original post.
Old 03-16-2023, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
"Charging Failure with Battery Malfunction Message"

Last edited by MBNUT1; 03-16-2023 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-17-2023, 07:19 PM

2023 EQS 580 SUV
I suspect I’m having the same issues with my HV battery. I bought a EQS 580 SUV at the end of December and I got my first battery malfunction at the beginning of January. Since then, I received the error message 7 or 8 times. It occurs when trying to turn on the car and I can not get it to work unless I lock the car and walk away for a while (15 minutes).

It’s been at the dealer for 2 weeks and they are stumped. They opened up a case with MB USA within a couple of days. Last I heard they were receiving a special software update from MB USA but it’s been radio silence since then (called and texted several times). Not sure what next steps are but I’m a bit disappointed.
Old 03-18-2023, 02:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Ribnet
I suspect I’m having the same issues with my HV battery. I bought a EQS 580 SUV at the end of December and I got my first battery malfunction at the beginning of January. Since then, I received the error message 7 or 8 times. It occurs when trying to turn on the car and I can not get it to work unless I lock the car and walk away for a while (15 minutes).

It’s been at the dealer for 2 weeks and they are stumped. They opened up a case with MB USA within a couple of days. Last I heard they were receiving a special software update from MB USA but it’s been radio silence since then (called and texted several times). Not sure what next steps are but I’m a bit disappointed.
Sorry to hear. MB product reliability and customer service are bottom of the barrel, unfortunately.

Best wishes for a timely resolution.

Last edited by chassis; 03-18-2023 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-18-2023, 02:49 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
2023 Mercedes ESQ SUV 580 ● 2021 Volvo XC40 Recharge

Sorry to hear this. Please keep us posted. And best of luck.
Old 03-18-2023, 03:01 PM

2023 EQS 580 SUV
Thanks — I will definitely let everyone know how I make it, especially if they find a fix for it as it might help others in a similar situation. In my search for an EV, I considered the BMW iX, Tesla Model X, and Mercedes EQS. The EQS was by far the best of all 3 with respect to comfort and luxury. I honestly love this car except for the battery malfunction. If they make this right, I’ll be excited. If not, I’ll probably force them to buy it back.
chassis (03-18-2023)
Old 03-20-2023, 01:12 PM

2023 EQS 580 SUV
Quick update -- today marks 1 week of no communication from dealer. They won't return calls or text messages. I haven't harassed them, just pinged them twice during the previous 2 weeks to see how they were making out and they always responded quickly (they never reached out proactively, which is unusual since my wife's GLE 350 has gone in for service and they were very good at communicating). I called on Thursday (was my third check in since it went in) with no response. Then, I tried text. I figured it might have missed both and tried again on Friday, then first thing this morning. All with no response. I've been very laid back and asked them to simply keep me posted and not pushing to get car back, just want it fixed properly. I'm starting to suspect that there is a serious issue with my car requiring either costly warranty approval or buy back and they don't want to communicate with me until they have everything aligned with MB USA.

Last edited by Ribnet; 03-20-2023 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-20-2023, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
Keep us posted.
Old 03-20-2023, 03:47 PM

2023 EQS 580 SUV
Finally got an update from the dealer. They said that they updated the HV battery control module software with a new version from MB USA and the error has not come back in their testing. They are confident (for what it's worth) that the issue is resolved. My car was supposed to get ceramic coated in January, but got pushed out so they are going to send it for that now. I will let you know if the issue comes back. For all those in the same boat, this may be the fix. The module software just came out according to the dealer.
MBNUT1 (03-20-2023)
Old 03-20-2023, 09:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,457 Likes on 2,092 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Finally got an update from the dealer. They said that they updated the HV battery control module software with a new version from MB USA and the error has not come back in their testing. They are confident (for what it's worth) that the issue is resolved. My car was supposed to get ceramic coated in January, but got pushed out so they are going to send it for that now. I will let you know if the issue comes back. For all those in the same boat, this may be the fix. The module software just came out according to the dealer.
Thanks for the update, glad to hear they finally developed a fix for this.
MBNUT1 (03-20-2023)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: BUYER BEWARE! HV Battery Failure