EQS EQS (V297) sedan

Electrify America free 30 min charging questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2022, 11:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2023 S500, 2022 G63, 2022 SL55
Electrify America free 30 min charging questions

I just picked up an EQS last night, set up the charge account. Does anyone know how I go about using the free 30min charge from electrify america? Do I need to set up an account separately with them, or will it recognize my car and charge the first 30 for free by just plugging in? Sorry really new to this.
Old 01-12-2022, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,587 Likes on 983 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by nikemikey
I just picked up an EQS last night, set up the charge account. Does anyone know how I go about using the free 30min charge from electrify america? Do I need to set up an account separately with them, or will it recognize my car and charge the first 30 for free by just plugging in? Sorry really new to this.
I believe there is a way to link it to your Mercedes Me account.

Hopefully one of the owners on here can go into a bit more depth on how it works.
Old 01-12-2022, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,122 Likes on 734 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
I have the same question. However, the supposed idea was that you would not have to do anything extra just plug and go. Let us know how how it works out. Not that it makes much of a difference personally since the closest to me is 120 miles away!😳
Old 01-12-2022, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 830 Likes on 659 Posts
Hopefully, Tesla will open their supercharger US sites to other brands of EVs as they have in the Netherlands.
Old 01-12-2022, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by ua549
Hopefully, Tesla will open their supercharger US sites to other brands of EVs as they have in the Netherlands.
In Norway Tesla's are bing shipped with CCS plugs. The Tesla plug is going the same as Chademo...DEAD
Old 01-12-2022, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,666 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by ua549
In Europe the superchargers have a CCS and the propriety Tesla cable. Europe forced Tesla to put a CCS plug on the Model 3. Tesla would have to equip all superchargers in the USA with a CCS cable first, or people would have to buy an adapter.
Old 01-12-2022, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I agree CCS is the future. Proprietary connectors are passé.
The following users liked this post:
SaffsDad (02-06-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by superswiss
In Europe the superchargers have a CCS and the propriety Tesla cable. Europe forced Tesla to put a CCS plug on the Model 3. Tesla would have to equip all superchargers in the USA with a CCS cable first, or people would have to buy an adapter.
sounds good to me!
Old 01-14-2022, 01:50 AM

Received 47 Likes on 14 Posts
2022 EQS 450+
Originally Posted by js_cls
I believe there is a way to link it to your Mercedes Me account.

Hopefully one of the owners on here can go into a bit more depth on how it works.
my dealer connected my charge card to my Mercedes me account. I haven’t tried it yet but apparently now it should just work.
SaffsDad (02-06-2022)
Old 01-14-2022, 06:10 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
None
The dealer setup my Mercedes Me Charge and had me go through the Mercedes Me Connect mobile app to get the Mercedes account setup. It failed at first because I had the Chargepoint app installed. I uninstalled that and was able to go through the setup process that included going to a Mercedes branded Chargepoint web site with some agreements that needed to be confirmed. Now I just plug into the Electrify America charger and the car exchanges billing info. The screen shows the charge, then a member credit.

The credit is for up to 30 minutes and can only be used every few hours. This got me once--I was charging on a slower charger since the 350kW charger was busy. I canceled that and connected to the faster charger when it freed up. I had to pay for the second charging session.

The following 3 users liked this post by pughjl:
Diesel Benz (01-14-2022), js_cls (01-14-2022), SaffsDad (02-06-2022)
Old 01-14-2022, 07:04 PM

Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts
EQS 580
Originally Posted by superswiss
It was the same for the superchargers in Europe - they were all type 2 connectors when they started. As you said, when model 3 came out and had to use CCS, they had to update all their charging stations by adding a second CCS cable. It sounds like they are all retrofitted already. No reason this should not be done in US.
Old 01-15-2022, 09:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Audi
>This got me once--I was charging on a slower charger since the 350kW charger was busy. I canceled that and connected to the faster charger when it freed up

Well…that sucks. From what I watch on YouTube, the EA fast chargers don’t have the best reliability and it seems a standard protocol is to simply move to a different charger. What you say seems to negate that whole strategy. I think I need to reset my expectations that the 2 years of free 30 minute charging will fall far short of what I was hoping.
Old 01-16-2022, 12:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2023 S500, 2022 G63, 2022 SL55
I was finally able to get a chance to stop by at an Electrify America charger and it was incredibly easy. Plugged in and charger recognized car, started my charge and ended it at 30 min and received the immediate credit upon disconnecting from the charger. This will come in handy when you’re at 10% and can use that 30 min to get up to 80% on a 350 charger.
Diesel Benz (01-16-2022)
Old 01-16-2022, 09:42 AM

Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts
EQS 580
Originally Posted by dhilbe
>This got me once--I was charging on a slower charger since the 350kW charger was busy. I canceled that and connected to the faster charger when it freed up

Well…that sucks. From what I watch on YouTube, the EA fast chargers don’t have the best reliability and it seems a standard protocol is to simply move to a different charger. What you say seems to negate that whole strategy. I think I need to reset my expectations that the 2 years of free 30 minute charging will fall far short of what I was hoping.
I used the fast chargers maybe 20 times in 6 years with 4 vehicles - obviously I do not do long trips frequently. I think EA is important only is you depend on fast chargers for your routine (e.g. people in apartments buildings) or if you road trip a lot. Over the last 2 years with the Taycan I never had an instance where no EA charger worked - but on several occasions the 350KW stations were out of order.
Old 01-16-2022, 02:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Audi
Originally Posted by svp6
I used the fast chargers maybe 20 times in 6 years with 4 vehicles - obviously I do not do long trips frequently. I think EA is important only is you depend on fast chargers for your routine (e.g. people in apartments buildings) or if you road trip a lot. Over the last 2 years with the Taycan I never had an instance where no EA charger worked - but on several occasions the 350KW stations were out of order.
yes…..I expect 99% of my charging will be at home. So, I’ll use a DC fast charger only on a couple “away from home” trips per year.
Old 01-16-2022, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A very useful tool is the ChargeHub website map. They also have smartphone apps. I used them when I rented a Bolt for a couple of weeks. One can filter on no cost level 2 stations. Very handy when stopping for more than a few minutes such as a lunch break.
Old 01-18-2022, 09:44 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Rivian R1T
Originally Posted by pughjl
The dealer setup my Mercedes Me Charge and had me go through the Mercedes Me Connect mobile app to get the Mercedes account setup. It failed at first because I had the Chargepoint app installed. I uninstalled that and was able to go through the setup process that included going to a Mercedes branded Chargepoint web site with some agreements that needed to be confirmed. Now I just plug into the Electrify America charger and the car exchanges billing info. The screen shows the charge, then a member credit.

The credit is for up to 30 minutes and can only be used every few hours. This got me once--I was charging on a slower charger since the 350kW charger was busy. I canceled that and connected to the faster charger when it freed up. I had to pay for the second charging session.
On Mercedes Me Connect app, do you have plug & Charge activated?
Old 01-21-2022, 01:01 PM

None
Originally Posted by alexzz123
On Mercedes Me Connect app, do you have plug & Charge activated?
Yes

alexzz123 (01-21-2022)
Old 01-21-2022, 01:06 PM

None
Originally Posted by dhilbe

I found the same issue YouTuber's had. At my local charging station, one of the chargers doesn't work. Fortunately, trying and failing to connect doesn't count as a charging session since the unit failed to handshake with the car correctly. Trying another charger when one fails won't negate the free charging status.
dhilbe (01-22-2022)
Old 02-02-2022, 09:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
EQS ordered, 2018 GLS
I just picked up car today and tried to charge but said “payment declined”. I activated charge point and Mercedes me. Does it take a couple of days to register?
Old 02-02-2022, 10:42 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Rivian R1T
Originally Posted by AstroCV
I just picked up car today and tried to charge but said “payment declined”. I activated charge point and Mercedes me. Does it take a couple of days to register?
Check Chargepoint to make sure everything is working.

I would also check if everything activated in the car. If not, bring it back to the dealership to check to see if the modules are updated. That's what fixed my problems
Old 02-03-2022, 05:50 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
EQS 450+
I have used both Charge Point and Electrify America and both worked easily with the Mercedes Me Charge card. I simply scanned the card at the station and everything went from there. My wife did have a problem with one Electrify America station that did not recognize the Charge Card, so we have downloaded the EA app just as a backup.
Old 02-03-2022, 09:10 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
EQS ordered, 2018 GLS
Originally Posted by Old Dawg
I have used both Charge Point and Electrify America and both worked easily with the Mercedes Me Charge card. I simply scanned the card at the station and everything went from there. My wife did have a problem with one Electrify America station that did not recognize the Charge Card, so we have downloaded the EA app just as a backup.
maybe my dealer forgot to give me a scannable charge card. I only have a keychain card provided by charge point with a mbusa number but no barcode. Is the charge card you are referring to credit card size with barcode or at code? Thanks
Old 02-03-2022, 09:21 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
EQS 450+
No, the Mercedes Me Charge card is not CC size. It's quite small maybe a little over an inch square. Hole in it like it should go on a key chain. But it is from Mercedes Me and is designed to work with both Electrify America (free) and Charge point just by holding it up to the station. It is linked to my Credit Card so that if I want to go over the 30 minutes free from EA or use Charge Point it goes to my CC kind of like PayPal. Our only complaint was that as it is obviously designed to go on a key chain and they gave us two smart keys, we should have gotten two of these cards. I made the mistake of putting it in my pocket once rather than leaving it in the car.....opps.
Old 02-03-2022, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 406 Likes on 284 Posts
23 EQS 580 SUV, 19 X7 (sold), 17/14 GLS550 (sold) 13 GL550 (sold)
Originally Posted by Old Dawg
No, the Mercedes Me Charge card is not CC size. It's quite small maybe a little over an inch square. Hole in it like it should go on a key chain. But it is from Mercedes Me and is designed to work with both Electrify America (free) and Charge point just by holding it up to the station. It is linked to my Credit Card so that if I want to go over the 30 minutes free from EA or use Charge Point it goes to my CC kind of like PayPal. Our only complaint was that as it is obviously designed to go on a key chain and they gave us two smart keys, we should have gotten two of these cards. I made the mistake of putting it in my pocket once rather than leaving it in the car.....opps.
Maybe you could post a picture of your card with your name and any codes blocked.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Electrify America free 30 min charging questions