Finally Picked up my EQS 580

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2022, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 853 Likes on 547 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by hlothery
Just a word.....not everyone is enthralled by AWD. Have only had one sedan which was AWD. RWD is fine by many folks, myself included. Clearly, most of you on this forum in the US prefer AWD, but MB may not have gotten this wrong. I would like to have a hyperscreen, aesthetically, but functionally the 580 gives me AWD (which I don't require), hyperscreen (which I don't need, since I rarely have a passenger), and rear seat enhancements (which I clearly don't need as I almost never have a rear seat passenger), for $25K more. The 450 is perfect for my needs. MB got my needs right, and I suspect I am not alone. Just sayin'....YMMV.
Sure. Obviously for some people the RWD model makes sense. It's not a big segment because it is being discontinued in the US.

I don't know why you need to keep making this point over and over again though. If people are asking about 580 allocations, it is because they want a 580.
Old 02-17-2022, 04:50 PM

Received 469 Likes on 295 Posts
2022 EQS 450+
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Sure. Obviously for some people the RWD model makes sense. It's not a big segment because it is being discontinued in the US.

I don't know why you need to keep making this point over and over again though. If people are asking about 580 allocations, it is because they want a 580.
Sorry. I'll shut up.
Old 02-18-2022, 02:21 PM

Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts
2020 E53 CABRIOLET 2021 S580 (TRADED), 2023 EQS580 SEDAN SEDAN
Originally Posted by js_cls
This is actually the opposite, people don't want the EQS450+ mainly because it is RWD, hence why they are sitting on dealer lots, especially in areas with colder climates. Mercedes has actually cancelled the RWD variant in the US and all future 450+'s will be AWD for the US market. The Hyperscreen simply requires so many chips and is harder to produce. Last year MB told dealers that approximately 20% of all EQS production would be 580 models.
Where are you getting the information about RWD being cancelled in the U.S.A? What you're saying makes sense and would follow the S Class (gas engine) line (in the U.S.A.). Here is the question: So, you make all three EQS models with AWD, does doing so with the extra motor change the name to EQS500 (400 plus HP) to stay inline with the gas powered S? Obviously adding another motor to the EQS 450+ will boost the H.P. output.
Old 02-18-2022, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by ALANPRIEBE
Where are you getting the information about RWD being cancelled in the U.S.A? What you're saying makes sense and would follow the S Class (gas engine) line (in the U.S.A.). Here is the question: So, you make all three EQS models with AWD, does doing so with the extra motor change the name to EQS500 (400 plus HP) to stay inline with the gas powered S? Obviously adding another motor to the EQS 450+ will boost the H.P. output.
https://mbworld.org/forums/eqs/83521...ml#post8512469
Old 02-18-2022, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Thanks!
Old 02-19-2022, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 484 Likes on 359 Posts
2014 Mercedes E350 4matic Wagon, 2018 Fiat 124 Spyder Lusso manual, 2005 Acura TSX manual
Just a word.....not everyone is enthralled by AWD. Have only had one sedan which was AWD. RWD is fine by many folks, myself included. Clearly, most of you on this forum in the US prefer AWD, but MB may not have gotten this wrong. I would like to have a hyperscreen, aesthetically, but functionally the 580 gives me AWD (which I don't require), hyperscreen (which I don't need, since I rarely have a passenger), and rear seat enhancements (which I clearly don't need as I almost never have a rear seat passenger), for $25K more. The 450 is perfect for my needs. MB got my needs right, and I suspect I am not alone. Just sayin'....YMMV.
I do think you’re in the minority. Most people, especially in northern cities like NY/Boston/DC, Chicago, and Seattle where a lot of the people interested in this car live, require AWD, and even in LA or Houston, people don’t necessarily need it but think they do.

Also the 580 doesn’t have any rear seat enhancements vs the 450+
Old 02-19-2022, 06:32 PM

My two cents! It's your money, buy what you want, nobody should look down their nose on your choice, I live in Brentwood, TN, don't really need 4MATIC but like it, it rains a lot down here, always sure footed! Plus being a old gearhead like the added power! Have fun, hopefully I'll get my allotment soon, chip shortage and Hyperscreen's are not playing nice together, good night MB folks!
Old 02-21-2022, 05:09 PM

2022 EQS 450+
My two cents! It's your money, buy what you want, nobody should look down their nose on your choice, I live in Brentwood, TN, don't really need 4MATIC but like it, it rains a lot down here, always sure footed! Plus being a old gearhead like the added power! Have fun, hopefully I'll get my allotment soon, chip shortage and Hyperscreen's are not playing nice together, good night MB folks!
Thanks. Like I said, it's perfect for me. Didn't mean to offend anyone. Had a 580 been available, I probably would have considered it. Hope you guys get your cars sooner, rather than later. It'll be interesting to see how the EQS, in all it's iterations, stands up to the other EVs in mileage, quality, and longevity.
Old 02-21-2022, 05:31 PM

Thanks. Like I said, it's perfect for me. Didn't mean to offend anyone. Had a 580 been available, I probably would have considered it. Hope you guys get your cars sooner, rather than later. It'll be interesting to see how the EQS, in all it's iterations, stands up to the other EVs in mileage, quality, and longevity.
Mileage (range) upper 2/3s, right now, Quality, probably the top tier, Longevity, should probably last, it have a quality car company backing it up with many dealers to help. There were a couple reasons why I stopped looking at Lucid, A startup company, not a lot of dealers (showrooms) around, hell, I sent a salesperson a note, it took two or three days for a reply? People complain about the shape of the EQS, I'm not one of them. I was in the dealer Saturday, they had a GT53 and a EQS450+ in the same room, looking it over these two car are very similar from the front door back, the EQS has a stubby door forward look different than the GT, I guess that's what no engine does to design? I checked around and it does look like the EQS450+ will be doing the 4Matic sometime second half of 2022 I was told no power increase which is hard to believe, you put another motor in and no gain? If both cars use the same motor in back (329 H.P.), The EQS450+ stops there, so that would mean the front motor on the EQS580 generates 187 H.P. (total 516 H.P. output)? If the EQS450+ 4Matic would use (front & rear) smaller motors like the front motor on the 580 that would boost it to 374 H.P. total output and closer to the gap of the gas powered S Class cars?
Old 02-21-2022, 09:52 PM

2022 EQS 450+
Mileage (range) upper 2/3s, right now, Quality, probably the top tier, Longevity, should probably last, it have a quality car company backing it up with many dealers to help. There were a couple reasons why I stopped looking at Lucid, A startup company, not a lot of dealers (showrooms) around, hell, I sent a salesperson a note, it took two or three days for a reply? People complain about the shape of the EQS, I'm not one of them. I was in the dealer Saturday, they had a GT53 and a EQS450+ in the same room, looking it over these two car are very similar from the front door back, the EQS has a stubby door forward look different than the GT, I guess that's what no engine does to design? I checked around and it does look like the EQS450+ will be doing the 4Matic sometime second half of 2022 I was told no power increase which is hard to believe, you put another motor in and no gain? If both cars use the same motor in back (329 H.P.), The EQS450+ stops there, so that would mean the front motor on the EQS580 generates 187 H.P. (total 516 H.P. output)? If the EQS450+ 4Matic would use (front & rear) smaller motors like the front motor on the 580 that would boost it to 374 H.P. total output and closer to the gap of the gas powered S Class cars?
Feel the same about Lucid, although they intrigue me still. But, I would have to get the car to Dallas (300 miles) for any necessary service, assuming the Dallas dealership actually does materialize. If the HP remains the same in a 4WD 450+, I'd still have to think twice. I'm getting SOC predictions of 411 miles at 100% charge on my 450+. Would two smaller motors use more juice, or less? We'll see how it goes over time. All good, though, IMO.
Old 02-22-2022, 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Feel the same about Lucid, although they intrigue me still. But, I would have to get the car to Dallas (300 miles) for any necessary service, assuming the Dallas dealership actually does materialize. If the HP remains the same in a 4WD 450+, I'd still have to think twice. I'm getting SOC predictions of 411 miles at 100% charge on my 450+. Would two smaller motors use more juice, or less? We'll see how it goes over time. All good, though, IMO.
Good questions. Historically when MB has a 450 RWD or a 450 AWD car, they have the same HP. That said, most 450 models have the same engine, and in the case of the EV they have different motors so I don't know how that would work. It would have been more logical for them to call the AWD 450 a 500 which would line up well with the S-Class nomenclature and would accommodate a higher HP using 2 580 front motors.
The following users liked this post:
ALANPRIEBE (02-22-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 08:55 AM

[QUOTE=hlothery;8517334]Feel the same about Lucid, although they intrigue me still. But, I would have to get the car to Dallas (300 miles) for any necessary service, assuming the Dallas dealership actually does materialize. If the HP remains the same in a 4WD 450+, I'd still have to think twice. I'm getting SOC predictions of 411 miles at 100% charge on my 450+. Would two smaller motors use more juice, or less? We'll see how it goes over time. All good, though, IMO.[/QUOTE
The EPA on the 450+ is (350) MILES RANGE, the 580 (340), the European standard rates high, the EPA rates low but 411 miles (according to Edmunds) is good range. There are many factors that move the range meter, it appears in warmer weather you get better mileage, in colder worse. Hell, have a second helping at dinner and your range goes down! I think I read somewhere (maybe Lucid's website) that 19" tires gives you 511 range, 21" tires 470 range? At my age 3 or 4 hours driving before a pit stop is about it, so if you can find a DC Station, stop juice up (car), juice out (you) and have a coffee or soda and away you go. Remember on 4Matic EV's I believe the front motor kicks out when not needed much like cylinder deactivation on gas engines but if they do go to 4Matic on the 450 I'm guessing 5 / 10 miles range loss? We'll see?
Old 02-22-2022, 07:58 PM

2022 EQS 450+
[QUOTE=ALANPRIEBE;8517525]
Feel the same about Lucid, although they intrigue me still. But, I would have to get the car to Dallas (300 miles) for any necessary service, assuming the Dallas dealership actually does materialize. If the HP remains the same in a 4WD 450+, I'd still have to think twice. I'm getting SOC predictions of 411 miles at 100% charge on my 450+. Would two smaller motors use more juice, or less? We'll see how it goes over time. All good, though, IMO.[/QUOTE
The EPA on the 450+ is (350) MILES RANGE, the 580 (340), the European standard rates high, the EPA rates low but 411 miles (according to Edmunds) is good range. There are many factors that move the range meter, it appears in warmer weather you get better mileage, in colder worse. Hell, have a second helping at dinner and your range goes down! I think I read somewhere (maybe Lucid's website) that 19" tires gives you 511 range, 21" tires 470 range? At my age 3 or 4 hours driving before a pit stop is about it, so if you can find a DC Station, stop juice up (car), juice out (you) and have a coffee or soda and away you go. Remember on 4Matic EV's I believe the front motor kicks out when not needed much like cylinder deactivation on gas engines but if they do go to 4Matic on the 450 I'm guessing 5 / 10 miles range loss? We'll see?
My 450 definitely likes warmer weather. These are, obviously, theoretical discussions for me, as I have already made my choice. But very interesting to comtemplate. Bottom line, this is a fantastic car, whether 450 0r 580. I agree with the need for more frequent stops at my age, just not sure if the battery degradation issues some Tesla owners talk about is from the constant DC charging vs overnight AC charging. Local driving is not a problem, but road trips....is DC fast charging really good for the battery in the long run? Not sure. Really exciting to be on the forefront of all this stuff, tho. Love all the expertise on this board!
Old 02-23-2022, 06:11 AM

Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts
EQS 580
[QUOTE=hlothery;8517976]
My 450 definitely likes warmer weather. These are, obviously, theoretical discussions for me, as I have already made my choice. But very interesting to comtemplate. Bottom line, this is a fantastic car, whether 450 0r 580. I agree with the need for more frequent stops at my age, just not sure if the battery degradation issues some Tesla owners talk about is from the constant DC charging vs overnight AC charging. Local driving is not a problem, but road trips....is DC fast charging really good for the battery in the long run? Not sure. Really exciting to be on the forefront of all this stuff, tho. Love all the expertise on this board!
I don't think battery degradation will be an issue for the majority of people. I seldom do road trips, so not much DC charging for me. With those things in mind, I have only had 1-2% range drop over 3 years in the 4 EVs before the EQS. I would not expect the EQS to be different.
The following users liked this post:
hlothery (02-23-2022)
Old 02-23-2022, 01:46 PM

2022 EQS 450+
Interestingly, it's 34 degrees here today, was 85 yesterday!. Charged to 80% last night, SOC reading was 353 when I got in. Went to a shopping center across town, about 24 miles round trip. Lost 40 miles before the end of my block, and was 276 when I returned from the trip. Cold weather makes an incredible difference, I had not preconditioned or anything. Another reason for me to hate winter.